It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Poll Shows 85% of Brits Want to Repeal the Ban on Hand Guns

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
There are lots of polls online where Americans have voted for tougher gun laws, i guess that means Americans want to give up their guns?

www.pollingreport.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Errant post
edit on 2-6-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Errant post

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Proof is in the puddin'

I work a service industry job that deals with the public on the American front line of this issue; in the stink and grit of a major intersection of interstate freeway.

Iv'e seen more than my share of self centered and threatening attitudes, than I can relate here; and I can tell you that not knowing if a law abiding citizen is carrying a deadly weapon or not has placed a major deterrent in the minds of would be street criminals.

Our state recently loosened up our carry laws so's a man can carry a gun if he wants, concealed without need of a permit, an lemme tell ya brother; in all the years Iv'e done this job I have never seen folks behave more respectfully, and would be trouble makers hold their threats, than I have since the laws changed.

I don't carry, but I see the look of uncertainty in the eyes of the would be trouble makers, thugs and thieves.
Because now...they don't know... if I'm packin er not...

Bottom line is, there is more "respect" afoot in these streets than Iv'e seen in a good few years...

I hope you folks do get your gun rights back. From what Iv'e heard, your knife crimes have skyrocketed, and the terror brought on by those crimes is far worse than any shooting if you ask me...
edit on 2-6-2013 by Khurzon because: final word

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sajuek

I trust myself with a gun - just not anybody else.

Maybe you should run for office.

You sound just like most of the elitist gun grabbing politicians in the US.

edit on 2-6-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DeeKlassified

Do you realise that data is from 2003, like 10 years out of date? Do you have the same chart for 2012?

Sure, I have more recent figures.

How about this graph?

It seems the trend continues!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DeeKlassified

As far as stats go, crime is on the increase in the US, prison population is on the increase in the USA, so it seems guns are not a deterrent, neither are the ridiculously long sentences in the USA a deterrent.

That’s absolutely factually inaccurate (intentionally I presume).

Crime in the US has been on a steady decrease for decades.

On the other hand, UK is has much more violent crime than its EU neighbors and seems to be on the increase.

Pot meet kettle.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!!!! What part of "there are local, regional and cultural issues seprate from the USA" dont you understand!

The UK is diffrent from the USA.

Or biggest CAUSE of crime is due to miss use of Alcahol and Youth Crime.

Guns are not going tp prevent 2 drunken louts from knifeing each other. Nor will it help with the youth crime.

DONT YOU GET IT! You are talking about a country and problems YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!

Have you even been to the UK? Even so have you even lived here for more than a few week? No? Are you a expert on English Culture? NO? then you know nothing!

Dont you get the fact the whole world is not the USA nor does it want to be? That every where has diffrent cultures and problems? And what works for one area may not work in another? And what cause problems in one area may not cause problem in another? Are you that insular and Xenophobic you cant understand that?

And by the way our Muder rate is 13th and if you look it up its 1/4 of that in the USA. so if you are going to pull up statsat least use them right.

edit on 2-6-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!!!! What part of "there are local, regional and cultural issues seprate from the USA" dont you understand!

So what?

The UK is diffrent from the USA.

I know!

DONT YOU GET IT! You are talking about a country and problems YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!

Have you even been to the UK? Even so have you even lived here for more than a few week? No? Are you a expert on English Culture? NO? then you know nothing!

I know enough; the stats speak for themselves. I don’t have to live there (nor do I want to). This post was just taking a look at the number of your citizens who DO want to repeal the nanny-state gun laws you have. I didn't expect everyone to agree. In fact, I didn't expect ANYONE from UK on ATS to agree, so I'm pleasantly surprised by some of the responses.

Don’t get your knickers in a pinch, chap!

And by the way our Muder rate is 13th and if you look it up its 1/4 of that in the USA. so if you are going to pull up statsat least use them right.

It’s ¼ of the US yet our population is 5 times bigger…exactly.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Ok Sea bag violent crime in Detroit is 2,137.4 per 100,000
en.wikipedia.org...

So shall I blame it all on guns ? Not enough guns?

Or shall I use some intelligance and take in to acount the local issue such as economic decline?

Useing you way of thinking no its all about gunzzzz

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Ok Sea bag violent crime in Detroit is 2,137.4 per 100,000
en.wikipedia.org...

So shall I blame it all on guns ? Not enough guns?

Or shall I use some intelligance and take in to acount the local issue such as economic decline?

Useing you way of thinking no its all about gunzzzz

I’m glad you brought that up. The VAST MAJORITY of violent crime in US is in our largest urban areas. Those areas have the STRICTEST GUN LAWS!!

The rural areas with fewer restrictions have far less violent crime. Thanks for inadvertently helping my argument. We make a good team!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

BS

As that rate is calutated into ratios of muder per 100,000.

So its irrevevent of population.
If a country has a population of 1 million and has a muder rate of 100 per 100,000
That means you have a 0.1% chance of being mudered.
And overall 1000 will end up dead.

If that population is 4 Million and the muder rate is the same then you still have a 0.1% of ending up murderd but
Instead at the end of the day 4000 will end up dead.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I’m glad you brought that up. The VAST MAJORITY of violent crime in US is in our largest urban areas. Those areas have the STRICTEST GUN LAWS!!

The rural areas with fewer restrictions have far less violent crime. Thanks for inadvertently helping my argument. We make a good team!

So we complety ignore any other factors then?

DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH

That why you are getting so many school shootings idoits seem to be makeing all about the guns and not focusing on the root cause of the problem that probaly has nothing to do with guns at all!

Just back off and stop starting threads on matter about another country you know feck all about.

And no the stats dont mean anything beacuse:

1) The telegraph pole could have been hjacked by anyone as it was not confined to the UK. for all I know you voted on it.

2) You dont seem to understand stats and how to use them as you complety failed to understand that rates are calucalted to take into account population.

3) You complety ignore local and cultural factors that could be contributing to crime.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Here is the bottom line…>

Should people be allowed to defend their life with a firearm or should people rely on police and government to protect them?

I believe everyone should be allowed to protect their own life…it stems from a concept that most responsible adults have – Self-reliance! The beauty of allowing gun ownership is that it gives law abiding citizens the ability to make that choice for themselves as it should be!

If you’re part of that crowd that looks to government to handle all of your problems and wipe your butt for you that’s fine. But who are you to take that choice away from others??

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Oh dear, another clueless American OP failing to grasp how irrelevant such a poll and said specific newspaper is.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Total Votes: 18,000
Population 62 million...

Erm, I don't think this poll counts as 85% of Brits... In the slightest.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

reply to post by seabag

No, not exactly, you can't honestly be using this poster's baseless estimate to prove your point?

The US murder rate is far higher than that of the UK. Population size is irrelevant; that's what "rate" means.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morg234

reply to post by seabag

No, not exactly, you can't honestly be using this poster's baseless estimate to prove your point?

The US murder rate is far higher than that of the UK. Population size is irrelevant; that's what "rate" means.

I've provided the stats...it's pointless anymore. Obviously UK has a violent crime problem.

If she wants to use those numbers that's fine. This debate isn't about the US.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

[ But who are you to take that choice away from others??

And who the hell are you to tell us in the UK what we should or should not be doing?

You seem to know nothing about the USA and base your opinion on stereotypes and FOX media like assertions

You don't like it fine just shut the hell up and stay in the USA then.

This what pisses me off with the USA you want to enforce you ways on the rest of us and you seem to believe you have "moral" superiority and the duty to change the world well you don't.

Just respect the fact all country's are DIFRRENT and DIFFRENT people want to live under DIFFTRENT ways and you have no right to sneer or deride those ways unless they are impacting on you!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

[ This debate isn't about the US.

Then seeing as you are 100% American why are you even here ? why did you even start this thread?

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join