It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Material State “Defies” Laws of Physics

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

Scientists applied pressure and various fluids upon Zinc Cyanide and found that the molecules behaved in ways hitherto unknown by science, in fact possibly 'flouting' known physics laws, in that instead of being compressed or contracting, the materials expanded and became porous.

The materials used were not expected to behave in such a manner. Essentially, the interpenetrated atomic frameworks of the materials used, adapted it's chemical bonds in such a way that the dense, non porous material became porous. The atomic framework lattice essentially expanded, the material's density reduced and became porous.

en.wikipedia.org...

The structure features the zinc in the familiar tetrahedral coordination environment, all linked by bridging cyanide ligands. The structure consists of two "interpenetrating" structures. Such motifs are sometimes called "expanded diamondoid" structures because the interconnecting atoms are tetrahedral but instead of being directly linked as in diamond, the atoms are separated by additional bond

scitechdaily.com...

Pressure-induced transitions are associated with near 2-fold volume expansions. While an increase in volume with pressure is counterintuitive, the resulting new phases contain large fluid-filled pores, such that the combined solid + fluid volume is reduced and the inefficiencies in space filling by the interpenetrated parent phase are eliminated.

edit on 13-6-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I guess there are possibilities in many areas, APS the research facility, seems to be exploring a lot of areas, from inside the Earth to space and beyond says it's website.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Finally something GOOD from one of our research facilities.

The DOE released a report where things went terribly WRONG at one of our nuclear research facilities in 2012 because all the different foreigners working there couldn't speak ENGLISH and the guy running the show....lost control.

Resulting in a big nuclear oppsie accident.

There are some who believe they made the "accident" on PURPOSE. Stopped our research there.

Even though the DOE released the Accident Report on their website.....never was mentioned on the media.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9
Can some please post a "dummies version" of this thread? Just spent five minutes reading through this thread and have no clue what is going on. Either the meds for my broken leg are affecting my brain or this topic is waaaay over my head.

I don't know about the thread itself, but the material mentioned in the OP is considered interesting/odd because it becomes more porous when pressure is applied -- which is counter-intuitive.

The analogy it the OP's article was it would be like squeezing a rock and it turning into a sponge. That's not exactly what happens, bu that is the analogy.

edit on 6/13/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The water and ice analogy isn't the same.

This research has developed a method of creating 5 new phases in the manipulation of a dense non porous matter into a less dense porous matter, using pressure and fluid.

This manipulation of the structure framework hasn't been seen before nor was it predicted. The scientists that did this research, did YEARS of tests just to make sure they could believe the results, because the results are a big deal.

This is potentially a game changer for science, ways of altering matter that defies humanities current level of physics knowledge is a big deal.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

I don't know about the thread itself, but the material mentioned in the OP is considered interesting/odd because it becomes more porous when pressure is applied -- which is counter-intuitive.

Water expands when frozen. Most liquids do NOT do this. It's very counter intuitive if you hadn't of learned it growing up.
This is similar to what's happening with this material.

I really don't think this is that big of a discovery...

It's NOT a new state of matter. People need to quit wording it like that.

edit on 13-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I didn't read it as stating a ''new state of matter'' rather that certain matter underwent 5 new states (ie new to this type of matter) and altered in ways which aren't understood by humanities current level of physics knowledge.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenJack
Ya something different to read and its pretty amazing. Thanks for bringing this news to ats truth.

Mind = Blown

Note to ats staff, we need a mind blown smiley

edit on 13-6-2013 by CitizenJack because: typo

how about this.

www.vintagedrumforum.com...
edit on 13-6-2013 by Tindalos2013 because: link added

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

I wouldn't equate the meaning of Science and "Roswell," nor use them together in the same sentence.

V

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Water expands when frozen.

Yea, uhh, that's exactly the same thing as what the article describes.... Sigh

V

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
Also interesting is that the material used was Zinc Cyanide, which has one of the largest negative coefficents of thermal expansion.

This interests me greatly as a possible step forwards for establishing possible materials found at Roswell and other reports of such of expanding / contracting shiny zinc like materials often cited in UFO sightings. And that the research facility is the Advanced Photon Source Lab that is also doing interesting research into Macromolecular Crystallography. Interesting place.

www.aps.anl.gov...

The Advanced Photon Source (APS) at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory provides this nation’s (in fact, this hemisphere’s) brightest storage ring-generated x-ray beams for research in almost all scientific disciplines.

These x-rays allow scientists to pursue new knowledge about the structure and function of materials in the center of the Earth and in outer space, and all points in between. The knowledge gained from this research can impact the evolution of combustion engines and microcircuits, aid in the development of new pharmaceuticals, and pioneer nanotechnologies whose scale is measured in billionths of a meter, to name just a few examples. These studies promise to have far-reaching impact on our technology, economy, health, and our fundamental knowledge of the materials that make up our world.

The APS electron accelerator and storage system are the first critical steps in producing the high-energy x-rays that are used for frontier research.

No weather balloon comments please.

I was toying with the idea of making a similar comment. When I heard of 5 new phases, I am reminded of something I heard about UFO ships. something about lead based, and made through specific processes not yet known to us. Maybe this is the beginning. Weve gained a level towards the technology. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
The DOE released a report where things went terribly WRONG at one of our nuclear research facilities in 2012 because all the different foreigners working there couldn't speak ENGLISH and the guy running the show....lost control.
Resulting in a big nuclear oppsie accident.

Do you have a link to that report....

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Variable

Perhaps you wouldn't. However to many this is an interesting area of science, ie the discovery of new properties that affects matter, and also the possibility that there is matter that behaves in ways completely anathema to current humanity's science knowledge, and that there are possibly higher intelligence's with better technology and superior knowledge to humanity.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Variable

It isn't the same, it is referring to a specific framework structure behaving in ways contrary to that expected.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

I didn't read it as stating a ''new state of matter'' rather that certain matter underwent 5 new states (ie new to this type of matter) and altered in ways which aren't understood by humanities current level of physics knowledge.

Actually, the article doesn't say that this material cannot be "understood by humanities current level of physics knowledge"

What it does say is:

"a group of scientists has seemingly defied the laws of physics and found a way to apply pressure to make a material expand instead of compress/contract."
[emphasis mine]

and

"Because this behavior seems impossible, Chapman and her colleagues spent several years testing and retesting the material until they believed the unbelievable and understood how the impossible could be possible.

Those two excerpts lead me to believe that this material can be understood, although our current physics may need to be applied in novel ways to understand this material's behavior.

edit on 6/13/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Shouldn't they state, " it is counter intuitive to the laws of physics, as we understand them"?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Finally!
These guys may be able to produce a specific filter for the bottos of ocean going ships...
They can now probably make filters to take the metalic elements out of sea water with this....!
no?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
It is called a phase alteration exploited by interstitial and substitution transitional states.

Let's say you have a neat orderly, solid block of magnets inside of a balloon. It is about 6 inches by 6 inches and all the magnets are brick-stacked neatly upon one another. You take that balloon and shake it really really hard so that all the magnets begin to separate and jumble around inside the balloon, and at the same time as you are shaking the balloon really hard, you can finally work a nozzle into the mix and inject expanding construction sealant into the balloon, so that it begins to saturate with that goo in between all the jumbling magnets while they jostle about. Then let it dry. You have a balloon which is twice the size of the old balloon, but only weighs 20% more than the old balloon did (because the magnets are still the majority of the atomic mass).

You have jostled the magnets up so much, that while they still are connected with each other in many cases, they are connected via long chains of magnets and no longer neat brick stacks, and are completely covered in foaming construction sealant goo through and through, so they can never return to that old nice orderly stack of magnets they once were.

The 'shaking' of the balloon is normally accomplished by Kinetic Energy in the form of heat, usually energy applied in ovens or via molten sodium chloride or sodium fluoride, bringing elements or compounds to the Gamma Phase boundary, wherein the macro or bravais lattice of the compound or element will change to one with 'holes' or spaces inside it. One can insert things into these 'holes' if they know how.

In this case however the novelty appears to reside in the difference that the University has applied the Kinetic Energy in the form of extreme diamond anvil pressure (0.9 to 1.8 GPa), rather than KE by heat.

Gad I hope that makes sense???

edit on 14-6-2013 by TheEthicalSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

You need to read the article again.

It isn't a new 'matter' that isn't currently understood, it is a known matter's reaction to pressure under certain lab conditions, it's structural behaviour, that doesn't adhere to that which human science currently holds as the norm.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Perhaps they should, it suggests that is a given.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join