It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Thanks, I am actually putting in honest effort to understand where other people are coming from. I have been doing this for a long time now, with little to no actual discussion. People just tend to get angry and insulting when I ask questions that may be difficult to answer, but I am rarely asked anything of my own perspective except as a matter of convenience, or frequently, in hopes of setting up some kind of insult.

Welcome to the club, my friend! We are known as "Trolls", here at ATS!
and a star!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

it seems some are more concerned with how I conveyed the information than the actual information itself, as though they care more about my reaction than the actual event itself. I have explained numerous times where I'm coming from and how I feel about it but no one seems to care. My friend has even explain that he has made this choice of his own free will and is very appreciative of it, but again no one cares.

When you say "some," are you referring to me? I am not able to speak for anyone other than myself, so I wouldnt expect me to defend them except perhaps in principle (we are all free to believe as we will).

If you are referring to me, then what pieces of my posts led you to believe that I was more concerned with semantics than the actual topic? I feel it is the exact opposite, but my words may not match my thinking.

If I didnt care, I wouldnt be posting at all. And when you say "no one," then that most certainly includes me. I feel that this is a deeper topic than just a conversion, or a perceived gaining of freedom. And that is how I attempt to address it.

Have you understood the points I have raised, or what I am trying to explore with them? It certainly doesnt seem that wild did, and it doesnt seem that you do either. But, no questions are asked for clarity. Only assumptions.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mysticnoon

Should things go that way, I am more than willing to accept it. I've only ever wanted to help him to be happy.
edit on 20-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysticnoon
A bit late to this party, but I just wished to say that it sounded like your friend took a big step on the path of his own personal self-realization.

Do not be surprised if atheism is not his choice in the long run, but he may always be grateful that you assisted him in breaking through one of the inner barriers which was standing in his way.

Good to see you mystic

I agree. I think the more that we honestly explore all of the possibilities, the more clearly we can start to cleave out the path through the wild. Its a constant process, but the honest exploration of it yields everything from dry deserts to bountiful oasis.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

My daughter is an atheist. After long talks with her, I've sort of concluded that the main element of atheism is the "feeling" that lacking a deity is not any practical lack anyway. So, do you actually feel any different about a hypothetical deity or have you mainly made a conscious decision about such?

Well since I did worship a deity and now I don't ,I feel a weight has been lifted off of me in that I don't feel I am going to hell for being different.

Also, i have noticed that there's a lot of flack concerning AI's treatment of my conversion in this thread. i want it made known that i am in no way offended by his pride. he has good reason to be proud. he has changed a part of my life that i've been bogged down by for decades. we're proud of each other for this change, and we're going to make the most of it.
edit on 20-6-2013 by anthonycooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

No, I have enjoyed our exchange. I just got the impression from the general populace that atheism isn't something to be proud of around these parts.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

To celebrate. His celebration, not mine; I just posted on his behalf. But I guess everyone just wants to scare him back to the same prison he just got out of. Can imagine the praise if he had converted to Christianity...

Thats too convienent. I thought he was a Christian to begin with, and just denighed God aspect. So what is it? You convinced him Jesus of Nazareth never existed as well, nor Zarathustra, nor Anu, nor, Adama, nor RA, nor Siddhartha, Lord Pacal, Kukulcan, Tlaloc, Tonatuih, Chaac, Chac Chel, Chan Behlum, son of Pacal, Coatlicue, Coyolxauhqui, Eecatl, Tenoch? Gave any options other that the ABYSS YELLOW to look into?

Here is a thought; the Athiest leaves ALL HOPE behind. What is left if not hope. Beyond all of this existance mankind has left a mark and for me it is the reason to go on and experience life as a negligable or the negociation you contracted, you are responsible for your final destination wherever that lands you. This is personal and not a group hug.
edit on 20-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Dear AfterInfinity,

Honestly, I'm just confused, not critical. It may be that our minds are working differently, or your using a word which I'm misinterpreting. Let me tell you my thinking, and you can tell me where I'm going wrong.

it seems some are more concerned with how I conveyed the information than the actual information itself,
The information you wanted to convey was that a friend wanted to leave a form of Catholicism for Atheism, and you helped him with the decision. Am I good so far? As far as how you conveyed it, I'm lost. You wrote about it in your OP. I don't know what else you could have done. (I suppose you could have posted it in Member Information, but that's a nit.)

My friend has even explain that he has made this choice of his own free will and is very appreciative of it, but again no one cares.
I don't know about others, but I never supposed you held a gun to his thread. I assumed it was his choice. But because I assumed it was free will, I never cared one way or the other, I took it for granted.

as though they care more about my reaction than the actual event itself.
I assumed that you, being an Atheist, would think your friend made a good move. That, also, I took for granted.

I have explained numerous times where I'm coming from and how I feel about it but no one seems to care.
This is where my confusion is really obvious to me. Up to this point my confusion was the idea that there was anything to be confused about. (If that makes any sense.) But "Where I'm coming from" is still a blank in my head.

There aren't many threads on ATS based on "My friend did a good thing and I'm happy for him." It's quite unusual in fact. So, why post it? You've seen my questions and others who seem to be asking the same thing. I don't really care about anthonycooper's decision. Change of religion happens a lot, and if he's anything like me, he'll have two or more in his lifetime. I think he's made a bad choice, one which I hope he'll change some day, but right now? Meh.

BUT YOU CARE. You care a lot to start this unusual thread. Refer back to my questions if you'd like, but "I'm happy for him," just doesn't fit somehow. Why tell us? I don't care what some guy does as he's exploring religions (or lack thereof). Why should anybody care?

It's probably some simple answer, I just can't see it.

Oh, other people may have entirely different questions. I'm only speaking for me.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

No, I have enjoyed our exchange. I just got the impression from the general populace that atheism isn't something to be proud of around these parts.

If you have enjoyed it, then why not continue it instead of indirectly addressing others whose responses you are not necessarily satisfied with?

To me, it feels like you are quoting my posts, but addressing everyone else. You havent even attempted to approach many of my questions, but given the nature of an internet forum, there is always the opportunity to do so. It is all pertinent to the overall topic.

Beyond that, I am not sure why anyone would be proud of not collecting stamps.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by anthonycooper
Well since I did worship a deity and now I don't ,I feel a weight has been lifted off of me in that I don't feel I am going to hell for being different.

Also, i have noticed that there's a lot of flack concerning AI's treatment of my conversion in this thread. i want it made known that i am in no way offended by his pride. he has good reason to be proud. he has changed a part of my life that i've been bogged down by for decades. we're proud of each other for this change, and we're going to make the most of it.

To be honest, anyone will receive a whole lot of flak for posting anything whatsoever on an internet forum. Kind of the nature of things

I think the most important part is just realizing this is one step amongst many and if you use it as a stepping stone to learn and grow, rather than stagnate, you are likely to find wonderful things in your life.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by anthonycooper

i have noticed that there's a lot of flack concerning AI's treatment of my conversion in this thread.

Yeah, people seem to fear change and difference.

I feel a weight has been lifted off of me in that I don't feel I am going to hell for being different.

That sounds like a positive to me.

Thank you for getting back to me, this seems to be one of those runaway threads.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You just answered your own question. If such actions don't make sense to you maybe you should try them more often. With my help my friend has initiated a drastic change in perception. I feel such a development warrants recognition and celebration. It's a rather large leap from what he's used to, after all.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

If collecting stamps were a very significant part of our culture, I would imagine that not collecting stamps would also be proportionally more significant.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

If collecting stamps were a very significant part of our culture, I would imagine that not collecting stamps would also be proportionally more significant.

It was meant as a friendly jab using an overused meme.
Helping a friend expand his horizons is a very good thing, as long as both you and him do not put yourselves into another limited and stagnant box.

Would you like to respond to anything else I have asked?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

If you would be so kind as to compile your unanswered questions in their entirety, I would be willing to have a shot at it.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

Thanks, I am actually putting in honest effort to understand where other people are coming from. I have been doing this for a long time now, with little to no actual discussion. People just tend to get angry and insulting when I ask questions that may be difficult to answer, but I am rarely asked anything of my own perspective except as a matter of convenience, or frequently, in hopes of setting up some kind of insult.

Welcome to the club, my friend! We are known as "Trolls", here at ATS!
and a star!See yah Milt

It becomes very clear when questions are avoided, unaswered or one recieves a two sentence response to 300 words of scholarship as/is this the RESOUNDING reply; a 25 word response; deflection instead. Its insulting, and I have no idea why bother to exact a reply to be blown off using such a slighting insulting method. Oh yes that of the Blow Off too deep too consequencial (no time for you; there are other suckers out there not so smart) and that applies to all of you that have a belief system of If there is NO GOD, that EQUALS MANIFEST DESTINY: IF I DO NOT EXIST NEITHER DOES IT; as the reason is to describe each other So, you are moot and do not exist. The anger is blatantly apparent, sorry is as sorry goes.
edit on 20-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

This isn't a competition so stop treating it like one. There are no points being earned or goals being made.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

If you would be so kind as to compile your unanswered questions in their entirety, I would be willing to have a shot at it.

Luckily for both of us, they are all neatly compiled in this very thread!

Taking them out of context would be rather difficult. Given the amount of text I have written, as well as the amount of posts to have relevant context, the compilation would likely take up an entire page of your thread.

I mean, you do realize it is a bit unreasonable to request this, right?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

This isn't a competition so stop treating it like one. There are no points being earned or goals being made.

Once again you refuse to quote me, and in the vaguery cannot answer you. To what are you referring? Points? Goals, my team is called the Copasetic Dragons, yours is called? I thought this was a game? What field at what time, and the rules are?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I said it was a game as in we're having fun here, not as in we're keeping score.

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join