It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 60% in a year

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Apparently the Arctic ice cap has increased by 60% since last year.

Hmmm.

Makes me wonder about recent past claims of total meltdown in 2013 predicted in 2007.

The source article has support and pictures and maps along with old stories.

Which is it ?

Global Warming or Global Cooling ?

Who is the average Joe Citizen supposed to Believe ?

* Almost a million more square miles of ocean covered with ice than in 2012

* BBC reported in 2007 global warming would leave Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013

* Publication of UN climate change report suggesting global warming caused by humans pushed back to later this month

A chilly Arctic summer has left nearly a million more square miles of ocean covered with ice than at the same time last year – an increase of 60 per cent.

The rebound from 2012’s record low comes six years after the BBC reported that global warming would leave the Arctic ice-free in summer by 2013.

Instead, days before the annual autumn re-freeze is due to begin, an unbroken ice sheet more than half the size of Europe already stretches from the Canadian islands to Russia’s northern shores.

And now it's global COOLING! Record return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 60% in a year

...---... Sorry Al, maybe next year !

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Whoops! Someone forgot to "test" a bomb there to "prove" Global Warming's disastrous (yet always elusively far) coming.

Nice find!

This year was one of the worst year for my plants - they took time to start because of the late summer, and were damaged by the early colds.

edit on 8-9-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Ahhh Rats. I was wishing global warming would give us nicer winters here. This is a depressing thread, the ice is getting closer to the great lakes again. I need to start building a campfire every evening and sit around it with a beer to help reverse this trend. Between the smoke and the methane in my beer farts, that should put us back on the warming track.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This calls for a celebration

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

What most people still do not realize is that prior to the last ice age the end of the inter glacial period witnessed a temperature warmer than today followed by a fairly sudden drop in temperature,.
www.scientificamerican.com...
www.antarctica.ac.uk...
www.aip.org...

This is interesting, en.wikipedia.org... , until the 1850's it was cold enough that there was a regular winter market held on the frozen Thames where it passes through London yet though Greenland is relatively uninviting today prior to the little ice age that was a recent temperature fluctuation we may still be coming out of Greenland was regarded as prime farm and cultivation land by the viking settlers, archive.archaeology.org...
www1.american.edu...
sciencenordic.com...
www.spiegel.de...

These articles paint an image of the impact of climactic fluctuation but the truth is we really do not know how far the warming may impact and how far the cooling may bounce back, it has been theorized that the melting of the ice will desalinate the sea and may slow of even stop the Atlantic conveyor (the gulf stream) with the implication that the warm moist air it bring's up from the equatorial region's may then no longer warm those area's such as northern Europe with implication that Glaciation may actively increase through harsher winters as perversely the warming can cause cooling and the earth adapts it's polar thermostat accordingly but how far is the question.

Great thread S+F.

Just an afterthought though the freighters will have to go the long way around again at least the oil company's will not have an easy time of ruining the arctic if the warming trend reverses otherwise it will be ecological Armageddon up there.

edit on 8-9-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

First of all I do not promote or oppose the global warming theories. I'm not a professional or whatsoever this post is just random thinking

The article only talks about the surface, the square miles. It does not have any statement about the cubic miles of ice. So surface has grown yes.

If ice melts it is fresh water. Fresh water does not mix easily with salt water. Fresh water floats above salt water. Fresh water freezes to ice more easily than salt water. Melted ice brings cold fresh water in that region. A lot of new fresh water in the article region prevents warm salt water to go up as it normally would have with oceans conveyor belt.

Putting in my 2cts doesn't make anything clear

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
i'm sure you won't agree with what this article says about it but i'm going with it because it makes sense to me

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It didn't grow 60%.
The summer melt this year just didn't reach last year's record breaking melt season.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

What most people still do not realize is that prior to the last ice

We are still in the last ice-age.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
context, context, context...

as the most holy Tao Te Ching states, "The long is known by the short".

for example, i have a string thats 1 inch long. i hold it next to a string thats 12 inches long and you say "wow, thats 12x bigger." i then take that 12 inch string and lay it next to a string thats a mile long. do you say "wow, thats 5000x smaller."?

the surface ice was larger, but depth was more shallow. as you deniers say, thats weather.

deniers say the earth was hotter and colder in the past. tis true. however, what they ignore is the speed in which the change took place.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It always feels nice and warm and cozy inside when you only get half the story...right? To show how the ice cap has increased in the Arctic but yet ignore the fact that most parts of the Arctic Circle have experienced unprecedented heatwaves this past summer and spring allows you to believe this nonsense that we're actually cooling. Of course the cold air has to go somewhere as extreme heat pushes in, which is what we have experienced in the Midwest this past summer. A cooler summer than usual, while most others have experienced the exact opposite.

Here are a few other stories you may want to chew on;

Greenland may have broken their temperature record this summer while they also have had a lot of ice melt this year and last.

Greenland soars to its highest recorded temperatures

Greenland Ice Sheet today

Siberia town that normally has an average July temperature of 56 degrees reaches 90 in it's heatwave. This is the third year in a row of these extreme heatwaves in Siberia.

Sunburned in Siberia: Heatwave leads to wildfires

Siberian heat may have set Arctic temperature record

And then there's Alaska. I spoke with a couple from Wasilla earlier this summer. The lady said she's lived there for 30 years and has never seen temps go past the 70's, but it's reached the 90's for their own little heatwave and this was in the spring. This record-breaking heatwave up there stretched out into the summer.

2013 Alaskan heatwave breaks temperature records

Crazy Alaskan weather swings from ice to fire

In Alaska, houses are built to keep warm air in and cold air out, not the other way around. So with a record-setting heat wave scorching the state, residents are sweltering amid temperatures soaring past 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Southcentral Alaska hit four all-time highs yesterday (June 17), ranging between 88 F in Seward to 94 F in Talkeetna, according to the National Weather Service's Alaska forecast office. In the southeastern portion of the state, Skagway, a popular cruise ship port-of-call, reached 83 F, almost as warm as St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. Just about every part of the state was warmer than average yesterday, the NWS said.

And still in August, this story;

Fish die as Alaska temperatures continue to break records

And the Arctic isn't the only place experiencing these extreme heatwaves...what about Australia, Pakistan, China (where Shanghai also broke all time high records of 105 degrees), the US Southwest and the south, India, the UK and Ireland and not to mention the 54,000 people hospitalized in Japan because of the extreme heatwave there (as mentioned in another ATS thread). Tell the Japanese the world is entering a mini ice age!

Of course there is still cold air in the Arctic and naturally, there will be cold weather extremes. But, with an overall increase in temperatures, we're seeing a trend towards more hot weather extremes and fewer cold weather extremes.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Anyone who believes in global warming is a fool, that's what the reflective aerosol spraying is for.

In all seriousness though, I think global warming is just a diversion tactic to make us forget about the real impact we have on the environment. The pollution we put into our rivers and oceans, the oil spills and the nuclear disasters, the mass deforestation, etc. They are the real environmental problems which deserve our attention, not this global warming hocus pocus. I saw a report a while ago which stated that greenhouse gases actually help reflect sunlight away from the Earth and cause cooling. That's not to say I would promote more greenhouse gases to be released, because they still pose a health hazard to the people who have to breath it. Shouldn't we actually be more worried about the health affects rather than the heating affects? It just seems to me like this global warming debate is totally irrelevant.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Yeah, last week WWF sent me an email saying Arctic ice was disapaering, which I refuted still waiting for a reply, WWF kept bleating last year about Polar bears dying off, yet the USGS says they estimate there are 25,000 adult bears!!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Ahhh Rats. I was wishing global warming would give us nicer winters here. This is a depressing thread, the ice is getting closer to the great lakes again. I need to start building a campfire every evening and sit around it with a beer to help reverse this trend. Between the smoke and the methane in my beer farts, that should put us back on the warming track.

According to QI America, humans fart hydrogen sulphide, which is why the damn gas stinks!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Global warming has always been about finding new ways to tax something different for me and if its global cooling, we won't be likely to see the extra taxes refunded will we?

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Global warming creates new weather patterns, so this is not proof of Global warming being fake, it's the opposite.

But as usuall people only look locally instead of global, and thereby missunderstanding the whole Global warming issue.

About the taxing of Co2 or Global warming, it's a completly different issue, as there will allways be someone who tries to make money off of it.
edit on 9-9-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

iceagenow.info...

Normally, a supply barge arrives in the Amundsen Gulf in early summer to replenish stocks of fuel and other necessities, says the CBC. But this year, that trip is being held up by ice. As much as 30 to 40 per cent of the Arctic Ocean remains covered in ice.

There have been and still are are several volcanos spewing stuff into the atmosphere these last couple of years so that should have an effect on global temps.. Also Australia is going to vote on a repeal of the whole carbon tax scam...iceagenow.info...

A carbon tax is really a tax on the use of energy. Diehard environmentalists oppose any form of energy use. The code words are “greenhouse gas emissions”, meaning carbon dioxide (CO2) that the Greens constantly tell us will cause the Earth’s temperature to rise, but the Earth is not cooperating, having been in a natural cooling cycle going on 17 years now. Nor are the apocalyptic predictions about CO2 anything more than lies given the fact that it is a minimal element of the Earth’s atmosphere. That said, without it, all life on Earth would die because all vegetation depends on it.

No worry if another ice age is upon us they will just figure out another way of population control and separating your money from your pocket book;;;;;;;;to save the children and the earth....

George Carlin made an interesting comment...

We’re so self-important. So arrogant. Everybody’s going to save something now. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save the snails. And the supreme arrogance? Save the planet! Are these people kidding? Save the planet? We don’t even know how to take care of ourselves; we haven’t learned how to care for one another. We’re gonna save the ****kin’ planet? And, by the way, there’s nothing wrong with the planet in the first place. The planet is fine. The people are ****ed! Compared with the people, the planet is doin’ great. It’s been here over four billion years The planet isn’t goin’ anywhere, folks. We are! We’re goin’ away. Pack your s**t, we’re goin’ away. And we won’t leave much of a trace. Thank God for that. Nothing left. Maybe a little Styrofoam. The planet will be here, and we’ll be gone. Another failed mutation, another closed-end biological mistake.

Obviously easy to pick apart his tirade; but what do you expect from a dead comedian...

edit on 9-9-2013 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinkerpeach

Nope

I do understand you are referencing the fact that their have been ice-sheets present for over 2 million years and that as long as there are ice sheets present we are in an 'ice-age'.

But who are we kidding? The Earth is getting cooler and cooler - there will always be ice-sheets (unless something drastic occurs), so by that definition we will always be in an ice-age

I thought it was obvious that when most people talk about the last ice-age they are referencing 110,000 - 10,000 years ago (approx.) - we are currently in an inter-glacial period and it seems we are very near the end of that period in geological terms.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
So just to recap....

David Icke, among many others was right.

...me Like.

edit:

So...man made global warming ? Can we put one more conspiracy theory up on a pedestal...one more confirmed.
edit on 9-9-2013 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

That website is basically junk, always looking at isolated info, or cherry picking papers and studies to fit it's narrative. That isn't science, nor is it any kind of journalism.

"Haven't seen this much ice in quite a few summers". That would be because those previous years there was a very abnormal lack of ice and one summer doesn't right the situation. It would be nice and I hope that some natural mechanism we haven't observed or determined geologically from the past takes place and balances it all out. But again that would be selective wouldn't it? Since we all know the planet has been much warmer and much colder at various times in the past. We also know that in different parts of the world there have been weather extremes linked to climate change.

And honestly the tax bit is getting really, really old. Considering that fossil fuels come with taxes, profits, exploitation, we even go to war because of the stuff... funny enough it still exists.

The only reason all things climate change are disappearing in Australia is because of who just won the elections over there, that whole election was some seriously dirty business, I wouldn't look to that mess to validate a damn thing.
edit on 9-9-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join