It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It seems there are two main ways of obtaining stars on ATS...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

You actually believe what the news tells you, you must be either getting paid to post this disinfo or your the most ignorant member on ATS"........

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
Crafting an intelligent and good-spirited reply, and acting like a total five-year old.

I must know once and for all. Why do people star rude comments? The ones that I've seen get them usually contain an element of what might be interpreted as a humorous jibe, but as someone who was on the receiving end of my share of such, let me assure you, it's meant to be hurtful. A lot.

And people approve of that. Just... WHY? I've had it up to here with getting ganged up on.

Or write a thread to pick on Christians.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Stars and flags provide feedback about what is written in the post. Someone agreeing with the OP may not leave a reply, but leave a star and/or to show agreement. You can't spend them, but does it cost you anything to give them?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

If i have to count the stars from childish replies i have gotten from "foes" against my posts, it would be a galaxy. No matter, on the bright side, some of us are just that pale blue dot, and that counts for some. It stands out if you look carefully.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

A star for u!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The way to get stars .... say something that is popular. I"ve seen lots of people get stars for saying nonsense and yet those posting facts or truthful information will be passed by.

I"m not a fan of stars. I"m of the opinion that they contribute to group think.
Group think = bad.

Agreed

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Star allocation from me comes one of two main ways. Either a post or thread speaks to me in a deep and meaningful way, or makes me blow tea from both nostrils across a fairly wide area. I do not star a post or thread which does neither of these two things.

Sometimes a person will post a comment which with the best will in the world, marks them out as a fantastical haflwit, and a response to that post which announces the pedestrian and intellectually void nature of that post will more than likely gain a star from me also. The truth is a cruel mistress, but one from whom I would hope we are all prepared to take the occassional spanking.

Sometimes a thread, or post within a thread, will contain such stunning insight, or grand works of research, that to not offer up a star seems unfair or callous, and in this way too may a person gain a star from me.

However, I do not star threads and posts which contain not one iota of value or good humour.

My attitude to my personal star count can be boiled down to "I really couldnt give a gold plated crap". I say what I think, what I feel, I speak my truth. One can either deal with it and gain something from it, or discard my comments as they wish, I care not a damn for the plaudits which may come from it. It is on each of us to ensure the quality of our input, our contributions to the site. The main thing is to ensure that you are happy with your own contributions, because they are the only thing about this site that you have the slightest control over.

Maintaining a quality level you are happy with is all that you can do, and as long as you feel that you are doing that to the best of your capacity, then the stars can burn out and drop from the heavens, and the flags can do what they do best, burn and fall. May the arms of the standard bearers grow weary, and may thier standards be coated in muck.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I can't answer why people star bad posts...

But I gave you a star because I like the cake in your avatar. I like to bake cakes, and I like the way that one looks. It looks like a Smurf cake. I dig the little embellishment on top.

My whole thing is, if I get some stars...great. If I don't, oh well. It's the same with upvotes on Reddit.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Does it really matter? Is your life so void of meaning that the number of stars you get or don't get defines you? Who cares... it's just a website where you interact with people that you will never meet or know in your REAL life.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
An ATSer should get numerous stars for killing a thread by presenting the truth over what the OP is trying to convey through deception, omission, trolling or trying to turn a flame into a big fire.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Stars?

I don't want your stinking stars.

I think if you give a star you should lose a star. (same for flags.)

I know right now you're thinking to yourself that guy is so smart.

edit on 31-7-2013 by playernumber13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I never take the stairs. Even if there are two of them.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Ha or write a christian post slagging off every other religion or anyone who questions your brand with a higher than thou attitude.
Boo Hoo are we all picking on the Christians again.
edit on 31-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Ha or write a christian post slagging off every other religion or anyone who questions your brand with a higher than thou attitude.
Boo Hoo are we all picking on the Christians again.
edit on 31-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

Thumb through the religion forums, see how many threads attack Christianity verses the others.

QQ, your tears taste sweet.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
may I have some stars please? im practicing being a ninja, and im on a budget.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I star often because I think the comment deserves it and I may not reply so a star just shows agreement for me.
I may not agree with the comment I str, but if it contributes to the discussion and opens it up then fair play.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   

If I start a new thread I try to keep up and answer the replies so I also star them and I star people to let them and myself know that I read what they wrote...So basically I use the stars like a check mark...lol...a reminder to myself...and a thank you to those that contributed in the thread.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

Same here, except for thanking everyone. I'm always afraid it will act as a 'wrap up' and prevent any new commenters.
I sure am enjoying this thread though. I am filled with appreciation.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I always thought #1 way to get starts on ATS is to be..

A Republican Gun owner making anti-Obama/democrat thread 5x a day. being a female is a bonus.

Seems to work!
edit on 8/1/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
People post for stars? Seriously?

Over the years, I've seen points, awards, stars, etc. Personally, I just post to share thoughts, ideas, and information. Could care less about such other things. If I made someone think, or laugh, that's way better than any star.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join