It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard to read this new format

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

The number of users visiting ATS was falling

Maybe the issue of why should be addressed,I highly doubt it was because of the layout of the forums.
If you are new than you have never seen this layout or the old layout before so it shouldn't matter as its the first time you see it.

I do think that the amount of garbage on the boards is the reason.
Not the Bernards who get banned,but the Bernards who get thru the in door.
I have seen alot of insane crap on here but it just seems to me that it is getting beyond insane.

I understand the need to deny ignorance...I don't see the need as a website to embrace idiocy as I have seen.
I can't blame the site as it is too large and you can't see everything and you can't see every post.

As an older member who is stuck on ats,after alot of the absolute rubbish and garbage on here,if I was just checking the site out while passing by...I would never come back either.
Trolls,attention seekers,people being cliquey (if thats a word) etc

Thats all I am going to say on this matter and I will not be replying to this post to defend myself....my opinion is my opinion...get over it.

There is a reason alot of older members don't come back anymore....fix that first.
edit on 9-9-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I am finding my way around the new ATS...and I just have to say...I like it!

My suggestion to people is...take your time...mess around with the new format; have fun with it...and also go back and refer to S.O. instructions on how to navigate the new ATS...it will help.

Try and cheer up...we all are very fortunate to still have this wonderful website!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
New design. Am I right in thinking you have to navigate away from any page you're on to look at "top" or "hot" or "new" topics. What was previously contained in one little popup that could be opened on any page, is now THREE separate pages all which need to be loaded separately?

Or am I missing something. Half the fun of the old forum was that "current topics" bar at the bottom of the page.
edit on 9-9-2013 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I dont like it.

As others noticed, with the old format under the NEW section you had all topics visible with one glance, now you must scroll down all over the page.

Also elements of the page are huge, old style was more informative, the new is like shouting whith no reason.

So to be on par with the new style:

GO BACK, UNDO IT, SEND IT TO THE (REAL) RECYCLE BIN, DELETE THE NEW CODE, BRING BACK THE OLD STYLE etc

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the giant bar at the bottom that's trying to direct me to the Ben Swann posts?

I find this the most intrusive new feature yet. >_< There's no cancel button on it and it just stays on the bottom of my page taking up 2" of the bottom of my screen.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I don't care for the new emoticons. I can't make out what some of them represent. I thought the animated ones were much better.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Stop trying to be like the masses. New Google email's, and all the other notifications.

Good try. all the feed back. All you get is I hate this or I love it and all in between. \

That's called a sell out for cash. Forgetting the reason the sight was created.

I'll play Atari 2600 on my own terms. You can stick you version up your...well, what ever makes you randy amigos

worst version ever.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

DrumsRfun
I highly doubt it was because of the layout of the forums.
If you are new than you have never seen this layout or the old layout before so it shouldn't matter as its the first time you see it.

Actually, it matters a great deal. I'm active in a couple very large communities populated by forum operators, and have conversed (in private) with managers of exceptionally large forums on sports, video games, cooking, fashion, entertainment and more.

The general consensus has been growing that contemporary users are not accustomed to the standard/default layout of typical discussion board software. All are seeing similar declines in engagement of new users... we're not alone.

After a lengthy review of some of the "best in breed" forum platforms, combined with lots of reading of studies of UI/UX design specific to user engagement for content-rich sites (some of them expensive), the conclusion was that we were about 18 months behind the critical need for a significant redesign.

However, had I done this 18 months ago, the "market" would not be mature enough for some of the advance HTML5/CSS3 features that have been cooked into ATS.

Objects in motion tend to stay in motion. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

stolisGreece
As others noticed, with the old format under the NEW section you had all topics visible with one glance, now you must scroll down all over the page.

Take some time to discover the more advanced features in the new site.

When the banner appears below, click it. Then you'll discover where the link is to the improved LIVE and Firehose page.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
They've basically made this like a phone app, so why not keep it as it was ...which I much preferred! And make an app for people who like this type of layout.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

schadenfreude
in before the snarky defenders come in, letting us know if we don't like it we can leave/die/sodd off/build our own website, etc etc ad nauseum.

it's called having an opinion you apple polishers. so deal with it.

And oh yeah...grey & green still sucks. (And white aint an option)

I take pleasure in your misfortune

hee hee

Ahhh poppyock. None of you people came here and went "Bugger the content, this format is astonishingly awesome, I'm staying for the style of the forums alone! I hope they never ever change it!"

so to now say "I am leaving coz this stinks on my eyes man!" ... Bawwwwhaha

Really tho, if you did come here and stay simply because the last change that was made to the display of the forums made you all gooey inside, don't go.. we need you here. You the sort of person who doesn't take life seriously when the cookie crumbles... you're the one poking the choc chips and saying "Man, that looks like rat poop!" and we all know life needs you guys..

edit on 10-9-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Emeraldforce
I like the new style and layout - much easier on the eye and also easier to navigate. Likey!

Me too. I don't get all the kerfuffle.

Obviously it's an opinion based thing, and we're all different.

This emoticon tho, must go.

Promoting bad behaviour on the forums by alluding to drunkeness and drunk posting, and inhebriation and intoxication by alcoholic beverages.

All the sour pusses will leave for the design and then the rest of us will get banned for off topic posting while drunk.

edit on 10-9-2013 by winofiend because: Oh god damn it I put new batteries in this rubbish keyboard. maybe I really am illiterate these days

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Murgatroid
The toolbar is the thing I miss the most.

Seems like like windows without a start button or a toolbar...

I had enabled the secret hidden code to remove that. they had in the original code commented out dispaly.none's for that.. for some reason, it was not removed.. until I enabled it for myself.

No more obtrusive "HEY READER, DOWN HERE. READER. HEY READER. HEY READER. HEY READER DOWN HERE. HEY, DOWN HERE. HEY READER..." annoying toolbar (tm) ...

Sure I had to manually check U2U's.. but man that thing was annoying.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

You can count on one hand the number of times I've complained about this changeover. I know others who have written virtual novelettes ib complaints since the changeover.

I'm sorry, I think the site looks gauche, and the reasoning behind it confuses me.

We have been told to make more than a few lines when posting, I mean isn't that one of the creedos here?

It's so ingrained in our posting here, even if someone only needs a one-liner to make their point, they still type "2nd", as if that was an ACTUAL second line.

How many "relevant" post do you think will come from phone users?

And if you think the spelling nazi's had lost their minds before?! pfftt.

I understand the point about traffic, really, i get it. And I wasn't here for the last one, but say it for what it really is about ; REVENUE.

Not more thought provoking discussion. (On a 2 inch screen? Seriously?)

iow, don't pee on my back & call it rain.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
the only thing i miss is the friends list if you want to change the look and get old smileys back go to chaotic orders thread ats 5.3 tweaks [greasemonkey script ]

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

stolisGreece

Take some time to discover the more advanced features in the new site.

When the banner appears below, click it. Then you'll discover where the link is to the improved LIVE and Firehose page.

Thank you so much for sorting out firehose (live).

This makes the change entirely beneficial, as now I can navigate the threads I wish to read again...yay!

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Is also so confusing which one are the new posts, or the most flagged one or the actual discussion. I was just wondering, did this admins of the site ever take in consideration what users said about the new version? As far as I am concerned the new version was widely opposed and disliked. If admins already have made the decision to run the new interface, what was the point of the poll?
edit on 11-9-2013 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I personally do not like the new format.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I worked in a similar field doing graphic design for print. I have to agree it does not make easy reading. Considering that ATS is primarily a reading site, it is wrong.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Telos
Is also so confusing which one are the new posts,

The new button at the top (and on the recent posts page) isn't obvious enough?

or the most flagged one

We've always referenced the highest-flagged topics as "top topics," as such, the "top" button with flag isn't obvious for that?

I was just wondering, did this admins of the site ever take in consideration what users said about the new version?

Extensively.

There was about two months of releases and discussions over screen shots. Then about 20 volunteer staff used and help refine the beta version for more than six weeks. Then there was a mass-PM announced open test of the release candidate where a long list of corrections and tweaks were applied based on member feedback.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join