It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard to read this new format

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
As a copywriter the #1 rule is simply a popular font of black on white. I think people actually liked the old format for the simple fact that it's easier to read. This is grey on darker grey with not a popular font. I'd at least go very dark grey, lighter text, and popular font.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I don't like the format or colour scheme either.

Seems very Xbox esque to me.

Guess i'm just a creature of habit.

edit on 9-9-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Really it's not that bad but I've tinkered in it for a while when they had the testing for it. At first it was tough to read but in speaking generally change will do that to about anything. Also you have two different style options...The Light style (which I believe is default) and the dark style which is the one I have and relates to what I was used to on the old format. Just give it a week and you'll adjust.

The one thing I don't like however is under the new section in the old format they had New, Hot & recently flagged (maybe) topics which I could just starting clicking to open in a new window. They don't have it this way.
edit on 9-9-2013 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I like it, more advanced.

The colours are "soft" on the yes.

My only concern is... i want to stretch the posts from end to end.... right now... the post only take up 60% of the width...

WITHOUT Zooming.
edit on 9/9/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

HawkeyeNation
Really it's not that bad but I've tinkered in it for a while when they had the testing for it. At first it was tough to read but in speaking generally change will do that to about anything. Also you have two different style options...The Light style (which I believe is default) and the dark style which is the one I have and relates to what I was used to on the old format. Just give it a week and you'll adjust.

Took me about a week to like it.. Now I love it.. Though some new bugs just arrived.. For instance my color pick for my avatar is almost black but it's showing up as the default color..

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The Realtime headlines page has less info on it. Why didn't they leave that alone?

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
For me I'm not sure. I was kinda looking for an excuse to spend a little less time on these forums. What I don't understand is when you're logged in why can't you choose what format you like? I think that would be easier.

Like the #1 rule of copywriting is black font on white paper, and a popular font. That's the easiest to read. In this case is the opposite, light on dark which is also fine but it was more contrast before. Now it's grey on grey, it's kinda hard to read. Like you have to really look to ready it, where as before it wasn't laborious. Plus this font I can tell is something odd. I could be wrong but I'm seeing letters that are almost touching. Again hard to read.
edit on 9-9-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
in before the snarky defenders come in, letting us know if we don't like it we can leave/die/sodd off/build our own website, etc etc ad nauseum.

it's called having an opinion you apple polishers. so deal with it.

And oh yeah...grey & green still sucks. (And white aint an option)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yeah, I definitely don't care for the new look. It's too cartoonish for me. I have been a member of ATS for quite some years and it just doesn't feel the same anymore, at least until they change their minds again and go back to the old style for the 4th time.

Is it possible to make it an option like mobile site/full site webpages?

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Hmmm...jost wondering. Why did they have to change the site ? (i might have missed something her)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Its horrible.
Looks like its made exclusively for cell phones.
Even in 1280x1024 - number of threads visible is max. 6 or seven due to the nice neat new and biiiiiiiiiig icons.

Okay that didnt work.
Guees its time to throw the pc out, and move into the tinsheet cabin in the woods.
edit on 9-9-2013 by unnamednumber because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Ya, all the icons look very Techmo bowlish. Very 80's video game-ish.

I can take change, but this is just a bad idea.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

spartacus699

Like the #1 rule of copywriting is black font on white paper, and a popular font. That's the easiest to read. In this case is the opposite, light on dark which is also fine but it was more contrast before. Now it's grey on grey, it's kinda hard to read.

I don't have any trouble with it, but I have never liked reading black letters on white background except on paper. On screens a dark gray with white letters is easiest. It could be all the time I spend on ATS, but white websites are too bright. Hurts my eyes.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

centsgaun

When I read this, I started hearing Nintendo background music and sound effects from SuperMario Bros.

edit on 9-9-2013 by butcherguy because: I spelled a word incorrectly, okay?

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

they need a slight bit more contrast though. And a normal font. This is an ok font but I kinda wonder what it is.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I hate the new look.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

butcherguy

centsgaun

When I read this, I started hearing Nintendo background music and sound effects from SuperMario Bros.

edit on 9-9-2013 by butcherguy because: I spelled a word incorrectly, okay?

Exactly! I must add....When I want to play a video game. The last thing I'm gonna do is drag out a Colecovision or some other pieco of.....!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This new look is awful, seems very basic and watered down.

Agree with the OP on this fonts and ability to read.

Seems really cheap and not something I feel comfortable with, shame we cant opt for a different skin and Im not sure why we needed a change.

As the saying goes, If it aint broke dont try to fix it.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So far, I like it just fine. I don't see any real issues with it personally. I will say I'm not overly fond of the emoticons, but we can import our own in the uploads folder, I suppose. There are a few things I haven't figured out how to do yet, but that will come with time and use.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I like the new style and layout - much easier on the eye and also easier to navigate. Likey!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join