It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let me tell you about Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

The youngest though, will still not eat broccoli.

Put it on a stick and deep fry it like Twinkies. Americans can't turn down anything deep fried and on a stick.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalphon

Originally posted by abeverage
I only eat Annie's Mac & Cheese, have for years now. And it is organic and yum yum yummy makes me want some right now!

Only thing I still like that comes in a box otherwise we eat pretty natural stuff our of our garden or at the community garden.
edit on 2-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

The gluten free Annie's is awesome.

I could overeat on the K mac stuff and get a food zinger (you know that cheap thrill feeling from eating those chemicals). As a kid I was addicted to the stuff too. Couldn't get more nutritionally questionable unless you put chunks of hotdogs in it. In hindsight, it's practically junk food, and kids aren't nutritionists.
edit on 2-6-2013 by Sandalphon because: did I mention it was junk food?

Yes hotdog bits! I mix a little beef if I am feeling anemic or turkey and make a meal out of it. Speaking of which Monday is my Mac day! YAY!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by FidelityMusic

Velveeta?
I'm the god of velveeta honey!

edit on 6/3/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

YAY!!!! Phage made a funny

And it was really funny, actually...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It's interesting how parents always paint themselves and their children with the hero brush.

"My kids are athletes."

"My kids are geniuses."

"My kids are music/art prodigies."

"My kids were never juvenile delinquents." I wonder where all those juvenile delinquents come from?

Anyone who feeds their little athletic, juvenile delinquent mac & cheese because it won't eat anything else is a lousy mother. Mommy wasn't in charge.

Anyone who'd bring that stuff in the house isn't fit to have children.
edit on 6/3/2013 by suz62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by suz62

Pardon me, while I do not personally know you, nor do I know the OP, I feel you are being a bit over the top with your criticisms. She is not an unfit mother because of a box of Mac and cheese. It may not be how most of us run our homes, but it's hardly grounds for child endangerment. Take a deep breath, you'll be okay.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by suz62

Delete. Double post.
edit on 3-6-2013 by B1rd1nFL1ghT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I love the difference between the USA and UK version!!! Classic money saving at the expense of the loyal addicted customer.

This is directly comparable to drug dealers getting people hooked on "the good stuff" and then cutting it with more and more additives at such a slow rate the customer fails to notice the drop in quality.

Only in this case, taste = potency, the drug dealer = gov/business the sucker on the end is the same however.

Business want to save money by having longer shelf lives and cheaper ingredients. Look at what % of NON food stuff is allowed into burgers in the USA - thats right materials literally described as non food stuff and I am not talking about a splash of preservatives here.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by B1rd1nFL1ghT

Oh man, makes me wish I had a record player to play my original vinyl copy...

On topic: It does not surprise me that a. Kraft Mac and Cheese has such a thing in it and b. that GM wheat is being found in wheat fields. Plant reproduction basically makes it so that the genetic information from one plant basically gets spliced to another. All Monsanto had to do was grow some of the stuff and those GM traits would've been spread to other fields via pollinators. If it's all throughout the crops already, what's the point of outlawing it, eh?

In regards to Kraft, they've most likely been cutting extreme corners on their foods for some time. We don't do Kraft at all, including its very sizable list of subsidiaries. The primary reason for this is their aggressive cost cutting on something so pertinent to well being as food. Kraft is not food. Period. www.businessweek.com...

We do Annies, too, for our mac and cheese fix. Took a bit for the transition to take as there did seem to be an addictive element to the Kraft version. My kids now call it "Krack Mac n Cheese".

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
STFU and eat what's on your plate, you don't like it...Go buy your own food and cook it! That simple at my house.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

Well then, indulge us. What do youput on the plate?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by suz62

That's a bit harsh.But you're not entirely wrong. Could have worded it a bit better though.

Growing up I ate what I was fed.My parents didn't cater to what I wanted.

If I didn't eat it I went hungry.And I stick by that philosophy with my daughter now.She learned real quick that Dad isn't going to give in to what she wants to eat.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by TDawgRex

We have some friends like that. You and I don't subscribe to the same child rearing philosophy.

When I was a kid I was treated like that. One time I was forced to drink my orange juice and I puked. I still can't drink orange juice to this day. I never made my kids eat stuff they didn't like. I am not all about you have to clean your plate.

Do you make them be quiet at the dinner table too?

kids would eat only crap at a young age if you let them eat anything they want. the desire for any type of sweet or fatty food products is high at that age. they have a childlike understanding why it would be bad to eat fats and sweets every day...that's why they are children and you are the parent! jesus!!!....I fed them what was cooked and if they didn't like it, they didn't eat, period.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I hate your avatar. Everytime I see it I have to listen to some ELO.
Hmmmmm, could be a conspiracy there, sublimal messaging maybe?

But you are right I think to a degree. It's not so much as addicting, but rather convenience. I would bet dollars to donuts (Oops!) that if the kid ddin't see the box, he wouldn't know it wasn't Kraft. Then you just wait until he's older and explain it to him.

If we don't bring something home no one even notices it is not there. A good parent will shop right in the first place.

By the way I notice a lot of the ingredients are simply the ingredients listed separately for what you get in cheese's of certain types and macaroni enriched with vitamins, same as what you buy to make at home. (please look at your cheese label)

Letting your child eat anything they want in my opinion is lazy parenting, parents who let the kids tell them what to buy in the grocery store and who don't have the courage to say no might as well let the kids do the shopping.

Making sure your child eats at least some of the greens and things they may not like is essential and it teaches love of those items later not hate.
We all love the things we eat as children. My kids LEARNED to love peas and salad and brussels sprouts. They were given 2 cookies with their milk for snack not the package or the pan when homemade. They have never had a weight problem and they have always been healthy.

Could someone please point out the horrible part of the ingredients? So we can be clear?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by Dominar

Back in the day dude people didn't know that stuff was bad. There was no internet. I have learned more in the last 15 years than I did through out the 20 something years prior. I didn't say I am feeding it to them now. One just graduated college and one is going into his sophomore year. But I betcha if you looked in there cupboards you would find a blue box.

People always knew it was more on the junk food side, just a matter of reading the tiny print on the box. Not that it is inherently bad for a person, but it shouldn't be a primary food source due mainly to the salt content.

People crave sugar and salt. Macaroni and cheese is salty.
edit on 3-6-2013 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by deessell

Ok, my pleasure. you see, I'm a ex Canadian military cook so the menu at home is on a 4 week roation and seasonal rotation.

Summer/ Fall 1:

Monday: Salmon steak on the BBQ with Chef's salad
Tuesday: Home made Shawarma
Wednesday: Tacos
Thursday: Bakes Sole fillet ( Choice of toping or flavor) and rice pilaf
Friday: BBQ steak w/ montreal steak spices and bakes potato
( Weekends are " Eat what you want" ) or left overs.

Week 2:
Monday: Spaghetti and meat sauce au grattin 9 Topping, onions, olives, baon and cheese) w/ garlic bread
Tuesday: Chicken stir fry
Wednesday: Home made PHO ( Thai soup )
Thursday: Club sandwich and Cesar salad
Friday: Call out for pizza

Week 3:
Monday: Chicken breast on the BBQ w/ spinach salad.
Tuesday: Pork chops on the BBQ with sauted little red potatoes with chease sauce
Wednesday: Hamburger on the BBQ with three leaf salad
Thursday: " Pig out on hot dogs" ( we get the all natural hotdogs )
Friday: Chicken fried rice.

Week 4:
Monday: Home made poutine
Tuesday: Cajun Tuna steaks on the BBQ with BBQ'ed asparagus
Wednesday: Stuffed chicken breast ( Spinach and swiss cheese with white wine sauce)
Thursday: Salmon steaks, either BBQ or oven baked with a salad
Friday: Take out...Kid's choice.

Sping/winter menu:

We will cook uip roast beef, roast pork, meatloaf, baked chicken, salmon and tuna. We use the ove more duyring the colder months.

Deserts are mostly all home made not to say that we don't purchase the ready made stuff, trust me I love my Oreo cookies and ice cream but we do most of our cooking from scratch.

Kids have a great choice of food so their is not need for them to "lift their nozes" at the dinner plates.

PS...We have 4 teenagers at home 2 boys, 17 and 12 and two girld, 15 and 14.....The only thing ONE of the boys can't eat...Cooked carrots...Humm...don't ask me or him why....He just can't, makes him puke....lol
edit on 3-6-2013 by Nuke2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I loved that song when my parents used to play it (although, I had absolutely NO earthly idea what that dude was mumbling about, it sounded so awesome!) The velveta comment was a real pisser!

I don't buy that kind of stuff. And I haven't eaten any of that kind of stuff since I was maybe 6 or 7? I don't remember liking it a whole lot back then either, but my friends did.

My kids like me to make homemade Mac and cheese, but honestly it's still just as unhealthy (in my opinion). It's still butt-plugging cheese and pasta ~ gross! How can anything like that be good for you, regardless of the GMO Kraft issue?

That's why they only get it in moderation. They also swim and run their little butts off (like normals kids) instead of playing video games all day. I don't subscribe to the idea of bubble wrapping my children from every single little thing that may or may not "get" them. There is a middle ground.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Personally, I agree with you. As a mother, it is our job to not only ensure our child's health and nutrition, but to also encourage healthy eating habits in their future. But I think some people have become overly critical to the OP while trying to make their point.

Getting your picky eater in the kitchen with you to help prepare healthy meals will work wonders at the dinner table. Also, kids love to dig in the dirt, so let them grow their own! Sometimes you just need to get creative and do a little trial and error.

Don't let your food issues be their food issues. I see the topic of food typically getting heated up on ATS and I ask myself why that is. There seems to be a general concern in the health and wellness area as well. Stay healthy ATS! Eat raw fresh fruits and veggies, beans and nuts , get some exercise and laugh a lot with friends. And love love love! That's it really.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Don't worry I know you love your kids. There are so many pathways of parenting. Who can say what's best? Trying to attain perfection is just silly to even talk about. You're 1,000% better than MOST parents I've seen. Maybe when they get older you will talk about this and laugh about it together and by then maybe they will be a health food nut. Because then they will have the knowledge to choose for themselves. Now all they know is what tastes good.

And BECAUSE that's all they know...if this little issue becomes a concern, there ARE ways you can make Mac n cheese NOT taste good... Maybe a little Tobasco...or something. I dunno... And just throw up your hands and say gosh I dunno,.they changed it and its not the same anymore... Well, I can try some homemade and see if I can make that taste the same. And then do so... Get a package of elbow noodles, and find yourself a good recipe online.

There was an awesome one I saw on tv that 3-6 mafia members used in a competition, it might be called Memphis style Mac.n Cheese, and it had bits of rib meat in it.

Keep up the good work, and remember love is THE most important thing. And you got that down. But just consider being less critical of other people's methods, now that I'm sure you've been shown yours is not perfect either. And consider whether your desire to see them smile is partly out of selfishness. Just something to think about but you're really doing fine so its nothing to even worry about. Think about/worry about, theyre two different things
Take care.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by B1rd1nFL1ghT
reply to post by Char-Lee

Personally, I agree with you. As a mother, it is our job to not only ensure our child's health and nutrition, but to also encourage healthy eating habits in their future. But I think some people have become overly critical to the OP while trying to make their point.

Getting your picky eater in the kitchen with you to help prepare healthy meals will work wonders at the dinner table. Also, kids love to dig in the dirt, so let them grow their own! Sometimes you just need to get creative and do a little trial and error.

Don't let your food issues be their food issues. I see the topic of food typically getting heated up on ATS and I ask myself why that is. There seems to be a general concern in the health and wellness area as well. Stay healthy ATS! Eat raw fresh fruits and veggies, beans and nuts , get some exercise and laugh a lot with friends. And love love love! That's it really.

All true.

Also, kids love to dig in the dirt, so let them grow their own!

Great idea there.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Well its a proven fact that the processed high fat foods produce chemicals in the brain that bind with the cannabiniod receptors in the brain..........by definition that would make them at least slightly addictive.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join