It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shock as Greece shuts down public broadcaster

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Shock as Greece shuts down public broadcaster

www.google.com

ATHENS — Greece's government on Tuesday announced the immediate closure of public television and radio broadcaster ERT, in a shock move...

..As screens around the country went black, the corridors of the broadcaster's headquarters were filled with stunned employees.....

"Police went onto the mountain and neutralised our people" who managed the transmitter, said Nikos Roukounakis...

"This is a coup d'etat," Alexis Tsipras, leader of main opposition party Syriza...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Haven't seen this posted and the news is still developing.

As of this writing the MSM is just starting to come out with stories. Most are spinning it as a simple move to save money -- Greece is, as most of us probably are aware, in dire financial straits.

But why the sudden shutdown? Why the shock? Why the talk of "coup de'etat" and "police neutralizing our people?" Rumors of internet disruption have also been floating around.

Is this a sign of true choas and political turmoil in Greece, finally snapping under the weight of its ongoing economic nightmare? Or a "simple cost-cutting move," as the MSM rushes to assure us...?

www.google.com

edit on 6/11/2013 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm getting an odd feeling with all the events around the world right now taken together and perhaps......not entirely in total isolation from one another for cause and effect.

I'd just suggest that everyone, no matter what nation they're in, stay loose and stay as informed to what is happening in the area, region and larger nation as possible for the coming days and weeks. Hopefully we all look back on this period and shake off the concern as simple paranoia over easily explained things. Hopefully.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I hope the same happens to the CBC in Canada.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I love Greece. Bad things happen to Greece right at and after the Bilderbergers meet because I think they love Greece too - enough to want to own it all.

I'm very upset about this news. I don't know a soul from there, but would love to- Greece has always resonated with me in a very special way.

NYT story www.nytimes.com... rtner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0
edit on 11-6-2013 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for posting that. I saw this earlier today on an MSM site and it was spun as a "money saving" issue. Everyone knows the financial straits going on over there.

And I fell for it

Taken like this it appears much worse.
edit on 11-6-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Bad things happen to Greece right at and after the Bilderbergers meet . . .
That's more than a coincidence.
That is the nature of this group, very high level gangsters.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

"ERT belongs to the Greek people... It is the only independent, public voice

I think that quote from the article makes it pretty clear why they pulled the plug on it and not other government expenditure.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well is always the underground brocasting, when is a will is a way, I wonder if a civil war will erupt in Greece and who could be supplying the weapons.

When major news sources are taken away historically is follow by a civil war, because Greece has been on a civil unrest for while already.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

The government said all current employees will be compensated and will be allowed to reapply for a job at a revamped organisation.

A "revamped" organisation? More like a government controlled organisation...This could be the USA any day now...my eyes and ears are going to be watching this closely...S&F

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Thanks much for the report,

This just up it maybe a repeat looks like they are going to put up
a scaled down media....government run?

reopening with a pared-down staff in the future.

The decision, made in the context of austerity and reform policies implemented to tackle the debt crisis, has sparked strong reactions from press unions, trade unions, political parties, as well as approximately 2,700 employees currently working at ERT's four nationwide television channels and 28 radio stations.

"The government has decided to close the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (ERT). It will be replaced by a modern television and audio broadcaster as soon as possible," Greek government spokesman Simos Kedikoglou said in a televised address on Tuesday afternoon.

He cited chronic mismanagement and corruption as the main reasons behind the decision, arguing that the 300 million euros (398 million U.S. dollars) cost per year currently paid by Greeks for the broadcaster is about seven times higher than that of other private stations.

english.eastday.com...

edit on 11-6-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
They don't need to do this in the US. The media is already under complete control by the same gang that controls the govt.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Waste not time on idle thoughts, nor gentle persuasion tarry. Let anger not spoil your heart, nor sloth wreck your home. Put away for winter not summer, take not more than your fill. Look at yourself in the mirror through another's eyes.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u

The government said all current employees will be compensated and will be allowed to reapply for a job at a revamped organisation.

A "revamped" organisation? More like a government controlled organisation...This could be the USA any day now...my eyes and ears are going to be watching this closely...S&F

Something about Wrabbit's words scared me

Anyway, I agree....this could happen to the USA anyday.

To be honest, you have to look at things from every perspective you can, in order to try and get a more complete picture to the puzzle in front of you.

Department of Homeland Security is quite strange, isn't it? What role does it fill, that our other agencies didn't already fill?

I think that is going to be answered for us within the next decade. We are already seeing the tyranical pull of the DHS. We are seeing them stockpile on ammo. We are seeing the web they are weaving. All around the country, we are seeing them "couch" police departments.....giving them new expensive toys......

I think our government is preparing for turmoil within the US. I'm not saying it is GOING TO HAPPEN.....nor they think it will......but anyone with a brain should be able to see that in the current climate, it is POSSIBLE. It is this possibility that I think is scaring our government, and the elite behind the screen.

I think they are preparing in our country for things to get real bad.....and unfortunately, whatever measures they take to prevent our country from "collapsing"...those measures will likely still be in place LONG after any turmoil.

In other words, our government is preparing for the worse.....whether or not the worse comes....I think its already too late....because our government is never going to revert to "pre-prepardness"

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by supermarket2012

Your post says well what I feel too,sometimes I get this very real claustrophobic feeling when reading how things are developing in America-i feel the walls closing in on the American population-its sad and very disturbing.I'm on another continent,and yet that feeling of claustrophobia is so strong,I don't understand how more Americans cannot feel or notice it-at least everyone aged 30+upwards.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
This would be a great time to learn about pirate radio or "illegal broadcasting".
Of course this is illegal to do, but under distress or war the FCC allows broadcasting in what ever means possible to relay emergency information.
This applies to pirate radio operators who may be broadcasting music or talk shows already, what you are doing right now may be illegal, but under the right circumstances it could save lives and get information out to the rest of the world via shortwave broadcasting, or locals via AM/FM radio.

Ham radio operators like to downgrade pirate radio operators to something of a fungus, but the truth is when legal broadcasters are forced to shut down by law there will ONLY be pirates. Hams listen closely at what I am saying.
I am not suggesting this should be a normal mode of operation, but in emergencies, possibly things that could happen in the future where a government takes over our rights and we can not fight back "illegal" radio broadcasting may be our only hope to get out to the public.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Wow. I am glad I got my family out of Europe already. I can't say we are any better or worse now but I get a feeling Europe will be the flash point if any were to happen for a public reprisal of the economic system our society employs.

Its weird.I remember hearing about how TVE in Spain was going to be restructured due to austerity. Its pretty much the same deal as this broadcaster.

If not Greece then Spain or Portugal but one will end the EU by their withdrawal due to this sort of crap. It IS possible regardless of what wishful apologists say and warn about as if some star wars like army will descend from the heavens to stop it.LOL.

I say good riddance. It is a soulless ECONOMIC union of unlike-minded peoples that spreads misery and stagnates progress in the name of false financial safety.

edit on 12-6-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

I think that quote from the article makes it pretty clear why they pulled the plug on it and not other government expenditure.

It "belongs" to the "Greek people" insofar that it is government owned. If ERT was anything like the German public broadcasters, it would have been more the voice of the government than the people. In other words it was a government propaganda machine. If ERT was funded the same way that the public broadcasters are here in Gemrany—which is a 50€ tax every three months from virtually every German household—this will actually be good for the Greeks as they'll have more money in their pockets (and they won't have as much propaganda lobbed at them).

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Too bad, I guess the revolution will not be televised.

Maybe things are about to get real serious in Greece

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
I hope the same happens to the CBC in Canada.

They're controlled by the government so no, it'll never happened... Unfortunately

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join