It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Poll Shows 85% of Brits Want to Repeal the Ban on Hand Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
This is an interesting poll. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve heard Brits on ATS talk about how they are so happy there aren’t many guns in UK. I’ve read many describe how safe they feel and that there simply is no need for hand gun ownership in UK. I’ve even read many who share their complete lack of empathy when people in US express their fears of losing our second amendment protections.

Well, now there is this poll from The Telegraph:

Under Commons rules, any MP can introduce a bill, but only a few are ever debated. The ballot to decide which members get time for such debates was held on Thursday. James Wharton, the MP for Stockton South, came top of the ballot.

The readers of telegraph.co.uk/politics did not disappoint, and provided us with a raft of ideas. These are the six that caught our eye. Now, it is over to you - vote below for the Bill you'd like to see debated in the Commons. The winner will be sent a bottle of House of Commons claret and a box of Commons chocolates.

Repeal the ban on hand guns and re-open shooting clubs, proposed by Colliemum. They write: "After all, why should only criminals be 'allowed' to possess guns and shoot unarmed, defenceless citizens and police officers?"
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Here is a screen shot of the poll results so far:

This is very interesting. I can’t wait to see what happens when this bill makes it to the commons. Maybe younger generations of Brits are finally beginning to realize they have very little power to defend themselves. I guess the US Second Amendment isn’t such a bad thing after all!!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Why on Earth do I need a gun?

I mean, if I wanted a gun to hunt (or keep at home), I could legitimately be granted a licence (or having joined a special club) and be able to purchase in order to hunt (in a club etc), providing I'm a good upstanding citizen etc.

But a gun to carry around like in America? Why? I've never even come into contact with any "armed criminal" here in Britain (although they clearly exist). Even if guns are suddenly legalized, those "armed criminals" would grow massively - so it's better the evil you know than the one you don't.

What's more - I've had run-ins with several knife-point robberies in London - yet, through luck and heightened survival instincts, I've managed to get away unharmed. Without a gun.

I really don't see the reason why I should need a gun.

The fact is, guns won't actually solve anything - they'll actually bring more problems than we already have. We'd have more suicides, more murders, more gun-related incidents in general, more criminals with guns than already exist - there is no positive to having a gun in British society. And although America's gun issues might have more to do with the "culture" than with the presence of guns themselves, I still don't think that it will be in the best interests for the overall security in the country if we had guns freely available. What if the Woolwich two had guns and then decided to expand the attack into the nearby army base?

I really don't want to be on a heightened alert whilst walking the streets (especially London) thinking that some mad suicidal maniac will shoot me. Of course, that's not to say that that's what goes on in the US (I've been - and all was well), but it could certainly be possible. And what's to stop an increase in school shootings in the UK? What's to stop a disgruntled worker, who would otherwise have not murdered his co-workers had he not had a gun, shooting up his workplace?

And what of police? This would then mean that we would need to have constantly armed police... It'll basically spur on an arms race on the streets of Britain - between police, gangs, loners and regular law-abiding citizens. And I'm not so keen on having constantly armed police on random streets - like a bobby on the beat carrying a loaded handgun.

There's no real reason why we Brits should get guns again - except for this strange argument about "freedom". I feel quite fine and free thankyou without carrying a deadly weapon. You could argue that were guns legal, the "Woolwich Two" could have been stopped - but surely the Woolwich Two would have also been armed, so you'd quickly get lots of injuries and casualties on both sides. And seriously - some parts of London are already bad as it is; we don't want them getting worse. We don't want London to turn into a Chicago, which seems to have lots of shootings everyday (particularly high on some weekends). We have enough petty streetboys with knives for crying out loud!

Might I also add that I myself feel quite "safe" as it is - so, really, it must be all to do with the perception of many people from the media and whatnot.
edit on 5/31/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Too late now . Once the government gets rid of the power the people has to evict them from office it is over . It's back to the royals and commoners again . Elections will go next or like over here they own every dog in the race . Nobody knows what that lever is connected to if it is when you vote .
Americas struggle to resist the EVIL EMPIRE of Global Elites by remaining armed is holding up the ir plans of world domination . Also the Russian/ China BRICS bank is also resisting them .
Once they get your freedom you will never get it back .

+14 more 
posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

I dare say, handguns may not be a solution to societies problems but they sure would have solved a problem for a Soldier last week, who lost his head over being chosen for a random murder in the street. Folks don't carry guns because it's cool or nifty. Anyone who carries can tell you, the amount of work and hassle involved, that they DON'T mention in any class, would fill a small book. It's so living people don't become dead statistics. It would seem Britain isn't immune from horrible acts of random violence after all. What is lacking is an even playing field for defense against homicidal maniacs, IMO.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I guess you are in the 14.24% of those in the UK that share that opinion. And you are free to have that opinion. But, what about the majority opinion? Doesn't that count for anything?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I can’t wait to see what happens when this bill makes it to the commons.

Being as I'm a Brit I think I can safely say that this will not be debated in the Commons nor will it become a bill , there may be a very small minority who would like it to but the vast majority feel we are American enough without having the right to bare arms .

reply to post by Krakatoa

But, what about the majority opinion? Doesn't that count for anything?

15.000 out of a population of over 60 million is not a majority opinion .

edit on 31-5-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Why on Earth do I need a gun?

Maybe you don't.

However, you may want a hand gun in the future and it would be nice to have the right to do so. Brits should have a personal choice in the matter rather than being told what they can or can't do by their government.

It appears at least from this poll that many of your countrymen don't share your view.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
just to point out - gun cluns are still legal - merely limited in the firearms thier members can own

and i defy anyone to explain how " repealing the ban on hand guns " will make the UK any safer

i want the 1997 ban repealled - but repeal of the 1988 ban would be far more use to far more gun owners

just dont pretend " saftey " will be increased

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

There may be a very small minority who would like it to but the vast majority feel we are American enough without having the right to bare arms .

I hate to point out the obvious but based on the poll I provided I beg to differ.

Do you have poll results or another survey to back that up?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

85 percent of the people who bother to fill in an online poll is not the same thing as 85 percent of the country.
The process of asking "what different thing do you want to happen?" is automatically skewed in favour of those who want something different.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Can you not trust yourself to have a gun ? Do you think it is Dodge City on a Saturday night over here everyday . There has been years that I have not seen my gun , but when I need it is there . What if Cameron decided to turn the UK into a communist nation ? How far is it from a totalitarian nation now with all the cameras ? What if he put your queen in prison . What if he outlawed beer and brandy ? How would you take back your country ? How would you stop him ? We aren't going to save you again the Elite control our politicians too .

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I fully understand what you're saying.

But if you continued reading further down, you would have seen that I talked more about "What would have happened in Woolwich had guns been legal". You would have seen that I offered the possibility that the Woolwich Two would most likely have been armed too and could have done much more damage (blasting their way into the barracks nearby) and if armed citizens intervened, there would have been much more bloodshed and injuries. So all of this "I have a gun, so I can be a superman in a deadly situation" is not entirely true in all situations.

And seriously - you cannot seriously say that had we had guns, the soldier would not have been killed. What nonsense - are you seriously suggesting that guns will prevent many things? It'll prevent an unprovoked stabbing? It'll prevent lots of crimes? In my post above, I considered several situations where guns would be useless or would cause more harm than good - as I stated, it would cause an arms race on our streets and that isn't good for the country. Police would have to be permanently arm and would have to compete with an armed populace, as well as more armed loners and gangs (who aren't already armed).

I also further stated that it'd be a statistical fact that the number of suicides would increase (a lot, really - a quick bullet through the mouth), gun-related incidents, armed robberies etc etc. People would get bigger guns to outgun others in order to "feel more safe". In short, it'd go on and it'd be more problematic than preventive of anything.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Additionally, chap, the incident about the soldier didn't make me anymore fearful about living here. In fact, it didn't really do anything about my perception of safety or society. I can't see how having a gun could make me feel more safe. Is having a gun to compensate for some self-perceived inadequacy or something? I certainly don't feel the need for it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

And seriously - you cannot seriously say that had we had guns, the soldier would not have been killed. What nonsense - are you seriously suggesting that guns will prevent many things? It'll prevent an unprovoked stabbing?

Actually.. Yes. That is not only what I am suggesting...seriously...but will happily show real world proof of for having worked out, precisely that way and without "more bloodshed" or additional needless suffering.

GUN CARRYING MAN ENDS STABBING SPREE AT SALT LAKE GROCERY STORE

Excuse the caps please. The originating headline is all caps and I am not retyping it all outside an OP title.

Guns are used to save lives every day. Literally. Every Day. Sometimes that means taking life with one...usually, it doesn't. They're regularly used to good effect though.

A gun free zone is a 100% safe working environment for criminals and spree killers.

I can't see how having a gun could make me feel more safe. Is having a gun to compensate for some self-perceived inadequacy or something? I certainly don't feel the need for it.

To each their own opinions...and as the OP said, the survey says otherwise for a good % of your fellow citizens. Sans competing data to show otherwise? I take his OP and data as valid for what it shows. It would seem your opinion is certainly not the prevailing one, based upon that.
edit on 31-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter
reply to post by gortex

Can you not trust yourself to have a gun ? Do you think it is Dodge City on a Saturday night over here everyday . There has been years that I have not seen my gun , but when I need it is there . What if Cameron decided to turn the UK into a communist nation ? How far is it from a totalitarian nation now with all the cameras ? What if he put your queen in prison . What if he outlawed beer and brandy ? How would you take back your country ? How would you stop him ? We aren't going to save you again the Elite control our politicians too .

Oh don't be so ridiculous, chap. This is the United Kingdom, not some African backwater or random Arab state. Cameron can't just "turn Britain into a communist nation". Seriously, are some people living in a fantasy world here - whilst our political and democratic system isn't perfect, it certainly isn't dire either. Do you seriously believe all of the questions that you posed even have a reasonable chance of occurring?

How ridiculous.

So I should get a gun because of the minutest chance that an elected official in the "free world" (certainly more free than some African/Arab/Asian states) would suddenly declare himself "dictator" and we'd all just happily fold our hands and sit back? Even after the Woolwich incident, I'm not exactly clamouring for more laws - the perpetrators are in custody, they'll be sentenced - no need for any other "drastic measures" and I'm certainly not asking for such.

What if he put our queen in prison? Banned brandy and beer? What nonsense! This is 2013 - don't be so ridiculous.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by seabag

85 percent of the people who bother to fill in an online poll is not the same thing as 85 percent of the country.
The process of asking "what different thing do you want to happen?" is automatically skewed in favour of those who want something different.

Are you saying these results mean nothing?

Or are you saying polls only mean something when there is an outcome you agree with?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

You say guns are legal in England...and I know this to be true. However, legal and useful are two radically different things. Can an Englishman have a 12 gauge shotgun or 9mm handgun in his home, loaded or unloaded? As I understand it the answer is no...they can "own" a gun and visit it during hours at the local gun club, right?

I think the former soldier being brought up on criminal charges for turning in a shotgun he found in his garden was the real statement I can't quite forget. Strict doesn't even begin to cover it when cases like that are happening.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

And seriously - you cannot seriously say that had we had guns, the soldier would not have been killed. What nonsense - are you seriously suggesting that guns will prevent many things? It'll prevent an unprovoked stabbing?

Actually.. Yes. That is not only what I am suggesting...seriously...but will happily show real world proof of for having worked out, precisely that way and without "more bloodshed" or additional needless suffering.

GUN CARRYING MAN ENDS STABBING SPREE AT SALT LAKE GROCERY STORE

Excuse the caps please. The originating headline is all caps and I am not retyping it all outside an OP title.

Guns are used to save lives every day. Literally. Every Day. Sometimes that means taking life with one...usually, it doesn't. They're regularly used to good effect though.

A gun free zone is a 100% safe working environment for criminals and spree killers.

Pray, tell - how's Britain doing with "spree killers"?

The Woolwich Two come along and suddenly we're all shivering in our boots - when in fact, they're just random crazies and this has been the first Islamic extremist attack on British soil since 2005?
Wow, we really need them guns don't we?

Tell me - I was born and bred here and have lived here all of my life - not in one instance have I thought that I needed a gun. For what, exactly? Maybe to hunt, sure - but you can already get guns to hunt or participate in sport. But to carry around with you in the eventuality that you *might* just end up needing to use it against a *possible* attack or something - that's ridiculous.

As I said, Britain has enough problems without adding guns to the situation - seriously. I say again - we have enough issues in our society without bringing guns into the equation.

And you talk of criminals and whatnot - but currently, we don't even have that much of a gun problem in Britain - if any. The thing is, I'm not anti-gun, so I'm not saying that America should ban its guns - that would just be too ridiculous and the logistics would be massive and there'd be so much resistance and it really couldn't be policed well. Nevertheless, whilst I'm not clamouring for guns to leave American society, I am against guns pervading British society. No thank you - we do not want further madness in an already excited and nervous populace. We here in Britain don't need guns. What's more is that most of the people shot here in Britain are most likely in gang-related incidents - not exactly incidents.

And madmen going on rampages with knifes (or spoons or bowls or pencils or pens) isn't argument enough to legalize guns. Such could occur in any country. In China, we had that guy who stabbed 22 children. Anybody could do anything. If that guy had a gun, he could have killed and wounded several more. It's cultures that need to change. So, Britain doesn't need deadly weapons on its streets. A gun isn't a superman, it'll only create more harm than good. We have no need for such here in Britain. I don't even think I can remember the last school shooting here in Britain - but ask me about America, and I could go on...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by ignorant_ape

You say guns are legal in England...and I know this to be true. However, legal and useful are two radically different things. Can an Englishman have a 12 gauge shotgun or 9mm handgun in his home, loaded or unloaded? As I understand it the answer is no...they can "own" a gun and visit it during hours at the local gun club, right?

I think the former soldier being brought up on criminal charges for turning in a shotgun he found in his garden was the real statement I can't quite forget. Strict doesn't even begin to cover it when cases like that are happening.

And it's good that it's strict - hence why we have less gun-related incidents and less shooting sprees - even when you look at it relatively and change the variables to control for population sizes in respect to America and Britain.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by gortex

There may be a very small minority who would like it to but the vast majority feel we are American enough without having the right to bare arms .

I hate to point out the obvious but based on the poll I provided I beg to differ.

Do you have poll results or another survey to back that up?

Seeing as it is an online poll, further that this Canadian just voted for the Flat Tax, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Americans influencing this poll.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join