It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 68
<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I suppose that was a Shrek 4 reference...amusing. I did enjoy that movie though.

Anger, fear, and grief tend to release a particular chemical in the human brain that inhibits cognitive function. In essence, we think less effectively when we're angry or afraid. So I try to cut down on that sort of stuff when it comes to these subjects. Maybe that's why anger and fear are such a big part of religion! We think less and jump to greater assumptions based on what we have to lose or gain! Wow, thanks for helping me make that connection guys!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

A serious anger problem? You don't even know me, pal. I'm an autonomous string of characters on a web page.

Of course I don’t know you, but I’m basing it on ALL of your previous interactions, with myself, and a few other posters on this thread.

You just attacked me 3 times, in an unfounded manner. And then when I pointed out, you have an anger issue, you then accuse me throwing a Jab at you, when you’d already thrown 3 unfounded jabs, in my direction.

Little jabs like that. That's why I get a little upset at times. Because little snide comments that you push through the crack in the door, those comments give me the impression that you are not at all regretful or reluctant of your little barbs and in fact view them as a kind of sport.

It's immature and disdainful.

“You get a little upset” lol

“Push through the crack in the door” lol

You don’t seem too regretful, about your own unfounded jabs towards me, which YOU started…So I’m the one who should be angry and upset…not you lol

And the reason I’m not regretful, is because it’s based on the evidence in your posts.

Anyway, would like to hear what I think of your OP…?

- JC

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Shall I fetch your angry trousers sir?

He only gets angry when he has them on

LOL

Yeah, but he wears them ALL the time…

- JC

edit on 25-6-2013 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

AfterInfinity
Well, apparently they weren't too stimulating and informative because one of them just went POOF! Maybe now would be a good time for you to start making sense and posting relevant material. Your little derailment and distraction act is getting tiresome. This isn't about me. This is about the conversion from Catholicism to atheism and whether or not it could be considered a valid transition, a well-advised one, a productive move, whatever. What's the pros and cons to this kind of switch? No more ad hominem, boys. This is adult time now. Handle the discussion maturely and intelligently.

This isnt about you and your bandwagoning? You just stated to JoeCroft pg 67 "A.Cooperism" is technology challenged, and hinted medically/psychologically as well? What exists a better victim to have chosen for your 'revival broadcasts ONE ON ONE personal style of bombast'. Good for you taking away any hope at all for this person (IF HE EXISTS and taught your dog to yipe/type). Adult time, yes. This just gets better and better. I can see it now all of the non-techs and mentally unstable people under the evangeliventriliquists tent. To hear about "THE WORD"--- "THERE IS NO GOOD NEWS HERE" but you will leave this meeting feeling enlightenned and refreshed, JOYFULL actually!!!
edit on 25-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Shall I fetch your angry trousers sir?

He only gets angry when he has them on
LOL

Yeah, but he wears them ALL the time…

I would like to hear your opinion on the OP Joe, as I know you and respect you; whether AfterInfinity does or does not.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

This isnt about you and your bandwagoning? You just stated to JoeCroft pg 67 "A.Cooperism" is technology challenged, and hinted medically/psychologically as well?

I said medically, not psychologically.

What exists a better victim to have chosen for your 'revival broadcasts ONE ON ONE personal style of bombast'.

You make it sound like I'm at war. That's not even close to the truth, as I have explained quite thoroughly. It seems to me that you are deliberately ignoring me in favor of your own...misunderstanding.

Good for you taking away any hope at all for this person (IF HE EXISTS and taught your dog to yipe/type).

Now you're just talking nonsense. Had he chosen to remain Catholic, or chosen almost any modern god at all, he would have been automatically condemned for his nature. He would have been caught between who is he and who he thinks he should be, and he would have lived the remainder of his life in confusion and despair. What hope is there in such a position?

He has all the hope he needs and wants right inside of his heart. He doesn't need a god to feel good about himself, nor does he need a god to determine the meaning he finds in life. Had he chosen to recognize a god, I would have respected that freedom. But he has chosen a different path, one that offers more flexibility and more creative liberties.

Adult time, yes. This just gets better and better. I can see it now all of the non-techs and mentally unstable people under the evangeliventriliquists tent.

Do you have any cause whatsoever for leveling such allegations at me? These accusations are highly unnecessary and unfounded. I know for a fact that this is nothing but garbage you're throwing at me.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

Of course I don’t know you, but I’m basing it on ALL of your previous interactions, with myself, and a few other posters on this thread.

You just attacked me 3 times, in an unfounded manner. And then when I pointed out, you have an anger issue, you then accuse me throwing a Jab at you, when you’d already thrown 3 unfounded jabs, in my direction.

I didn't attack you. I utilized a little gift I have known as "sarcasm"...perhaps I should LABEL my posts with emotions whenever I type in anything but a monotone.

“You get a little upset” lol

“Push through the crack in the door” lol

You don’t seem too regretful, about your own unfounded jabs towards me, which YOU started…So I’m the one who should be angry and upset…not you lol

And the reason I’m not regretful, is because it’s based on the evidence in your posts.

Anyway, would like to hear what I think of your OP…?

I can't stop you, and surely you're here to discuss the actual topic, right? The OP would be an excellent place to start.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena

You wound me.

This is page 65. I reviewed some of your back and forth with vethumanbeing, up to page 24.

Somebody should have started an off-topic appendage to this thread with pros and cons of atheism or something of the sort. I think I'll go look at wildtimes thread about ATS religious experiences.

Not sure splitting the dialoge (or containment of) into pros and cons of atheism (another thread) would work, it would wind up being very clinical or turn into a bloodfest, most of those posts removed probably; but then again...it could turn out to be an even longer thread, and easier to manage, as in "staying on topic", which takes all of the fun out of it (for me).

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

It will only turn into a bloodfest if you don't have the maturity to handle such discussion.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Now you're just talking nonsense. Had he chosen to remain Catholic, or chosen almost any modern god at all, he would have been automatically condemned for his nature. He would have been caught between who is he and who he thinks he should be, and he would have lived the remainder of his life in confusion and despair. What hope is there in such a position?He has all the hope he needs and wants right inside of his heart. He doesn't need a god to feel good about himself, nor does he need a god to determine the meaning he finds in life. Had he chosen to recognize a god, I would have respected that freedom. But he has chosen a different path, one that offers more flexibility and more creative liberties.

You have no experience with any formal training; no deep understanding of the theological, history or in practice (yes you never attended Loyola, or the Moody Institute, or were an alterboy; customs of the RCC). What in the world makes you think you are qualified to actually change anothers faith? Something is so wrong here, you a freind of his for indeterment months can do this to another person with such convincing? Have you had any kind of professional schooling counsuling experience, are you a PHD in psychotherapy, or at least have an Associates equivilent? You can get to a persons heart? He needs you before he needs a God Concept. That is not another Mans Job to determine anothers fate. Someone said a page or 2 ago, that you determine your the place you reside after dropping this body (Colbe?). That is a certainty, whether it be 70 virgins or NOTHINGNESS you will have that desired outcome (its all on you).

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

It will only turn into a bloodfest if you don't have the maturity to handle such discussion.

Maturity, I wouldnt have the patience and they are mutually exclusive.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Not sure splitting the dialoge (or containment of) into pros and cons of atheism (another thread) would work,

Just looking over the conversation between the AI and JC, it seems to me that if someone has questions about AfterInfinity's personal beliefs, a good starting point would be some of his other threads where he discusses his beliefs.

To me, the thread topic is this, from the OP

An informed decision is what I want them to have. If they decide to be atheist, good on them. If they decide to stick to religion, good on them still. So this development gives me mixed feelings: while I am certain I have not damned my friend in converting him, I also am responsible for any loss of meaning or direction he may discover as a result. So now I'm a little concerned about what the future may hold for the emotional stability of my friend.

It isn't about AfterInfinity's beliefs or the thread participants' reactions to his beliefs. Yet that's what people have been trying to make it into.

Here is a link to AfterInfinity's threads Threads Some of these titles look quite interesting. If I remember correctly, I participated in more than one of them.

Now that I look at those threads, I see that you have participated too.

edit on 25-6-2013 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

You have no experience with any formal training; no deep understanding of the theological, history or in practice (yes you never attended Loyola, or the Moody Institute, or were an alterboy; customs of the RCC). What in the world makes you think you are qualified to actually change anothers faith? Something is so wrong here, you a freind of his for indeterment months can do this to another person with such convincing? Have you had any kind of professional schooling counsuling experience, are you a PHD in psychotherapy, or at least have an Associates equivilent? You can get to a persons heart? He needs you before he needs a God Concept. That is not another Mans Job to determine anothers fate. Someone said a page or 2 ago, that you determine your the place you reside after dropping this body (Colbe?). That is a certainty, whether it be 70 virgins or NOTHINGNESS you will have that desired outcome (its all on you).

I'm sure if you don't need it, I don't either. And if I do need it...please, post the evidence proving that a deity is necessary - absolutely necessary, mind you - for a healthy and productive lifestyle. I expect a plethora of conclusive articles and examinations from professional and unbiased sources. Like I said before:

I never promised the answer. I only promised my answer as shared with my friend.
edit on 25-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Ah. Gotcha. Well, to put it simply: there's millions of people who believe in a deity. What this deity wants, they want, because they're so in love with this deity. What they want, affects how they understand, approach, and interact with reality in general. So the nature of this deity, whether it exists or not, still influences the people who believe in it.

I'm not assigning blame. I'm making observations.

From where I sit, it looks like you're trying to use "God" as the "Satan" of "Atheism". I don't quite "getcha", but that's okay... I'll get over it...

Thank you for your sincerity.
plus a star

See ya,
Milt
edit on 25-6-2013 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

If you find any excerpts from those threads that reflect upon my various sentiments in this thread, please feel free to quote them.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

vethumanbeing You have no experience with any formal training; no deep understanding of the theological, history or in practice (yes you never attended Loyola, or the Moody Institute, or were an alterboy; customs of the RCC). What in the world makes you think you are qualified to actually change anothers faith? Something is so wrong here, you a freind of his for indeterment months can do this to another person with such convincing? Have you had any kind of professional schooling counsuling experience, are you a PHD in psychotherapy, or at least have an Associates equivilent? You can get to a persons heart? He needs you before he needs a God Concept. That is not another Mans Job to determine anothers fate. Someone said a page or 2 ago, that you determine your the place you reside after dropping this body (Colbe?). That is a certainty, whether it be 70 virgins or NOTHINGNESS you will have that desired outcome (its all on you).

AfterInfinity[/]
I'm sure if you don't need it, I don't either. And if I do need it...please, post the evidence proving that a deity is necessary - absolutely necessary, mind you - for a healthy and productive lifestyle. I expect a plethora of conclusive articles and examinations from professional and unbiased sources. Like I said before:
I never promised the answer. I only promised my answer as shared with my friend.

I have NEVER EVER said that one should believe in a GodForm so I dont have to defend the necessity of it (OH YOU HAVE NOT BEEN READING MY POSTS) nor would I preach to its authenticity. YOU on the otherhand do this, Convert another to the authenticity of a NON NO GO GOD? What gives you the right? Why would you do such a thing unless the truth is obvious, you have a problem with anger and abandonment issues. I have never met a lay person such as you that without resources or STUDY retains such an Egomaniacal stance, personal gain ego satisfaction, self stroking. I would/could reference a ANOTHER RCC Gay Man with no technical skills that is handicapped being converted to Atheism in just a matter of a few hours, but I just looked and you are the only one (surprise). Where did you learn the art of prophetizing?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

From where I sit, it looks you're trying to use "God" as the "Satan" of "Atheism". I don't quite "getcha", but that's okay... I'll get over it.

Labels are irrelevant. I find the doctrine of most major religions to be limiting in ways that sacrifice progress for security. We are afraid of what we might find if we step outside of the box, so we come up with ever more inventive ways to sustain an enclosed existence. We are repulsed by what we see in ourselves, so we come up with ever more imaginative excuses to ignore our more contemptible features. Our understanding cripples itself in a bid to deny that which it has the lack of comprehension to understand.

There is no "Satan". There is no "God". There is us, and our understanding, and our approach thereof. If we do not accept us, we hinder our understanding, and we limit our approach. Our imagination is only as good as what we are open to, and our fears and hatred tend to limit us quite a bit. I've explained how we take a dualistic stance on reality, and how humankind, in dualism, tends to cling to one extreme, never realizing that in doing so, we sacrifice evolution. We sacrifice discovery, growth, and development. We start drinking from a stagnant pool with no fresh stream to feed it.

When we begin to recognize and respect the power within as well as without, when we begin to establish our independence as a capable and intelligent species, we begin to introduce a dualistic spectrum that allows us to stabilize between the cosmos and ourselves. When we realize there is just as much inside of us as there is in the universe, we begin to take from both ourselves and the cosmos. We take strength from within and without. It's something of a cosmological humanism deal. We stop clinging to one extreme, and learn to work with both in tandem. We establish an equilibrium, a responsibility for ourselves and for the world. We accept that we possess just as much power and responsibility as any deity we choose to believe in, and that the end of the book is determined by the plot that we help to write. But most importantly, there's a hundred ways to the top of the mountain. Just praying to the mountain won't take you to the top though. You have to make that climb, you have to choose the paths, and you have to make the decision of what you take with you and what you leave behind when you hit the bumps in the trail.

We are not helpless. We have brains, and hearts, and bodies. It would be a shame if we wasted our greatest gift of all - the ability to create meaning within ourselves. We are strong. We are independent. We don't need anyone to make a meaning for us. We can do it ourselves, and we should.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I have NEVER EVER said that one should believe in a GodForm, nor would I preach to its authenticity.

If you don't have a better answer, then why are you making such a fuss over mine?

YOU on the otherhand do this, Convert another to the authenticity of a NON NO GO GOD? What gives you the right?

What gives you the right to tell me I'm wrong?

Why would you do such a thing unless the truth is obvious, you have a problem with anger and abandonment issues.

Whatever you want to tell yourself. It's obvious you don't care to listen unless I'm telling you exactly what you want to hear.

I have never met a lay person such as you that without resources or STUDY retains such an Egomaniacal stance, personal gain ego satisfaction, self stroking.

Ad hominem much?

I would/could reference a ANOTHER RCC Gay Man with no technical skills that is handicapped being converted to Atheism in just a matter of a few hours, but I just looked and you are the only one (surprised)?.

1) It took quite a bit more than a few hours.

2) He is not handicapped. You jumped to that assumption. Try reading next time.

3) He was on the edge for a while, he just didn't want to let go of the past until he had a decent future to grab onto.
edit on 25-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

You should have opened the play dates to a third party. One that was of the opposite belief system. That would have been fair. Are you preaching to him on a regular basis now (support system of some kind), or have you abandoned him, or set up some kind of "circular round discussion group setting" in your front parlor? EVERYONES INVITED! ITS FUN, Topics include: "THE SELF DESTRUCTION OF THE SOUL" (implemented by others), "NO HOPE", oh and this one "YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW FREE YOU WILL BE AFTER RENOUNCING YOUR CREATOR" (why? because I said so, I have proof there is no God that will be my next thread).

new topics

top topics

<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join