It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Treating Their Employees Even Worse

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MildBill

But then, I don't know when, seemingly en-masse, all corporations changed the name of "Personnel Department" to "Human Resources". Curious, isn't it? Why did they do that? What's wrong with the title "Personnel"? I'm a person not a resource.

But then, of course, we all know how corporations treat natural resources!

A resource is something used for support or HELP. I think employees fit the bill. If you want to take issue with the title that’s your prerogative but I don’t think there is anything there.

I’ve already shown that this practice certainly isn’t limited to the 'Great Satan - Wal-Mart'. It’s not even limited to BIG corporations. Every company with over 50 employees will have to use a mix of cost cutting measures and price increases to compensate for the atrocity that is Obamacare.

Blame Obama voters….blame Obama himself…but don’t blame the market!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

Yes I get it you don't like them so single them out. So Then the evil Walmart can't be like other companies. What a waste of time till you stop blaming this company or that. Won't ever change that way till you fix the trouble that lets it all happen to begin with.
People cry on how their treated but that won't change a thing when it's done legally. Till you and others realize that threads like these are a waste of time.
This is what the New America is becoming like it or not.

This will be the last response to this thread to anyone.. I myself don't have it in me for opening your eyes and see where the trouble starts at beyond the Evil Walmart .

Here I'll help you get started again.
Bad Evil Walmart it's all their fault.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

My sympathies, I once worked at the other big box store I can relate.

Good luck to anyone who has to close the store at night especially at the holidays, you never knew what time you'd go home, "team work" we all had to clean each other's dept. Then inevitable hourly cuts later after the rush.

These retailers want their last penny, both from employee and customers alike.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
To 'seabag':

It is a matter of public record that many corporations exploit earth's natural resources.

("Exploit"...Webster's II Dictionary...2. To make use of unethically or selfishly.)

Be that as it may, you did not address my question. Why did all corporations change the administrative title "Personnel Department" to "Human Resources"?

You digressed into a mini-rant about Obamacare. I didn't mention Obamacare. What possible reason does Obamacare have to do with all corporations changing "Personnel Department" to "Human Resources"? That happened long before Obamacare.

Please address the question. Why do you think ALL corporations changed "Personnel Department" to "Human Resources"?

What is the subliminal reason?

Peace

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrincessTofu
Since Walmart first wormed its way into our neighborhoods with its 'Made in the US' promise back in the early 90's, it's done much to fatten its wallet and treat workers like disposable garbage.

Also, I can't for the life of me find one american made item in my local Walmart.

They refuse to hire full-time workers. If you need health insurance, Walmart wil never grant you enough hours to earn it. Here is their latest loophole to avoid doing so:

[ndorses.
edit on 13-6-2013 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

I think Walmart bought Asda in England - anyway - I hate to say this but it really is up to the employees to put a stop to this.

Why don't they work to rule or strike until conditions are improved ?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

What's your problem with Wal-Mart? Why don't you give their employees health insurance? Why don't you hire them full time?..

It's a free country. No one's stopping you from going to the bank and asking for a loan with the business plan of 'I will have higher labor costs than my competition.'

If you won't, and you're criticizing them for not doing so, you're a pretty bad hypocrite. Ragging on someone else for doing something you won't.
edit on 6/15/13 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus
being profitable is not bad. being greedy is.

Hmm, so you're basically just calling people names? Or else, what is the purpose of you labeling them as greedy?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by olaru12

Thanks for the opportunity to toot my own horn. Besides my union gigs, Actually I do have my own DAMN business; 3 LLCs and hire a total of 12 people in a retail store, a flyfishing guide and outfitting service and a small movie production company.

That's outstanding. Please explain how well your business would fare if your 12 employees formed a union and demanded $25 per hour, full medical benefits, 4 weeks vacation, 401k and 35 hour work week?

And by God the decisions are up to me and I make them and I'm not ashamed to admit I have made and lost fortunes thru bad business practices but in the true entrepreneurial spirit, I bounce back. Also in my union gigs I am in the position to make decisions; being a skilled, knowledgeable and valued team player.

In the businesses you own and operate you're entitled to make ALL of the decisions including the compensation of your employees. As a union leader you have NO RIGHT to tell a company what compensation it must provide because in that capacity you are simply an employee. That was my only point.

Seabag, you seem to have a real perspective on this. and I can respect it. Correct me if I'm wrong. A person is born into this world. They move through it doing what he or she does, to live. Each negotiating their own best deal and succeed on their own merit.

Companies, or employers get together an idea. Then rounds up the resources and the personal to make this idea a reality. If the personal is not agreeable to the terms of the visionary employer, he need not be an employee.

I guess the rub comes when success is in abundance. The reality of Wal-Mart is that the overwhelming majority of the company, and it's huge economic importance, is the employees. If not for the vast numbers of employees acting in specific ways in a synergy Wal-Mart would not exist, So in reality who owns what?

I like the compensation package you laid out A family could live on that. Without government aid, something I'm sure you're not in favor of.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDuchess

Can someone tell me how Walmart can legally cut employee hours to keep them from being eligible for health care!? That seems like it would be illegal to me?

The same way I can choose to buy less beef if the price gets too high for me to afford. How in the world does anyone get the idea that it is somehow illegal to not hire someone or to work them for the number of hours needed?

There seems to be this belief that WalMart and other businesses exist for the sole purpose of hiring people. They do not. I owned and ran a corporation once, and I didn't start it so I could hire people; I can hire someone without all that hassle if I can afford it. I started it so I could make a living. Period. End of paragraph. End of subject.

I turned down so many people when I was hiring because they wanted more money than I could pay... I was working 80+ hours a week and risking everything I had in order to have this company, and they wanted more than I made to come in for 40 hours and go home with no risk whatsoever. Nope. Thank you for coming in. We'll be in touch when we make a decision.

This is why so many people are without jobs. In order for a business to operate, that business has to pay exorbitant costs for labor and walk on eggshells to make sure the people it pays don't decide to sue them for saying something that was taken the wrong way. So they simply don't grow, or don't even start up... I know there is no way in Hades I would start anything other than a one-man operation up right now. I don't want to be labelled a greedy evil villain for giving people jobs.

Yeah, illegal to cut hours... riiiiiight...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

The only greedy ones I see are those who have done nothing except show up for work (and get paid for it, by the way) and then demand profit sharing. Why does a company have to bend over and take it from employees?

you can still be profitable, and treat your employees like human beings, instead of animals.

I hear garbage like this a lot but we’re talking about low wages, reduced hours and no medical benefits. Do you have some examples of Wal-Mart using shock collars, leashes and kennels on its employees?

Part of the reason the country is in the mess it’s in is because people have granted the federal government power to interfere in every aspect of our lives. Now many are pleading with the government to go after corporations and force them to provide things to us??? You’re simply replacing one goon with another more powerful goon. What happened to self-reliance? If Wal-Mart was as bad as you make it out to be then why is it the largest employer in the world?? Please explain that! Are they rounding people up by bus and carting them to the local Wal-Mart slave camps??

Might i ask what you do for a living?

Might i also ask if you were to lose whatever job you currently have, are there sufficient job opportunities in your area?

And might i also ask what kind of education and skill set you have?

i suspect you're Ex-Military, and if you are, that is fantastic -salute- ..but what other skills do you have?

We're not just talking about lousy wages, no access to health insurance (which shouldn't even exist), and reduced hours...

we're talking about locking employees into the store overnight, deleting hours from time sheets, to avoid having to pay for the time, forcing employees to work through breaks, forcing employees to work off the clock...we're talking about the economic burden to communities where walmart sets up, and the economic burden to every taxpayer in america, not to mention things like how they treat their suppliers, their sweat-shop-produced goods, their import of cheap chinese crap, instead of american goods......look it up, i'm not making any of this up....

walmart is also not the largest employer in the world....

as of 2012, the largest employer in the world was the United States Department of Defense, followed by the People's Liberation Army, followed by China Railway Engineering Corporation, followed by WalMart....

they are 4th largest, and as to why?....well, they have 8500 stores....they don't run themselves...

and to your first point......nobody's demanding "profit sharing"...they're demanding a wage that doesn't put them below the friggin' poverty line...they're looking for access to medical care. this is basic stuff that you expect from an employer in a civilized society...a wage you can live on, and access to what is needed to make sure the employee can remain healthy and productive...

as i said before, corporations pretty much ARE beholden to their employees, because without employees, the machine stops working, and NOBODY makes any money...that seems to me to be an outcome one would want to avoid, would it not?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

You see, this isn’t something limited to Wal-Mart; all companies are affected. Don’t be surprised when most companies with over 50 employees do the same thing…it’s happening already. This is what happens when people demand FREE STUFF. Nothing in life is FREE!! Everything we buy is going to cost more as a result.

well, nobody asked for obamacare...it's a crap program, and it needs to go, before it gets started.....

there's no free stuff being asked for either...currently, when you get health insurance through your employer, you pay a fee for it...it's not like it's just being given to you, your money is going into it...i personally don't agree with the concept of health insurance in the first place..i think it puts an unnecessary burden on the person buying it....but you NEED it now, because everything is so ridiculously expensive, because of EVERYONE that needs to get their piece....it didn't used to be this way...

the difference between walmart, and all these other companies, (which i had stated to you in an earlier post to you, which you ignored, by the way) is that walmart has been pulling this crap for a LONG time....far before there was anything even remotely resembling a logical reason....

they're greedy bastards, plain and simple...

when you can pay yourself, your fellow executives, and high ranking managers HUGE bonuses every year, while the people who made you that money in the first place, struggle to keep a roof over their head, and food in their bellies, and not feel the slightest bit bad about it, you're a greedy bastard...it's just that simple.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Connman

Yes I get it you don't like them so single them out. So Then the evil Walmart can't be like other companies. What a waste of time till you stop blaming this company or that. Won't ever change that way till you fix the trouble that lets it all happen to begin with.
People cry on how their treated but that won't change a thing when it's done legally. Till you and others realize that threads like these are a waste of time.
This is what the New America is becoming like it or not.

This will be the last response to this thread to anyone.. I myself don't have it in me for opening your eyes and see where the trouble starts at beyond the Evil Walmart .

Here I'll help you get started again.
Bad Evil Walmart it's all their fault.

Jesus Christ, get a hold of yourself man....

i understand, fully, that there are underlying causes, and that a lot of it has to do with government, among other things....

i also understand, fully, that there are a lot of other companies with lousy business practices, and that some of them even have practices as despicable as those used by walmart..

my only point is that this particular thread, this particular discussion is ABOUT walmart, and their s**tty business practices...that's it...it's just that simple...

i'm not denying that other forces are at work, or that there are other issues, i'm simply staying on topic....

lighten up....hell, start a thread about how other businesses in america are a**holes....i might even join you in there to talk about them...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I mean this metaphorically, so don't take me literally, but when I worked there I felt like I was working for the devil, like I shouldn't be there. They were a horrible company to work for and essentially try to brainwash you (metaphorically speaking again) into believing you're working for the best company on the planet. And yes, I got overtime at one point and they essentially bully you in the nicest way possible to roll it over to your next check so you wont get overtime. Needless to say I only worked there for two weeks before finding something else.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
I hate to say this but it really is up to the employees to put a stop to this.

Why don't they work to rule or strike until conditions are improved ?

because in most places they operate, by law, employment is "at will", meaning your employer can terminate you at ANY time, for ANY reason...

employees strike, they all get s**tcanned....employees TALK about striking, they all get s**tcanned....

are you seeing the problem?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon

Originally posted by Daedalus

Hmm, so you're basically just calling people names? Or else, what is the purpose of you labeling them as greedy?

lol, nice red herring....way to try to make it about me....NICE SHOT, MAN...

i label them greedy, because they're greedy.....i can see common sense is lost on you..

take care now, bye-bye then....

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

I wasn't aware that this link was only for individuals like yourself? I have as much right to tell my story as to show people what this corporation is capable of. The government did not tell Walmart to treats their employees like garbage. What would you do if your u lost a parent suddenly and management from your work showed up at the funeral uninvited and asked you right after u buried them when you would be back to work?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Dominar

surprisingly at the walmarts in mý area, they sell thes plastic cups with cartoon/superheroes made in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

I also had to pick up machine needles, event though i had to spend extra on the German-Indian made ones than the 'deff gonna break once i hit the quilt batting' Chinese ones

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I got one answer for people who dont like Walmart its real easy. If you dont like Walmart DONT shop at Walmart.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightrider078
I got one answer for people who dont like Walmart its real easy. If you dont like Walmart DONT shop at Walmart.

already done.....i havent set foot in one since i boycotted them like a decade ago..

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Double

edit on 16-6-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join