It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Treating Their Employees Even Worse

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

They will never let an employee work enough hours to qualify for medical benefits.

Obamacare kicks in 2014, they'll be feeling that one. It'll hit small business owners alot worse, maybe even put many out of business. Wal-mart just got slapped with a $110 million dollar fine for getting caught illegally dumping toxic waste , so theyre going to start reaping what they have sewn.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I agree, i cant find anything american made walmart. It has destroyed our economy, we should be supporting mom and pops stores and small business.....lets starve out wally world and costco and all these major retailers.

Theyre importing everything from China now. Not joking dude i picked up a bottle of strawberry jam that was made in China. Start learning to speak chinese and mandarin. All these chinese retaurants we have where the chinese people working in them can't speak a lick of english should tell us all something. Immigrants aren't learning english because this country is about to belong to foreigners if it doesn't already.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
After reading this thread, I had to comment.
My husband has worked for walmart for about 9 years. It is not a glorious place to work, its not the most employee friendly, its stressful, hard labour (in his department) and with very little at all benefits, meaning a simple "hey, you did a great job", even...
My husband is not stupid, uneducated or on welfare...He is working full time, making a steady wage, even if not ideal wage, and carries health insurance for the family.
He holds the old ways dear, as father and husband, he works hard for the family, does all he can to support and provide and would dig ditches if that's what it took...being where he is, is not far off, but I am proud of him for doing what he does! He takes pride in the work he does and customers know it as do his co workers who are lazy...
He does wish things were better at walmart all the way around and that they would hire people who gave a damn about work ethic...would carry American MADE products...not American assembled with foreign parts...would support their employees who break their backs instead of use them and toss them aside once broken...
if walmart wanted, they could make a change and we all would support them and the products...but they need to stop building a walmart grocery across from every other local grocery store to try and steal patrons and supply their regular stores with some better items, some more variety of items and workers with pride.
I could rattle off horror stories about employees, but that's not what im here to do...walmart is NOT the best of employers, but it keeps our family's head above water to survive and have a meal on the table.
Anyone who works there shouldn't be ashamed to say so...but realistically many are...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

They refuse to hire full-time workers. If you need health insurance, Walmart wil never grant you enough hours to earn it.

I think you misrepresented Walmart's position. They do have full time employees. They're simply looking at ways to staff the peak hours without wasting a bunch on man hours. Most businesses seek to do that.

And as far as cutting hours to avoid paying healthcare, MOST large, medium and small companies will be doing that soon. That's not an attempt to screw employees; it's an attempt to stay in business.

It's easy for people with very little business knowledge to play armchair quarterback and make assumptions. The fact of the matter is that companies are cutting back and looking for ways to absorb the cost of Obamacare. If you don't like the necessary measures then take it up with Obama!!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Yeah, Walmart is the only company in the USofA that treats their employees unfairly and sells Chinese crap.

If so many people hate shopping and working at Walmart, why are there so many of these stores and why are they so damned busy ALL THE TIME???

People whine and complain about them, then gather the family up to go shop there.

I can list a few hundred places that treat their employees just like Walmart and guess what, they're still making record profits. So who's to blame really?

Edit; Well said Seabag!
edit on 14-6-2013 by KawRider9 because: To give props to Seabag

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
walmart gives advice to its employees on how to get state assistance in the form of contact numbers within the state you are working. walmart works around the philosophy of government subsidy through it keeping your employment hours low. also a large chunk of their sales is from people on welfare which is another form of state subsidy indirectly. walmart does offer health insurance, but if you work 24 hours a week well.... you are better off with the state offered insurance program. they know that states will be forced to offer you health insurance if your hours are too low and the insurance they offer is less than what you can get through the state.

ive summed up walmart philosophy this way:
squeeze a nickle until it bleeds a penny to lose a dollar in the long run.

ie. have all of your products made in china. spend how much in fuel/time to haul it to your stores? to sell to people who do not have jobs because all the manufacturing jobs were shipped to china/mexico and are forced onto somekind of public assistance which is funded through government debt which will eventually bankrupt the nation.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Walmart is an AMERICAN company started BY AMERICANS. The practices you are seeing amount to THE AMERICAN WAY of doing business, which is and has always been "More For Me And Less For Everyone Else". Bitch about it all you want, but don't pretend that people start businesses to "help communities". That's a PR illusion that all companies use to gain customers. Mom & Pop have always used the same business techniques, just not as efficiently. You guys like capitalism? This what it creates. There has to be a winner.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindpurelyMind
My wife works for a local clothing company ( LANDS END ) as a flex-time employee she actually gets a good hourly rate BUT all their hours have been cut ( to 29) so as to avoid giving health care benefits. But since she started there, they have slowly eroded workers benefits over profits.

Sad

Welcome to Obamacare. The Walmarts are just another government "too big to fail" business. I worked at a Walmart, they didn't even report my income for a W2 and didn't pay me my last check.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I started boycotting Walmart LONG ago. The only times I end up in one of their stores is if I'm driven there by a friend (family members of mine don't go there either) or in emergencies when there is no other option (which is extremely rare).

My decision to boycott this company always makes me happy whenever I see this store mentioned in the news or talked about online. The reason is because its NEVER good press. Only dumb people read all this bad press, complain about the store, then go shop there. If you hate the place, put your money where your mouth is and stop going there. Maybe if more of these complainers would follow through and vote their disapproval with their wallet, Walmart would be forced to actually change something for the better for once.

Nothing would make me happier than to see that company go out of business. From how they treat suppliers to how they treat employees and finally to how they treat customers, everyone comes out of the experience miserable. Yet everyone goes back for more like some abused housewife.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Brother-in-law is a store manager. On ATS, Makes me sick when I hear of this treatment to their employees,when I have to hear about how my sister paid off their two new cars, purchased a custom bar for their new home, blah blah blah. How? On top of their almost 3-digit basic walmart-paid salary, they lavishly look forward to their 80,0000 WALMART 'BONUS' every March. That's why walmart can't seem to allocate health insurance to staff and decent raises.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
A man denied his money is a left only with his humanity intact.

Remember that.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tlexlapoca

no full-time yet rent is very expensive forcing people to get 2 or 3 part-time jobs 7 days a week getting almost no rest and no promotion, but the bills keep getting higher

Why should Walmart care, people are "free" (TM)!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

They refuse to hire full-time workers. If you need health insurance, Walmart wil never grant you enough hours to earn it.

And as far as cutting hours to avoid paying healthcare, MOST large, medium and small companies will be doing that soon. That's not an attempt to screw employees; it's an attempt to stay in business.

Bull, they do it because they can, because they have the scruples of Hitler and they do it because they know the tax payer will pick up the slack.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

They will never let an employee work enough hours to qualify for medical benefits.

Obamacare kicks in 2014, they'll be feeling that one. It'll hit small business owners alot worse, maybe even put many out of business. Wal-mart just got slapped with a $110 million dollar fine for getting caught illegally dumping toxic waste , so theyre going to start reaping what they have sewn.

110 million dollars is like a speeding ticket for any of the senior share holders.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I unfortunately used to have to work at this place last year trying to pay off student loans and what not. I worked as an overnight stocker and everyone who wasn't in a managerial position hated the hell out of that place, for good reason. Only including my beef with corporate policies, they are scum bags. They basically jump through hoops backwards to get over on you.

For the year i was there, they consistently made me work full time hours but after consistent requests i was to remain a part time worker with no benefits. And at one point they had us file for like new health benefits or whatever "I've never been able to work full time so idk if this is a yearly thing" but if you were like me found it unnecessary since you weren't receiving said benefits to not do it, ud find out that they were kind of enough to do it anyway and they aren't so lenient with what they say u want reduced for some benefit you aren't eligible for.

Other than that theres the typical bulls**t at jobs, like you get fired for any overtime and all that other # that keep you at your #ty pay grade (which i guess is considered good at 10.20/h).

But the most #ed up way they treated me was two times on the job i sustained a debilitating injury that left me unable to work. The first time was in the summer and i somehow acquired nerve damage and was diagnosed with drop foot. After a month of worrying about the unknown cause of this i got "miraculously" better only to find that walmart decided to say to hell with my leave papers and decided to fire me about two weeks after i stopped coming in. Luckily i was able to fight it and get my job back.

Unfortunately, in december about a week before christmas i injured the same ankle (foot) while skating and fractured the hell out of it, now normally i wouldn't care but my job required me to lift basically every type of object they had in the store that always came in bulk, so long story short i asked to be able to go home (i was forced to come in that night for some stupid walmart reason) and my manager said it was cool. Next day i come in, Im fired.

Walmart is up there for the worst job I've ever worked at, but throughout all the bull# and ridiculous hours they still do one good thing for you, after a month of working there, u can get a whole 10% discount card. I mean, hey everybody's got to have something going for them.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Those people working at Walmart should be thankful they at least have a job regardless if it is temporary or not. In tough economic times, many people have lost jobs. So let this be a starting point in finding a right career elsewhere instead of job hunting. Demanding increased wages and hours and benefits is one thing, but at the end of the day if the retailer giant sells products for cheap, you better expect the same employee treatment.

This goes to show that you better start supporting small businesses that pay attention to your needs and treats their employees exceptionally well.

SW2011

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
And this is why Unions ( can I say that word on here?) where needed in the first place.

This sh#t just keeps going around and around in circles. I.E the unions get too big, too many demands so the local gov cracks down on them ( Wisconsin)...and workers start getting screwed...so we need unions...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MindpurelyMind

No we don't...businesses run to be profitable....if you want more money, work for the government (ie. another chain in the business sector - in secret)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hamburgerler

Bull, they do it because they can, because they have the scruples of Hitler and they do it because they know the tax payer will pick up the slack.

Walmart is under no obligation to provide healthcare for all of its employees. The REAL issue here is the overriding entitlement mentality so common today. Not everyone that goes to work gets healthcare or a nice BMW or a 401K etc. Some people excel and others scrape by...that's life. Another poster in this thread mentioned their family member who makes a great living at Walmart. Not everybody gets to live the American dream; that would be impossible. But to expect Walmart or any company to split profits with its employees and pay everyone $25+ per hour is extremely arrogant, selfish and delusional IMO.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindpurelyMind
And this is why Unions ( can I say that word on here?) where needed in the first place.

This sh#t just keeps going around and around in circles. I.E the unions get too big, too many demands so the local gov cracks down on them ( Wisconsin)...and workers start getting screwed...so we need unions...

One of the main reasons I joined my union was for the Health insurance. Without my union [SAG-AFTRA][IATSE] I would have no insurance or recourse if hurt on the job, could be fired for any bogus reason and paid a pittance for my skill and hard work.

Walmart will eventually unionize...it's just a matter of time.

Enjoy your weekend.....Thank the unions!!
www.unionplus.org...

edit on 14-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join