Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Interactive map traces 463 of the Bible's contradictions.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Interactive map traces 463 of the Bible's contradictions.

Using data from the Skeptic's Annotated Bible, programmer Daniel G. Taylor created this encyclopedic visualization of 463 of the Bible's major contradictions.

Here's how to read it:

Each vertical blue line represents a different chapter, ordered chronologically. The red arcs trace each represent a question about a specific person or concept. These range from incredibly mundane ("Is it OK to use perfume?") to the monumental ("Is God the creator of evil?"). Clicking on one of the red lines takes you to a list of every relevant quote from both Old and New Testaments.

Here is a link to the actual interactive map.

Not sure why the number "463". Is that all he could find, are there more?

I find the concept of "contradictions" in Holy Books to be quite interesting.

There was a thread about the "perfect" Koran being imperfect. Thats actually something that I've experienced first hand. During religious debates/discussions, I've heard Moslems say that the Koran is "perfect or without contradictions" (paraphrasing) which they hold as "proof" that the Koran is from God.

Now, I've also had Christians tell me that the Bible is also without contradictions but its not done with the same consistency as Moslems.

Then there are other Christian denominations which dont really read or study the Bible at all.

I think it would be interesting to see a similar map about the Koran.

Because lets be honest, these religious texts are FAR from perfect. They're actually a bit frightening.

edit on 23-8-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
i might as well be the first to chime in here.

contradictions....ok by whose standard? which version of the bible are we using? Are we doing deep exegesis on the original languages to make sure we know exactly what is being said?

as to the misogynism and violence etc...actually one of the things the bible has going for it is its unapologetic representation of the lives and history it recounts. It doesnt sugar coat ANYTHING...it lays it all out in graphic detail and in so doing actually opens itself to perhaps greater criticism and rejection than if its 'writers' had endeavored to soften certain things.

i challenge anyone who things they have the bible figured out and can discount it or 'debunk' it based on some apparent contradictions.....tell me what they are....I can almost guarantee within a few minutes of reading the text myself and using some reference materials can explain it pretty easily.

there was a thread not too long about about creationism and a fellow member decided to throw out some website with apparent contradictions which the rejection prone are apt to use to make themselves feel good, and within a few minutes i was able to clearly point out how there was no deception or contradiction at all....merely a novice misapprehension of the text.

there really are very VERY FEW people who reject the bible after a careful and deep study of the material. Usually people reject the scriptures because they have a philosophical bone to pick or somewhere had a bad experience associated with religion in some form. But rejecting God or the bible on such grounds is really intellectually shallow and unfair to the person themselves who do it. By summarilly rejecting the bible based on what is usually a very tiny bit of information in relation to the whole, a person deprives themselves of what could be the doorway to eternity.....and thats not something to take lightly.

in any event, at least these kinds of threads do one thing REALLY well, and its not disprove anything...but rather draw attention to a book that more than any other in the history of the world has shaped the development of the world. No, you cannot say that about the koran, the vedic texts, or any other religious work. The bible stands as pre imminent above all the written works of man, and no matter how its been 'used' by man...it will always stand alone.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
Because lets be honest, these religious texts are FAR from perfect. They're actually a bit frightening.

Far from perfect? Personally I'd say they're not far from total b/s.

There's so many contradictions because loads of people wrote it from different time periods.

Thanks for sharing the link anyhow, I wasn't aware there were so many

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yes, there are many contradictions in the bible, but good luck convincing Christians about that. They have been brainwashed into believing it is the infallible word of god and no amount of evidence will ever convince them otherwise. To do so would be to risk torture in hell for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and EVER.

This is the work of Satan, to get people to believe a lie at the cost of their souls. Muslims, Jews, Christians, Mormons, etc. are all in the same boat.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by instigatah

i challenge anyone who things they have the bible figured out and can discount it or 'debunk' it based on some apparent contradictions.....tell me what they are....I can almost guarantee within a few minutes of reading the text myself and using some reference materials can explain it pretty easily.

Why not go to the link? That's what it's there for, for you to look over. Did you even read the OP, or did you give a knee-jerk response to the title?

This is what I mean, no matter what evidence is brought forward, you will always stick your head in the sand and deny deny deny.

...but rather draw attention to a book that more than any other in the history of the world has shaped the development of the world.

And what a great world it has helped to shape. Everything is peaches and cream thanks to the bible I guess.

edit on 23-8-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
That would be very important if anyone claimed the Bible had no inconsistencies, or that it mattered in any way at all somehow.

Fools mire themselves in minutiae, and miss The Message.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I think it would be interesting to see a similar map about the Koran.

I am actually looking forward to it.
Qur'an itself challenges to do it.

4:82. Do they not then consider the Qur'an carefully? Had it been
from other than Allah, they
would surely have found therein
much contradictions

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

you shoot yourself in the foot my friend, for the accusation you leveled against me turns out is actually against yourself.

you ask me did i look at the link, would it matter if i did? after all, im not the one with the problem here. I believe the bible as the word of God and the instructions for how to live a life acceptable to God. As a matter of fact you were so hasty in your reply that you didnt even apparently take notice of whether or not i said there were no inconsistencies, i merely said that i could most like resolve any that were pointed out.

a case in point...if you had bothered to follow the link very deeply at all you would perhaps have noticed that on the map, at the bottom of the page were listed numerically the 'contradictions'. I decided to follow the link for the very first one...which deals with how many men the chief of Davids captains killed. The link if you follow it actually goes to....*drum roll* a CHRISTIAN website called the skeptics bible...which helps people sort out the apparent contradictions of the bible. But i dont suppose you made it that far.

in any event, you accuse me of a kneejerk response. Really? is it a kneejerk response when ive seen threads like this posted just dozens and dozens of times all dealing with the same basic information. If youve seen one youve nearly seen them all....that doesnt make my response knee jerk at all. Your response appears to be more 'kneejerk' than mine since you didnt even take the time to point out a link from the OP that could back up your side of things.......again....intellectually shallow.

as to your issue about the bible shaping the development of the world.....men do what men do....and it has little to do with the bibles message, which if you studied you would know better than to link the two. That the bible has played such a pivotal role in world history speaks to its singular and enigmatic nature. Were it a bunch of nonsense babbled from the mouths of sheep herders as some claim, it would not have passed muster with millions of the brightest minds the world has seen who saw fit in their study of it to make it a part of their lives and influence thier decisions. Obviously no one who takes the bible seriously where it says not to kill would then go out and convert by the sword as many did. This in no way reflects the nature or message of the bible and its foolhardy and intellectually dishonest to believe this way when it is clearly spelled out in the new testament that murder (killing)is not allowed.

as to debunking something for apparent contradiction. If a crime was committed and one witness said the getaway car was a green ford and another said it was a teal blue chevy.....and it turns out it was a blue ford crown victoria instead of an impala like the other person thought....would you throw out all the testimony by the witness that got the model/color wrong? sometimes small details get lost in the amount of witnesses to an event. Its also extremely petty to discount something on the basis of a small detail that has almost nothing to do with the crux of the issue. Thats what they mean by missing the forest for the trees...in case thats a new expression for you.

edit on 23-8-2013 by instigatah because: other thoughts

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Very cool stuff, although it's a little hard to navigate. I like this one.

WHO OWNS THE EARTH
God
The most high God, possessor of heaven and earth.... Genesis 14:19, 22
The earth is the LORD's. Exodus 9:29
All the earth is mine. Exodus 19:5
Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the LORD's thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is. Deuteronomy 10:14
All that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine. 1 Chronicles 29:11
The earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. Psalm 24:1
The world is mine, and the fulness thereof. Psalm 50:12
The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine. Psalm 89:11
The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof. 1 Corinthians 10:26
Satan
The devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee. Matthew 4:8-9
And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee. Luke 4:5-6
Humans
The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD's: but the earth hath he given to the children of men. Psalm 115:16

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

You're the one who asked for the contradictions after the OP had already linked to a site containing 463 of them.

I see no reason why you'd ask for someone to tell you what the contradictions were when they are all in the OP waiting for you. Also, pointing out what site the first link links to does NOT explain away the contradiction.

Also, why should I have to re-post a contradiction when they're right there already? Do you want others doing the research for you? That's pretty "intellectually shallow" if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

another example of people totally missing out on really basic ideas about the nature of the spiritual war between god and satan. God is above ALL. Satan only has what he has because God has ALLOWED it. Why he does this is another discussion, but for you all to miss the distinction between God having all power of everything, and him allowing satan to operate within certain margins is just really absurd and shows that you have no desire understand anything.

perfect case in point, the book of Job. Satan comes to heavens gate, God tells satan have you seen my servant Job, how righteous he is? Satan says 'yeah but hes only righteous because of your protection....take that away and i will get him to curse you' God says 'he is in your hand, only do not take his life'.

now....do you not see that this situation only exists because God ALLOWS it? or is it still too difficult for you? As i said, WHY God allows satan to be the 'god of this world' as it says in the new testament, is a DIFFERENT discussion. Satan IS the god of this world....God has given him wide latitude in which to fully demonstrate the works of sin and evil so that once and for all the entire universe can see what sin ultimately creates.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I didnt say i wanted anyone to do anything...i said i challenge anyone who has an apparent contradiction to show me....theres a difference. For you to accuse me of wanting other people to do research for me is an absurd statement and i dont know how you can take yourself seriously. AS i said earlier...im not the one with the problem here. The apparent contradictions dont bother me at all because i know better. Those of YOU who would discount the authority of the bible on the basis of these insignificant contradictions are the ones who need the help.

If you have your mind made up, why sit around in a self congratulatory circle jerk making yourselves feel better about not needing the bible because of these things? its an exercise in futility. IF on the other hand any of you actually had an ounce of genuine desire to know the truth and it so happened that some things in the bible were holding you back, then it would be a REAL discussion. AS it is its like vultures to the rotten meat.....

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

another example of people totally missing out on really basic ideas about the nature of the spiritual war between god and satan. God is above ALL. Satan only has what he has because God has ALLOWED it. Why he does this is another discussion, but for you all to miss the distinction between God having all power of everything, and him allowing satan to operate within certain margins is just really absurd and shows that you have no desire understand anything.

perfect case in point, the book of Job. Satan comes to heavens gate, God tells satan have you seen my servant Job, how righteous he is? Satan says 'yeah but hes only righteous because of your protection....take that away and i will get him to curse you' God says 'he is in your hand, only do not take his life'.

now....do you not see that this situation only exists because God ALLOWS it? or is it still too difficult for you? As i said, WHY God allows satan to be the 'god of this world' as it says in the new testament, is a DIFFERENT discussion. Satan IS the god of this world....God has given him wide latitude in which to fully demonstrate the works of sin and evil so that once and for all the entire universe can see what sin ultimately creates.

Evidence that your God is a royal prick. He made evil, he sent it down upon us, and he demands our utter and eternal fealty or he will give us to that evil. He holds our imperfections against us despite being the designator of those imperfections, and will not be satisfied unless we've made recompense by surrendering our souls to his will. He killed his own son because he wasn't willing to do everything right the first time. I guess he was looking for a challenge. Either way, I refuse to be a pawn in his game. If I do it, I do it for me and for those I care about. So if I'm playing his game, at least I'm playing for my own reasons instead of mindlessly heeding his will.

As for all you other players who have gladly given your allegiance to such an abstract entity as this God dude: You gotta be sick in the head if you're doing business with that kind of psychopath. That's your decision, but don't treat the rest of us like idiots just because we're not as desperate as you are. We have our freedom of destiny, our independence of the spirit, and we're keeping it.
edit on 23-8-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

The OP showed you 463 "apparent contradictions" in his OP. Instead of asking people to outline individual contradictions for you, why not click the link and do it yourself? "Again..... intellectually shallow".

Why would you ask people to show you the contradictions when that was the whole point of the OP in the first place?

If the bible is infallible as Christians believe, there would be no apparent contradictions at all in the first place, it would be unquestionable. These apparent contradictions are not insignificant when you take the bible's supposed infallibility into account.
edit on 23-8-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Here's another that has always bothered me:

Jesus was the first person to rise from the dead.
Acts 26:23
That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead.
1 Corinthians 15:20
But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

Others rose from the dead before him.
1 Samuel 28:11, 14
Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel .... And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel.
1 Kings 17:22
And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.
2 Kings 4:32-35
And when Elisha was come into the house, behold, the child was dead, and laid upon his bed. He went in therefore, and shut the door upon them twain, and prayed unto the LORD. And he went up, and lay upon the child, and put his mouth upon his mouth, and his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands upon his hands: and stretched himself upon the child; and the flesh of the child waxed warm. Then he returned, and walked in the house to and fro; and went up, and stretched himself upon him: and the child sneezed seven times.
2 Kings 13:21
And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.
Matthew 9:23-25
And when Jesus came into the ruler's house, and saw the minstrels and the people making a noise, He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn. But when the people were put forth, he went in, and took her by the hand, and the maid arose.
Matthew 27:52-53
And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
Luke 7:12-15
Now when he came nigh to the gate of the city, behold, there was a dead man carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow: and much people of the city was with her. And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not. And he came and touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. And he said, Young man, I say unto thee, Arise. And he that was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he delivered him to his mother.
Luke 9:30
And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias.
John 11:43
And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
That site is not as 'user-friendly' as it purports to be. A cool idea, tho.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

you wouldnt be the first to verbalize that thought/feeling. The 'problem of evil' has been debated and discussed and written to death for hundreds of years. But theres more to it than meets the eye and if your gut reaction is as far as you ever get then you will never understand it.

If you begin with the assumption that there was war in heaven, as the bible says there was in revelation, then you must follow the trail back to the beginning, Ezekiel 28and Isaiah 14 where we get a glimpse of the thought processes that went on in Lucifers head before he was kicked out of heaven.

But thats not even what this whole thing is about. Its about the power of choice and free will. I'm giving you a huge short cut here but as much as ive studied the spiritual war, what it really comes down to is this : If youre God....do you want your created beings to be limited only to obeying you, and therefore be basically glorified biological robots merely running a program of blind submission to God? Or....on the wild side....do you want your creatures to be fully aware, fully free to CHOOSE to love you.....free to obey you, free to exist within the parameters of the physics of existence?

see, the nature of the universe and matter dictates certain things. As a living being you cannot drink gasoline....your cells are made to use only certain substances for living. Well studied christians and other spiritual persons of other traditions recognize that spiritual law is nothing more than another dimension of physical law.

to put it bluntly, satan defied the laws of existence. He chose himself....he chose selfishness above everything else. He chose 'me first' when the laws of the universe are not 'me first' but perfect cooperation and coexistence with everything else....every particle or element depending in some fashion upon another for its own existence. Now, you may love the smell of gasoline...may love the taste of it.....but if you drink enough it will kill you. Its not made to nurture and feed the cells of your body.

Why people dont get or want to get the idea that moral/spiritual life has rules just like physical life is beyond me. It seems so obvious and not just to christians, but to many religions.

is God a prick because he created something that chose to reject everything good? thats a deep and long discussion there......but definitely one worth contemplating if you believe the bible.
edit on 23-8-2013 by instigatah because: wrong texts

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

if it really bothers you why dont you research it? I say again....many of you who appear to have a problem with the bible dont really want a solution to your problem....its much easier to hold onto your apparent contradiction rather than see it for what it is and watch it melt away....leaving you with a much HARDER problem......what do i do if there really is a God and this is his book?

the verse that you quoted from solves your problem.....Jesus was the 'first fruits' of the ressurected dead. In that sense he was the first of the dead to be resurrected because he was the 'first fruits' of them risen from the dead. But if you know nothing about what 'first fruits' is then this whole thing would make no sense.....which it doesnt by your post......

in ancient israel at every harvest time the first fruits were brought as an offering to God.......representing the entire harvest and the BEST of the harvest. The first fruits were to be the best examples of the harvest. Jesus was an offering to God on behalf of man. He was the first fruits of those risen from the dead and as an offering to God, like a lamb also was often the first fruits of all the lambs born by its parents, to be a sacrifice.

so...was that really so hard? again...you actually have to study the bible and know what youre talking about before you make a judgement out of hand that the bible is contradicting itself.

next.....?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

What about this one?

Galatians 3
10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse...

Deuteronomy 27
26 Cursed be anyone who does not confirm the words of this law by doing them....

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I believe in a God, but the Bible is NOT his book. My God's book is all around you. It's written in your heart, in the trees, you can listen to it in a child's laughter, in the lull of waves of the ocean and the wind ruslting in trees.

If I did believe that the Bible was God's book, I would be like you. I'd be upset when people criticized it. I'd tell people that it could only be understood with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit and that not everyone is called.

That being said, I guess getting raised from the dead wasn't THAT big of deal!

As far as Jesus being a sacrifice.............Who performed this sacrifice? Why wasn't it done by a priest? Why would God accept a sacrifice that was done in anger by an unruly mob in the most unholy way?

Were the people who killed Jesus tricked into performing a human sacrifice to Yahweh? Why did this God especially like animal sacrifices and then was content with the human sacrifice of Jesus' physical body and his blood, so that no more animal sacrifice was needed? It was just a body, after all, and Jesus got it back, albeit with holes in it, 3 days later.

And finally, if Jesus was God, did he sacrifice himself to himself to save us from himself?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join