It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are enough Republican crossover votes to pass a clean CR, Boehner won't allow the vote

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

kaylaluv

And yet, Obama was elected for a second term by the people, making the ACA a sure thing.

Yes but still the electorate decided to keep the House Republican as well. House controls the pursestrings.

The ACA WAS a compromise -- the insurance mandate was not originally a Democrat idea. The Democrats wanted a single payer system. Don't you see that it wouldn't matter what Obama did - the GOP had an agenda of making him a "one-term president" -- no matter what he did, they would be against it. There would never be a compromise acceptable to the GOP. Ever.

No, compromise is when each side works out an agreement that has solid backing from both sides. Your thought process is not one of a compromise, not that Republicans were looking to cut a deal either. Look to Medicare Part D for how a compromise works...... Neither side gets all it's wants and both sides get something. When you have legislation that only one Party votes for, something is not right. I would say the same for Legislation the Republicans voted for and not a single Democrat did.

Even back in 95 and 96 when both sides were diametrically opposed to each other and there were TWO shutdowns, they ended up with 4 Balanced Budgets and the Clinton Surplus. Both sides got to really enact Legislation. A real Leader know when to let others take the Limelight to get their overall goals met.

The bitter partisanship started in the Bush Administration and has festered like a bad wound since. I blame both parties equally for it.

Neither Party has it right, which is why you have seen the Tea Party and Occupy Wall street.

It's sad that neither side will give the other a bone...... now they will both choke on them.

Vote them ALL out and start over. But Americans will never do that. Times like this make me want Term Limits even more.
edit on 4-10-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Exactly, I remember when many here told back during the Bush Jr, years that everything hid did in the government was going to open the door for abuses latter on with the next administration, you are very much right about how all this mess that now has empowered the government to do the unthinkable, with no regrets and feeling of guild toward the voters and tax payers.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by undo

hehe not to be persnickety, cause i agree with you most of the time, but that's "YOU'RE AN IDIOT"
your is possessive, as in your car, your house. but if someone IS something, then you need the ARE
statement. so its contracted form "you're"

Thank you!!!! My college English writing teacher would want to slap me for becoming so sloppy! roflma

I really do thank you! I love to learn, even things I learned years ago and forgot about!!!!

You made me laugh and smile with that touché !

don't mention it.

i make mistakes all the time, but that was just too good to pass up. hehe

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

AlienScience
So does anyone on the Right have an opinion of Boehner not allowing a vote that he knows a majority in the house supports that would end the government shutdown?

Seems like all of you want to talk about anything except that simple fact.

Don't you remember back when Boehner first became "weeper" of the House? Well those tears were long in the coming and they were the result of him realizing his lifelong dream of being recognized as "better than his peers."

Simply put, the man is a raging narcissist, who can't stand the idea of losing his speakership and that's exactly what will happen if he entertains a vote on a clean C.R., the radical right-wingers in the House will vote his ass out and he knows it.

Hope that answers your question.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

kaylaluv
Don't you see that it wouldn't matter what Obama did - the GOP had an agenda of making him a "one-term president" -- no matter what he did, they would be against it.

I disagree. If the GOP wanted the Presidency, they could have run someone other than Romney. Romney would have kept Obamacare and made it worse, and we would definately have "official" boots on the ground in Syria by now. As much as I dislike Obama, there is no way I could cast a vote for Romney.

But I do agree that the Republicans must to appear to be against whatever the Democrats want. Otherwise, people might catch on. As I've said before, the two scariest words that can come out of DC is "bipartisan support."

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Title 18, U.S.C., Section 241 – Conspiracy Against Rights:

Conspiracy to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person's rights or privileges secured by the Constitution or the laws of the United States[136]

Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242 – Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law:

It is a crime for any person acting under color of law (federal, state or local officials who enforce statutes, ordinances, regulations, or customs) to willfully deprive or cause to be deprived the rights, privileges, or immunities of any person secured or protected by the Constitution and laws of the U.S. This includes willfully subjecting or causing to be subjected any person to different punishments, pains, or penalties, than those prescribed for punishment of citizens on account of such person being an alien or by reason of his/her color or race.

I wonder how many.. man what an awesome law we have there. US law is interesting.
Look at this
Peonage
Refers to a person in "debt servitude," or involuntary servitude tied to the payment of a debt. Compulsion to servitude includes the use of force, the threat of force, or the threat of legal coercion to compel a person to work.

Involuntary servitude
Refers to a person held by actual force, threats of force, or threats of legal coercion in a condition of slavery – compulsory service or labor against his or her will. This includes the condition in which people are compelled to work by a "climate of fear" evoked by the use of force, the threat of force, or the threat of legal coercion (i.e., suffer legal consequences unless compliant with demands made upon them) which is sufficient to compel service.

These things came from the 13th? amazing. I wish our federal Government was that awesome. I know the people are, we are pretty set in our minds when it comes to Liberty. Right folks? How did the supreme court not see this when it came to the question of mandates?

One cannot buy anything if one does not work, and this individual mandate makes you pay a penalty if you don't buy insurance. Since no one can make you work, no one can make you buy insurance and you have to work to have money to buy it.
so now you are forced into a penalty. The Supreme Court ruled in Clyatt v. United States (1905) that peonage was involuntary servitude. It held that although employers sometimes described their workers' entry into contract as voluntary, the servitude of peonage was always (by definition) involuntary.

I think the individual mandate is invalid and elected people are actively trying to get us to comply with it.
OOOOOOOO! .gub I'MMMMMMMMMM TELLLLLLLLINNNNNNNN!

lol You Feds broke the Government.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I think Harry Reid should stand by his guns.

He should stand by his arguments against raising the debt ceiling....

He said it's not fair to raise the debt for our grandchildren...

He said we need to reduce debt, not increase it !!!!

" Harry Reid in '06: Raising debt limit last thing we should do, will weaken country, hurt economy "

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

xuenchen
I think Harry Reid should stand by his guns.

He should stand by his arguments against raising the debt ceiling....

He said it's not fair to raise the debt for our grandchildren...

He said we need to reduce debt, not increase it !!!!

" Harry Reid in '06: Raising debt limit last thing we should do, will weaken country, hurt economy "

How pathetic is that?

I heard a quote today, and immediately I thought of a liberal. I mean liberals were the first thought in my mind.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

X..............these Democrats are far from being liberals anymore! Call them what they are. Progressives!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

seeker1963

X..............these Democrats are far from being liberals anymore! Call them what they are. Progressives!

One step beyond....

Ultra-Progressives !!!!

Remember, we now live in the Twilight Zone

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

xstealth

AlienScience

Obama doesn't have when to vote when he tells all he will veto any efforts, there is no point of it going to a vote.

LOL.

Then why do House Republicans continue to vote?

They will vote on anything except the one thing they know will end the shutdown and that Obama will sign.

But you continue to say it is Obama, who has no control right at this moment, to do anything about the shutdown.

They continue to vote because it's their job.

They do it, Obama doesn't, he will probably go golfing this weekend.

You forget how our government works, you and Obama want it to be a dictatorship, but it's not.

You talk yourself in circles.

First it is Obama's fault, then I explain that Obama has no role in this because he has no vote in Congress, then it is useless to vote on a clean CR because of Obama, but now Republicans are voting on bills they know don't have a chance to get through the Senate to do their job....circles man...complete circles.

Republicans could do their job and vote on a clean CR, which will pass because enough republicans have supported it, which would pass the Senate and Obama would sign it.

Instead, they are just wasting time passing bills they 100% know have zero chance of passing the Senate.

But go ahead, keep supporting them for "doing their job".

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Funny you mention that:

House voted to fund emergency & disaster relief; White House response?

There it is, the political football.

Can I say I called it? Let's see what might be next...hey...maybe they will pick up a story about something going on at the Mexico border and then they will use that as their next political football to try to fund that.

Do you not see what is going on, seriously?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

marg6043

Yes I was watching the bills that has been brought out as emergency that has nothing to do with the debate in question but just to keep certain keys areas within the population and local government working but I am now starting to realized that the Democrats do not give two rat arses of anything but getting what they want, screw the people, services and needs.

Now we know how things are done in Washington.

They should ignore every single piecemeal bill they send over.

Otherwise, they are letting them off the hook for their idiotic political move. Republicans wanted this shutdown, just go look at comments they have been making for the past 2 years. Now that they have it, they are feeling the heat and trying to fund things piece by piece to make people happy.

Sorry, doesn't work that way...they made their bed...now they have to suffer the consequences.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

AlienScience

xstealth

AlienScience

Obama doesn't have when to vote when he tells all he will veto any efforts, there is no point of it going to a vote.

LOL.

Then why do House Republicans continue to vote?

They will vote on anything except the one thing they know will end the shutdown and that Obama will sign.

But you continue to say it is Obama, who has no control right at this moment, to do anything about the shutdown.

They continue to vote because it's their job.

They do it, Obama doesn't, he will probably go golfing this weekend.

You forget how our government works, you and Obama want it to be a dictatorship, but it's not.

You talk yourself in circles.

First it is Obama's fault, then I explain that Obama has no role in this because he has no vote in Congress, then it is useless to vote on a clean CR because of Obama, but now Republicans are voting on bills they know don't have a chance to get through the Senate to do their job....circles man...complete circles.

Republicans could do their job and vote on a clean CR, which will pass because enough republicans have supported it, which would pass the Senate and Obama would sign it.

Instead, they are just wasting time passing bills they 100% know have zero chance of passing the Senate.

But go ahead, keep supporting them for "doing their job".

Insulate and build the wall around Obama is the theme of the week.

Just like chess.

Senate Democratic leadership refused to consider a resolution (H.R. 3220), supported by Senator Ted Cruz (R - TX) on Friday , to make continuing appropriations during the government shutdown and provide pay and allowances to members of the reserve components of the military, among other piecemeal bills proposed by House Republicans. However, the Democrats fully supported a (S.R. 266) and unanimously voted on a resolution to designate the week of October 7 through 13, 2013, as “National Chess Week."

Senate Democrats Pass 'National Chess Week' Resolution

Hmmm.

I was never convinced the Senate understood the game

I must have been mistaken

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

xuenchen

AlienScience
reply to post by xuenchen

Especially flub schlock sloppy outfits like Twitter etc.

So do you think someone hacked all their Twitter accounts? Or do you simply not know how Twitter works?

What about the press releases from these Representatives offices...were those hacked as well? Or is that another evil Liberal lie?

What press releases ?

Hmmm.

You don't read the posted sources much do you?

Rep. Pat Meehan (R-Pa.): “At this point, I believe it’s time for the House to vote for a clean, short-term funding bill to bring the Senate to the table and negotiate a responsible compromise.” [Press Release, 10/1/13]

Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.): A Grimm aide told The Huffington Post that the congressman supports a clean continuing resolution. [10/1/13].

Rep. Jon Runyan (R-N.J.): “Enough is enough. Put a clean [continuing resolution] on the floor and let’s get on with the business we were sent to do." [Burlington County Times, 10/1/13]

Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.): A Fitzpatrick aide tells the Philadelphia Inquirer the congressman would support a clean funding bill if it came up for a vote. [Philadelphia Inquirer, 10/1/13]

Rep. Frank LoBiondo (R-N.J.): LoBiondo told The Press of Atlantic City he'll support "whatever gets a successful conclusion" to the shutdown and a clean funding bill "is one of those options." [The Press of Atlantic City, 10/1/13]

Rep. Jim Gerlach (R-Pa.): The congressman issued a statement saying he would "vote in favor of a so-called clean budget bill." [Office of Rep. Jim Gerlach, 10/2/13].

Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.): The congressman told Miami Herald reporter Marc Caputo that he would vote for a clean funding bill, provided it has the same funding levels contained in the Senate-passed bill. [The Miami Herald, 10/2/13]

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

pavil

Indigo5

That is why if I like ACA or not is irrelevant. This is effectively a coup d'état...seizing power form the people.

One could very well contend that the election of a Republican Majority in the House after the ACA vote was the People's will.... careful with your talk. It is called the House of Representatives for a reason. Those pesky Founding Fathers.

Except the "people" seemed to forgot the Senate and the Presidency...which would be key to getting the ACA repealed.

They got 1 out of the 3 pieces they would need...Democrats got 2 out of 3 to ensure the ACA will continue. Looks like Democrats won...again...and again....and again.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Why doesn't the Senate allow votes on their floor to approve the House proposals? They would PASS that's why...

The Senate could have passed ANY of the HOUSE bills and passed it on to the President for his VETO, and then it would come back to Congress, and then the blame game could start...

THis clean CR BS is just that BS.... it's to avoid having focus drawn on the Dems, and while I can't stand the current state of our elected, can understand why the Reps are holding on to this leverage, at least for now, we are getting folks to pay attention to what is happening in DC...

It's ugly, it should have stopped years ago... come on.. a CR... How about passing a budget for once CONGRESS... it's your JOB #1 that goes for ALL of you overpaid whiny elected hacks.... D or R

We have HAD IT!!! ( or at least I have)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

It is "Your AN idiot."

It's actually "You're an idiot".

If you are going to correct someone, you probably should know you are correct yourself.

At least the other guy had the excuse of being kind of drunk.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Someone actually already pointed that out to me.

But hey! I love to be educated!

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Why doesn't the Senate allow votes on their floor to approve the House proposals? They would PASS that's why...

It would pass?

Are you sure of that? Do you have the names of the Democrats that would vote with the Republicans? Do you have their public statements that say they are ready to pass the House proposals?

Because I have the list of names of the House of Republicans that said they are ready to vote on a clean CR and it is enough to pass it.

So let's see the list of Senate Democrats that support the House proposals.

The Senate could have passed ANY of the HOUSE bills and passed it on to the President for his VETO, and then it would come back to Congress, and then the blame game could start...

The Senate voted on the first CR the House sent over (the one Cruz tried to stall even though he supported it). They amended it to remove the ACA modifications and sent it back to the House for approval. So to say that they haven't voted on any of the House bills is 100% untrue.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join