It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interactive map traces 463 of the Bible's contradictions.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Great minds Akragon.

you know it buddy!

edit on 23-8-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
of course the biggest contradiction in the bible is jesus himself.

Sinners can`t go to heaven because god can`t abide in the presence of sin.
jesus/god came to earth and was in the presence of sinners and sin,
so either jesus wasn`t god or god can abide in the presence of sin and everyone goes to heaven when they die.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

i read the break down of a few and right off the bat it was just nit picking... like when you are trying really hard to discredit something you don't like.

I thought i was going to find something of substance.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
of course the biggest contradiction in the bible is jesus himself.

Sinners can`t go to heaven because god can`t abide in the presence of sin.
jesus/god came to earth and was in the presence of sinners and sin,
so either jesus wasn`t god or god can abide in the presence of sin and everyone goes to heaven when they die.

You have no conception of theology.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by instigatah

Originally posted by instigatah
reply to post by windword

another example of people totally missing out on really basic ideas about the nature of the spiritual war between god and satan. God is above ALL. Satan only has what he has because God has ALLOWED it. Why he does this is another discussion, but for you all to miss the distinction between God having all power of everything, and him allowing satan to operate within certain margins is just really absurd and shows that you have no desire understand anything.

perfect case in point, the book of Job. Satan comes to heavens gate, God tells satan have you seen my servant Job, how righteous he is? Satan says 'yeah but hes only righteous because of your protection....take that away and i will get him to curse you' God says 'he is in your hand, only do not take his life'.

now....do you not see that this situation only exists because God ALLOWS it? or is it still too difficult for you? As i said, WHY God allows satan to be the 'god of this world' as it says in the new testament, is a DIFFERENT discussion. Satan IS the god of this world....God has given him wide latitude in which to fully demonstrate the works of sin and evil so that once and for all the entire universe can see what sin ultimately creates.

What utter trite. Why "Satan" is allowed to flourish is another discussion? Ludicrous. This bible is nothing more than the cultural history of the Israelite civilization and a record of the early history of Christianity. That is why different books contradict each other. That is why separate verses contradict each other. It is a book written by men. Ancient men. Nothing more....nothing less.

What astounds me the most is that modern day people refer to this ancient historical text for guidance in their spiritual lives. Its philosophy is nothing new. Zoroastrians, Buddhists, Taoists, Rationalist Philosophy in Greece, and possibly others spread their philosophical ideas hundreds of years before the New Testament was even a thought. The best that can be said about the bible is that the writers did an excellent job of plagiarizing the works of earlier cultures. Many of the early Old Testament stories are a retelling of stories in The Epic of Gilgamesh. The idea of an "evil" counterpart to god is clearly ripped off from the Zoroastrians. Hell, the concept of Monotheism was ripped off of the Egyptian Pharaoh Akhenaten and his Sun God Aten(who curiously happened to be largely superior to other deities such that the lesser deities did not deserve to be recognized as such).

This bible is nothing more than an amalgamation of older concepts that came before it. I have found far greater ideas, story-telling, and philosophy in the older works that the bibles has ripped off.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

There's plenty of substance, it's just you choose not to see it. The verses and contradictions speak for themselves.

Why not explain how they aren't contradictions?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality

There is actually a theory that Moses was really Akhenaten.

Akhenaten led his people away from the traditional Egyptian religion just like Moses lead the Israelites out of Egypt and they both lived around the same time. Akhenaten was even wiped from history for 3,000 years before being rediscovered in the 19th century, which would be a great way to change his identity.

You are right, the bible, and the OT in particular, is nothing but a pseudo-historical record plagiarized and interpolated by various authors.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I have to admit that I have not heard that theory regarding Moses/Akhenaten. It is thought compelling at the very least. I do know that the Egyptian priesthood rebelled against Akhenaten and forced him and his religious views out of the country. What happened to Akhenaten after that is not clear. I thank you for a further ideal to ponder on. One that kind of makes sense in a way. My only "beef" with that theory is that Moses supposedly came around 100 years after Akhenaten.

Perhaps you could elaborate your ideas to give me a broader picture?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality

There's actually only about 10 or 11 years between Moses and Akhenaten's births, so I think it's still entirely possible. Akhenaten was supposedly born in 1380 BCE and Moses in 1391 BCE.

But this isn't the topic at hand.
Here's a link that goes into it.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
There is not one single contradiction in the bible.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by yamammasamonkey
There is not one single contradiction in the bible.

You're right!!!

There are far too many contradictions to count...

This is a decent summation though

edit on 24-8-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

You make a strong case yamommasamonkey!

Case closed guys.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Originally posted by n00bUK

Originally posted by gladtobehere
Because lets be honest, these religious texts are FAR from perfect. They're actually a bit frightening.

Far from perfect? Personally I'd say they're not far from total b/s.

The Bible:
it is a story of a guy who walked around & did some stuff, witnessed by a bunch of his friends, who then told the story to someone else, who himself told someone else, who himself told someone else... as such for about 200 years (200 years from now was 1813, Napoleon's time! Just to put this time span into perspective), then one of these someones decided to write down what he heard. His book then got translated into another language (there was no internet, online dictionary, even less google translate at that time!), then from this language into another language, and so forth...

My apologies, but to me, this sounds like a rumour, nothing else.
I am not an expert in religions, but I amm sure something similar could be said about other religions' scriptures.

Note: this rumour thing is just about the "book", not about the religion itself.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Being a follower of religion or not, there needs to be tools and discussion like what this site brings out. 6 billion people should have a free choice on beliefs.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
God itself is a contradiction.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

"fully free to CHOOSE to love you.....free to obey you," (quoting you)

i really have a problem with the phrase--"free to obey you"

it suggests a threat is hanging over ones head unless one obeys.

where is the freedom in that?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Originally posted by Jobeycool
Why do people think christians think the bible is some kind of perfect book anyways is a better question.I rely on the bible for faith and prayer and learning about God.

Because most Christians tout it as being perfect. And if you are one who believes it is not perfect. How do you decide what you can trust, and what you can't, regarding "learning about god"?

reply to post by Akragon

Great minds Akragon.

edit on 8/23/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

the bible is the bible. how you interpret it is up to you. YOU decide what any particular verse/chapter means. and if you are raised in traditional christian influence, then usually much of your interpretation will be based on your familys beliefs or whatever your chosen church is promoting. yes, there will be exceptions i know. the point is whatever you read, YOU are the one who ultimately must decide the meaning. and if you're afraid of dying/not existing, then frequently you'll be attracted to the idea that you'll be saved by this or that belief; i have seen many older people embrace religion as their "snuffed out time" approaches.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   

another example of people totally missing out on really basic ideas about the nature of the spiritual war between god and satan. God is above ALL. Satan only has what he has because God has ALLOWED it. Why he does this is another discussion, but for you all to miss the distinction between God having all power of everything, and him allowing satan to operate within certain margins is just really absurd and shows that you have no desire understand anything.

perfect case in point, the book of Job. Satan comes to heavens gate, God tells satan have you seen my servant Job, how righteous he is? Satan says 'yeah but hes only righteous because of your protection....take that away and i will get him to curse you' God says 'he is in your hand, only do not take his life'.

now....do you not see that this situation only exists because God ALLOWS it? or is it still too difficult for you? As i said, WHY God allows satan to be the 'god of this world' as it says in the new testament, is a DIFFERENT discussion. Satan IS the god of this world....God has given him wide latitude in which to fully demonstrate the works of sin and evil so that once and for all the entire universe can see what sin ultimately creates.

I have got to ask, do you actually believe this?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by My_Reality

What utter trite. Why "Satan" is allowed to flourish is another discussion? Ludicrous. This bible is nothing more than the cultural history of the Israelite civilization and a record of the early history of Christianity. That is why different books contradict each other. That is why separate verses contradict each other. It is a book written by men. Ancient men. Nothing more....nothing less.

What astounds me the most is that modern day people refer to this ancient historical text for guidance in their spiritual lives. Its philosophy is nothing new. Zoroastrians, Buddhists, Taoists, Rationalist Philosophy in Greece, and possibly others spread their philosophical ideas hundreds of years before the New Testament was even a thought. The best that can be said about the bible is that the writers did an excellent job of plagiarizing the works of earlier cultures. Many of the early Old Testament stories are a retelling of stories in The Epic of Gilgamesh. The idea of an "evil" counterpart to god is clearly ripped off from the Zoroastrians. Hell, the concept of Monotheism was ripped off of the Egyptian Pharaoh Akhenaten and his Sun God Aten(who curiously happened to be largely superior to other deities such that the lesser deities did not deserve to be recognized as such).

This bible is nothing more than an amalgamation of older concepts that came before it. I have found far greater ideas, story-telling, and philosophy in the older works that the bibles has ripped off.

So very well put.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Responding to those who say the Bible ripped off other older stories;

Don't forget that Abram was not a Hebrew until he became Abraham. Abraham came out of post Sumerian civilization in Ur (Southern Iraq). The Hebrews did not become a people until relatively modern times. They were not Israelites until after Jacob.

Before that there was no such thing as a Hebrew. The Bible repeats the stories of old, probably from Sumerian origin. They share the same stories of The Creation and The Flood. That is why The Epic of Gilgamesh is so similar because it IS the same story, just told differently because the handing down of the story went to different cultures eventually and the oral tradition and cultural influences interfered with the original.

The Bible is a wonderful book. It is worthy of study. Each book is a book by itself. There are many other books, Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha, too. Men put all the different books together under prayers for guidance.

Jesus came as a New Covenant of The God of Israel with His people. The old contract was made null and void and a new contract was established. Comparing the Old Covenant with the New Covenant is like comparing chalk and cheese. The Message Jesus taught was so alien to the Israelites that they could not even recognize it.

The LORD of Hosts does not change. Everything that has happened had to happen just as it did happen. The LORD reveals Himself as and when the time is right. Jesus came along just at the right time for The Gospel to ride on the back of The Roman Empire and spread far and wide. If He had come at any other time then this would not have been possible.

The Old Testament recounts the History of The LORD'S interaction with humanity. Everyone was a pagan before Abraham, so they lived their lives in pagan ways. You will not find The LORD condoning any incest, post Abraham. You will not find The LORD condoning violence of any kind, post Jesus. There is no contradiction, only DEVELOPMENT.

Yes, El Shaddai was very hard in The Old Covenant. HE is The Creator. He painted the picture. It is HIS to do with as HE pleases and we may moan and complain, but that is all we can do.

All of us here will have to die. We live but a very few short years. Only the lucky ones make it to old age and the end of even their lives will be not be pleasant!

Critics of The Bible remember you are just a man or woman that time will forget. You will not be remembered in the future. Abraham and Jesus will be remembered. What does that tell you? You sit on your high horses in vanity thinking you know all the answers, but you do not. You will never convince me you are wise until you do something as remarkable as Jesus, Paul, Abraham or Isaiah. Can you even solve one of the earth and humanity's problems; NO!

If you study the Bible properly you will not find any contradictions. GOD always said HE would bring a Messiah for all the earth, HE lived up to that promise big time. Everything was revealed at the time humanity was evolved enough to be able to cope with it. You forget that everyone was living in darkness and sacrificing their children to pagan gods. Only Israel stood out against all that in History. Every other culture on earth practised human sacrifice in one form or another; light came to the darkness.

Well I accept both Covenants with mighty YAHOUAH ELOHIM. I AM is a living GOD. He interacts with those who believe in HIM and HIS SON.

Prophesy is even right about the end times, like Revelations states;

"Men will curse GOD".

Well cuss and curse all you like. It will not change anything. You will live and you will die. The LORD endures forever!

edit on 24-8-2013 by Revolution9 because: clarification.

edit on 24-8-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling

edit on 24-8-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join