It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEF on ATS Live to Atheists: Shut Up and Go Away!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
"We get that you don't believe in God, yes you don't believe in God, if you don't believe in God that's fair enough. Why are you making a monument to tell people that you don't believe in God, 'cause that's just mirroring a monument that does believe in God. I mean, it's just silly, stop it, it's rubbish."

Really? We all know the Christians believe in a god. They don't need to broadcast it. And yet they do. What about all the ridiculous Christian or Islam threads posted in the forums? Not a word about those. Just a lot of imprecations against the atheists. We have a thousand years or more of loud mouthing to catch up to, so what's the big deal? We can't emulate the Christians? What's wrong with that? Can't handle competition?

I'm being unfair, I know. But calling this "rubbish" is the same as me looking at your bumper sticker supporting veterans and those currently serving and calling it "rubbish". It's an expression of opinion and support. It doesn't matter who put what up first.

In the spirit of this recording, I would go so far as to call the 10 commandments monument "rubbish". Hey, if the shoe fits one foot, there's one for the other too. Although I do want to make it clear that I support all religions that promote peaceful coexistence with the full availability of liberty and pursuit of happiness. I do not, however, appreciate double standards. It seems that anywhere you go in the country, as long as you "praise the Lawd", you get respect for that. If you express your atheism, all you get is hostility and confrontation. It's not safe to be an atheist in some parts of the nation or world, just as it's not safe to be white or black in other parts. And this really draws arrows to some of that attitude - "okay, you've made your rebellious opinion clear, now shut up so the smart people can have a say. Amen."

For what it's worth, I hope Nef and the others see this thread. I'm just sorry I wasn't there to catch that part of the discussion or I would have put all of this straight onto their live thread.
edit on 11-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
That was pretty pathetic really.... I kind of agree with BH.
Imagine that was another group they were talking about?

Anyway, It's ATS Live... I'm sure all 32 listeners didn't mind really.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I listened to it and just from the tone you could tell NEF was dismissive of the story and showed his true colours...oh well another reason not to listen to it.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Really? We all know the Christians believe in a god. They don't need to broadcast it. And yet they do. What about all the ridiculous Christian or Islam threads posted in the forums? Not a word about those. Just a lot of imprecations against the atheists. We have a thousand years or more of loud mouthing to catch up to, so what's the big deal? We can't emulate the Christians? What's wrong with that? Can't handle competition?

Exactly... It's about saying enough is enough, Christians have had the rule for too long, in law, society and that they just dont' stop shoving their crap in everyone's face.
I'm glad people are actively doing something to say "hey, there is another way, God is not the be all and end all" (and yes I get the irony of that)

To slate any group the way ATS Live did is ridiculous.... Just replace "American Atheists" with a minority group or whatever and then listen to the way they talk about them.

*sigh*

Oh well.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Completely agree, Iam just happy one day it will die off and leave us to strive for the stars.
Religion has had it's chance and it has failed, It is the begining of the time of the Human.
Humanity for the win !!!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

To slate any group the way ATS Live did is ridiculous.... Just replace "American Atheists" with a minority group or whatever and then listen to the way they talk about them.

Is it the same when they themselves are a part of that minority? The man already expressed that he was an atheist. I think you're implying bigotry where there is no such thing, and that would be a fallacy. This often happens when faced with criticism.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This thread is rife with butt hurt whining after a ridiculous claim of conspiracy.
And the defenders of atheism can't understand why their told to, " Shut up and go away " ?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

This thread is rife with butt hurt whining after a ridiculous claim of conspiracy.
And the defenders of atheism can't understand why their told to, " Shut up and go away " ?

Are you sure that isn't your inner Christian talking?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I think the point of contention is the "shut up and go away". For placing so much importance on decorum, they kind of treated the issue a little callously. How many atheist threads do we see, versus religious threads and woo-woo threads? Not a lot. Atheist threads are viciously outnumbered, actually. I would be tempted to say that atheism in a minority on the forum, but I don't have the statistics for that. Either way, I don't see any point in telling atheists to "shut up and go away" when they spend less time talking than almost any other group. Not to mention that when they do talk, they usually have something reasonably solid to offer in support.

That's just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Humanity for the win !!!
Like in the wild, wild west?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It's not safe to be an atheist in some part of the nation, just as it's not safe to be white or black in other parts. And this really draws arrows to some of that attitude - "okay, you've made your rebellious opinion clear, now shut up so the smart people can have a say. Amen."
Tell me did you ever heard about Inquisition?What about the Klan?What about Hitler?

Because I can see resemblance in speech.

Christians have a History.

Atheist don't.

And never will.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I think the point of contention is the "shut up and go away". For placing so much importance on decorum, they kind of treated the issue a little callously. How many atheist threads do we see, versus religious threads and woo-woo threads? Not a lot. Atheist threads are viciously outnumbered, actually. I would be tempted to say that atheism in a minority on the forum, but I don't have the statistics for that. Either way, I don't see any point in telling atheists to "shut up and go away" when they spend less time talking than almost any other group.

That's just my opinion.

Since he is an atheist, it would seem he was not telling atheists to shut up, only the religious ones. There is no reason he'd tell himself to shut up and go away. However, I see many reasons for telling fundamentalism to "shut up and go away".

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

Tell me why Christianity is dying off then? why is it's numbers dwindling off and why many are turning away from it?
edit on 11-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I think the point of contention is the "shut up and go away". For placing so much importance on decorum, they kind of treated the issue a little callously. How many atheist threads do we see, versus religious threads and woo-woo threads? Not a lot. Atheist threads are viciously outnumbered, actually. I would be tempted to say that atheism in a minority on the forum, but I don't have the statistics for that. Either way, I don't see any point in telling atheists to "shut up and go away" when they spend less time talking than almost any other group. Not to mention that when they do talk, they usually have something reasonably solid to offer in support.

That's just my opinion.

Excellent post AI ! You got right down to brass tax on that one. I was waiting for some to call out the real issue
here and I it is of manners and decorum isn't it ? Star for you.
edit on 11-6-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Tell me did you ever heard about Inquisition?What about the Klan?What about Hitler?

Because I can see resemblance in speech.

Christians have a History.

Atheist don't.

And never will.

Inquisition took an aggressive stance on behalf of the Christians. The Klan took many of its tenets from Christianity. Hitler's movement was credited, by his own words, to the grand scheme of the Christian god. If by history you mean a crazed and brutal trail of offensive tactics in the name of "God", then yes, I do agree. Atheists don't have a god to kill for.

I would like to take a moment to point out that in protesting their handling of the Atheist Monument thread, we've kinda demonstrated their point regarding our loud tendencies.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I would like to thank everyone here for an entertaining thread. Let's see if I got this straight. Someone said something on ATS Live and the members here, most of which don't listen to the show, get bent out of shape and insults fly.
I'm sorry but that's funny. Pettiness thy name is ATS.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Shut up and go away

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I would like to thank everyone here for an entertaining thread. Let's see if I got this straight. Someone said something on ATS Live and the members here, most of which don't listen to the show, get bent out of shape and insults fly. I'm sorry but that's funny. Pettiness thy name is ATS.

To be fair, not once did I throw an insult. I explained my position and feelings in the matter and then focused on individual posts. I would like to also add that there appears to be a fine line between "someone said something" and "this post has been removed for a violation of T&C's etc".

Point being, even if you don't feel particularly bothered, doesn't make it any less bothersome to those who do feel bothered. If you didn't feel bothered by the murder of a fellow man, does that make his death less wrong?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Tell me why Christianity is dying off then? why is it's numbers dwindling off and why many are turning away from it?
Because it's the time and the times for the Devil to make his game.

At first sight it looks like 100 percent he will win.

And all will believe so.

But that was his chance,which will be gone.....forever....along with the atheists.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Because it's the time and the times for the Devil to make his game.

At first sight it looks like 100 percent he will win.

And all will believe so.

But that was his chance,which will be gone.....forever....along with the atheists.

Good. Atheists are better partiers anyway.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join