It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let me tell you about Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I have two sons that are college age now. But both of them loved Mac and Cheese. The youngest one would only eat that boxed crap forever. I used to try to make him pancakes with funny faces, waffles, scrambled eggs with cheese. ANYTHING!!! He would cry and glide over in his walker to the pantry and pull out the box of Kraft Mac and Cheese. When he started to walk he would toddle over.

I felt like the worst mother ever but I was more afraid of him not eating so I would serve it even for breakfast.

Who doesn't love Kraft macaroni and cheese. I still love it. Even though I am more aware of processed foods and things that just aren't good for you now. I still love the taste.

The purpose of this OP is this: Our beloved Mac and Cheese has been infiltrated by non-FDA approved wheat. Not that the approved stuff is any better. And not that the cheese packet isn't toxic in and of itself but now the pasta is toxic as well.

Take a look:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

It does irk me that anything with additives is inherently addicting. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing when coming up with recipes. Either that or many processed foods are just naturally addicting because of their high sugar and high fat contents. The body thinks it's in for a real nifty one-time treat--but it turns out the supply of high-sugar and high-fat foods are unlimited!

It can take a lot of determination to get unhooked from fast foods, junk foods, processed foods, and sugar-addled sodas.

I won't even touch upon the whole GMO thing. I have a hard time understanding what "non-approved GMOs" are about. I don't approve of any GMOs personally.

edit on 2-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
One can make a homemade mac 'n cheese in under 30 mins with fewer than 5 ingredients and have it be even more delicious then the one in the blue box.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It's a good thing that I have a tad bit of heartless in me instilled by my parents.

When my nephews and nieces don't eat what I make them, they go hungry. If they insist upon pulling something out of the cupboard after the meal is made, I'll throw it away or feed it to the animals. Yep...I'm that mean.

They eat healthy meals or none at all.

Snacks however are a treat, they can have them in moderation. After all, I have my beer at the end of the day, I won't deny them some Ice Cream.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Mac and cheese is my weakness.

Why does everything yummy have to be bad? Whyyyyyy?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I hate your avatar. Everytime I see it I have to listen to some ELO.
Hmmmmm, could be a conspiracy there, sublimal messaging maybe?

But you are right I think to a degree. It's not so much as addicting, but rather convenience. I would bet dollars to donuts (Oops!) that if the kid ddin't see the box, he wouldn't know it wasn't Kraft. Then you just wait until he's older and explain it to him.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast
One can make a homemade mac 'n cheese in under 30 mins with fewer than 5 ingredients and have it be even more delicious then the one in the blue box.

Couldnt agree with you more. Easy peasy supper, tastes better and far more good for you. I cant think of anything much easier than making a cheese sauce and boiling some pasta. I know someone will say, 'what if you dont cook', well i would say, if additives and the like mean that much to you then make your own food from scratch.
We dont have this box macaroni cheese stuff in the Uk, we do have dried pasta mixs that you add milk to, and i assume theyre a simliar thing. However, if its anything like Heinz tinned macaroni, (and im sure my brit friends will agree here), then it must be bloody awful. Ive never tasted anything so sickly and cheesy.
Slowistast, heres just one more ingredient to add to your recipe, (unless you do it already), a pinch of english mustard really adds that "wow factor", thats my favourite cringy cliche.

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

You mentioned that you would cave in and even serve it for breakfast because you did not want them to go hungry. This was the biggest mistake of all. The message you sent was that if they cried enough you would cave in and give it to them.

It is sad to see so may adults being controlled by children. Parents should set the standard not the kids.
edit on 2-6-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

We have some friends like that. You and I don't subscribe to the same child rearing philosophy.

When I was a kid I was treated like that. One time I was forced to drink my orange juice and I puked. I still can't drink orange juice to this day. I never made my kids eat stuff they didn't like. I am not all about you have to clean your plate.

Do you make them be quiet at the dinner table too?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Well, I must be the worst mother in the world then. Just curious, do you have kids?

And it wasn't both boys, it was my baby.
edit on 2-6-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

It's not so much as addicting, but rather convenience.

I respectfully disagree. Food is more or less a biochemical addiction. It gets endorphins pumping even before digestion has begun! The mere sight of food literally makes people salivate. And I think these packaged food companies know how to get people hooked. (Maybe it's just my tin-foil hat kicking in)

Let's watch the vid and see:

I hate your avatar. Everytime I see it I have to listen to some ELO.

Thanks
Here's some Fire On High for ya! www.youtube.com...

edit on 2-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

That kid never controlled me. Please. My kids were picky eaters, I used to worry that they weren't going to live until the doctor told me not to trip. They both grew up to be athletes. And very healthy I might add. The youngest though, will still not eat broccoli.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
it is almost impossible to avoid junk in food now it is in the basic ingrediants of everything / milk wheat etc etc .

even bottled water has aspartame in it
grow your own or be a mushroom ?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I only eat Annie's Mac & Cheese, have for years now. And it is organic and yum yum yummy makes me want some right now!

Only thing I still like that comes in a box otherwise we eat pretty natural stuff our of our garden or at the community garden.
edit on 2-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Ummmm…for some people yes. But even though I may be a Dawg, I ain’t Pavlov’s.
I will admit to being lured to BK or any other fast food joint, but have managed to stay away from them for quite awhile. I just tell myself, I have food at home.

I would say that it is a trained reaction, just like Pavlov's dogs. At least here in the U.S. convenience equates to instant gratification...a full belly. Plus it's constantly in the media further fueling the desire.

Thanks for the link...great, just what I need, a trip down memory lane.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by billdadobbie

OT but i love your avatar. I used that one for a fantasy football team I had a couple of years back.

But yeah, you are right. Our meat has hormones in it, our produce if it is not gmo has toxic chemicals on it. And you have to be rich to eat organic and grass fed. What are ya gonna do?

We are not even gonna bring up Fukashima and the strawberries and leaf vegetables that are grown in the Central Valley here in California. Or the fish at your local sushi restaurant.

Well, I try to stay away from the fluoride by drinking bottled water. What is a girl to do?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail

We have some friends like that. You and I don't subscribe to the same child rearing philosophy.

When I was a kid I was treated like that. One time I was forced to drink my orange juice and I puked. I still can't drink orange juice to this day. I never made my kids eat stuff they didn't like. I am not all about you have to clean your plate.

Do you make them be quiet at the dinner table too?

My dad did that to me with Oriental food. Couldn't stand to look at it until I was in my mid-20's. Then one drunken night, a Korean restaurant was the only place open and in we went. Long story short, I succumbed to peer pressure and ate all sorts of nasty, but tasty things. I love Oriental food now.

And no, I encourage conversation at the table. My Dad did as well.

After he saw me puke the Chop Suey up, he never fed it to us again (I didn't get to bed until after midnite that night). That was proof enough for him. but he still demanded proof that we didn't like what we were eating.
The never having tried it, and saying you didn't like it thing was not good enough for him.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail

Well, I must be the worst mother in the world then. Just curious, do you have kids?

And it wasn't both boys, it was my baby.
edit on 2-6-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

I meant no offense and you never know people until you can walk in there shoes. I do however believe many parents today cater to there children way to much the progressive mindset has taken over. I call it the everybody wins generation.

What has this lead to? Look around and you will see many adult children I call them never leaving the home. They are stuck in there teenage years.

And just for the record my statement is made in the general sense. I have no idea what kind of parent you are.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Kraft Macaroni & Cheese should not be in anyone's pantry if you ask me... GMO or not.

Still, people are zombies and even if they know aspartame and GMOs are bad for you, they continuously buy the products and consume them. "Yeah I know it's bad, but I like the taste" they say, brainwash I say.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Maybe mothers are more sensitive than dads. I raised my boys as a single mother. I loved every second of it even though it was hard. I never made them choke down something they didn't like.

Today when they both visit and want different things, I cook both. I don't care. I am a sucker for their smiles.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join