It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shock as Greece shuts down public broadcaster

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
So this means the government is going to control the media, what a great way to keep the people blind while the government uses propaganda on them whenever they want.

US is also full of media propaganda when the small media broadcasters were taken over by the big conglomerates, they all now nothing but propaganda.

Money talks BS walks.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

'The Ministry of Truth' will return shortly, broadcasting a 'new' message of hope!

Coming to the rest of the world very soon.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrankLY

Originally posted by TFCJay
I hope the same happens to the CBC in Canada.

They're controlled by the government so no, it'll never happened... Unfortunately

Unlike the ERT which was controlled by ...Oh wait, the Greek government controlled it.

Would it have been better if they had cut an equivalent amount of money from social programs?

As for talk of "coup d'etat", has any political party, government or opposition, in any western democracy not been prone to hyperbole? One merely has to look at statements by the US Republican and Democratic Parties or any of the Canadian political parties to find good examples.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
That's what happen when you're ruled by the almighty Nazi Germany you lose your tv channels, take note guys, soon to be applied in your country, for now you can laugh just not too loud.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Here's my 2 cents on the topic.
Being Greek and actually streaming Greek TV into my home I think I can speak from a relatively stable foundation on ERT.
Essentially, yes it was funded by the Government. Was it bloated and a money pit? Absolutely. 300 Million Euro a year for broadcasting to a nation of around 10 Million citizens is quite the chunk of change.
Were they puppets of Government propaganda? Not necessarily, there were many shows with credible and respected speakers on ERT who would rip into the government and their policies on a regular basis. So much so that "unofficial" verbal orders were passed down to blacklist some guests, orders that were conveniently ignored by the Thessaloniki studios. (Kudos to them!)
As for the 'Coup D'etat' and police being involved, take that with a grain of salt. The 'Coup D'etat' comment comes from a radical leftist opposition party, the 'police involvement' was (in my opnion) melodrama. As far as I know the Police were sent to the transmitter because people were planning protest there.
Anyhow, personally I can see the good and the bad in this. The good is that a bloated over-paid section of public service has been cut down, the bad, that the new public broadcaster might be more of a government puppet station...however that may be a moot point with the availability of the internet as a medium
edit on 12-6-2013 by Konstantinos because: shpellin' and grammur

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Just to add something more to this and to make the rest of the world aware
the closing down of the Greek National television must be for deeper purposes also
which we are not aware of (but can imagine) is that we the people of Greece pay for
ERT through our electricity bill every other month. So I cant see where it plays a role
that much on the economy, except for the over numbered workers that are there.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Maybe America was smart to sell the public airwaves.

The CIA Drones ended up broadcasting in TV UHF/VHF so poor countries received the drones video feed......while the American Public had to switch over to digitally scrambled TV.....financing the future encrypted systems the military will soon need.

America has a "Christian" church owning a global broadcasting system, called "TWR".......that somehow has mega millions to broadcast every day....around the planet.

And Greece can't run 1 little bitty tv station......priceless.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by supermarket2012

Originally posted by shells4u

The government said all current employees will be compensated and will be allowed to reapply for a job at a revamped organisation.

A "revamped" organisation? More like a government controlled organisation...This could be the USA any day now...my eyes and ears are going to be watching this closely...S&F

Anyway, I agree....this could happen to the USA anyday.
Department of Homeland Security is quite strange, isn't it? What role does it fill, that our other agencies didn't already fill?

I think that is going to be answered for us within the next decade. We are already seeing the tyranical pull of the DHS. We are seeing them stockpile on ammo. We are seeing the web they are weaving. All around the country, we are seeing them "couch" police departments.....giving them new expensive toys......

I think our government is preparing for turmoil within the US. I'm not saying it is GOING TO HAPPEN.....nor they think it will......but anyone with a brain should be able to see that in the current climate, it is POSSIBLE. It is this possibility that I think is scaring our government, and the elite behind the screen.

What you're seeing is organized crime using government resources to find and track whistleblowers, not fix the problem. They are using these agencies as shell companies to shuffle normally illegal things around. For example the undercover "fbi" operation next door, my personal police state, we'll they are recruiting crooks into slavery, a plantation, instead of putting them in jail, giving them fake ids and adding them to their national security rackets, because the agent/operative happens to run a drug ring and is using investigation as a front, shuffling the funds into his political efforts. And who notices because it is hidden? See how that theory actually makes more sense and has a real purpose over the general idea of wanting to intrude privacy for your own protection?

It's a protection racket on a national scale. The public doesn't vote these watchers and life auditors into their chairs, they snuck in like thieves.

Likewise, the Greek problem, they don't have the freedom of the press, they are being totalitarianized. That's a slave state. I blame the international banking right now, that holders of Greek bonds from other countries (maybe prople like Hillary even) are hiding their cheats through censorship and will do atrocious things to make a profit.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Good for Greece, this is a sensible austerity move.

We here in Canada know how public broadcasting (owned and run by the government) is used as a mouthpiece for whichever party is currently in power. I do not pay taxes for propaganda. SHUT DOWN THE CBC!!

As for all you freaking out over draconian big brother methods, do you even understand this story?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Actually the move to shot down the ETR is a very smart one. This TV channel which is a government run one it's just sucking hundreds of thousands of euros in salaries and it barely have 5.4% of the overall audience in Greece. I used to know one of the editors of the news section and the man was getting payed over 14.000 euros a month (plus bonuses) And the overall staff of the TV channel was 3000. I mean are you kidding me? So all their salaries were tax payers moneys. The proposal from the government is very logical. Start a state run TV with 800 employees, increase the audience, make money and start employing more people. In a certain way a sort of self administration. Knowing Greece and the way government employees were abusing the system, is easy to imagine how pointless is to keep a state run TV channel with 3000 employees in a economical crisis situation.

Smart move from the part of Greek Government IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The government I'd shutting it's OWN mouthpiece down here, hence LESS propaganda.

Now if they start shutting down private broadcasters, THAT would be a real crime.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Well it looks like they "shot the messenger" that was bringing bad news.
Bad news yes, truthful news more than likely but time will tell.

This makes me think back to the threads about the proposed and now probable internet kill switch.
The populace as a whole scares the crap out of these people because if things go really bad the " root of the problem will be extracted".

Thanks for the heads up and I anticipate this thread is going places.

S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Yep the CBC was created as a mouth piece for the Government of Canada I I have no dispute with that.
But even a good dog will turn on it master if the situation is just right for rebellion.

"Edward Snowden" ring any bells?

How about Mr Harper and company cutting staff left and right at the CBC after they reported a few things that he did not care for?

The first one that comes to mind is the now abandoned or hopefully so F35 attack phantom jet.
The second one is the Senate and its possible demise.
Needle sharp teeth or words?
It does not matter the attack is the same and please keep that in mind if you will.

I am not bashing your post, simply replying with my thoughts.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 12-6-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Telos
Actually the move to shot down the ETR is a very smart one. This TV channel which is a government run one it's just sucking hundreds of thousands of euros in salaries and it barely have 5.4% of the overall audience in Greece. I used to know one of the editors of the news section and the man was getting payed over 14.000 euros a month (plus bonuses) And the overall staff of the TV channel was 3000. I mean are you kidding me? So all their salaries were tax payers moneys. The proposal from the government is very logical. Start a state run TV with 800 employees, increase the audience, make money and start employing more people. In a certain way a sort of self administration. Knowing Greece and the way government employees were abusing the system, is easy to imagine how pointless is to keep a state run TV channel with 3000 employees in a economical crisis situation.

Smart move from the part of Greek Government IMO.

The thing is they created this so called mouth piece and then they shut the same down.

now these folks working there don't or never will have golden pensions or any of the sort.
Somebody does not like the real deal and It ain't the government.

Regards, iwinder

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines
Too bad, I guess the revolution will not be televised.

Maybe things are about to get real serious in Greece

Try this link, maybe not the same but you will get the idea of why they are petrified of the media of any kind.

Link below
rt.com...

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Police state?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

That is true, but now the government can dip into westernized type of media that appeals more to pay advertisinging for air time in order to generate income.

But at the same time, your TVs channels will start to become polluted by more propaganda dvertisement and less meaningful news or TV programing.

I wonder who the government will bring in to manage the broadcasting now,perhaps outside investors?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrankLY

They're controlled by the government so no, it'll never happened... Unfortunately

So was the Greek station. Thats why they shut it down because the Gov is out of money and the station costs a ton. Odd to ATS so up in arms about a goverment news station being shut down. It would be one thing if it was a private channel that opposed the Greek gov but it is just the opposite.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I bet you voted for that liar Harper. Shame on you. The CBC is a national treasure.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimar

I bet you voted for that liar Harper. Shame on you. The CBC is a national treasure.

www.therecord.com...

ca.news.yahoo.com...

www2.macleans.ca...
www.cbc.ca...

www.cbc.ca...

and on and on we go.........amazing content and an amazing lack of outrage in my opinion.

Regards, Iwinder

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join