It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 60% in a year

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

peck420

Notice that 2012 and 2013 were following the same path? That's right, the same path, all through winter (2012-2013), all through spring, and even well into summer...right until the end of July, 2013...

Environment Canada predicted this back in January. Their predictions were spot on until the end of July.

Then, the hottest recorded heat wave ever hit Canada's north.

The ice should have dropped to a level lower then 2012.

Why? Most of the Arctic is not in Canada*. And sea ice melt is not necessarily dependent on air temperature - last year's record melt was in part a result of the 'Great Arctic Cyclone' - winds -which helped break up the ice much more than normal.

* it's like arguing that because BC had a record hot summer then Canada must have have a record hot summer
edit on 14-9-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Actually, it's you that isn't getting it. My only contention ever was that there was no growth. The ice extent did not grow during the melt season. So comparing Sept 2012 to Sept 2013 and concluding that the ice extent GREW 60% is moronic. It melted less, is all.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
why is it that i keep reading how the ice is THINNER than ever? i get that it is spreading out and appears to have grown but it's actually not growing..... just spreading out due to melt and refreeze. the ice is THINNER.

there is not more ice. printing the words "60% more ice" gives a false impression. sure it's covering a larger area....... but there is actually LESS ice.

ETA: i think we need to wait and see what happens during the melt phase
edit on 15-9-2013 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Ohh boy.... Let's see here....

Instead of writing out a long paragraph or 4 on all the reasons this article and the following of people thinking that man made climate change is a farce are wrong. I will just post this video, in the hopes you will watch it and LEARN something about how these "scientific" stories are junk and do not take into account all the OTHER facts refuting their claims.

edit on 9/15/1313 by gr1ill3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
and here's a link that quickly explains that the "growth" isn't what you think it is. arctic ice is STILL on the decline no matter how much the deniers want to believe it's growing.

thinkprogress.org...

ETA this video (i don't know how to embed) which is VERY simplistic and straight forward... and short.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 15-9-2013 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The melt season is officially over and the determination of the 2013 melt is this... The arctic has "recovered" to it's 6th lowest minimum extent in millenia, leaving approx. 5 million square kilometers of ice. Don't worry though, David Rose and Rush Limbaugh assure us that the ice has recovered by 60% and everything is okay.

60% recovered is a huge amount of spin on the 6th lowest minimum extent in thousands of years.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

LOL! yep, that's some serious spinning but on par with the rest of things they say. of course, this 60% growth b.s. was pretty viral so it did some good damage. i think people just don't want to believe what's happening so any info that comes out opposing global warming/climate change gets clung to. it's a lot less stressful to believe everything is okay.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

If all the ice melts away like they say it will,

What is the impact ?

What will happen to Earth ?

What will happen to people ?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

xuenchen
reply to post by pasiphae

If all the ice melts away like they say it will,

What is the impact ?

What will happen to Earth ?

What will happen to people ?

If it's just sea ice, the ocean conveyer belts will get more messed up which will probably mess up the jet stream more too. If it's the Greenland Ice sheet? Seal levels will rise significantly along with what I said initially. More drought, more rain, more cold, more heat, more wind, more humidity. Basically whatever your weather is will be more intense. Don't look at Colorado.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

This is an extremely out-of-context post...

The growth might have been larger this year, although that also fits the overall pattern. There are many variables that might affect it, which makes it normal to have its ups and downs, yet the long-term trend is clearly visible in the graph.

edit on 26-9-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join