It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEF on ATS Live to Atheists: Shut Up and Go Away!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Last week I did a thread entitled: Public Atheist Monument Across from 10 Commandments Naturally, I was excited to find out that it was slated for discussion on ATSLive from Neformore ATS Live: 164: Pyramids,NA Invasion,PRISM,Self Branding,Atheist,Monsanto(again!),Boats,Top 5 TV show

I haven't tuned into ATSLive before, but, I figured they would summarize the info in the OP and other posters' points of view and then discuss. That's not what happened.

Listen to the 5 minute segment here: chirb.it... I apologize that the audio is not very good. I used my computer recorder, but it's not a clear as I would like it to be. Turn the volume up.

One commentator said that atheists should just "Shut up and go away" not once, not twice, but three times in their 5 minutes review. Another commentator said that these atheists are trying to force everyone into "non-belief" and won't be happy until they do. Another said that atheists are the product of a bad experience with religion in the childhood upbringing. The commentators never mentioned the reasoning behind the atheist's monument or the writing inscribed on it.

This thread, Atheist Sunday Assembly goes worldwide, the future is bright for non-believers was also alluded to, and someone said that theses atheists were mimicking religion.

Just to be clear, I'm not an atheist. I believe in a spiritual hierarchy and reincarnation. But I don't believe in the God of the bible or in the fantastic virgin birth or the resurrection of Jesus. I have family and dear friends that are atheists and understand and respect their view points.

I align myself with organized atheism and support efforts to expose the agenda of the far religious right to interject their doctrine in legislation, public schools, doctor's offices and courtrooms. I think it's important to elevate the atheist voice to counter stereotypical conclusions that atheists are immoral, mentally ill, trouble makers, haters of religious people, etc. The religious right is notorious for trying to shame atheists into silence, and now, ATSLive has joined the bandwagon!

Atheists should be invited to come out of the closet, not told to "Shut up and go away."

I'm not saying that these commentators don't have a right to their opinions, or that their opinions are invalid. But their discussion was one sided, authoritative and, in my opinion, irrelevant to the topic of thread that they chose for ATSLive. I can only conclude, after listening to their broadcast, that ATSLive staff members want to shut atheists up. I can't think of any other reason why they chose to discuss a thread about an atheist groups' actions in a such a negative way, if that wasn't their motivation. The last thing that is said in their 5 minute discussion is "The world would be a better place with you, bugger off!"

It's a conspiracy I tell you! It's a conspiracy to shame and to silence ATS atheists and ATS pro-atheist posts and threads!
edit on 10-6-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
At the risk of drawing the OP's fire.... I'd merely suggest something. Quietly. Politely.

The staff have the right to their opinions too and it is their Op-Ed style show to voice them. They even disagree pretty energetically at times.

At the same time though? They all but beg users to call in and join the show every week. One day, I really need to on a subject that catches my interest. Perhaps you could have called in an added the other side of the issue? We can't expect them to pull punches on their own personal opinions, can we?

Again, it's constructively I say all this because it has baffled me...how few people call in, given how often they ask folks to.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Several of the members of the ATS Live crew are not religious (one even said so in your clip) and you've totally misrepresented what Nef said. Your thread title should be "Nefermore to the American Atheists: Shut up and Go Away" and you totally missed the point that he's complaining about evangelical atheists who feel the need to try and preach to everyone, just like the Fundamentalists and Evangelical Christians that he also referenced.

ATS Live doesn't hate atheists. Several of them just find evangelical atheists boring and annoying, just as most people do (and I find evangelical ANYTHING to be boring and annoying.)

ETA: A more appropriate place to put your feedback is in the show thread, not in your own thread -- it is unlikely that anyone from the show is going to just chance across it here.

edit on 10-6-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It was the first time I tuned in, and I don't have Skype know how. I tried to listen to the show live, but it's long and I missed the part where they discussed atheism and had to wait for it to hit the "Rewind" list. So, I didn't listen to the live broadcast and I wouldn't know how to call in anyway.

I understand that they are entitled to their views. But their views must have really been strong to have chosen the subject in the first place, and use it as a forum to insult atheists.

Consider this thread my "call in".

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
How ironic because Atheist's are shutting Christians up as well

Valedictorian's Mic Cut for God Mentions

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Title changed! I didn't know the names of the commentators.

Maybe I missed the point, but there's a lot misrepresentation of atheists in general in that clip.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ugh! That was hard to listen to! And I don't mean because of the volume. I tried to imagine how it would sound if they were talking about another group... say, evangelical Christians or gay people... I think it would have been seen as VERY prejudiced and bigoted. MUCH of what they said about the evangelical atheists (if that's who they were talking about) could be said of ANY religion or any group of people who has a "cause". "Christians won't be happy until EVERYONE believes in God." "Shut up and go away"!

Ugh! Everyone is entitled to their opinions, though. It's good to know what people think.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
Maybe I missed the point, but there's a lot misrepresentation of atheists in general in that clip.

Again, the story, and their reaction, was about an evangelical atheist group, the American Atheists, who put up garbage like this billboard:

Do you think that represents "Christianity," as a whole? Or a bigoted view of it?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Well I now see I haven’t missed anything by not listening to them. I am not planning on ever listening to them either. I am honestly surprised I had the impression that these guys had some common sense but seeing as how they misconstrue just about everything about atheists and the fact they chose the thread topic and never even addressed anything in it makes me wonder if these guys have any sense at all.

I don’t think it is a conspiracy it is just plain ignorance.

They have freedom of speech to show just how dumb they are.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

They definitely have a target audience in mind! And it isn't the Christian, that's for sure.

It's a little over the top. I agree. But it's a counter to this kind of thing:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

It's a little over the top. I agree. But it's a counter to this kind of thing:

... and Nef's comments were directed at the type of people who made that sign, as well. You should go back and listen to the end of your clip.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Ahhh... That makes sense. I hadn't thought about the rewind/replay of the show. Thanks for the clarification. I see what you're saying in having a lack of options for giving an opposing view. Perhaps that could be something they consider from the the thread? (opposing views.. I mean)
edit on 10-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: clarification

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I think those signs, although a little over the top, and could be insulting to Christians, are a necessary tool in getting people thinking, talking and questioning. I agree with most of what that sign says. The exception being, that I think believing Jesus to be a savior isn't worthless if it helps an individual to believe it.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Well with the sheer amount of religious people in America your going to have to understand the majority of people are going to be coming to ATS for biblical bull****.

You have to expect a "for profit" site like ATS to cater to the religious idiots because its best for their bank accounts. The same goes for nut jobs of all shapes and sizes.

If ATS was truly about Denying Ignorance they wouldn't have a conspiracy website for long.
edit on 10-6-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
Again, the story, and their reaction, was about an evangelical atheist group, the American Atheists, who put up garbage like this billboard:
...Do you think that represents "Christianity," as a whole? Or a bigoted view of it?

Thanks for posting the pic... I had not seen it (or its ilk) before. Sorry - for not reposting it...because, to me, it is repulsive. Even if I agreed with some/all of its arguments - I would count it repulsive.
It's kind of like telling someone that their children are ugly...or other derogatory remarks about their spouse or parents...
It may all be true to everyone-else...but it's NOT NICE.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I think those signs, although a little over the top, and could be insulting to Christians, are a necessary tool in getting people thinking, talking and questioning. I agree with most of what that sign says. The exception being, that I think believing Jesus to be a savior isn't worthless if it helps an individual to believe it.

So you support bigotry, so long as it's in favour of a point of view that you agree with?

That sign has nothing to do with Christianity, but rather the biased view of Christianity that the American Atheists is passing of as being representative of all Christianity, and that is bigotry.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

That sign is pretty representative of a fair amount of Christians I have come into contact with in fact I have seen signs much like the one shown by Windward on more than a few church billboards in my time. More than I care to count.

It seems anytime a Christian or Christian group does something which showing their true colors there will always be those who claim they were not proper Christians.

Like claim

That sign has nothing to do with Christianity

Even when it was made by Christians on church property. Double standard much?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
"Evangelical atheists" is kind of an oxymoron. I understand where you're coming from, however, I feel atheists have a right to speak out, even if it does seem extreme. Atheists have been oppressed, tortured, murdered etc since religion began dominating society, they have every right to speak their piece and let it be heard. The mods also have the right to voice their opinions, but it kind of goes against the ATS mantra, when you say "shut up and go away". ATS is about denying ignorance and getting to the fact of the matter. Don't sweep em under the rug, show them scrutiny and explain how their behavior can be counter productive. Sometimes it is, but more often than not is blown out of proportion.

Let them have their billboard battles. It's better than real bloodshed. People can express themselves however they see fit provided it doesn't infringe on the rights of another. If the church can do it, then atheists can do it. It just really bothers me how a church can promote the idea of non believers burning in hell, and it's perfectly fine, yet when the atheists combat it or speak their mind, it suddenly becomes an outage. It's a big double standard in today's society.
edit on 10-6-2013 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Well with the sheer amount of religious people in America your going to have to understand the majority of people are going to be coming to ATS for biblical bull****.

You have to expect a "for profit" site like ATS to cater to the religious idiots because its best for their bank accounts. The same goes for nut jobs of all shapes and sizes.

If ATS was truly about Denying Ignorance they wouldn't have a conspiracy website for long.
edit on 10-6-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

Kinda hard to discuss the topic without the deep level of insult?

For the religious and Faithful? It's pretty harsh to have the Bible called B.S. and to be termed idiots and nut jobs.

Respect goes both directions, IMHO.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
Like claim

That sign has nothing to do with Christianity

Even when it was made by Christians on church property. Double standard much?

Um...

Go back and re-read what I said. The sign that I said had nothing to do with Christianity was the "God is a sadist" American Atheists billboard. All I said about the other one is that it was no better and was also addressed by Nef's comments.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join