It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interactive map traces 463 of the Bible's contradictions.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MRSeeker

I'm so glad that I'm not a Christian and don't have to deal with this stuff, other than discussion threads. But it sounds more like to me, that Satan is the regional manager and God is the Ceo of some off world corporation. Jesus, I think he represents the spirit of humanity, maybe our union rep.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
On a purely informational level, this website is pretty damn cool! I had no idea there were actually unicorns in the Bible.

www.skepticsannotatedbible.com... This one especially intrigues me. There have to be some mistranslations along the way, but still.

UNICORNS!

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by spartacus699

Care to support your angle that Jesus died for our sins and rose from the dead with actual scientific evidence? Faith is not scientific evidence, it's actually the complete opposite.

I'll be waiting.

That's your problem. You have no faith. And I piss and I sheat on man made science. Because they don't know jack about how the universe works yet they actually have convinced us to believe they know a few things? Get real. They don't know jack.
edit on 25-8-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by edmc^2

"For Christ also died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit;"-- 1 Peter 3:18 RSV

Luke 24
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he showed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of a honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

But Jesus resurrected in the flesh! Spirits don't have flesh and bones, and certainly don't get hungry and need to eat.

edit on 25-8-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

Sure you could also say that he appeared in "flesh and bones" not "flesh and blood" to his apostles as well as up to 500 people, but that doesn't mean that his back to his fleshly body when he was resurrected. Matter of fact he gave up that body for all eternity and can't take it back. No, rather his being in a materialized body of "flesh and bones" is an indication that his a spirit just like the angels who can appear at will in materialized body.

But still do you agree that Jesus was the "first to be resurrected among the dead" who will never die?

After all that was the contradiction you were alluding to.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

Sure you could also say that he appeared in "flesh and bones" not "flesh and blood"

I didn't say that, the Book of Luke did.

to his apostles as well as up to 500 people,

I highly doubt that. A man who was supposedly crucified by the Romans for high crime, whose body Pilot set guards on to make sure it didn't "disappear", would be someone the Romans and the Pharisees would be on the look out for. Can you imagine?!

but that doesn't mean that his back to his fleshly body when he was resurrected.

Of course it does. The tradition of resurrection is of the physical body. That's why Jews didn't believe in cremation. That's why the graves were opened and dead people were reanimated, and walking around and stuff, when Jesus arose. It was a Dead Man's Party!

Most importantly, in the words of Jesus himself, he assured the disciples that he was NOT a spirit! "Does spirit have flesh and bones? Got anything to eat, I'm hungry!"

Matter of fact he gave up that body for all eternity and can't take it back. No, rather his being in a materialized body of "flesh and bones" is an indication that his a spirit just like the angels who can appear at will in materialized body.

Okay, now you're just making stuff up, to fit your imaginative version that doesn't exist anywhere in the Bible.

But still do you agree that Jesus was the "first to be resurrected among the dead" who will never die?

After all that was the contradiction you were alluding to.

I'm not convinced that Jesus was the first to be resurrected, and I don't think that the Bible reinforces idea that very well. Everyone who was raised from the dead in the Bible, and Jesus was raised from the dead, were raised in their physical bodies, including Jesus. And nowhere does the Bible explain what happened to all those resurrected souls, especially the ones who rose with Jesus.

I believe in reincarnation. I thinks there's evidence that biblical "resurrection" is a hidden metaphor for reincarnation. I don't believe in the resurrection story at all. At best, Jesus survived his ordeal, and appeared to the disciples weak, wounded and hungry, before he was ferried to a safe place to live out the rest of life. At worse, the story is made up.

edit on 26-8-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

So you were talking about yourself when you said this?

everyone comes up with some angle to only support their own agenda with no actually scientific basis in mind

Think before you speak.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
God is loving, He doesn't leave you in the dark not knowing.

If you go by the Church, her interpretation which is Christ's teaching NOT one word in Scripture, Old Testament or New Testament conflicts with another.

The reason, God gave the authority to interpret Scripture to the Church NOT everyone reading the Bible.

If you deny the Bible was canonized by the Church, you're already lost Scripture WISE, believing a lie.

I can't read Latin, the first Bible was translated into Latin, the common language of the time. So....read
the English translation of the Latin Vulgate, the Douay-Rheims Bible. It is online. Purchase a paperback
copy, we won't have the Internet much longer. www.drbo.org...

The footnotes help you with the tough verses.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe

God is loving, He doesn't leave you in the dark not knowing.

Bollocks.

Exodus 4
21 The LORD said to Moses, “When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go.

Exodus 11
10 Moses and Aaron performed all these wonders before Pharaoh, but the LORD hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he would not let the Israelites go out of his country.

Isaiah 63
17 Why, O LORD, do you make us wander from your ways and harden our hearts so we do not revere you? Return for the sake of your servants, the tribes that are your inheritance.

John 12
40 He has blinded their eyes and deadened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn–and I would heal them.

2 Thessalonians 2
11 They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie

Romans 1
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
In the holy scriptures in many verses it clearly says God purposely confuses us with all the contradictions. That is because they can only be seen in a spiritual eye not a natural one, it's your depth of vision into something if it's shallow that will lead you to be stuck at these contradictions. But God does it for a reason, his secrets are only for those that search for him, and those that don't want to won't.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBrother

In the holy scriptures in many verses it clearly says God purposely confuses us with all the contradictions. That is because they can only be seen in a spiritual eye not a natural one, it's your depth of vision into something if it's shallow that will lead you to be stuck at these contradictions. But God does it for a reason, his secrets are only for those that search for him, and those that don't want to won't.

Having a "holy eye" doesn't make the contradictions any less contradictory. It just makes you more flexible regarding how you interpret those contradictions. Ever heard of cognitive dissonance?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Making Excuses

This is a fine example you've given us.
edit on 26-8-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

reply to post by MRSeeker

I'm so glad that I'm not a Christian and don't have to deal with this stuff, other than discussion threads. But it sounds more like to me, that Satan is the regional manager and God is the Ceo of some off world corporation. Jesus, I think he represents the spirit of humanity, maybe our union rep.

Jesus could be a whistle blower too. Maybe it's all just a story that is always retelling itself, because people will be people.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBrother

Pretend you sit in as an expert witness on a case involving some crime of 'bible contradiction'. All but you are "confused", because you have this "spiritual eye".

Now pick a bible contradiction. In your own words, like you we're telling it to a child, explain as simplistic as possible how it isn't really a contradiction, but it is a secret revealed. Also pretend this child your explaining it too asks the question, "Why?" a lot, just so I can avoid more asking more questions.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Spiritual eye meaning to think deep about what these words mean to you, not what's literally written in that book. That book is what Apsotle Paul calls "a dead letter." When you can turn those words into a mirror for you, that become "food for thought" then you are looking at it "spiritually." The soul eats thoughts.

A word I would use here would be "a symbolic eye" because the language of God is that of symbolism to create a comparison. To compare a natural concept to explain a spiritual concept. This is what Jesus did and why he only spoke in parables as it is recorded. It is up to people to teach and explain it to others as I am doing now, in a way that even a child can understand because these teachings as it is recorded are for little children, not the complex and complicated. But as it was back then in the time of Jesus, people say they never understood him either, said he spoke in riddles. Read Mark 4 for a better understanding.
edit on 26-8-2013 by TheBrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I don't know if this was a reply to me or not, it sounds like you attempted to address my statement though. I see you haven't explained a contradiction. That map has 463 contradictions, is it possible for you to pick one and explain it through a "symbolic, spiritual eye"? I am ignorant on the subject matter, so you will have to excuse my inability to do my own research into non literal text needing a spiritual eye to understand. Without trying to go off on other subjects, try to stick with the below format to help me, and maybe help others.

Fill out A through C with requested information.
A. Any Bible verse shown on the OPs map of contradictions
B. A verse that contradicts "A"
C. Explain, with words filtered through a symbolic, "spiritual eye", how A & B should make sense. Also format this explanation so a child can read it without having to dig through a bible for research. Lay it all out.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rychwebo

I don't know if this was a reply to me or not, it sounds like you attempted to address my statement though. I see you haven't explained a contradiction. That map has 463 contradictions, is it possible for you to pick one and explain it through a "symbolic, spiritual eye"? I am ignorant on the subject matter, so you will have to excuse my inability to do my own research into non literal text needing a spiritual eye to understand. Without trying to go off on other subjects, try to stick with the below format to help me, and maybe help others.

C. Explain, with words filtered through a symbolic, "spiritual eye", how A & B should make sense. Also format this explanation so a child can read it without having to dig through a bible for research. Lay it all out.

Let's use this verse, from the VERY first page of this wonderful and amazing book. That would make sense of all the other and any contradiction found in the scriptures.

1. Genesis 1v2

How can the earth be void and without form. It would be round, have dirt, or water, or something, but it says it was nothing, void. Literally this doesn't make sense, infact is contradictory because how can you have a natural planet without any form or material.

Yes I pointed you to Mark 4 which is a wonderful key to this mystery. Jesus said the sower soweth the word. Seeds get sown in the Earth, the word only go one place, the mind of a man. Ah so the Earth is like the mind of a man. Now go back to Genesis and now we can see how the mind of a man can be empty and void, no shape of godliness whatsoever. Full of Darkness which is misunderstanding.

If you read the scriptures literally just like this one verse you will find contradictions all over and it will not make sense, but now take this key you have been shown and look again. Yes and this is just a few verses of this wonderful book.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Jesus often is reported to have given parables, but ALL of saying are not parables. The Lords Prayer and the Beatitudes aren't parables and his prophecies in Matthew 24 aren't parables. When he told Peter to forgive 7 times 70 times, was that a parable? When he said that you must forgive to be forgiven, and when he promised to answer prayer and everlasting life, were those parables?

Contradictions are just that, contradictions. The Bible isn't without error.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

The example, that you've posted from Genesis 1:2, isn't a contradiction. In the spirit of the OP, a contradiction is when it says one thing, like "God is Love" and somewhere else it says "Yahweh is a God of war".

Maybe, there are different gods being confused for one in the Bible.

I'd love it if you could answer this one.

Pilate Sets a Guard

62 On the next day, which followed the Day of Preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees gathered together to Pilate, 63 saying, “Sir, we remember, while He was still alive, how that deceiver said, ‘After three days I will rise.’ 64 Therefore command that the tomb be made secure until the third day, lest His disciples come by night and steal Him away, and say to the people, ‘He has risen from the dead.’ So the last deception will be worse than the first.”

The Day after the crucifixion of Jesus, was the Day of Preparation......

Matthew 13 When Pilate heard this, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judge’s seat at a place known as the Stone Pavement (which in Aramaic is Gabbatha).

14 It was the day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about noon.

So did Jesus die on the Day of Preparation of the Passover, or the day before the Day of Preparation? The Gospels contradicting themselves here.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I didn't see that contradiction on the map at all, I tried looking for it.

So I have to ask, did you make up this supposed contradiction, or is it on the OPs posted map and I missed it?

I don't want any distraction, so I'd like to get back to the original request so everything is nice and tidy. Again, look at the contradiction map, grabbing one at random would be good, or finding the most contradictive one would be better, and make understanding easy for me with the below format.

C. Explaination.
edit on 26-8-2013 by Rychwebo because: Consolidation

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Jesus often is reported to have given parables, but ALL of saying are not parables. The Lords Prayer and the Beatitudes aren't parables and his prophecies in Matthew 24 aren't parables. When he told Peter to forgive 7 times 70 times, was that a parable? When he said that you must forgive to be forgiven, and when he promised to answer prayer and everlasting life, were those parables?

Contradictions are just that, contradictions. The Bible isn't without error.

The Lord's prayer IS a parable, no not every single word from Jesus was a parable but much of it was. There were multiple levels of understanding depending on the level of the persons thinking. One level is the natural, the other level which I speak for is this spiritual. For starters, there is a reason why it is written in KJV "In Earth" not "On Earth" in this prayer and other verses like Job 1 verse 7.

No I chose this verse to show you that when you find a contradiction it is with good reason and hinting to you there is much more to those words than to be literally read.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join