It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mammoth find: Preserved Ice Age giant found with flowing blood in Siberia

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by solve
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

and who would fund it? you? i dont think so.

and no western govern-mentalitet would fund it either.

weapons of mass destruction are at the top of the budjet.

the east would fund it for their own reasons.

Yeah, our govt doesn't fund any research but weapons of mass destruction. (sarcasm)

This is, beyond the shadow of a doubt the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The govt funds the stupidest research, at times, you have ever heard of. Have you ever heard of Federal Grants? Submit a proposal and if well written you can research just about anything you want to. Granted money is a bit tighter now than a few years ago, but money is still available for research.

The funding for research involving the cloning and preservation of Mammoths would be a shoo-in.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Yeah...why not use the buffalo? Why not use elephants? After all, they are alive and more easily attained for a breeding program than woolly mammoths.

I agree...the comments regarding using woolly mammoths as a solution to the earth's food problem is just ignorance in motion. Cattle are not as efficient as food as plants...how many acres of feed must be grown to grow cattle to maturity and butchering? So...how much acreage would be required to grow a mammoth to be butchered? No logic whatsoever.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm all for doing the clone thing and hope we can someday do the whole Jurassic Park thing. lol

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Mammoths breed and grow too slowly to be a viable future food source for modern human (as already noted, why not use the larger African elephant? Or better still, cattle or sheep or rabbits .... )

The other issue is that there is nowhere in the wild for woolly mammoths to live nowadays - the cold dry mammoth steppe no longer exists. The nearest equivalent would be parts of the Gobi Desert.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

well guess we have to see how that plays out.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
im all for bringing these things back

just imagine it, real warmammonths!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warchief666
I have to say, I am completely in favour of bring these creatures back. The opportunity to learn is just too great. There are millions of hectares of uninhabited land that cant have changed from the upper-drias period that much. Surely we could accomodate these creatures. I think that any opportunity to bring something back should be taken, just so we can learn.

Over and out,

cb

And it would be fun to own a baby mammoth..

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
And it would be fun to see that "Eat one for Me" commercial done for real. lol

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I just posted this I don't know how I missed it on the front page lol

SnF

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'm up for cloning it, but I have to wonder if we really know exactly what it would eat, and how different our current plants are from those it feasted on, etc.? I mean, we could bring it back, just to kill it with an upset stomach.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

but if we can clone the mammoth,, surely there is pollen from the correct plants, stored within the ice?
i wonder if anyone have cloned an extinct plant......

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Cool post.
Very intersting.
Thanks for posting.

I can just see it now,the beginnings of.......

And allow me to post this ethics speech,before it becomes a real reality.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by solve
reply to post by Gazrok

but if we can clone the mammoth,, surely there is pollen from the correct plants, stored within the ice?
i wonder if anyone have cloned an extinct plant......

Ok...the mammoth is extinct, but there are plenty of animals around that existed at the same time. I sincerely doubt that mammoth food also went extinct. Most of the plants today were living and reproducing when the mammoth walked the earth. Just cause it is extinct doesnt mean everything else from that time period went extinct also.

I mean hell...wheat was around back then. Probably not where these mammoths lived, but you get my point.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
if they are dead then there might be a good reason to why they are dead. so i think they should just leave them dead. but what is one opnion to a million.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
has anyone taken the time to think about something like if there could be a dangerous virus or bacteria or even fungi or something preserved in this stuff? What wiped out the mammoths? Do they REALLY know? Perhaps it was some horrible virus that wiped them out, and by messing with the thing they will unleash it and before we know it... mammoth flu. Everyone dies.

edit on 30-5-2013 by gartenspinnen because: blaaa

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by gartenspinnen

Seriously.

This is the very first thought I had when I read the OP.

I am surprised it took this many pages to point out the obvious. This IS ATS, after all.

Think about it. We don't even know what wiped out the dinosaurs. So for the first time in known history...maybe EVER since the mass extinction, we have 'free flowing blood' coming out of the ice from these animals.

What the heck??!!! I would think (hope) that the scene would have immediately been locked down and treated as a hazmat/biohazard site, just like we would if a meteorite were found with flowing blood in it. I mean, it might as well be alien blood.

For all we know, the super ancient bacteria or virus that wiped out almost all life on this planet thousands of years ago is now making the rounds again.

GREAT.

(of course I am biased...it makes for a great sci-fi storyline.
)
edit on 31-5-2013 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
It is being said that the cryoprotectant blood helped to minimize damage to the mammoths tissue, well, could it protect pathogens too?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

you are right about, that sir, many plants would be suitable, but if, for some reason it didnt,
i doubt it would be a problem,,, it would be solved by cloning a plant from the past,
or simply engineering one...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by gartenspinnen
has anyone taken the time to think about something like if there could be a dangerous virus or bacteria or even fungi or something preserved in this stuff? What wiped out the mammoths? Do they REALLY know? Perhaps it was some horrible virus that wiped them out, and by messing with the thing they will unleash it and before we know it... mammoth flu. Everyone dies.

edit on 30-5-2013 by gartenspinnen because: blaaa

In that case the mere act of digging them up and thawing them would be problematic. Cloning the mammoth itself would bring it into this world with none of the viruses that existed back then (which also likely still exist today, just more advanced).

This would be a problem anytime soil was disturbed for the first time in millenia.... how many times has that happened?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gartenspinnen
It is being said that the cryoprotectant blood helped to minimize damage to the mammoths tissue, well, could it protect pathogens too?

No

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join