It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY food stamp recipients are shipping welfare-funded groceries to relatives in Jamaica, Dominican Re

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Yeah alright for some asinine reason some people think it is government's job to pay for their existence that has lead to this point:

online.wsj.com...

blog.heritage.org...

www.usdebtclock.org...

And the vilification continues and the best solution to welfare in the first place A JOB.

Not gonna have a job or get paid that 'living wage hydrochloro bullhockey' when demagoguery becomes law that kills jobs and wealth creation.

Sigh.
edit on 22-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by neo96

And the state is loaded down with morals....right?????

You are on the wrong team dude.

Hardly don't need government to feed me,cloth me,'educate me' and whisper sweet nothings in my ear telling me how 'special' I am.

Wanna know why they tell people not to feed the animals in zoos?

BECAUSE IT CREATES DEPENDENCY and animals can never return to it's natural habitat.
edit on 22-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

We live in a society that is supported by all of us. We do have an educational system that is funded by the "society", that is until they privatize that as well as everything else. Don't you see that they are picking the bones right now? Everything has been stolen. Now they are going after the last remnants of this society.

Take for instance, Detroit. The want to claim bankruptcy so that they can raid the coffers of the pensions funds. Do you get that?? They want to steal that money from the people it rightfully belongs to.

There are vultures swarming at the carcass that was once this great country.

Yet there are those that continue to get sucked into this bs about how it is the common person that has caused all of this. It makes me sick that you could be so blind. It makes me sick that you would allow them to use you to further their cause.
edit on 22-7-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Some of you people are crying about your money being taken to feed people in other countries when your government takes trillions to spend on blowing other countries to pieces, killing 100,000's of people, then rebuilding. I'm still trying to figure out where you guys left your brains before entering the conversation, especially the OP. Look at the bigger picture and what's hurting your country more, a flawed benefit system or a flawed political system and government.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
What I want to know is how all of you opposed to the poor sending food to their poorer foreign relatives would react if an American in say, Minnesota sent SNAP-purchased food to a relative in Arkansas. This is actually something I've dealt with personally, although the food was not shipped, but brought over. By my Depression-era survivor grandmother. Her POV is that since they went extremely hungry when she was a child, she MUST hoard food to avoid ever being that hungry again. She's been like this her entire life. When the amount is more than she can store or eat before spoilage, she MUST give it to someone else, food must NEVER go to waste, and no person should ever go hungry if there is food to give away. Therefore, despite having SNAP benefits ourselves, she continues to bring us her surplus purchases every few months. She gets around our refusals some times by simply leaving them on the porch when no one is home.
I'm honestly befuddled as to how she amasses so much extra, unless she's eating far less than she admits to.

So in short, I find taxpayer funded food going out of country both legally wrong, and morally understandable. I believe the SNAP funds are to help only the household that has it not starve to death or develop malnourishment issues. But...I've been eat-just-once-a-week hungry as a homeless person in my teens, and believe no one deserves that no matter where they live. If someone wants to reduce how much they have to eat to help another, I think that's admirable. Compassion & hunger are powerful driving forces in decisions.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

You are right sir. That is another issue, the money that has been spent blowing countries up or causing destabilization. It seems that people aren't aware of our machinations in South and Central America for the last 50 years. And the tax dollars that have went to protect American companies while they raped the lands of those indigenous people. They don't get that our military protects American companies in far off lands. And if it is not American personnel, it is mercenaries that have been hired. Or corrupt governments that have been bought off. While millions starve and are oppressed, or kidnapped, tortured, and murdered. These are our tax dollars at work.
edit on 22-7-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Bless your heart. Some people don't know what it is like to be hungry. I don't so, I can only empathize. What kills me is that people would allow themselves to be manipulated to be angry at the poor for the state of this union?? I could even say some cuss words but I wont.

They are victims of propaganda. You can't wake them up. It is a journey they must take on their own.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Wealth creation?? Are you freakin serious. Back up your rhetoric. How to you propose that people start creating wealth. Enlighten me, oh wise one. And quit linking to the Wall St Journal. You know who owns that rag, right???

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
i think its kinda cool that people who are poor in other nations are benefiting from our welfare system. would be nice if all our poor could benefit as well, instead of only some of our poor, but at least it's better than nothing.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
don't get me wrong, i'm not a proponent of globalization. i am, however, interested in raising the quality of life of nations who are suffering with poverty on a massive scale.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

That's not the topic of talk here, not that we don't care / or it's a non-issue. It's not the subject being discussed in this discussion, find that one and talk there.

reply to post by Nyiah

If they both live here, they should both qualify for aid if they need it to the extent of transporting it across state lines. If they don't because of location, and cannot make their location suffice, they should move.

What I really don't get is ancient societies knew how to all work as a collective, to keep 1 person alive you need 1 person. When that ratio starts falling you have humans unwilling to self-suffice, but expect to live. Others will HAVE to contribute to that, think about how you feel when your TOLD to do something you don't like/agree with to help someone you don't care to.

Again, I am a very compassionate person, but I will always look for the root of any problem. In these countries there is massive problems of overpopulation....hmm. Go out and be productive 1st, and if you can't make it, then ask for help. Too many are flat out unwilling to even try

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by KnowledgeSeeker81

So what again is the root of the problem??

People that are not willing to try???

Is that it?? Or are you completely ignorant to the millions of manufacturing jobs that have bled out of this country over the last 30 years. Or how about the people with MBAs working at McDonalds.

No sir, you are oblivious to the plight of the people that are not responsible for the downfall of this country.

I can't help you. But you need to make yourself right. Don't be used for the furtherance of their deception. If you do, then you are an enemy of your fellow man.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnowledgeSeeker81

That's not the topic of talk here, not that we don't care / or it's a non-issue. It's not the subject being discussed in this discussion, find that one and talk there.

reply to post by Nyiah

If they both live here, they should both qualify for aid if they need it to the extent of transporting it across state lines. If they don't because of location, and cannot make their location suffice, they should move.

What I really don't get is ancient societies knew how to all work as a collective, to keep 1 person alive you need 1 person. When that ratio starts falling you have humans unwilling to self-suffice, but expect to live. Others will HAVE to contribute to that, think about how you feel when your TOLD to do something you don't like/agree with to help someone you don't care to.

Again, I am a very compassionate person, but I will always look for the root of any problem. In these countries there is massive problems of overpopulation....hmm. Go out and be productive 1st, and if you can't make it, then ask for help. Too many are flat out unwilling to even try

It's also not your OP so please don't take on the roll.

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

What are these morals you speak of??

Are they the same morals that this country uses to bomb the crap out of innocent civilians?

Are these the same morals that we use when we covet the poppy crop in Afghanistan to fund black-ops and prop up our TBTF banks.

Are these the same morals we use to destabilize states in African and allow unspeakable atrocities to their indigenous populations so the West could steal their natural resources.

Are these the morals you speak of??

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Actually quite to the contrary I am one that can speak volumes on this. Currently I am starting my own business, as a direct competitor to a nation-wide large company. I'm doing this on a fast-food managers salary. I'm taking business from this large company, soon I will start employing people myself. Why? Because I am giving everything to this.

I also have been near homeless, and myself applied for government benefits years ago. I got approved the same week I got a job, yea a fast-food mcdonalds type job. I bought myself one weeks worth of groceries, called the welfare department and told them I'm employed now and don't need help. I stuck with my crappy job and was the best and most motivated employee I could be. My crappy fast-food job promoted me.

Now years later through hard work and dedication I am becoming my own boss. The entire time I was struggling, I was paying for others struggling who didn't try. I had/have the determination to SURVIVE in general, and the yearn to always pursue greater things. It's not my fault nor burden to support those not willing to try.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Your not a mod so don't take on the roll, peace

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by KnowledgeSeeker81

Oh you think you are so great and masterful because you overcame a low spot in your life?? Are you kidding me.

Look I was a single mother who raised two sons. I worked my butt off, they never wanted for a thing. I never went on public assistance. Children are the greatest motivator of all.

We live in a civilized society. Collectively we finance our roads, our schools, our police, fire, and emergency personnel, our infrastructure. We also help the poor and the infirm.

What was it that your book you all profess to follow says about the poor:

Deut. 15:7. If there is a poor man among you, one of your brothers, in any of the towns of the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand to your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks.
Deut. 26:12. When you have finished paying the complete tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan and the widow, that they may eat in your towns, and be satisfied.

Lev. 19:19ff. Now when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field, neither shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. I am the LORD your God.

Prov. 31:8ff. [Commandment to kings.] Open your mouth for the dumb, for the rights of all the unfortunate. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and defend the rights of the afflicted and needy.

Is. 58:66ff. Is this not the fast which I choose, to loosen the bonds of wickedness, to undo the bands of the yoke, and to let the oppressed go free, and break every yoke? Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into the house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?

Jer. 22:3. Do justice and righteousness, and deliver the one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor. Also do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place.

Luke 12:33. "Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves purses which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near, nor moth destroys."

Luke 3:11. And [John the Baptist] would answer and say to them, "Let the man with two tunics share with him who has none, and let him who has food do likewise."

Yeah, that's what I said.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnowledgeSeeker81
reply to post by jude11

Your not a mod so don't take on the roll, peace

Ok Junior.

Ditto..

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
So what. Since when is feeding a starving person a bad thing. Dont tell me about how many people here need it or its stealing from americans. If my family was starving and I could help I will. I know I will hear it but idc. It shouldn't be starving people anywhere. Its crazy that people have the nerve to complain about it.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
So many here are debating the legal but not the moral.

If anyone here can honestly say that they would not choose to feed their family because they deem it "illegal", please speak out and not hide behind County, State, Federal laws.

If you want to state that you disagree with feeding those less fortunate, just say so.

The US has openly initiated laws that will starve you out of existence and yet you would deny others in the same situation?

I'm hearing "My Taxes pay for this"...but never hear the same when your "Taxes" kill women and children in foreign lands.

But now you scream about a box of macaroni?

America...Pick our battles but pick them wisely please.

Shame.

Peace

edit on 22-7-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join