It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you do not allow us to raise the debt ceiling you will not get your SS check says Obama

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

sean
When are these idiots going to get it?? Social Security was meant to be a trust fund and has nothing to do with federal money. When you look on your paycheck there is State, Federal & SS. Now if the government went and blew that federal money on pizza, beer & hookers how is that our problem? Go ahead and take peoples SS and find out what happens. Those in government won't be able to sleep well at night.

Maybe someone should file a lawsuit over misappropriating our money. I'm pretty sure the laws still show that social security is a collective trust fund for the citizens of this country. Not for anything more. Who knows - maybe they changed them when we weren't looking. Regardless - it is my understanding it is not a high risk forced investment but rather a guaranteed one so his statement is telling. In fact - where is the attention to this comment in the media - with the spin of the topic you speak of.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Hitting the debt ceiling is not the same as a government shutdown.

We are in a shutdown right now, and yes SS checks are going out...that is not in question. Come Oct. 17th though, it is a whole other story and SS checks may not go out if we hit the debt ceiling.

These are facts, simple facts.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

grey580
Is it me or did Obama just threaten the largest section of registered voters in the USA?

It's just you I guess? I didn't hear any threat, I heard a plain explanation of the facts, no money means no government benefits. Obama actually speaks the plain and simple truth for once, why is that stupid?

IS HE STUPID?

Could you elaborate? It's actually quite smart, Obama never has to run for office again, he has nothing to worry about, and as of right now the Republicans are by far getting the most flack for this shutdown and potential debt default, so why wouldn't he put that out there to rally the largest voting block and the block that is most in tune with politics and voicing there opinions to there respective representatives. I could see this working out very well for him actually.

Don't answer that.

Already did.
edit on 10/4/2013 by Uniceft17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

crazyewok

That wont be enough. I would start either fortifying your home so the banks dont steal it when you lose your job or just buy a mobile home and live off the grid.

If the USA defaults you will have the great depression the sequal. You will be looking at 20%+ unemployment at least.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not interested in temporary pain or fixes. Will not raising the debt ceiling cause pain? It most certainly will. Is it what's REALLY needed for this nation? Absolutely. There's a saying most have heard, and it happens to be true. "No pain, no gain." This nation is spending itself crazy. We're over 16 TRILLION dollars in the hole, and far worse than that if you include projected Social Security and Medicaid benefits payments.

I don't want that number to go up ever again. You think the dollar would collapse if we defaulted on our payments? What do you think is happening in slow motion to our dollar with every rise of the debt ceiling? The exact same thing. When I was a kid, my folks could fill the trunk of the car full of groceries for $20. Today, that same $20 can be easily walked out the front door of the store in a single bag that isn't even full. The dollar is already dying. Those of us who've been around a day or two, know this. When I started driving, I would have never thought that gasoline would be over a dollar a gallon. Our dollar is already dying. It's time to just stop things now and take the pain. It's time to do a reset and that includes forcing our government to spend far less than it currently is. That might mean that we can't have all those military bases overseas. It might mean that we can't hand out cash to any country that comes asking for it. It might mean that we can't be a primary donor to the IMF, and the UN. It might mean that we as a nation had better start dealing with our own major problems within our borders before we start dealing with other people's problems beyond our borders.

This is going to happen one way or another. It'll either happen now, which I'm hoping it does so we can at least start working toward recovery. Or it'll happen later when we have even more debt burden than we currently have. How much debt is enough? 22 Trillion? 47 Trillion? How about 117 Trillion? Where is that line? People are panicking right now saying there's no way we can pay our bills with the 16 Trillion we owe, and yet they are screaming for us to have even more debt? They are the true idiots. They want their money, but want to push off the consequences for later. No dice.

Stop the whole system. This accumulation of debt simply must end. The last time this nation was debt free, Andrew Jackson was President, and he was fighting a central bank then as we are today. See a pattern? History does repeat itself if we're too stupid to avoid lessons learned in the past. Hyperinflation will come, and it's an unfortunate stop along the way to recovery. You don't think it's coincidence that the new $100 is being released this month do you? I think they knew the party was ending and the tab for the party is going to hurt. A lot.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

sulaw
Scare tactics!!! Got them??

I'm 31yrs old now, honestly with the way the state of the economy is. I don't expect there to be SS when I become of age... If the state of the economy hasn't already collapsed or whatever you want to say~

Well that's the problem. You young guys give up to easy. Social Security is a darn good program. Sitting aside a portion of earnings provides a living when the living ain't easy. We all get old. So it's good in this respect.

The one thing, besides the obvious what happens to granny?, is the effects that come from the withdrawal of this huge amount of money from the economy.

Social Security is a good idea and a good program. Don't give up on it.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos1220

So true, the unknown is what everyone is afraid of. Though when it comes to Americans drastic is all we know. So default is the only solution. (Reason I say this, I asked a co-worker about his thoughts on the economy. All he could say is I don't care about that. What about that high school football game tonight. Really, and ats you better believe their are millions more like him.) America has to fall, how else can we get back up?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm no fan of Obama, but I am also no fan of the modern Tea Party of Michelle Bachman/Ted Cruz, etc. I more relate to the Tea Party of 2006 during the Ron Paul revolution, before it was hijacked by crazy religious FAR RIGHT neo-con's.

Saying that, I don't agree at all with the Tea Party threatening a default, the government shutdown doesn't bother me AS MUCH, but it still isn't a good thing for the fellow citizens being impacted negatively and for the ones who aren't working and the ones who are working without pay while these dumb ass Representatives get there paychecks.

Holding a gun to the head of not only the US Economy but the World-Wide Economy because of Obamacare isn't just stupid but it's absolutely TREASONOUS. It's is not the Presidents job to raise the debt, there are no pre-conditions to raising the debt, congress raises the debt, plain and simple. Budgets and all that other stuff is settled seperately, PURPOSEFULLY to prevent what we are going through today.

I'm a STRICT Constitutionalist. And according to Article 14: Section 4 of the US Constitution it states:

Section 4.

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any state shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

SHALL NOT BE QUESTIONED! So, plain and simple raise the debt, no questions asked or you destroy what little is left of this once great nation. The so-called Tea Party claim that they are strict Constitutionalist but apparently not, but I'm not worried so much after this latest crisis that they have created for themselves, they have already dug there grave and are slipping more and more into irrelevancy day by day.

This is the reason why the Tea Party of 2006 was hijacked, it's all been orchestrated and all the work of hijacking the original Tea Party and all the investing of millions of dollars over the past 7 years is all culminating right now as we speak. The powers that be are successfully turning public opinion against the ideals of true conservatism by using the small minority in Congress to paint all Conservatives/Liberals/Republicans as crazy fringe far righters who are out to destroy the country if they don't get absolutely everything they want.

Congratulations Tea Party for destroying the TRUE Conservative Revolution that actually could have happened.

14th Ammendment of The United States Constitution

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Anyone still wondering why the DHS bought all that ammo? This has been coming for years and the government knew it, they have postponed it for as long as they can in order to get their security forces in position to defend the ultra-rich from "useless eaters".

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Pop4life

So true, the unknown is what everyone is afraid of. Though when it comes to Americans drastic is all we know. So default is the only solution. (Reason I say this, I asked a co-worker about his thoughts on the economy. All he could say is I don't care about that. What about that high school football game tonight. Really, and ats you better believe their are millions more like him.) America has to fall, how else can we get back up?

Default IS NOT the only solution, default is ABSOLUTELY not an option. If we defaulted it would KILL this country and we would be suffering the consequences for literally DECADES to come, the solution is cutting the budget enough to where we have a budget SURPLUS so we can begin to get out of this debt.

Are the people on ATS that stupid, I haven't posted on here in a couple of years but dang, that is the worst option that could possibly be chosen, if we became insolvent not only would we feel it for decades to come but no other nation on Earth would have confidence in our currency/leadership, etc.

Why default when there are TONS of WAY BETTER and RATIONAL options.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
And just to let everyone know, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. There will be NO US Default, even if Congress doesn't raise the debt ceiling, The President or The Treasury will act in accordance of the 14th Amendment: Article 4 of the US Constitution, which as I said states The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. the US Congress CANNOT refuse to pay our bills, the Constitution does not allow it and WE WILL NO ALLOW IT.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Nyiah
I get the gist of what he's saying there. Right now, SS checks are still going out, they're covered. If we hit the debt ceiling on the 17th, fin, there's no more bogus money for diddly squat. It's pretty simple to grasp in plain English.

I don't care what bills they put forth, what promises any party can make, I don't see a way around hitting the ceiling. This country has turned into a manic woman on Rodeo Drive with every credit card she could get her hands on. She maxed them out, and now there's nothing left for more impulse buying. Worse yet, there's not a dime left anywhere in sight to pay OFF those purchases at all. That's what the US has become. We're fricking BROKE. BROKE. We have more bills than we can pay in this country. We've lived beyond our means and now we're going to literally & figuratively start paying for that immature mistake. We can't ponzi scheme it through the year any more, the debt collectors are going to start collecting their payments one way or the other, and no begging or pleading or promising is going to stop that. Raising the debt ceiling is literally just putting a band-aid on the severed vein. Eventually, you'll bleed out half-assing it like that.
edit on 10/3/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

Now this the problem. This is pure trailer park trash economics.

Let's get real. The United States of America is not broke. No sir re bob. As to assets and resources this country is right at the top. One of it's primary assets is you the people. If America is in trouble at all, it is the erroneous of this primary asset. American citizens have become not entitled but enabled. Everyone considers themselves an expert. A noble voice in the wilderness with truth.

America was built on the concept of independence, and self determination. And it is more of this that we need to see. All to often in serious discussions all we see is a determination to be correct and an insistence on compliance. This is not independence and self determination, this is group affiliation and the mouthing of platitudes. If we continue to be enabled, and pursue this course, I believe it will be seen as a mistake.

As to balancing the checkbook and shopping sprees. As a banker friend would say, "Honey you don't understand leverage.".

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

These people hate with a passion when they don't get there way or you disagree with them, why wouldn't they do this.

Watch Reid or any of the liberal news or even some GOP senator's, you have ridicule, name calling, mocking, calling the Tea Party people "John Bircher's" and everyone that does not agree with this administration are "terrorist".

Like I said on another thread, this is not about Dem's against Republican's, it is them against us.......they don't give a damn about there constituents.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Marg, thanks for doing the leg work on Alien's Freely Available Information request.

If we hit the debt ceiling, the only responsible course of action will be to reduce our obscene levels of spending. If Social Security payments end up being withheld, it will only be because the President went out of his way to make it so. There is literally a world of spending cuts that can be made outside of SS or other vital needs.

This is reality. It is composed of many facts twisted together.
edit on 5-10-2013 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Uniceft17
And just to let everyone know, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. There will be NO US Default, even if Congress doesn't raise the debt ceiling, The President or The Treasury will act in accordance of the 14th Amendment: Article 4 of the US Constitution, which as I said states The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. the US Congress CANNOT refuse to pay our bills, the Constitution does not allow it and WE WILL NO ALLOW IT.

And you're absolutely right. The Amendment we need to add however is that no branch of the federal government shall modify any law, or create a new law which creates even a single dollar of expenditure until the entirety of the national debt is brought to zero dollars owed.

I'm all for raising the debt limit if we shutter the federal government. All it will do is spend more. We see it every single time they ask for more money. The Federal Government are money addicts and may say they will curb spending, balance the budget, or even create a budget for that matter, but they are lying to you. They are lying to all of us. They will take the raise of the debt ceiling and they will abuse it. They will max it out again. Over, and over, and over, and over again. How many Trillions of dollars of debt do you think it'll take to destroy this nation and pound it into obscurity? What's that limit? Because I assure you this, Congress and the Executive are working very hard to get to that number. We are over 16,000,000,000,000.00 in debt right now. That's on your shoulders and it's on mine. I'm saying it's enough. I'm saying we need to shutter the government and call the military folks all back to the US. Every single one of them. We need to stop spending like the bill won't ever come crashing down on us.

Once we pay off the debt in it's entirety, then we can go back to letting them go back to work. The certainty here is that it can either crash now, or it'll crash later. This thing will crash. That debt load can not be allowed to get any bigger. The choice is really one all of Americans have to ask themselves but don't want to inconvenience themselves. A little pain now, or a lot of pain later. This will only get WORSE the way things are going. Deep down inside, we all know it. The seniors are all just hoping they die before it affects their IRA's, Pensions, and Social Security.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

I'm just inquiring about your claim of government assistance recipients busting into peoples homes when things get hard.

Were you saying that they would be the first to do this?

No, i don't have kids. Yes, i would do WHATEVER for them.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   

AlienScience
reply to post by marg6043

Hitting the debt ceiling is not the same as a government shutdown.

We are in a shutdown right now, and yes SS checks are going out...that is not in question. Come Oct. 17th though, it is a whole other story and SS checks may not go out if we hit the debt ceiling.

These are facts, simple facts.

and when they hit the "debt ceiling", then they will be forced to admit that SS checks aren't going out, because they stole our money to pay for bulls**t.

and when they're forced to admit that, perhaps that will be enough to wake people up.....perhaps then, there will be a reckoning...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Uniceft17
It's just you I guess? I didn't hear any threat, I heard a plain explanation of the facts, no money means no government benefits. Obama actually speaks the plain and simple truth for once, why is that stupid?

it was a threat...because it sure as hell wasn't truth.

truth would be "well, when we hit the debt ceiling, we won't be able to send out social security checks anymore, because we in the government, stole all that money a long time ago....we've been paying you out of the petty cash box full of funny money....so if we hit the debt ceiling, you're just as f**ked as we are. be sure to call your congressman.."

you really should get your facts straight, before you defend the man..

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by bpg131313

finally..someone speaking some goddamn sense...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

okyouwin

sulaw
Scare tactics!!! Got them??

I'm 31yrs old now, honestly with the way the state of the economy is. I don't expect there to be SS when I become of age... If the state of the economy hasn't already collapsed or whatever you want to say~

Well that's the problem. You young guys give up to easy. Social Security is a darn good program. Sitting aside a portion of earnings provides a living when the living ain't easy. We all get old. So it's good in this respect.

The one thing, besides the obvious what happens to granny?, is the effects that come from the withdrawal of this huge amount of money from the economy.

Social Security is a good idea and a good program. Don't give up on it.

who said it's a bad program? he certainly didn't......

this whole "if we don't raise the debt ceiling, we can't issue social security checks" thing should serve as a HUGE signal flare to everyone that we've been robbed...

he's saying that the money the government took from him for when he needs it is gone, and won't be available to him later...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Uniceft17

Pop4life

Default IS NOT the only solution, default is ABSOLUTELY not an option. If we defaulted it would KILL this country and we would be suffering the consequences for literally DECADES to come, the solution is cutting the budget enough to where we have a budget SURPLUS so we can begin to get out of this debt.

Are the people on ATS that stupid, I haven't posted on here in a couple of years but dang, that is the worst option that could possibly be chosen, if we became insolvent not only would we feel it for decades to come but no other nation on Earth would have confidence in our currency/leadership, etc.

Why default when there are TONS of WAY BETTER and RATIONAL options.

we can NEVER pay down the debt...our currency is backed by debt.

debt is literally used is collateral, to create more money....that's the "beauty" of fractional reserve banking.

you're delusional, if you think we can use the current broken system to fix any of this..

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join