It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interactive map traces 463 of the Bible's contradictions.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

A Evangelical apologist wants to comment on the authenticity of Jesus? Whatever.

From your link:

Evangelical apologist William Lane Craig...

No conflict of interest there.

edit on 24-8-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

LOL

You mean this William Lane Craig?

"But why take the lives of innocent children? The terrible totality of the destruction was undoubtedly related to the prohibition of assimilation to pagan nations on Israel's part. In commanding complete destruction of the Canaanites, the Lord says, 'You shall not intermarry with them, giving your daughters to their sons, or taking their daughters for your sons, for they would turn away your sons from following me, to serve other gods' (Deut 7.3-4). […]

God knew that if these Canaanite children were allowed to live, they would spell the undoing of Israel. […] Moreover, if we believe, as I do, that God's grace is extended to those who die in infancy or as small children, the death of these children was actually their salvation. We are so wedded to an earthly, naturalistic perspective that we forget that those who die are happy to quit this earth for heaven's incomparable joy. Therefore, God does these children no wrong in taking their lives."
www.theguardian.com...

Bart Ehrman has laid out so many indisputable contradictions in the New Testament, that it's credibility is nothing but questionable.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

What do you see to be the conflict of interest there?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Bart Ehrman has laid out so many indisputable contradictions in the New Testament, that it's credibility is nothing but questionable.

Throw one this way and let's discuss it.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

The fact that he's an evangelical who believes the bible is undoubtedly the word of god, so of course he would try to discount anyone who questions the bibles supposed infallibility.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

You say that there are NO contradictions in the Bible? Are you sure?

Your comment is the equivalent of me trying to convert you to Christianity through scripture quotes.

Nice try though.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

There are 463 of them in the OP.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rychwebo

What is Satan?... The Fallen Angel Ariel...

1 Woe to you, Ariel, Ariel,
the city where David settled!
Add year to year
and let your cycle of festivals go on.

2 Yet I will besiege Ariel;
she will mourn and lament,
she will be to me like an altar hearth.[a]

3 I will encamp against you on all sides;
I will encircle you with towers
and set up my siege works against you..

(As was seen in the smoke as it rose from the destruction of the Twin Towers... 911)
4 Brought low, you will speak from the ground;
your speech will mumble out of the dust.
Your voice will come ghostlike from the earth;
out of the dust your speech will whisper.

5 But your many enemies will become like fine dust,
the ruthless hordes like blown chaff.
Suddenly, in an instant,

6 (ABBA) the Lord Almighty will come
with thunder and earthquake and great noise,
with windstorm and tempest and flames of a devouring fire.

7 Then the hordes of all the nations that fight against Ariel,
that attack her and her fortress and besiege her,
will be as it is with a dream,
with a vision in the night—

...The word Satan is your Name For ARIEL...

...The Word Satan... Silly Ariel Teaches Absolutely Notion... The name Ariel that he lost as the Angel Of Darkness... The Angel Of Deceit...

...The Name ARIEL and it's meaning before it fell... Abbas Real Image Emanates Light...

...The Word LIGHT... Love Is God's Highest Truth... This Love As Written He Teaches Himself To Unveil The True Light Of Life...

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Go back and read some of my comments about a couple of them. The contradictions contradict themselves.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The fact that he's an evangelical who believes the bible is undoubtedly the word of god, so of course he would try to discount anyone who questions the bibles supposed infallibility.

What does that have to do with the way Ehrman applies criteria?

The apologist went on to argue that Ehrman's critique was misplaced since the author did not properly state and apply the "criteria of authenticity," an important objective criteria in any historical study.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Okay, What were Jesus' last words upon the cross?

Mark 15
34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Or

Luke 23
46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit, and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Every single one of them? I find it hard to believe that you have gone through every link and proved them to not be contradictions one by one. Seems like you're painting with a mighty broad brush when you say that after not looking over all of them.

About the one you replied to at me, how is the curse of not believing in Jesus any better than the curse of not following the law? You never did answer that, and the "answer" you gave I quickly refuted without a response.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Okay, let me get this straight, a Christian believer's defenses of the Bible can't be cited because it's a conflict of interest, but an agnostic who was once a Christian and left it because he couldn't understand how a loving God could allow evil to exist in the world (that is essentially why he left the faith) and now sells books attacking Christian beliefs in some way isn't a conflict of interest?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

First of all, the verse you posted from Mark 15 doesn't say those were Jesus' last words. If you go further down in Mark, you'll find this verse...

Mark 15:37

37 And Jesus uttered a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.

I don't see the contradiction. For anyone familiar with the New Testament, Matthew, Mark, Luke & John all pretty much repeat the same stories with a slightly different version based on how it was witnessed. Some stories give more details than others, but none of them "contradict" each other.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Slightly different? They have him saying two distinctly different things!

If two witnesses to the same event can't get something like that right, what else did they get wrong?

edit on 24-8-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
In scripture when Jesus prayed to God, he always said "Abba" Father. There is only one exception, On the cross when Jesus said "My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?"

There was a two-fold thing going on with Jesus on the cross. That he wasn't just "preaching" via the Psalm 22's prophecy of the crucifixion, but actually FELT separated from God because he took on the world's sins (sin = separation from God).

The fact of Jesus referring to the Father as "My God" in this moment of despair would indicate that he was taking OUR place in that moment -- rather than those words being a reflection of his personal heart relationship with the Father...

As he said ye were all Gods... And died as gods die... They forget were they came from... The Holy Bible is for SINNERS... It's a Book Of Both Good And Evil... It's up to the men of knowledge to understand it's wisdom...

And as written it must be revealed... As it is now... Both by Numbers... As this Famous Quote... John 3:16... For you to become Christ Like In The Likeness Of Jesus Christ... Father And Son... By The Way Of Truth... FAST... Father Abbas Spiritual Truth... That Ghost That Jesus Lost On The Cross...

...Computer Math... Manifests Abbas Truth Here... MATH...

3:16 is (3x7) + (3x7) ... Is 21 + 21 = 42... For The Scientist The Number Of Life... 42 is 6... The Cross Of Mans Truth... ICXC... I Christ Connect Christians... The Blessing Of Jesus Christ...
edit on 24-8-2013 by Celt1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Celt1
In scripture when Jesus prayed to God, he always said "Abba" Father. There is only one exception, On the cross when Jesus said "My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?"

There was a two-fold thing going on with Jesus on the cross. That he wasn't just "preaching" via the Psalm 22's prophecy of the crucifixion, but actually FELT separated from God because he took on the world's sins (sin = separation from God).

The fact of Jesus referring to the Father as "My God" in this moment of despair would indicate that he was taking OUR place in that moment -- rather than those words being a reflection of his personal heart relationship with the Father...

As he said ye were all Gods... And died as gods die... They forget were they came from... The Holy Bible is for SINNERS... It's a Book Of Both Good And Evil... It's up to the men of knowledge to understand it's wisdom...

And as written it must be revealed... As it is now... Both by Numbers... As this Famous Quote... John 3:16... For you to become Christ Like In The Likeness Of Jesus Christ... Father And Son... By The Way Of Truth... FAST... Father Abbas Spiritual Truth... That Ghost That Jesus Lost On The Cross...

...Computer Math... Manifests Abbas Truth Here... MATH...

3:16 is (3x7) + (3x7) ... Is 21 + 21 = 42... For The Scientist The Number Of Life... 42 is 6... The Cross Of Mans Truth... ICXC... I Christ Connect Christians... The Blessing Of Jesus Christ...
edit on 24-8-2013 by Celt1 because: (no reason given)

It's like you're trying to say something....but I have no idea what it is.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Slightly different? They have him saying two distinctly different things!

If two witnesses to the same event can't get something like that right, what else did they get wrong?

The two versions complete each other. The verse you quoted from Mark WAS NOT Jesus' last words before he gave up the ghost. Mark obviously notes that Jesus uttered something in a loud voice AFTER "My God, My God" . Obviously, the verse in Luke gives us the detail as to what Jesus said RIGHT BEFORE HE GAVE UP THE GHOST. If you'll notice, there were other events that happened to Jesus AFTER he said "My God, My God" . The verse in Mark does NOT say that Jesus gave up the ghost immediately after saying, "My God, My God".

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Criteria of authenticity only has to do with the bible from what I've gathered, so your source saying it is important for "any" historical research is odd.

Do you know what that term means? It basically means that if something aligns a little too well with the authors own opinion, it should be questioned. Funny that Craig's own opinion aligns with his criticism of Ehrman's research isn't it? If I'm not mistaken, Ehrman used to be a preacher of some sort, so I'd say he inquired on things that were against his original opinion which led him to becoming an agnostic, unlike Craig who holds on to his own emotional opinion.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

So, you combine the two accounts and get a new and different account that isn't in any of the gospels. You essentially have written your own gospel.

When did Jesus die? After Passover or before? The gospels are conflicted on this too. Was the Last Supper a Passover meal, as it says in Mark:

Mark 14
14 And wheresoever he shall go in, say ye to the goodman of the house, The Master saith, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?

15 And he will shew you a large upper room furnished and prepared: there make ready for us.

16 And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.

17 And in the evening he cometh with the twelve.

18 And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me.

Or, did Jesus die on the day of preparation of the Passover, as in John's account, and the Last Supper was just a meal?

13 When Pilate heard this, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judge’s seat at a place known as the Stone Pavement (which in Aramaic is Gabbatha).

14 It was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about noon.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join