It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Treating Their Employees Even Worse

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Since Walmart first wormed its way into our neighborhoods with its 'Made in the US' promise back in the early 90's, it's done much to fatten its wallet and treat workers like disposable garbage.

Also, I can't for the life of me find one american made item in my local Walmart.

They refuse to hire full-time workers. If you need health insurance, Walmart wil never grant you enough hours to earn it. Here is their latest loophole to avoid doing so:

Walmart's Everyday Hiring Strategy: Add More Temps.

The new hiring policy is to ensure "we are staffed appropriately," when the stores are busiest and is not a cost-cutting move, said company spokesman David Tovar. Temporary workers, he said, are paid the same starting pay as other workers.

Wal-Mart already has begun to change the healthcare plans it provides workers. Last November, it said that newly hired part-time employees would have to work a minimum of 30 hours a week, up from 24 hours previously, before they can qualify for health coverage.

So they never have to pay above starting pay, never have to offer medical benefits. Pretty underhanded.
edit on 13-6-2013 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

They will never let an employee work enough hours to qualify for medical benefits. 'Made in the US', my batooty.

Unless recycling starting wage employess is something the US endorses.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This reminds me of the class action lawsuit in the 90's against walmart. They let 400+ employees rack up OT and then denied them their pay.

I agree, i cant find anything american made walmart. It has destroyed our economy, we should be supporting mom and pops stores and small business.....lets starve out wally world and costco and all these major retailers.

Walmart came to my city with the promise that they would help the community. four years later and they have donated 1800 lousy dollars to our school district.

They like to screw their employees every chance they get......and not even the courtesy of a reach around!
edit on 13-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

no full-time yet rent is very expensive forcing people to get 2 or 3 part-time jobs 7 days a week getting almost no rest and no promotion, but the bills keep getting higher

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I know, right? They should have at least bought us dinner first.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

If the dinner comes from walmart ill pass.....but a little lube wouldn't have hurt.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

It's hard to find American made products in Wal*China, I mean, Walmart...

Poor workers though, what's the incentive in staying there? I know I've stopped supporting Walmart a long time ago and I've been trying to buy Canadian and American made products, but it's really hard avoiding things made in China

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Don't pretend like a big display of inflatable pools and some 99 cent sunscreen doesn't get you going.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

in other countries wal-mart is like Prada. a fancy and expensive place to shop at

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dominar

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is where our gov is letting foreign business destroy its commerce but hey.. funnel the money out to china. What could possibly go wrong? *closes eyes*

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

What would get me going is some American made TV or DVD player....how about children's toys.......lead based paint? Wouldn't be the first time they cut corners for profit.....the 50/60's are so gone.......along with their mindset.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

We might have to do something about ranking 50th in the world in math but I bet that could happen.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
My wife works for a local clothing company ( LANDS END ) as a flex-time employee she actually gets a good hourly rate BUT all their hours have been cut ( to 29) so as to avoid giving health care benefits. But since she started there, they have slowly eroded workers benefits over profits.

Sad

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MindpurelyMind

That is sad. That's terrible. Every dedicated, hard-worker deserves medical benefits. She's getting colds while busting her booty to generate business for that company... she deserves to have medical treatment.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Its crazy but this day in age you need a contract to even guarantee your hours and pay.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

There has to be some grassroots way to get rid of walmart and bring the mom and pops back.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Wow, how were huge chunks of this thread removed as off-topic? I really didn't see them that way. I think someone is being over zealous. Every post I saw seemed pertinent.

Maybe the subject matter is too sensitive. I'm incredibly creeped out now. It was a conversation about walmart and to some extent its effect on other countries. How that became censored really confuses me.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Well, if Walmart made a REAL big effort to sell products manufacture in America and if they made more full time positions available with benefits, then I wouldn't see so much of a problem with them.

There is this from their website also, Walmart/News

Walmart and Sam’s Club will buy an additional $50 billion in U.S. products over the next 10 years. The company will grow U.S. manufacturing on two fronts: by increasing what it already buys here ... and by helping to onshore U.S. production in high potential areas like textiles, furniture and higher-end appliances.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join