It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY food stamp recipients are shipping welfare-funded groceries to relatives in Jamaica, Dominican Re

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Food stamps are paying for trans-Atlantic takeout — with New Yorkers using taxpayer-funded benefits to ship food to relatives in Jamaica, Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

Welfare recipients are buying groceries with their Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards and packing them in giant barrels for the trip overseas, The Post found. The practice is so common that hundreds of 45- to 55-gallon cardboard and plastic barrels line the walls of supermarkets in almost every Caribbean corner of the city.

Say what NYC?

So that means more than 100 million Americans are on food aid.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but shouldn't that money feed oh say the people in THIS country?

$86 billion dollar food aid per year?

Is this not considered to be welfare fraud?

Plus we are already sending welfare to them via 'foreign aid' that hell should be called what it is globalized wealth redistribution.

If you need help fine, but to people and their families HERE.

With all the fraud and abuse within the current system we could probably cut out near a 1 trillions off spending

That is probably happening in other cities, and going to other countries as well.

Money for nuthin and the EBT's for free...It's song sing it, sing it all the way to 17 trillion dollars, and 3 years from now 20 trillion.

America?

Me no like U.
edit on 21-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This is nothing new NEO, Mexicans have been doing this for years....come here get on food stamps and other programs. They work mostly off the books, so they can get these benefits and keep em coming in.

They send the cash assistance and food stuffs to their starving family's in Mexico.

EDIT: Much like the rest of the american population, lie cheat steal coerce.....the REAL american way it appears.

edit on 21-7-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The system is broken. The Earth has the capacity to feed around 12 billion at current estimates. We only have 7 billion population so why are people starving? We should be able to fully feed every single human being on the planet but worries about compensation and "whos gonna pay for it" cripple our efforts.

I fully support them sending food to their malnourished families even if I have to pay a few extra dollars in taxes.

The real crime is not these immigrants sending food to their homelands, it's that we in the modern nations waste so much food. We throw away what others kill each other over and it sickens me. We place laws that force growers to destroy perfectly edible crops because of market manipulations.

Don't like America? Visit a dirt poor country and you'll change your angry little tune.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by zero1020
The system is broken. The Earth has the capacity to feed around 12 billion at current estimates. We only have 7 billion population so why are people starving? We should be able to fully feed every single human being on the planet but worries about compensation and "whos gonna pay for it" cripple our efforts.

I fully support them sending food to their malnourished families even if I have to pay a few extra dollars in taxes.

The real crime is not these immigrants sending food to their homelands, it's that we in the modern nations waste so much food. We throw away what others kill each other over and it sickens me. We place laws that force growers to destroy perfectly edible crops because of market manipulations.

Don't like America? Visit a dirt poor country and you'll change your angry little tune.

NO! The real crime is claiming to need the food then sending it abroad....its people receiving/benefiting from our meager beggings.....The programs are funded by american tax dollars.

They are not american....and it it not right.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
While I see your point that it's fraud, I have to see the other side as well.

People in Haiti are much more in need in many cases. I have to say that if I were in their shoes and found a way to feed my family like this I would do it.

A decision to feed family is a no-brainer.

Peace

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

People in Haiti are much more in need in many cases. I have to say that if I were in their shoes and found a way to feed my family like this I would do it.

Peace

Wow Jude! Most of the time I never agree with your posts...but this time I have to give you a star.

Well said!
and If I had family in Haiti and all those developing Caribbean countries I would definitely help them any way I could.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well said.

No second line.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

If all of their country is so starving, they should form grower coop and share what they grow evenly around their nation. Seeds are basically free for the picking....unless food dosent grow in Jamaica?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

So are you telling me you would commit fraud theft and a number of other charges? Yes feed your family by all means.....but dont come thousands of miles to sponge off another country.....have you seen the cost of milk or beef here? Cows are cheap and self sustaining....so are veggies and such.

Why does it make sense too rob peter to pay paul?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Peace

Yeah it is a no brainer as in my family comes first.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Once it is their money, it's none of your business. If they choose to eat less so they can send their family that barely eats at all, food... it's none of your business.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Jamaica is a poor country because it was founded on the backs of slaves. Not to mention the tourism industry preventing any sort of real paths to self-sufficiency.

Seeds that will actually grow usable food are not free. Monsanto has seen to that.

And when you're already starving to death it's a little difficult to start a farming co-op.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Once it is their money, it's none of your business.

If the information is correct, then we shouldn't be giving them the money to start with.
They are abusing a system that is in place to help Americans.
It's our tax money.
Since this system isn't helping Americans, then our tax money shouldn't be going to them.
It's fraud and theft ....

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

It is my business....its ILLEGAL.......I dont pay for immigrants to eat....let alone send it to other countries!....especially when i can hardly afford food myself.

How does that make any sence? Man people are lazy now days....sponge sponge sponge.

No wonder this country is bleeding out....there are charities to feed these people...UNICEF ring a bell?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Its their country....they invite tourism or allow it...its not my fault and i shouldn't have to pay for it.

AGAIN there are charities....and there are a lot of other things they could be doing.

Sounds to me you advocate handouts rather than teaching them to fish..........fishing aye..what about fish?

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I disagree...

I'm not against supporting those in need but the tax dollars are already in the system. Mismanagement, greed and corruption are eating up all the potential good those dollars could be used for already. I'm about taxed to death as it is now.

I agree....

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

It is not illegal for people to send food to other countries. It is not theft as they are doing with their property what they choose. You do not own their food just because they bought it with food stamps, they do.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Then donate to charities of your choice.....hell hand deliver YOUR $$$ to the poor....dont volunteer every one else hard earned $$$

And quit advocating theft and fraud....ITS WHATS WRONG with the entire country!

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

It is not illegal for people to send food to other countries. It is not theft as they are doing with their property what they choose. You do not own their food just because they bought it with food stamps, they do.

UMM have you signed up for food stamps? HERE in NY it is illegal to even give away your food stamps let alone sell and trade....You sign papers and all telling you this.

When you sign up its for the people on the CASE ONLY....you clearly do not know about the FS system.

American tax dollars to support the NEEDY AMERICAN family's.....not the entire world.
edit on 21-7-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Are they sending them the cards? No. Are they trading food for cash? No. They are buying food and sending some food to their families.
edit on 21-7-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join