It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't buy this "theory" of gravity.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

You have no idea how many times I've said that myself. Evolution is just a theory? So is gravity, there's a 15 story building, have at it.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

They don't really know for sure what causes gravity. They do know how to measure it and have theories and hypothesis that they have made, but these theories do not explain everything, having parameters that exclude certain things that don't fit their theory.

Ahh no. sorry, science doesn't exclude things that don't fit the theory, they revise the theory to fit the findings, that's what we refer to as:

The scientific method.

But you kind of illustrate my point, which i think only 1 or two people actually got. Just because we can't say what mechanism allows gravity to function, doesn't mean gravity doesn't exist.

It does, we have all the proof around us, and it's still one of the universes mysteries. But, thanks to scientists who refused to settle for "god did it" we now have found the higgs boson (99.9% sure) which completes the quantum theory set of fundamental particles, and the higgs is what gives objects mass, the resistance offered as matter passes through the higgs field is what we perceive to be mass. Mass and gravity are clearly directly linked, so we're getting extremely close to being able to say "This is how gravity functions"
edit on 18-7-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

You know what else is a total crock? Food. Yeah, food, man. All you need is sunshine. Just like plants. You just have to open your mind and allow yourself to photosynthesize, man.
Live on sun light

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Mostly perservation of certain species (New world monkeys) and some behavioural research in individual and semi capive animals as well as veterinarian medecine (much work in the domain of certain animals born in captivity and group housed) as much fighting due to hierarchical issues between dominant males.

Due to health issues i had to make a very sharp career change.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 18-7-2013 by Rodinus because: Ewwwe, crap spelling again!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Funny satire, but do you have an explanation for gravity? How about electromagnetism or any of the other forces? Surely your science gods have figured out where these forces come from, so enlighten us with your secret information please.

While you're at it, show us just one documented case of a species turning into another species. If Darwinism is correct, shouldn't this be happening all the time? Where's the proof?

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Well, if there is a spot in our knowledge that is still in need of information, there is no doubt that something that is outside of our knowledge is the source.

Take lightening, for instance. We still aren't sure how it works in fine detail. That's why I still believe in Zeus.
edit on 18-7-2013 by Philodemus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Funny satire, but do you have an explanation for gravity?

Umm yeah, i do, and i posted it here at least once, and possibly twice in the darwinism thread. I feel no need to regurgitate it again, you are more than capable of reading it yourself.

While you are at it:

7 animals evolving right before our eyes

I choose cracked as I feel it will be condescending enough to get my feelings across without much effort.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

That's not a rant. That's a right-wing anti-science tea party wackaloon theme song. Gravitons are posited because every other force is mediated by a particle called a boson. It's not much of a stretch to say that since the photon is the mediator or force carrier of the electromagnetic force, the W and Z bosons are mediators of the weak force and gluons are mediators of the strong nuclear force, that there is a boson mediating the gravitational force, and that elementary guage boson is called, at least for now, a graviton. New experimentation suggest that the Higgs particle may be the "gravitron." And, by the way, the earth is constantly falling toward the sun. It's just that the forward speed is such that a fairly constant distance is maintained. And remember, as you move forward in space, the surface of the orbited body, if it is spherical, is falling away from you. So the earth takes two steps forward and falls one step down, while the surface of the sun takes one step down. To be perfectly technical though, orbital altitude is measured from the center of the two masses. Further refinement of the existence of the gravitron is expected from the LIGO and VIRGO experiments measuring gravity waves, and particularly the speed of those waves. But integer-spin particles (bosons) and half-spin particles (fermions) exist. Otherwise you wouldn't be reading this on a computer.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

Not sure why you replied to him....

I would suggest you read more than the OP, I guess I did need to place "/end sarcasm" in there.

That's not a rant. That's a right-wing anti-science tea party wackaloon theme song.

Ok, maybe you did get that it was 1000% sarcastic. That was the entire point of the rant. i'm well versed in the Newtonian physics at work on the planets, and getting close to the tip of the iceberg of knowledge about quantum mechanics.

This "rant" was in direct response to a complete and utter waste of a thread titled "Darwinism, what a joke" this was my attempt to come off in a similar manner and tone of the OP of that thread.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

He did a good job of parroting the nonsense in the Darwin post. But it read much like the spewing of Michelle Bachman and her ilk that it sounded like a serious Creation Museum release. I guess that's a mark of effective sarcasm. You can imagine my frustration as a physics professor in hearing the same thing from little Betty Sue with her pentacostal perm from Thousandsticks, KY (There is such a place.) when I try to teach a section on introductory quantum theory.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Evolution doesn't say we came from monkeys. It says monkeys and us had a common ancestor. You are either being ignorant or purposely trying to deceive people.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75
Funny satire, but do you have an explanation for gravity? How about electromagnetism or any of the other forces? Surely your science gods have figured out where these forces come from, so enlighten us with your secret information please.

While you're at it, show us just one documented case of a species turning into another species. If Darwinism is correct, shouldn't this be happening all the time? Where's the proof?

There are plenty of documented cases:
Nautiloidea -->Bactritida-->Ammonoidea
Pohlsepia-->Proteroctopus-->Vampironassa-->Paleooctopus
or
Rhyniognatha-->Rhyniella-->Archimylacris-->Aphthoroblattina-->Archaeolepis through several more transitional forms to Eophyllium.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm with you OP.

Scientists are always coming up with these "so called" theories when they don't even have a clue.

I saw one scientists on Youtube talking about the "theory" of something or other...standing up
there like he was all smart in his nerd glasses and his turtle-neck sweater....and for the life of me
I couldn't even pay attention to what he was saying...

...I mean, does he EVEN KNOW how many turtles it takes just make that ONE DAMN SWEATER!!

....gravity-schmavity

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Sorry bro, gravity most certainly does exist, and so does (He)lium...

Helium, undoubtedly, 100%, definitely 'exists.' You've got yourself a flat-out incorrect assumption, bro... sorry. Helium floats/rises in air because it has a lower density than air... it is a 'lighter' atom. Just because it's normally 'invisible,' has no bearing whatsoever on its physical existence. It's effects are seen in the exact example you stated... a balloon filled with Helium, rising.

An empty plastic bottle exists and water exists (agreed?)
The bottle, and it's 'empty' contents, have a lower density than the water surrounding it... it is 'lighter'
The bottle floats in water, until it reaches the top.
The bottle is not lighter than air.
The bottle does not float in the air.

Apply this physical principle to (air vs. helium), and I'm confident you'll figure out how that works.

As for gravity... If you want to ignore a testable, repeatable, and universally applicable force (and one that we experience every day), I hopefully assume you were speaking figuratively. For, which in that case, you can argue that most everything surely 'doesn't really exist.' Even the word 'gravity' only 'exists' because we, humans, have assigned its value in such a way. Hell... the empty plastic bottle, in my example above, 'doesn't exist.'

We may not know how absolutely everything in our physical space operates yet, but certain forces, and their effects are absolutely 'real.' Maybe.... our current theory about gravity is off the mark, but my ass still hurts after I fall off a chair. I know the day will come (if we don't blow ourselves up beforehand lol), when we'll have a more complete and intricate understanding of how our world works. But until then, take an intro Physics class at a community college; it'll definitely change your mind about the 'existence' of gravity.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
reply to post by boymonkey74

Evolution doesn't say we came from monkeys. It says monkeys and us had a common ancestor. You are either being ignorant or purposely trying to deceive people.

Sarcasm just like the OP.
If people starred me for agreeing...the joke is on you.
edit on 18-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

OK, so you won't buy gravity (puts away catalog of black holes).

But before you go, we have a great deal on the "Standard Model". It's going for about $10 billion euro's, but it includes a parcel of land that sits astride the Swiss & Italian border. Location, location, as they say...

It's a steal at that price, sir, you'd feel like a real boson if you let this one pass by!

edit on 18/7/2013 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Oh dear, oh dearie dearie me *lol*

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Wow. The gravity theory has been eating at my mind for over year.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Those forces are a result of strings attached to jeebus' chariot

Troll->Goblin->Leprechaun. It's all in my special book...

edit on 18/7/2013 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join