It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you ever feel like you don't fit in your body?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Although I don't feel the detachment from my body I do feel the detachment from those around me and the world at large, as well as being out of place. Also, i can say i'm very much a weirdo
not a knicker sniffing type of weirdo, just an odd ball lol. Didn't seem to matter so much when I was younger but seems to be increasing with age. I literally don't attempt to talk to people or do any 'friendsy' stuff anymore because it all feels so pointless and lacking.

May be a bit antonymous here, but I have at times felt like I completely own my body - which doesn't sound that interesting but during these times I was also completely detached from it and 'above' it, almost like entirely being my higher mind and accepting this as my 'avatar' (which I often call it now) or my 'bodyself'. So rather than being immersed within my body i'm immersed within my being, 'owning' my body and in complete control of it.

This doesn't always happen, but it's pretty spiritual when it does, and i share it here because maybe we are detaching from our bodies as a means to reclaim them. Reclaim them from what, i'm not sure. Maybe to realise that we aren't our bodies and dressing our bodies and presenting them as the consumerist construct claims we should makes no difference to our being. Maybe, i dunno.

So yeah, perhaps you're just a little ahead of the game. Stay weird.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Rosinitiate
I don't know how many times I starred at myself and thought to myself, why can't i got back to being the ignorant, fun loving socialite everyone liked? I just can't bringmyself to do it, I have to believe that all this wasn't for not and sooner or later the end will justify the means.

I don't neccesarily feel I don't fit my body I genuinely feel I don't fit this world.

Man I know what you mean. It must be at least every other day I desperately wish to go back to being a bit more blissfully ignorant, just make life a little easier, get along with people again and regain that zest for life. I thought it was just part and parcel of getting older, but i'm not so sure.

I hope you are right, and those means will be justifiable.

Going a bit out, I recently read Leary's eight circuit model and had to consider that the fun younger sociable me was functioning (somewhat successfully) from the anal-territorial and socio-sexual circuits but now, perhaps the serious older reclusive me is working on some higher ones.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

All I can say, is that I could have wrote that. That best sums it up for me. I hate this feeling. You hit the nail right on the head!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by melancholiflower

It is very much spiritual. I think some of us who come across as weirdos, come across that way because of these same exact types of issues we have mentioned in this thread.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by melancholiflower

I hope the same. It makes it rough, that is for sure.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cappy85

I think many people feel as you, and I would imagine it has to do with growing up in a culture that promises that we are not our body, that we are somehow something inside of it. Such ideas are only abstract in nature, meaning that only in the mind can this logic be followed to any conclusion. Of course, outside of the mind, no such conclusion can be reached. Feeling as though we are something within a body, and not the whole of an organism, is the product of a dualistic imagination. Even if we were something in the body, such as a soul or spirit of some sorts, it is still nonetheless within the body, or a function of the body, like the brain or heart, and is therefor only a part of the whole. A brain is incapable of thinking once it is removed from the body, as much as the heart will no longer pump all by itself; and I would imagine the same goes for any spirit or consciousness.

I used to feel like this in moments of ill health and injury, seeing as how I had no control over my body in these instances. It was then that I realized that it wasn't the soul controlling my body, but my body controlling the soul. Finally, I gave up on both my soul and bodiy as a mere abstraction of a whole organism, and sought to reconcile the two into myself: an entirety, a complete being, inseparable from myself, neither body nor soul, but me.

A shift in perspective, brought about by reason and experience, was my cure.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

cappy85
reply to post by Rosinitiate

All I can say, is that I could have wrote that. That best sums it up for me. I hate this feeling. You hit the nail right on the head!

I hear you. What I've noticed is this feeling ebbs and flows but when the feeling hits it hits. I can't meditate this feeling out. I've also had a very heavy heart the past few days and not knowing why or where's its coming from frustrates me.

The last time i felt that way I wrote a thread about it in my old profile because i felt something terrible was going to happen. Nothing really did to my knowledge.

The time before that Katrina happened. Ugh. That's a story in itself.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cappy85

That's because... you are NOT your body HAHAHAHAHA.

Now seriously, your intuition is right on... Who we truly are is beyond body, beyond mind, beyond senses, beyond ego, and the typical education is ignorance by itself to make you believe you are a shape & form.

It could be depressing or a bit shaking at the beginning since it is against everything the world has taught you about yourself, but once you realize you are a soul having a body and not a body having a soul, the whole understanding of this world transform into higher realization.

And when you realize your true nature, yes - the world becomes artificial, and it's disturbing at the beginning because you are used to find all the meaning of life through the attachment with the body. Likes and dislikes, craving and repulsion, it is all surrounded by the wants of the body, but the body is not who you are so everything drops with this insight.
all the things that once were so important, now it just drops.
And there's something inside that feels lost because it was used to feel a part of a dream, but in reality you are just the one that is aware of the dream AND the dreamer, but nothing actually to do with the dreamer.
He's a dream by itself. And it's much more joyous since there's nothing to be attached to, everything is arising and passing, nothing remains as it is, like Bill Hicks says... It's just a ride, nothing is really meaningful and there are no results to attach to since there's nothing to gain, nothing to achieve, then life becomes a celebration.

That's evolution knocking on your door, embrace it.

edit on 27-9-2013 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Ever heard of derealization/depersonalization? It's not unusual for me to wake up and feel like i'm on another planet. Another planet that seems familiar but feels extremely weird. It's strange... and extremely scary. There's no way to enjoy the freedom of feeling detached from reality. I, personally, feel freaked out.

When i was worse i would look at my hands. They would be familiar. But for some reason they'd look/feel odd to me.

Stress, Anxiety or Marijuana can cause it i've heard. I'm sure there's more. It's an extremely bizarre disorder. However, it won't kill you and will probably go away. Mine just comes for a quick visit sometimes. It can all of a sudden hit you and you'll feel like

"wow.... what is reality. why does everything look alien?" It's like your watching everyone go about their lives but you're stuck there feeling like an alien observer for a little while. Got to shrug it off and not pay attention to it. For me, if i forget, it leaves me.

Anyway, might be irrelevant. But thought i'd throw it in!
edit on 27-9-2013 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
You see, this is all so strange to me, because for the most part this has not ever been even in a remotely small part of my psyche. I sometimes still wonder what I should think, but I know I feel utterly lost and out of place all the time, and I don't really like that feeling. I have heard of depersonalization, actually had a really bad episode last year(more psychological), but I guess on a daily basis that could be something I experience at some level too. The whole feel of being foreign. I really just don't know what to think, you guys are definitely helping me at least explore what could be going on, but it's all so confusing. I'm just trying to explore all relevant possibilities.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I really appreciate the examples that have been shared. It's great to be able to share some insights,especially since there are quite a few if us in here experiencing the same thing.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cappy85

I can see it in your eyes, although you are not yet aware.
You are an old soul.
And have incarnated at this time for a purpose.
But you have not found this purpose yet.
Your life will never make sense until you discover your purpose and for that you must meditate.
I am surprised you do not have this as a regular habit already installed.

feeling detached and separated from the body is normal.
You are a spirit, not a body.
And you have a strong connection to the other side,
you should use it

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hoonsince89

Okay, I'm about to cry. I literally pray every single day that I will find out what it is I'm supposed be doing with this life! I'm very good at many things and many jobs, but I've never found anything that I find fulfilling. I constantly have searched for it,to no avail. I'm always trying to find out what it is my ultimate goal and what I'm supposed to do. And I just don't know, I haven't found it yet, so I'm going through life doing (like I said)what I'm good at, but actually feeling empty inside. I know there's something else out for me, even if it's not on the deeper level, I know there is a purpose for me. I desperately want to help and become a intricate part of someone's life, but I know there's a lot of ways to do that and I'm not sure exactly what my way is yet. I absolutely love being a mother and I do my very best at it(and I'm nowhere near perfect) and I know that there's still more for me, my little girls won't be little forever But then on the other hand, I think maybe this is the whole process that everyone goes through, that everyone feels this way. I'm just so confused, if you can't tell.:up
Eta As far as meditation is concerned, I have tried very hard many times, I can't get my mind to rest.
edit on 27-9-2013 by cappy85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Very interesting,.
My girlfriend has been complaining alllot lately
about not being able to fit into any of her clothes,

Hmm I wondered,. she must be growing out of her body...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I really enjoy running. It's a calming relaxing exercise. I've had this out of body, not my body feeling many times. I know many times that my body is uncomfortable with what I'm asking it to do but I seem to know what it's capable of doing and I push aside it's discomfort and protests and make it run. I know it won't die and that it just wants to default to the laziest most comfortable state so it doesn't bother me to push aside it's claims of "uncomfortable". That's just too bad.

In a way this form of exercise seems to allow me to become more detached from my physical self and be more aware of "me" as the person piloting the body and the person controlling the animal I inhabit. It's really strange but I do feel that way at times.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Exercise is very freeing,not only on the physical body, but definitely on your mental health as well. I know that when I go on a run, it's just me and the road ahead of me, I don't focus or worry about or even think about what's going on around me ( Except making sure I don't get it by a car
) I think it just completely clears your mind, it's not fogged by anything else. It's the clarity, that I think is so important, in separating yourself but realizing you are in control of our own bodies. We tend to forget that.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I hope I'm not too late to the discussion! I feel like I was meant to read this thread. Like many of you have already mentioned, reading this makes me feel surreal and soothed to know that others around the earth are feeling the same as I.
I'm curious to know if this feeling of separation from reality/disassociation/ feeling out of place in your body and the world has increased recently, which has lead you to create this thread? I ask this because for the last 4-6 days I've felt the feeling of separation/disconnection increase.

I feel like it is redundant to say that I've felt what has already been presented in the forum, but we are all feeling incredibly similar from what it sounds. I feel very confused about why I'm here and what I'm doing. Why my being has decided to inhabit this planet, time, dimension, body...

Have any of you guys or the OP felt physically uncomfortable in their body? As if your spirit was trying to escape, but couldn't. Hard to explain, but basically its like you want to rend flesh from bone with bare hands to let your soul escape.

I feel a lot more connected knowing these feelings towards reality are shared by other beings out there. Though connected is the word that least represents me on this planet.

I'd also like to note that although I'm always 'away with the fairies' and quite disconnected to most people/reality - I have not been diagnosed with any dissociative disorder (though I've wondered if it could explain a lot if I was). Also, I've never been through anything extremely traumatic that could cause dissociation...although I've considered the possibility of myself being abducted and my mind has disconnected to compartmentalize the memories (might sound crazy, but this is the place for it, no?)

Hopefully the discussion is still alive and we can all come to a more substantial conclusion of what this feeling could be, or why we are feeling it. Really keen to see what comes of this thread.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Puzzuzu

I will say, to me, that this is been going on for years. Though there are times it is much worse, I can't really find a pattern, but then again I haven't really been looking for one. And sometimes I get so uncomfortable that I just don't want to be here, so I've had suicidal thoughts in the past, I'm not sure that's exactly what you mean, but it is a level of just uncomfortableness and feeling so stuck. I have seen a therapist regarding the event that I had mentioned earlier, but other than that I haven't been diagnosed with any other sort of mental health disorder. I'm not saying that its not some sort of a factor, but for the most part it's something so internal that it seems even more than I can even make sense (And my mental-health has been very good in the past two years) It is so complicated, and I truly don't feel like there's anyone I can discuss this with, without sounding like a lunatic. But it is what it is and it is how I feel, and I'm seeing now that I'm not the only one, and I find some comfort in that. I'm glad to know this could help others as well!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cappy85

I think you'll find by trying to describe your most in complicated and internal feelings on this subject, it will help you make these feelings more tangible for yourself to explain, and also find solidarity in this thread, because it seems we're all travelling along in this life on the same wave length.

I wonder if you or any others who have replied in this thread have taken into consideration shamanism and entheogens. Like conspiracies, I have developed a repertoire of knowledge in these areas, and have found both to help center my being and connect to what feels like a higher self where I can only describe the feeling as peace in my soul- reaching a state of consciousness that feels like home and I feel completely comfortable.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Hi,
I can relate. Been feeling this way ever since I can remember.
I always used to say that God forgot to give me the part of my brain that I needed to help me live on this earth.
Always felt alien.
Always felt detached.
Never fit in.
Always wanted to die so that my spirit could be free!
Tried to free myself a few times... but was miraculously unharmed.
Seems I'm supposed to be here, or whatever... I don't know.
I learned how to 'small talk' but I hate doing it. Would rather know a person's soul and ask the deep questions.
Get along with others ok, but no one really knows me... they'd think I was crazy.
I've learned to accept it, although it doesn't stop me from wishing I was off this planet... and among others who I could relate to.
This existence is boring and lonely.
And I have no clue why I'm still here, but alas, here I am.
Trying to make the best of it *shrug*
Cool to see others with similar feelings.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join