It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let me tell you about Kraft Macaroni and Cheese

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Not one of my girlfriends liked my cooking...mainly because their kids liked mine better. That often pissed them off.

Jealosy raises it's ugly head again.

But I was raised by a single Dad for quite a bit, so we all had to learn to cook.
edit on 2-6-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a leeetle ETA

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
reply to post by TDawgRex

Im really suprised none of us have been told of for going off topic yet.

Little tip, dont put the garlic in straight away, stirfry the broccoli for a few minutes first, then add the garlic, otherwise it will burn.

Could be that issue has been addressed already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And we are learning (well, I am anyways) tips on to make something better that was previously not well recieved by the old taste buds.

We should always be learning from one another, isn't that the reason we are all here. Even if it's a recipe or two or a good chuckle from time to time?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by jiggerj

Where is the Frito-Lay Bean Dip??

Let's go large

Where were you last week?? I ate a large bag all by myself. Darn things are addictive!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by StarsInDust

I know I am off topic...again but I just had to comment.

We know longer live in the day where children should be seen and not heard. Who came up with that in the first place. Oh yea, those bastages that were stuffing canned spinach down our throats.

Thankfully, at least in this part of the country, people realize the precious souls that children are. This could be a theme of a whole different thread.

Back on topic. The best thing to do if you are a young parent is not to ever introduce Kraft Mac and Cheese into your children's diet. You will thank me later.

edit on 2-6-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

reply to post by StarsInDust

I know I am off topic...again but I just had to comment.

We know longer live in the day where children should be seen and not heard. Who came up with that in the first place. Oh yea, those bastages that were stuffing canned spinach down our throats.

Thankfully, at least in this part of the country, people realize the precious souls that children are. This could be a theme of a whole different thread.

As far as I am concerned, you are still on topic. Eating healthy and raising children. Both are relevent, especially when taken together. This is not only about Kraft Mac&Cheese, even though that was the title.

And thanks for reminding me, I can't stand canned spinach either, though I love the raw stuff. Just another oddity from my bizarro tastebuds.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

Let's go large

Where were you last week?? I ate a large bag all by myself. Darn things are addictive!

And even though you're what? 25?

You look like Walter Matthau.
This is what we would call a indictator!

Joking, just joking!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

Let's go large

And even though you're what? 25?

You look like Walter Matthau.
This is what we would call a indictator!

Joking, just joking!

That is funny!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
As kids, we ate what there was. If you liked it, great. If you didn't like it, tough beans. You were at least going to eat SOME of it.

We were introduced to something new at least once a week. If Mom or Dad ran across something challenging, we got it. From kimchee to hollandaise sauce.

When we got old enough to do it, the cooking chores were turned over to us, and we continued making something new and occasionally disgusting once a week, but everyone got to eat some of it.

I ended up with a really eclectic palate, and no pickiness. Not like some of my brother's kids who had phases where they would only eat a certain flavor of pizza from a certain place. My god, if I'd tried that I'd have had a fat lip.

About the only thing I can't abide are peaches and boiled okra. I'll eat it, but not much of it.

As far as mac and cheese, it is from Satan, as is spaghetti, or other mainly pasta dishes.

Here's you an experiment. Next time you eat you a big bait of mac and cheese, give it about 30 minutes and notice how you feel. Notice how drowsy and unmotivated you are, how tough it is to get up and move, how hard it is to concentrate. It's filling, and cheap, and reduces your IQ about 30 points. I had to cut that crap out of my life in college.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
I only eat Annie's Mac & Cheese, have for years now. And it is organic and yum yum yummy makes me want some right now!

Only thing I still like that comes in a box otherwise we eat pretty natural stuff our of our garden or at the community garden.
edit on 2-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

The gluten free Annie's is awesome.

I could overeat on the K mac stuff and get a food zinger (you know that cheap thrill feeling from eating those chemicals). As a kid I was addicted to the stuff too. Couldn't get more nutritionally questionable unless you put chunks of hotdogs in it. In hindsight, it's practically junk food, and kids aren't nutritionists.
edit on 2-6-2013 by Sandalphon because: did I mention it was junk food?

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It used to be that Kraft Macaroni and Cheese was kind of just a filler. It had some yellow dies that people had allergies to but if you didn't have an allergy to them or the gluten you could tolerate it. I'm not saying it really had any nutrition value but it did supply some glutamates to keep you happy. This new finding may make it bad for everyone. I am pretty sure that the changes they are making to the plants defense system of GMO foods will definitely have negative long term effects on most people. It is almost as if they are trying to make people sick or die. Another product to ban from my diet.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

It's great to teach kids to cook themselves - obviously not 2 year olds.

My son growing up would be the "food of the month" - when I worked, he could cook for himself (13 years old) and it was for a month he would eat tuna and noodles, then spaghetti with meat sauce, then hamburgers cooked as a grilled cheese/hamburger - we always had food in the fridge and cupboards.

He's 30 now, when I visit his house, he has more variety of foods than I do - fruit, veggies, meat, ect.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

I'm addicted to Kraft and mac.

also

Velvetta

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I used to love Kraft Mac n' Cheese, until I was introduced to Kraft Velveeta. -_-
edit on 3-6-2013 by FidelityMusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

Velveeta?
I'm the god of velveeta honey!

edit on 6/3/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

Originally posted by slowisfast
One can make a homemade mac 'n cheese in under 30 mins with fewer than 5 ingredients and have it be even more delicious then the one in the blue box.

Couldnt agree with you more. Easy peasy supper, tastes better and far more good for you. I cant think of anything much easier than making a cheese sauce and boiling some pasta. I know someone will say, 'what if you dont cook', well i would say, if additives and the like mean that much to you then make your own food from scratch.
We dont have this box macaroni cheese stuff in the Uk, we do have dried pasta mixs that you add milk to, and i assume theyre a simliar thing. However, if its anything like Heinz tinned macaroni, (and im sure my brit friends will agree here), then it must be bloody awful. Ive never tasted anything so sickly and cheesy.
Slowistast, heres just one more ingredient to add to your recipe, (unless you do it already), a pinch of english mustard really adds that "wow factor", thats my favourite cringy cliche.

Funnily enough we DO have it now in the UK. OoOh yes, it's cropped up in all it's blue boxed glory in some of those pound shops and discount stores that have popped up everywhere. Messes with my head a little since previously you had to take out a mortgage to get the stuff from the US.

Anyhoo, I was intrigued enough to finally try a box of this legendary stuff and errrrmagerd was it a let down. The bloody stuff literally tasted like chemicals and salt. I nearly had a heart attack just looking at it.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

I do not think it is about making or forcing someone to eat what they do not like, it is about not allowing a child to force you to feed them the ONE and ONLY thing they are willing to eat because of an unhealthy and unnatural addiction to additives and preservatives and the like.

I know of a child that was absolutely failing in school and diagnosed with ADHD, this is the same child that was allowed to eat ONLY what he wanted and LIKED.... which was bread and cheese. At the point his parents were told that he was ADHD, they being totally opposed to medicating a child with "Methamphetamines, or Adderal" as most children (and FAR FAR TOO many adults) are prescribed, IMHO....they changed his diet. He was made to eat a vegetable and a meat with each meal.

He was miraculously healed of his ADHD, and was able to focus ...improve his grades... and to say the least I can testify to the fact his skin color no longer appeared as though he ate GLUE day and night. I mean seriously people, do you not realize that the garbage we are being fed by the producers of all of these boxed dinners don't have some type of affect on our mental and physical well being overall? Doesn't it make sense that the FOOD industry and Big PHARMA might possibly NOT GIVE A CRAP about us????? Is it too far fetched to consider that MONEY really is the ROOT of all evil and as long as they are making a TON OF IT, they can care less what kind of screwed up and twisted generation they are actually helping to create?

So, if for some reason I try and force my kid to eat a well rounded meal, by DENYING him some garbage we all know looks like something completely Non food like, and possibly pissing them off by forcing them to puke a broccoli floret up and then maybe NEVER eating one again, so be it! But the least the rest of us can do, is not speak to each other like we're abusing our children by doing it! If the worst thing that ever happened to you growing up was you had a parent that tried to make sure you had enough to eat each day, and that these meals consisted of fruits and vegetables as well as juice... THANK GOD! Because, almost each and every day I read the news or watch the TV I hear of some of the most horrific stories of ABUSE and NEGLECT, none of which consist of someone forcing a child to clean their plate.

Sorry, but this is just how I feel about the subject and at the same time I understand being forced to eat or drink something you absolutely cannot stomach can be rather traumatic, all I'm saying is C'mon...it could have been worse, and this is absolutely no reason to give up trying to make a child you are responsible for EAT HEALTHY!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

But yeah, you are right. Our meat has hormones in it, our produce if it is not gmo has toxic chemicals on it. And you have to be rich to eat organic and grass fed.

Now see I hear this a lot. Granted, being in Canada I can eat my beef and know bgh never touched it, it's banned here. but as for the other produce and products, I find it hard to believe that you can't find this stuff, or you "have to be rich" to afford it. Maybe in California that rings true, it sure as hell doesn't elsewhere.

I've been doing the local, non gmo, organic thing for awhile now, and have also moved over into growing as much at home as I can. Here's an example of how "unaffordable" a trip to the local farmers market can be:

Farm fresh free range eggs= 5$ a dozen
Non fresh, god only knows how they were grown, supermarket eggs? = 5$ a dozen :/

Bacon, naturally smoked, fresh, no antibiotics grain feed pigs = 5$ a pound
God only knows where it came from supermarket bacon = 6-7 $ a pound

A single head of romaine lettuce = 4$ (mind you, it's about 4 pounds of lettuce, couldn't even fit it in the fridge)
Same thing at the store, 4$ cept it's about the size of a shoe and already going brown.

I guess it really depends on where you live, if you live in a place where healthy eating is sort of a "clique" market, yeah, don't expect to save any money. But that's the thing, it's mostly marketing. Good, natural produce, looks like crap. The colors aren't "vivid" always, the shape isn't perfectly uniform. Many small farms here thankfully still produce heirloom products, using naturally produced seeds from their crops each season, no monsanto lawyers here thankfully.

Heck, you can even regrow a lot of stuff you might not even know about. Lettuce? Chop off the bottom stalk and place that in water, it will grow more lettuce. Onions? Take the top half you cut off and replant it, you'll get green onions. I think you can even regrow mushrooms but don't quote me there, i haven't done that one yet. Pineapple is another but it takes like a year lol.

It's no surprise to me that a simple product like pasta and cheese sauce would vary in ingredients between the Us market and others. There's a few reasons.

The UK and Canadian food inspection agencies are government run, and answer to us, the people, not the companies they are inspecting. Our government has not given former CEOs of those companies government positions overseeing the very industry they are/were part of.

In most countries, a product has to be proven to be safe before it can be sold. In the US, it's approved, on the shelves and the actual "approval" process is left to you, the uninformed user who ends up havinig to join a class action lawsuit. That's how you find out american products are unsafe, when enough people die so they can't bury the story anymore. Roundup resistant crops. The ones quite possibly giving you bone cancer. The ones quite possibly killing off the honeybees REQUIRED to sustain our food system globally... they are banned in most countries because of the risks and dangers they pose.

In the US, not only are they legal, if you fail to use them, Monsanto will come test your farm then sue you because the crops have already pollinated into the wild and there's no stopping them from spreading.

I can't eat KD. I can't. Did it once as a kid, loved it, stomach flu on the other hand, rejected it fast, and I can't even smell the stuff now. But I'm at a point in my life where I find it important to read labels, and reading the KD label ensures it will never enter my intestinal track again, ever. If it's even left.

I can't even eat oranges anymore. I love oranges. I love orange juice. My wife and I would go through two dozen oranges or more a week, juicing them in the morning, eating them for snacks.

UNTIL....

I realized, all of these oranges are coming from the US, every single one of them. Do you know all of the steps of orange production? I doubt you do.

Step 1 grow a tree, wait for it to fruit
Step 2 pick the oranges
Step 4 sell the oranges

Wait, you said, Phishybongwaters you can't count, that's only 3 steps, but you have 4, where is the missing step #3?

Oh, I'm sorry, how silly of me to forget the step where they INJECT THE ORANGES WITH DYES TO MAKE THEM MORE APPEALING. Oh, and these dyes may leech into the orange and may not, no one knows, cause the FDA didn't feel the need to test it. Oh, and the dyes might be carcinogenic. Yay for oranges.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

Doesn't it make sense that the FOOD industry and Big PHARMA might possibly NOT GIVE A CRAP about us????? Is it too far fetched to consider that MONEY really is the ROOT of all evil and as long as they are making a TON OF IT, they can care less what kind of screwed up and twisted generation they are actually helping to create?

You figured it out. But you made a mistake, you publicly admitted you figured it out, your days are numbered now, this secret must be held.

Companies don't care and neither do governments. Why? BEcause you are worth possibly more to them dead than alive to begin with... and secondly, there's 3 replacement humans waiting to take you place the instant you check out.

Our lives only have meaning to US, the ones living them. We are a source of income to the rest, and when we die, even from direct results of using their products, it matters not, there is another kid being raised on mcdonalds and kraft dinner ready to take your place.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

It does irk me that anything with additives is inherently addicting. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing when coming up with recipes. Either that or many processed foods are just naturally addicting because of their high sugar and high fat contents. The body thinks it's in for a real nifty one-time treat--but it turns out the supply of high-sugar and high-fat foods are unlimited!

It can take a lot of determination to get unhooked from fast foods, junk foods, processed foods, and sugar-addled sodas.

I won't even touch upon the whole GMO thing. I have a hard time understanding what "non-approved GMOs" are about. I don't approve of any GMOs personally.

edit on 2-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

Very astute. The potential for addictive chemicals to be added to these foods is a clear and present danger. We already know that it is not beyond the food industry to try something so underhanded, remember when Coca-cola was laced with coc aine to keep the user coming back for more? I am certain they do the same with pet foods now since my dog does the same thing as the posters son, goes to the cupboard and tries to get the can food himself and acts disturbed if he doesn't get it immediately...just like a junkie. I suppose in modern times the food industry has learned to add their addictive additives subtly and so they are not as likely to be found out. All they need to do is claim ignorance if it is ever pointed out. I can hear them now, we have blind tests that show that chemical is safe. The food industry will not go down without a fight. Look how hard it is to get them to change the Kraft recipe so questionable additives are omitted here in the USA. They won't do it. That's arrogance.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

It is sad to see so may adults being controlled by children. Parents should set the standard not the kids.

Your quote here says it all....if I could give you 50+ stars I would just for what you said....actually....

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join