It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Mammoth find: Preserved Ice Age giant found with flowing blood in Siberia

page: 4
54
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by flana23
 





it isnt playing god,we are simply enabling science




1 Samuel 2:6
The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.


Is this not exactly the same as what the scientists want to do. Bringeth up...




posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 





Why would they be farmed? That makes no sense. Do we farm elephants? Why would they be tested on? They are extremely similar to elephants, what you suggest lacks one iota of common sense.


It does not lack common sense at all. A few posters have mentioned that mammoths could be a food source. We all know what the ivory trade is like. So can you imagine the amount of money that someone would be willing to pay for mammoth tusks. There will be exploitation. There is with everything. The mammoth is not going to be the exception...



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 





The Mammoth died off relatively short while ago. Why do you think it needs extinct plant species to eat even if the plants it used to eat were now extinct (which they are almost certainly not)? They were alive until around 3,500 years ago.


Ok maybe extinct was for sure the wrong word used. Maybe not extinct but I am sure the plants these days will differ from what the mammoth ate in its era.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
reply to post by flana23
 





it isnt playing god,we are simply enabling science




1 Samuel 2:6
The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.


Is this not exactly the same as what the scientists want to do. Bringeth up...


Judging by the definition you use, you better not ever have children or you are playing God, since that is all that is happening here.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 





Why would they be farmed? That makes no sense. Do we farm elephants? Why would they be tested on? They are extremely similar to elephants, what you suggest lacks one iota of common sense.


It does not lack common sense at all. A few posters have mentioned that mammoths could be a food source. We all know what the ivory trade is like. So can you imagine the amount of money that someone would be willing to pay for mammoth tusks. There will be exploitation. There is with everything. The mammoth is not going to be the exception...


Yes and everyone talking about them being a food source is just as stupid when they say it. We have elephants, they are not a food source, why would Mammoths which are almost identical be a food source? It lacks basic logic.

As far as ivory that is the first intelligent thing I have heard, and is true. As I said earlier, the money generated from tourism would be more than enough to protect them from poachers, especially if they were on an island reserve.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
They did not extinct that long ago and the big contributor to their extinction was human. I am in favor of bringing them back.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by baburak
They did not extinct that long ago and the big contributor to their extinction was human. I am in favor of bringing them back.


There's actually debate about how big a role humans played. I think the newest research shows humans played a very minor role. Previously humans were thought to have played a much larger role, although a lot has been learned since then.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
quote--We have elephants, they are not a food source,--

you people really dont have any idea, of the realities, of todays wildlife preservation, do you?

it costs around fourty grands to shoot an elephant,,, then they make trophys out of them, and the meat is distributed as food. so thats that.

--armed guards to "protect" endangered animals!?


gorillas and the ALL of the rarer species, would have been extinct since the 70s
unless the high rollers wouldnt have started to breed them in large quantities-- to be shot.

all of the animals today are just cash... if they go extinct, the big money stops,,

its naive, and childish to believe that the regular tourism brings enough cash to the table.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by solve
quote--We have elephants, they are not a food source,--

you people really dont have any idea, of the realities, of todays wildlife preservation, do you?

it costs around fourty grands to shoot an elephant,,, then they make trophys out of them, and the meat is distributed as food. so thats that.

--armed guards to "protect" endangered animals!?


gorillas and the ALL of the rarer species, would have been extinct since the 70s
unless the high rollers wouldnt have started to breed them in large quantities-- to be shot.

all of the animals today are just cash... if they go extinct, the big money stops,,

its naive, and childish to believe that the regular tourism brings enough cash to the table.


For most animals that is true. The Wooly Mammoth would not be most animals. Research grants and tourism money along with a secluded area such as an island would afford them very reasonable safety. It would be a very rare occurance when one was poached. Elephants may be eaten by those who kill them, but they are NOT breed as a food source, and to suggest Wooly Mammoths would be used to solve the world's food crisis is one of the most ignorant comments I have heard in a long time.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


no it definetly would not solve the food crisis,

but if the cloning of the mammoth is possible,,,

for example russian and chinese politicians would pay more money, that has even been printed..
then they would release them in siberia and shoot them. but- they wouldnt shoot too much of them because the ball needs to be rolling..

east europe has for example hundreds-maybe thousand of nile crocodiles, in the wild because russians thought it would be fun to shoot them from boats, so they released a large number of crocs in the wilds and they shot maybe a few dozen.

one of those crocs was recently caught and the giant lives happily in a zoo at the moment..

ps,from the animal kingdom, i eat only fish, that i have caught myself, no other meat...
so i am a lover, not a hater, but we must understand how things really work, if we want to keep these animals safe from extinction... i know its sad, but this is the situation.

-one more edit.. when it comes to (clones?) living in captivity.. why not? arent we all in captivity?
for example the sailfin lizard would have gone by-by in to the bellies of the philippine people a long time ago,
if it wasnt for herpetologist that started breeding them-- its one of the few exotic lizards that actually benefits from living in captivity.
and wonder why the comodo dragon is still around? check the dinner table of indonesian businessmen.

edit on 30-5-2013 by solve because: edit

edit on 30-5-2013 by solve because: one more thing



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Anti-freeze blood?!

I thought that was just a frog and fish thing, warm blooded animals with anti-freeze blood, now that is cool no i mean HOT!!



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by solve
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


no it definetly would not solve the food crisis,

but if the cloning of the mammoth is possible,,,

for example russian and chinese politicians would pay more money, that has even been printed..
then they would release them in siberia and shoot them. but- they wouldnt shoot too much of them because the ball needs to be rolling..

east europe has for example hundreds-maybe thousand of nile crocodiles, in the wild because russians thought it would be fun to shoot them from boats, so they released a large number of crocs in the wilds and they shot maybe a few dozen.

one of those crocs was recently caught and the giant lives happily in a zoo at the moment..


If someone clones them it's possible they will own a "patent" making them the sole owners of Woolies and it would be illegal for anyone to have them.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Anti-freeze blood?!

I thought that was just a frog and fish thing, warm blooded animals with anti-freeze blood, now that is cool no i mean HOT!!


I agree, I wonder what the compound is.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


and who would fund it? you? i dont think so.

and no western govern-mentalitet would fund it either.

weapons of mass destruction are at the top of the budjet.

the east would fund it for their own reasons.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by solve
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


and who would fund it? you? i dont think so.

and no western govern-mentalitet would fund it either.

weapons of mass destruction are at the top of the budjet.

the east would fund it for their own reasons.


Your assessment is pretty clueless. Numerous Western universities and governments would fund it. The fact you think they wouldn't is meaningless since they are already doing serious genetic research.

ETA: You are also probably one of those people who thinks the US spends all it's budget on the military when the truth is we spend twice as much on social/health programs as we do on military spending.
edit on 30-5-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


and numerous citizens of even the US are rich and happen to like trophy hunting.

besides all the serious research facilities that we know about are a small margin.
but,, before thing get heated,, i have my opinion and i totally respect yours...

my point of the budjet statement, was that its hasnt any room for mammoths, when we have weapon and social projects going on.
edit on 30-5-2013 by solve because: edit



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Great news but I want a freaking dinosaur as a pet not a mammoth. I wonder how does there meat tastes like.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by solve
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


and numerous citizens of even the US are rich and happen to like trophy hunting.

besides all the serious research facilities that we know about are a small margin.
but,, before thing get heated,, i have my opinion and i totally respect yours...

my point of the budjet statement, was that its hasnt any room for mammoths, when we have weapon and social projects going on.
edit on 30-5-2013 by solve because: edit


There are numerous social, medical, and even military applications for this. I am not heated no worries my friend. Is it possible wooly mammoths are brought back and treated poorly? Of course. I think it is far more likely they are not. There will be some that are hunted and poached, and asians will make mystical potions with their tusks, but that will be the exception not the rule in my opinion. Especially if worldwide laws are put into place with severe consequences to those who misuse them.



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


abolutely, and at the end of the day, we could enjoy seeing these amazing animals roaming around.
and the newly discovered mammoth was an amazing found anyway... clones or no clones..



posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 





Judging by the definition you use, you better not ever have children or you are playing God, since that is all that is happening here.


Why thank you for that wonderful post which contributes greatly to the discussion. I am not a Christian I do not have a faith or religion. I am not atheist.

Do you not understand what I am trying to say. IMHO they are playing God. A God is portrayed as an almighty divine being that can give and take life.

If the scientists manage to clone the mammoth. They will have literally given life to the mammoth. So in effect they are playing God. Can you not see what I am trying to say....



new topics

top topics



 
54
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join