It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Demonstrates How To Deal With Open Carry Advocates

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Say what you want about 'Wild West' and all that...I feel pretty damned safe up here.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

gariac

riffraff

phinubian
reply to post by riffraff

Open carry is one of the dumbest things ever, it's only place is the the wild west years ago, there is no need for a private citizen in this day and time to carry a handgun on your person out in public period, it draws all attention to you, there is no need to broadcast that you have a people killer on your hip or (person defender depending on which side of the slug you might find yourself on) I respect the law but I think that the best way to have a weapon if you really, really feel the need is to get a concealed carry permit , the element of surprise works just as well.

Most of the people I know that would open carry seem to have something to prove, like it adds to their physical abilities or manhood or is some sort of talisman that wards off evil, their whole mentality revolves around their gun and is the only conversation some of these narrow minded individuals have, which I think if that's all you have going on more power to you.

But there is more to life than the novelty of carrying a piece of cold steel on your hip.

edit on 22-9-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

I like how you said the only place for open carry is the Wild West. Did you know that the Wild West was a much much much safer time to live in? For example : ever hear of the shoot out at the ok corral? You know the most famous gunfight that made wyat earp a legend? Did you know that it lasted only thirty seconds and had only three fatalities?

We are living in the Wild West x 1,000,000.

Facts are greater than emotion.

You might want to read up on Wyatt Earp before using him in your pro-gun cause. He was very much into controlling guns.
Wyatt Earp would arrest Wayne La Poo Poo

While I'm at it, get a load of these jerks:
concealed weapons permit holders shoot it out and both are dead
Then again, is the death of two pistol packing hotheads such a bad thing?

You. COMPLETLY. Missed. The.Point.
No one gives a damn what wyat earp thought.
The point was that the Wild West was safer than the world today.
I think you knew that though, you are just trying to be obtuse.
If the ok corral happened tomorrow it would be forgotten in half a week.
In my city we average two murders a week.

I was wondering how you could have thought I was using wyat earp to push an agenda when I was clearly talking about the ok corral incident. That was, until i saw your link to the huffington post (FACEPALM ) and to think... I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt

Now I see clearly.
edit on 24-9-2013 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2013 by riffraff because: Autocorrect is always wrong

edit on 24-9-2013 by riffraff because: G..D... Autocorrect!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

riffraff

gariac

riffraff

phinubian

Open carry is one of the dumbest things ever, it's only place is the the wild west years ago, there is no need for a private citizen in this day and time to carry a handgun on your person out in public period, it draws all attention to you, there is no need to broadcast that you have a people killer on your hip or (person defender depending on which side of the slug you might find yourself on) I respect the law but I think that the best way to have a weapon if you really, really feel the need is to get a concealed carry permit , the element of surprise works just as well.

Most of the people I know that would open carry seem to have something to prove, like it adds to their physical abilities or manhood or is some sort of talisman that wards off evil, their whole mentality revolves around their gun and is the only conversation some of these narrow minded individuals have, which I think if that's all you have going on more power to you.

But there is more to life than the novelty of carrying a piece of cold steel on your hip.

I like how you said the only place for open carry is the Wild West. Did you know that the Wild West was a much much much safer time to live in? For example : ever hear of the shoot out at the ok corral? You know the most famous gunfight that made wyat earp a legend? Did you know that it lasted only thirty seconds and had only three fatalities?

You might want to read up on Wyatt Earp before using him in your pro-gun cause. He was very much into controlling guns.

Ps. I noticed you haven't answered my question. I wasn't being facetious; I really wanted an answer.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

dukeofjive696969

Kumo77

phinubian

there is no need to broadcast that you have a people killer on your hip or (person defender depending on which side of the slug you might find yourself on)

If a rifle is on safety, muzzle pointed down and secured across someone's back or shoulder, how is it going to kill someone?

It just sits there until someone puts it back in their gun safe.

The law abiding citizen does not purchase a gun with the intent to kill another human. People buy them for self defense, hunting, collectors items, competition shooting and for target practice at the local range.

It's a statistical fact that people kill more people with motor vehicles every year than criminals do with guns. Should we ban them and force people to take public transportation?
edit on 23-9-2013 by Kumo77 because: spelling

Just a quick edit to illustrate a point:

Motor vehicle deaths in US in 2010 - 32,885

Total firearm deaths in US in 2010 - 31,672

of these, 19,392 deaths were to suicide and 11,078 deaths were to homicide.

We are nearly 3 times likely to die in a motor vehicle accident than we are from a nutcase with a gun. Banning firearms won't save those 11 thousand people either, people will still acquire them illegally. Unless things have changed in the past 20 years and I highly doubt they have, when I was a teen, it was far easier to get a gun on the black market than it was to score a bag of pot.

Sources: List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states
edit on 23-9-2013 by Kumo77 because: Additional info

edit on 23-9-2013 by Kumo77 because: fixed links

Since the early 90s nearly. 1 milllion americans have been killed with guns of all types, 4000'americns have died from terrorism, gotta love facts.

You're right; we do love facts. Can you tell us what percentage of those nearly one million were suicides?
What percentage were self defense?
What percentage were death by cop?

I eagerly await your response.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

riffraff

gariac

riffraff

phinubian

But gun control made the west safer. That is my point.

Murders is a numbers game. The raw number matters if you are the one that got shot. Otherwise, you look at the per capita numbers. The west was pretty empty in the day of Wyatt Earp, but on a per capita basis, it was quite deadly.

Take the town of Pioche.

In the 1860s Pioche, Nevada was the baddest town in the west; badder than Tombstone, badder than Dodge City and all the rest. It was so bad 72 people died before one died a natural death

from
Pioche

Pioche isn't a ghost town, but trust me, they know who is a visitor and who is a resident.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

riffraff

dukeofjive696969

Kumo77

phinubian

there is no need to broadcast that you have a people killer on your hip or (person defender depending on which side of the slug you might find yourself on)

If a rifle is on safety, muzzle pointed down and secured across someone's back or shoulder, how is it going to kill someone?

The law abiding citizen does not purchase a gun with the intent to kill another human. People buy them for self defense, hunting, collectors items, competition shooting and for target practice at the local range.

It's a statistical fact that people kill more people with motor vehicles every year than criminals do with guns. Should we ban them and force people to take public transportation?

We are nearly 3 times likely to die in a motor vehicle accident than we are from a nutcase with a gun. Banning firearms won't save those 11 thousand people either, people will still acquire them illegally. Unless things have changed in the past 20 years and I highly doubt they have, when I was a teen, it was far easier to get a gun on the black market than it was to score a bag of pot.

Since the early 90s nearly. 1 milllion americans have been killed with guns of all types, 4000'americns have died from terrorism, gotta love facts.

You're right; we do love facts. Can you tell us what percentage of those nearly one million were suicides?

Do your own research. All that data can be tabulated from the UCR. Typically the cops kill three hundred to four hundred a year. The ratio of murder to death by cop (justifiable of course) is about 50 to 1. Your odds are much better dealing with a cop than a hot head paranoid CCWer with a chip on their shoulder.
UCR

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

riffraff

gariac
reply to post by fossilera

The "snake flag" is the Gadsden flag, once honorable, now a symbol of tea baggers. They might as well hold up a sign that reads "no intelligent life here."

flag

How was it once honorable, but no longer? What has changed besides your perspective?

Ever notice when a person gets a certain age they start claiming that the movies and music they grew up to were somehow superior to the current generations movies and entertainment?

No intelligent life here? Tell that to my registered nursing license.
What else...I know I'm forgetting something... Oh yeah
Don't tread on me

The tea baggers are a confused bunch at best. They complain about the government, but most are old enough to collect social security from that evil government.

Basically the tea baggers are useful idiots. The Koch brothers play those clowns like a fiddle.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

727Sky

www.washingtontimes.com...
The title of the article I posted which was deleted was:
California’s great gun grab: State’s sweeping gun control bills target firearms, ammo — and hunting

Among the dozen gun-control bills sitting on California Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk are measures that would outlaw lead ammunition for hunting as well as common types of hunting rifles under the umbrella of an assault-weapons ban. Taken together, the measures go far beyond the efforts that have inspired a sharp backlash and political battles in states such as Connecticut and Colorado.

“If [Gov. Brown] does sign them, I think that we’re going to see an outcry brewing,” said Mr. Jones. “These are hard-working families, a lot of whom happen to be union, and they’re hunters, they’re sportsmen, they’re honest, law-abiding gun owners who feel like their Second Amendment rights are being attacked. And they don’t like it.”

Which was posted in response to something like "no one is coming for your guns".... They don't have to come when a simple law works just fine because most legal gun owners in America are "LAW ABIDING" citizens...

Washington Times...ah yes the Moonie newspaper.

I'd have to see the details, but typically .223 is what they want to regulate. They can pierce body armor.

The reality is nobody is hunting these days. Besides, the weapons in computer games are way cooler. I'm partial to the lightning gun myself. While per capita gun ownership is high, the number of households with guns has been dropping steadily. That is why Wayne La Poo Poo has to convince the useful idiots that they need guns for protection, especially CCW.

Take the case of that steroid ladden drug abuser girlfriend beating Erik Scott.
Erik Scott justifiably well ventilated
This clown went into a Costco in a yuppie part of Vegas with two guns. Hey, perhaps I have more balls than the average CCWer, but I have shopped in that Costco without carrying any guns. Metro rid the world of this piece of trash, saving countless lives down the road.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

I asked about the Gadsden flag- how is it no longer honorable to stand up for yourself; you deflect by insulting "teabaggers"

I say the ok corral was a nonevent by today's standards -you deflect by bringing up wyat earps philosophy on gun rights

I ask for a percentage of suicides, self defense, and justifiable homocides by cop-
You give me an imaginary ratio of police killings to murder and hope we don't notice you failed to mention suicides and self defense.

Then you say the reality is no one is hunting anymore. I've eaten more deer than all other meats combined. I don't know one single man that doesn't hunt at least once a year.
Now you're talking about lightning guns in video games?
And the line about social security?!?
Social security is broke

I give up.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I'm sick of these libtards who won't face the fact that criminals will always have guns regardless of what laws you put in place. You don't have to worry about honest law abiding citizens with legal guns you have to worry about gangs smuggling in guns to gun free zones where no one can protect themselves, perfect examples are California, New York, and Chicago where gun laws are the most strict and they have the most violent crimes in the country. So all you libtards can go live in your gun free gang infested cities and leave the rest of us alone.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

gariac

The tea baggers are a confused bunch at best. They complain about the government, but most are old enough to collect social security from that evil government.

Basically the tea baggers are useful idiots. The Koch brothers play those clowns like a fiddle.

Yeah, the whole "government - get your hands off my medicare" is pretty lulz.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

gariac

riffraff

dukeofjive696969

Kumo77

phinubian

Do your own research. All that data can be tabulated from the UCR. Typically the cops kill three hundred to four hundred a year. The ratio of murder to death by cop (justifiable of course) is about 50 to 1. Your odds are much better dealing with a cop than a hot head paranoid CCWer with a chip on their shoulder.
UCR

Oh really.... I'd love to see you back up your claim on CCW'er. Most CCW'ers (not all I'll grant you) are some of the most law abiding citizens. The cherish their right to carry and on most occasions, won't ever brandish their firearm. It's called conceal carry for a reason and most hold true.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I've just been reading about this guy Erik Scott who someone linked to a story about earlier. It seems odd to think that where I live neither Scott nor the police would have been armed and everyone would still be alive if a similar incident occurred. Thousands of hours of court time and a lot of money would have been saved.

Of course it may be that having police and civilians armed to the teeth is worth it to prevent crime. Because of course in the US nobody commits armed robbery.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Bp322
I'm sick of these libtards who won't face the fact that criminals will always have guns regardless of what laws you put in place. You don't have to worry about honest law abiding citizens with legal guns you have to worry about gangs smuggling in guns to gun free zones where no one can protect themselves, perfect examples are California, New York, and Chicago where gun laws are the most strict and they have the most violent crimes in the country. So all you libtards can go live in your gun free gang infested cities and leave the rest of us alone.

Exactly. It would be a lot easier if the legislators would cut to the chase and make murder illegal. That way criminals would stop murdering people and making guns look bad.

Oh wait, I have a better idea. Not only should they make murder illegal, they should make it the worst crime you can commit: punishable by life in prison or even death.
Surely that would stop all murders overnight.
I wonder why no one ever thought of that before?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

riffraff
reply to post by gariac

I asked about the Gadsden flag- how is it no longer honorable to stand up for yourself; you deflect by insulting "teabaggers"

I say the ok corral was a nonevent by today's standards -you deflect by bringing up wyat earps philosophy on gun rights

I ask for a percentage of suicides, self defense, and justifiable homocides by cop-
You give me an imaginary ratio of police killings to murder and hope we don't notice you failed to mention suicides and self defense.

Then you say the reality is no one is hunting anymore. I've eaten more deer than all other meats combined. I don't know one single man that doesn't hunt at least once a year.
Now you're talking about lightning guns in video games?
And the line about social security?!?
Social security is broke

I give up.

The tea baggers are an insult to my intelligence and to the flag. The only good thing is they are destroying the GOP. [I'm looking at you, maple syrup drinking senator Ted Cruz.]

I have read the UCR year after year. The ratio has been pretty consistent. I asked you to look up the data since you won't believe me anyway.

Now private citizen justifiable homicide has increased over the years, but only because the standards for justifiable have decreased. Take the piece of fecal matter Joe Horn for example, or the equally disgusting George Zimmerman. Three people would be alive if sub-human garbage like Horn or Zimmerman just listened to the cops rather than just blasting away with their guns in situations where their life was not in danger.

Once again, you don't understand statistics. Nobody cares if you hunt and eat the meat. What matters is the per capita hunter ratio, and that is what is dropping. Again, you are not important. Again, nobody cares about you . It is the per capita stats that matter. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

I mentioned computer games because that is what the youth does these days. They don't kill real animals, but shoot virtual weapons at monsters and albeit human looking characters. Then I mentioned I like the lightning gun. Oh baby, the dude getting hit with it sizzels. OK, only virtually.

Social security? Hey, if you cared about it, did you protest Ronald Reagan? He destroyed it by allowing the government to steal from social security to cover present day expenses. If you cared about social security, did you do the right thing and vote for Al Gore, who wanted to undo the Reagan damage and put a lock box on the FICA funding. If not, you have no right to complain.

Further, social security is not broke. It is only broke if you define that situation being that the current income will not cover the current expenses. That definition IGNORES all the IOUs, AKA treasury bills held by social security. Or do you assume the US will not cover its debt? Oh wait, that is tea bagger thinking. Borrow money but don't pay it back.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

phinubian

Not quite. There are many reasons for open carry and sometimes it is more practical and comfortable depending on the task you are doing. Another, even more important reason, to have both legal open and CC is that if a CC holder inadvertently "flashes" his gun or just wants to take off his jacket and have a sandwich, he is not breaking the law for some pretty innocuous acts.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

JuniorDisco
I've just been reading about this guy Erik Scott who someone linked to a story about earlier. It seems odd to think that where I live neither Scott nor the police would have been armed and everyone would still be alive if a similar incident occurred. Thousands of hours of court time and a lot of money would have been saved.

Of course it may be that having police and civilians armed to the teeth is worth it to prevent crime. Because of course in the US nobody commits armed robbery.

A cop learns how to shoot and when not to shoot. Well that is the theory. The NRA has loosened the gun laws to the point where the average US citizen has much more legal wiggling room than the police. You don't need to be in danger, but you need to perceive being in danger. You can put yourself in danger and then shoot. The dubious rights of citizens in NRA owned states is far more dangerous than a few bad cops.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Not quite. There are many reasons for open carry and sometimes it is more practical and comfortable depending on the task you are doing.

Uh, shopping at Costco? Oh wait, there might be a lose mountain lion in the store, so better pack some heat.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

gariac
reply to post by NavyDoc

Not quite. There are many reasons for open carry and sometimes it is more practical and comfortable depending on the task you are doing.

Uh, shopping at Costco? Oh wait, there might be a lose mountain lion in the store, so better pack some heat.

ANd perhaps one was out in the fields working and ran to the store to get some supplies. It is safer and better for all to carry your gun in with you than to leave it in the car where it could be stolen.

Perhaps his job involves taking large amount of change from vending machines and he carries open because it is tougher to struggle with a CCW piece with a large bag of quarters in your hand.

One size fits all solutions to a multitude of situations are not logical.

There are good arguments both pro and con CCW vs open carry, however, the reasonable situation is where both are legal so that people can adjust their behavior to different circumstances.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

That is not true. The "reasonable man standard" is for both police and citizens. Police have to articulate reasonable belief that they are in danger before shooting just like the citizens. And you are incorrect, police have more protections than citizens because citizens are not expected to go out seeking conflict.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join