It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It seems there are two main ways of obtaining stars on ATS...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Crafting an intelligent and good-spirited reply, and acting like a total five-year old.

I must know once and for all. Why do people star rude comments? The ones that I've seen get them usually contain an element of what might be interpreted as a humorous jibe, but as someone who was on the receiving end of my share of such, let me assure you, it's meant to be hurtful. A lot.

And people approve of that. Just... WHY? I've had it up to here with getting ganged up on.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

Why does it matter? You cannot spend the stars. You cannot trade them. Most people on ATS judge posters based on their content, and not the amount of stars they have obtained. Lead by example. But I will star your OP before I go.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Try not to take the stars and flags too seriously. They aren't real. You can't eat them. You can't barter with them. They're useless.

Because the system has outlived its usefulness, they're given away freely.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I won't star something I think is hurtful to someone else, unless they attack me, then I star them.

The reason being I believe in killing with kindness, and starring someone is one of the ways I can feel better for their comments. I don't do that always though, it all depends on my mood.

But I really don't think to much about stars, and pretty much star anyone who responds to me as a way of acknowledging even if I don't respond with a comment. But people do it for different reasons.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Does it have anything to do with your views and opinions?

I have noticed that when I see that happen, typically, the recipient of the jibe brought it on to themselves.

Those others are staring the Perpetrator because they have only said what everyone else was thinking.

It's a rough world out there.

Here, .. .. Have a Star . ... .. .. and a Flag.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The way to get stars .... say something that is popular. I"ve seen lots of people get stars for saying nonsense and yet those posting facts or truthful information will be passed by.

I"m not a fan of stars. I"m of the opinion that they contribute to group think.
Group think = bad.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

What a stupid comment from darkblade. Haha just joking.

If I see rude comments to people, especially new members I always try to defend them. Some members only post rude comments, I have some in mind but won't name names, and they have many stars. Some people think It's funny to bully other members and other members star these people because It's like joining sides.

Only thing you can do is ignore them or fight fire with fire.

Good luck.
edit on 31-7-2013 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
Crafting an intelligent and good-spirited reply, and acting like a total five-year old.

I must know once and for all. Why do people star rude comments? The ones that I've seen get them usually contain an element of what might be interpreted as a humorous jibe, but as someone who was on the receiving end of my share of such, let me assure you, it's meant to be hurtful. A lot.

And people approve of that. Just... WHY? I've had it up to here with getting ganged up on.

Take a deep breath and just think, only one more month until school starts up again. This happens every summer.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
With that said...I'm staring everyone in this thread, free stars for everyone
yay! And a flag for op for not starting another Alien or NSA thread. Refreshing.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

My tone was blunt in one instance, but my actual opinion was shared by half the commenters. The other person got a Manners and Decorum sticker (and only 2 stars, at that), so that helped.

But the most recent one was in a thread that is currently a total circus. The moderators are eating popcorn. Maybe everyone thought the OP and I were joking back and forth, who knows...

edit on 31-7-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Just wait until you are on the wrong side of the debate.

I have Been there and done that several times.

But, I don't let a lack of stars detour me from what I truly believe.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The secret to stars and flags is simple...either

Craft an intelligent and good-spirited reply or...

make a thread about stars and flags...

The latter seems to work the best.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex

vortex!!! long time no see!!!

There... I star because I see people I like!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

I'm not sure what you mean. Is it like, being the one person defending one's view against the overwhelming majority? If so, how would that provoke one to snap and regress 20 years?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Originally posted by PurpleVortex

vortex!!! long time no see!!!

There... I star because I see people I like!

Hey Saturn
long time...how's the puppeteering goin?
star back at ya...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleVortex

Slow mate.. not much puppeteering.. tired as hell, lots of work, and damn its hot around here, almost forgot whats like to work at a normal job ... think its harder than the "other". Oh well...

Out before the op shoots me for hijacking the thread

edit on 31-7-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

There are always 2 sides to a debate.

Sometimes there are equal views on both sides.

Sometimes there are an overwhelming majority on one side and very few on the other.

Allot of times instead of a healthy debate what you get is a malicious verbal massacre.

It does not provoke people to regress. It provokes people to De-Evolve into Rabid Neolithic Cavemen that attack because they are thinking with their Reptilian Brain.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Slow mate.. not much puppeteering.. tired as hell, lots of work, and damn its hot around here, almost forgot whats like to work at a normal job ... think its harder than the "other". Oh well...

Out before the op shoots me for hijacking the thread

edit on 31-7-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

Hot and tired sounds too familiar. Trying to change the mood of this thread just needs a you and I lol. * No shoving or pushing people, everyone gets a star in this thread, but I can't promise any seconds...*

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina

Acting out in reply... both of those, pretty much. It's the 'for the entertainment' view that is why social networking sites such as message boards are popular. The whole changing over to the s & f system fell into that when I don't believe it was intended. For example my own observation with posts, most stars came from in replying to someone who started a thread that was less favored in opinion. It seems less stars come from researched replies in comparison. If I cared about the whole s & f ratio, would say it really does make it less worthy to spend all of that time trying to share with others about research on the topic when you can be approved of more so star wise for countering an opinion.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

yea this could be the "come here and get a star" thread... for people who never get starred anywhere.

OP... change title to "ATS star sell out - we give stars here"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join