It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Poll Shows 85% of Brits Want to Repeal the Ban on Hand Guns

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by seabag

Agree to disagree, the majority in the UK do not want handguns (Notice HANDguns because we can get rifles, shotguns etc).

Can you have AK47's? That is a rifle...

Another thing is If we did allow anyone to have handguns we would have to arm our police force, which the police do not want nor do I.

TOO LATE!

Who shot the Woolwich hatchet man? Pedestrians?

I'm wondering why they didn't stab him????

edit on 4-6-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Oh come on you must know that only 7% of officers are firearm trained? and that 7% do not carry guns all the time.
Of course we need tactical units because of the world we live in but we do not need them armed all the time.

Oh and for a look at our gunsmiths here is my local one 5 mins down the road.

www.aaronwheelergunsmith.co.uk...
edit on 4-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Another interesting point to add:

Since 2000 a total of 22 police officers in UK have been killed on duty.
In 2012 alone in US 120 police officers were killed on duty, compared to 3 in UK,

In a year, more people get killed in US by police officers than the total number of people killed in UK...

And the population difference is less than 5 times.

edit on 4-6-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

5 X 22 = 110

So UK had ROUGHLY 110 killed and US 120 killed?

And we have gun freedom while you don't????

Thanks for dispelling the fears that guns lead to more crime.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa
But, what about the majority opinion? Doesn't that count for anything?

does it? the majority can often be wrong and foolish, that's why laws and constitutions exist to curb human foolishness, but many times laws are corrupted by said foolishness anyways, the point is you can't trust majority rule any more than you can trust a despot, in fact a despot isn't as whimsical, unstable or indecisive as majority rule usually is. but well the U.K is a democracy for the most part so my opinion on it means very little i suppose.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

You messed up on the math.

the 120 in the US is per anum, while the 22 in the UK is over 12 years.

edit on 4-6-2013 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by seabag

I think you better read cabins post again

link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Cabin

5 X 22 = 110

So UK had ROUGHLY 110 killed and US 120 killed?

And we have gun freedom while you don't????

Thanks for dispelling the fears that guns lead to more crime.

Please read my post... 22 Officers were killed in 12 (TWELVE) years, in US 120 were killed in ONE year.

In 2012 THREE officers were killed in UK. Considering population 3x5=15
In 2012 120 (ONE HUNDRED TWENTY) officers were killed in US.

15 vs 120 = 8 times difference with population size taken into account.

And the UK officers do not even carry guns..

Found another stats:

Since 1945 a total of 245 police officer have been killed on duty in UK: More officers have been killed in US since 2010...
edit on 4-6-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by seabag

I think you better read cabins post again

Sorry....George Bush math.

I stand corrected!

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Please read my post... 22 Officers were killed in 12 (TWELVE) years, in US 120 were killed in ONE year.

That's terrible! I acknowledged earlier that US does have a higher murder rate...there is no disputing that. That's the price of freedom. The US Constitution applies to all people, including bad people.

I know A LOT of gun owners but I can honestly say that I've never 'personally' known anyone in my life who was murdered in America. I know a few people who have taken their own life, and others who died tragically, but never due to a violent crime. If life in US was as dangerous and scary as some of you make it out to be then how can you explain that? And I live in Texas!!! That's practically the Wild West to some.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
[ If life in US was as dangerous and scary as some of you make it out to be then how can you explain that? And I live in Texas!!! That's practically the Wild West to some.

And you painting the same picture that here in the UK crime is everywere and I wont be able to leave my house without being beaten up, raped and knifed
And why that happening my home is being invaded

Its not like that at all!

Honnestly pay the UK a vist for a week or two. You do that and I will listen to your opinions with a lot more repect.

I have visted the USA.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

And you painting the same picture that here in the UK crime is everywere and I wont be able to leave my house without being beaten up, raped and knifed And why that happening my home is being invaded

Bro, the stats paint the picture….I’m just the poster.

Even though it’s not affecting everyone, violent crime does happen to some people no matter what country you live in. Those people should be allowed to defend themselves and avoid becoming a statistic, no?

Honnestly pay the UK a vist for a week or two. You do that and I will listen to your opinions with a lot more repect.

I have visted the USA.

I’m not even sure where UK is. Can you point it out on my map?

Actually, I visited London twice years ago when I lived in Belgium for a year (took a cool ferry ride). I also lived in Oberammergau, Germany for a year. I’ve been all over the ME and Europe: England, France, Germany, Turkey, Israel, Italy, Egypt, Iraq, Crete, Spain, Greece, Bosnia, Netherlands, Tunisia, etc.

I may be a redneck from Texas but I’m a well travelled redneck!

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

But I think I and other posers have already pointed out that our violent crime reporting is abit messed up.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Sorry Seabag, that violent crime graphic is completely worthless - as may well have been pointed out in the comments of the article it accompanied.

"Violent Crime" is an incredibly broad term in UK statistical reporting. For instance, all sexual crime is considered violent - as are many public order offenses.

A bloke using a camera on his shoe to take pictures up women's skirts is a violent criminal statistically speaking, as is the person who's had too many beers and swears at a copper and eventually gets himself arrested. I think even urinating in the street is included.

I don't know why it's recorded in such a manner, but it is. The UK newspapers who run stories based on those figures are literally making mischief as most people aren't aware of how violent crime is recorded.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
reply to post by seabag

But I think I and other posers have already pointed out that our violent crime reporting is abit messed up.

So your violent crime rate may not be so high. That doesn't mean UK is a crime free zone. Look at the other non-violent crimes as well. I don't believe anyone can mistake or mislabel a burglary.

I'm just saying crime happens everywhere and all people should have the right to avoid becoming a statistic. I don't think that's unreasonable. Do you?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Thing is seabag my old chum we can own guns If people want a gun in their home they can go through the motions to get one.
But guns are not in our culture really so no one bothers with one.
We all have the right to defend ourselves, I have an arsenal of weapons which are not firearms in my home (bats, crossbow, Longbow etc) I do not need a handgun because the odds on a robber breaking into my home being armed with one is vast.
I was broken into a few years back myself and my wife heard it from bed and it only took me shouting "I have a f***ing bat and I will smash yer F***ing head in to scare the dude off.

Btw dude is that you in your avatar? cos that is one epic beard dude

edit on 6-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It's not relevant if the vast majority want something these days.

The politicians receive their instructions from above and then use the media to try and convince the population to agree with those instructions.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Agree. You dont hear of people being borken into by armed robbers over hear. They have knifes at best. So crossbow or longsword which I have will do the job better than if it was Gun verse Gun. I will most likley always have the advantage in a home invasion. In the USA when both partys have guns it will be equal.

Gun crime in the UK seems confined to certain areas (as I said in areas with a certain ethicity that is known for drug and Gun violence) and high levels of organised crime. With the Draconian sentances you get just from haveing a gun even that deters most career crminals from ever useing said gun and instaed use it as a status symbol.

Yes we do get some gun crime outside of organised crime normaly due to some farmer cracking and shooting his wife with his legal shoot gun but its far from common.

But really guns are just a non issue over here. Not many care either way.
edit on 6-6-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join