It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 67
<< 64  65  66    68  69  70 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

slavish service to cultish doctrines is more counterproductive than otherwise, probably contributing to more later cynicism by people who had witnessed the solemnity to how those things had been treated.

It was obvious to the scholars that the leadership was completely cynical. Very few scholars allowed themselves to mention these things, to keep their jobs? Little if not zero of what was known filtered down to the church school or congregational level. The "people in the pew" were left in the dark. The people in the pew were left with their superstitious fears (or feeling of superiority, as the case may be).
edit on 25-6-2013 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

Why does he have to have 'been abused' just because he is atheistic? Why do you assume that he has some unconscious fear of your so-called god? He doesn't believe in god, period (at least that is what I assume). To say that atheists are afraid of god is like saying fish are afraid they're going to be abducted by aliens.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

To say that atheists are afraid of god is like saying fish are afraid they're going to be abducted by aliens.
Yes,but to take a fish out of the water is like have been abducted by the aliens for that poor creature.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

Why does he have to have 'been abused' just because he is atheistic? Why do you assume that he has some unconscious fear of your so-called god? He doesn't believe in god, period (at least that is what I assume).
Because this entire thread is like a psychological drama,in the way of his responses.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
I will answer you tomorrow. Sorry I'm on my phone and limited in response depth.

Come on…it’s been 2 days now…

I’m still waiting for you’re response to this post

- JC

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Neither of your responses answer my question. You reply in vague and irrelevant statements and seem not to be able to defend any of your points.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

Come on…it’s been 2 days now…

I’m still waiting for you’re response to this post

Oh yes, my apologies.

I’ve already asked you a few questions. And I’ve asked Mr Cooper, 2 questions, and so far, Zero, Zip, Nada, Neeshco response…

I've already explained that he is medically challenged and technologically troubled. If that's not enough reason to be patient, then I feel sorry for the people you interact with on a regular basis. As it so happens, he is taking his time digesting the contents of the thread, absorbing information rather than spouting posts. Quite an admirable start, if I do say so myself.

“satisfied” lol

“given me so far!” lol

The only thing you’ve given so far, is “vagueness”…

I'm sorry that you're not satisfied with this exchange.

Here’s something else, which doesn’t quite add up…

I asked you this question below in my other post…

Originally posted by Joecroft
Also, I just wanted to ask you how long you have known your friend, (Mr Cooper) and how long had he been a practicing Catholic etc…?

Your Reply

Years. To both questions. He was an altar boy for years, and he studied and actively engaged in Biblical observation for years afterwards. He did indulge in Druidic and general wiccan practices as well, educating himself in both ends of the field.

The word “years” is pretty vague, but usually when people say the word “years”, it tends to denote a time period, of longer than 5 years, at least, tops!

But according to Mr Cooper…

Originally posted by anthonycooper
We have known each other a couple years, and you see this guy really put things in perspective.

…He’s only known you “a couple of years”…

I’ve only known you for a couple of posts, and you do NOT put things into perspective lol

Perhaps there’s a simple and straightforward explanation, to all this…

Can’t wait to hear it…

If you paid any attention in first grade, you would have learned that "year", when used in the PLURAL SENSE, becomes "years". And plural means "two or more".

My "simple and straightforward explanation" is that you want THE answer, and all I have is MY answer. If that's not good enough, then you must look elsewhere. You did not pay a single dime to view this thread or talk to me. I'm weary of being crucified for my lack of magical answers when I don't owe anyone here anything, nor did I promise anyone here anything other than to relate an experience I shared with my friend and explain the mechanics behind it. Nowhere did I say that it would work for anyone other than myself and my friend. It was merely an alternate perspective to consider in your search for your own person truth. If that's not good enough, then perhaps you should spend your hard-earned money on an even less sincere and straightforward exchange that leaves you just as lost as when you started...and about $100 lighter.

Sorry and good day.

edit on 25-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Because this entire thread is like a psychological drama,in the way of his responses.

Let's see you make some good points then...it would make a decent break from every other example you've set in this thread.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

Neither of your responses answer my question. You reply in vague and irrelevant statements and seem not to be able to defend any of your points.
Then read them again.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Well, apparently they weren't too stimulating and informative because one of them just went POOF! Maybe now would be a good time for you to start making sense and posting relevant material. Your little derailment and distraction act is getting tiresome.

This isn't about me. This is about the conversion from Catholicism to atheism and whether or not it could be considered a valid transition, a well-advised one, a productive move, whatever. What's the pros and cons to this kind of switch? No more ad hominem, boys. This is adult time now. Handle the discussion maturely and intelligently.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Why? Are they going to look different the second time around? Are they going to contain actual arguments?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Well, apparently they weren't too stimulating and informative because one of them just went POOF! Maybe now would be a good time for you to start making sense and posting relevant material. Your little derailment and distraction act is getting tiresome.

This isn't about me. This is about the conversion from Catholicism to atheism and whether or not it could be considered a valid transition, a well-advised one, a productive move, whatever. What's the pros and cons to this kind of switch? No more ad hominem, boys. This is adult time now. Handle the discussion maturely and intelligently.

There is no "pro" to rejecting God. You will stand before God for misleading people. Are you nuts? What you so mad at God about AI?

People, how "intelligent" is spending eternity without God?

The nonsense, atheist's personal opinion on the afterlife is what happens.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
joecroft,

I love your signature. I Had to look up the verse www.drbo.org...

John 14:20
“On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I am in you.”

Our Lord was speaking to the Apostles after the Last Supper. He was speaking about Pentecost, God the Holy Spirit, third person of the Blessed Trinity would come down from Heaven.

A Second Pentecost is coming "soon" as Heaven states in the messages. Worldwide this time.

Dear God the Holy Spirit be a greater "comfort", presence to those furthest away on that day. Amen.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I've already explained that he is medically challenged and technologically troubled. If that's not enough reason to be patient, then I feel sorry for the people you interact with on a regular basis.

Sorry, I had no idea that was the case regarding Mr Cooper, but my question was also aimed at yourself. But in which post did you mention he was “medically challenged and technologically troubled” ?

If you did mention it, I must have missed your post, so no reason to go jumping to conclusions, about my patience, or how I interact with other people on a regular basis.

It’s your own interactions, that you need to be more concerned about…

As it so happens, he is taking his time digesting the contents of the thread, absorbing information rather than spouting posts. Quite an admirable start, if I do say so myself.

Fair enough…

Originally posted by Joecroft
“satisfied” lol

“given me so far!” lol

The only thing you’ve given so far, is “vagueness”…

I'm sorry that you're not satisfied with this exchange.

And I’m sorry that you’ve been so vague, in so many of your responses, as has been pointed by more, that just 1 poster.

If you paid any attention in first grade, you would have learned that "year", when used in the PLURAL SENSE, becomes "years". And plural means "two or more".

But based on the rest of the paragraph, you were also stating that he used to be an alter boy etc…so it gave the impression, you had known him for years (as in, a very long time). And seeing as Mr Cooper is 50, then it seemed to fit. But if you’d just said exactly how long, instead of just saying “years” (vagueness as usual), then we wouldn’t have had this further miscommunication.

Anyway, all I was asking for, was some clarification on that issue; so not even sure why your so angry.

I’m starting to think that many other posters on this thread, are right about you.

- JC

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

There is no "pro" to rejecting God. You will stand before God for misleading people. Are you nuts? What you so mad at God about AI?

Excellent! Something I can work with!

The "pro" to rejecting something that doesn't exist is not just one simple thing. It's a bunch of things that tie into, feed off of, and expound upon one another. There's the unlimiting of imagination, there's the responsibility of fate, there's the freedom of happiness, there's the independence of meaning and direction...basically, you leap out of your box of emotional security and factory-model meaning and revel in the risks and payoffs that accompany the adventure of a lifetime. You no longer hide from what you are. You no longer disdain your very nature. You no longer seek to mechanize yourself for fear of the organic drawbacks that just won't go away.

I'm not mad at any deity for anything. I just think that anchoring my life and meaning around such a concept is pointless. I'd much rather craft my own anchor, seek my own meaning, because that makes it so much more...meaningful. The more you borrow, the more you limit your creative freedoms. But if you make it yourself...it's you. It's for you, by you, and it possesses that very specific flavor that appeals to your soul. No god can give you that. Only you can make it for yourself.

People, how "intelligent" is spending eternity without God?

Oh my dear, dear Colbe...we've been over this. I have absolutely no interest in immortality or eternal life. I've already been "dead" for 13 billion years. And I don't even remember it! Instead of fussing over whatever comes after death, I want to enjoy life while I have it. And life is so much more enjoyable when I spend it crafting my own meaning! It gives me something to savor on the way out.

The nonsense, atheist's personal opinion on the afterlife is what happens.

Why thank you! I must be doing something right if people are attacking my inspirations and aspirations.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

- Mahatma Gandhi

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Anyway, all I was asking for, was some clarification on that issue; so not even sure why your so angry.

I’m starting to think that many other posters on this thread, are right about you.

Little jabs like that. That's why I get a little upset at times. Because little snide comments that you push through the crack in the door, those comments give me the impression that you are not at all regretful or reluctant of your little barbs and in fact view them as a kind of sport.

It's immature and disdainful.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Little jabs like that. That's why I get a little upset at times. Because little snide comments that you push through the crack in the door, those comments give me the impression that you are not at all regretful or reluctant of your little barbs and in fact view them as a kind of sport.

It's immature and disdainful.

That little jab, as you call it, was me being honest, about you previous posts…

i.e. these responses below…

I've already explained that he is medically challenged and technologically troubled. If that's not enough reason to be patient, then I feel sorry for the people you interact with on a regular basis.

A Completely unfounded jab of your own…which you started, due to jumping to conclusions…

Again a completely unfounded jab and attack; when all I did was ask you for some clarity.

My "simple and straightforward explanation" is that you want THE answer, and all I have is MY answer. If that's not good enough, then you must look elsewhere. You did not pay a single dime to view this thread or talk to me. I'm weary of being crucified for my lack of magical answers when I don't owe anyone here anything, nor did I promise anyone here anything other than to relate an experience I shared with my friend and explain the mechanics behind it. Nowhere did I say that it would work for anyone other than myself and my friend. It was merely an alternate perspective to consider in your search for your own person truth. If that's not good enough, then perhaps you should spend your hard-earned money on an even less sincere and straightforward exchange that leaves you just as lost as when you started...and about $100 lighter.

And as for this last one above, I’m not even sure where that came from…

So I’ll say it again more clearly…

You have a serious anger problem, and I’m not the only poster who has pointed this out to you, albeit slightly more direct, than others…

Who knows, maybe your just having a bad month…

- JC

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

So I’ll say it again more clearly…

You have a serious anger problem, and I’m not the only poster who has pointed this out to you, albeit slightly more direct, than others…

Who knows, maybe your just having a bad month…

A serious anger problem? You don't even know me, pal. I'm an autonomous string of characters on your magical glow screen.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Shall I fetch your angry trousers sir?

He only gets angry when he has them on

new topics

top topics

<< 64  65  66    68  69  70 >>

join