It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No food stamps for people convicted of violent crimes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
If the government truly wanted to save money on the food stamp program, they would go after those who abuse the system, not deny people in need to mistakes in their past.

I was inline buying some ribs for a BBQ at a friends. Guy in front of me in more expensive clothing then me didnt speak a lick of English broke out a Lonestar card to buy his food (this is SNAP in Texas). I only had one item so I was able to get through quickly walked out right behind him and his kid. They got into a brand new Escalade and I mean BRAND NEW.

We have a SERIOUS issue is Texas and other border states with females saying they live alone and have no income and multiple kids. When in fact the husband goes out and works for cash and doesn't report or pay taxes. They do not need to be citizens it says so on the forms you fill out for TANF, SNAP, Medicaid and Obamaphone. You get it all even if you are not a citizen of this country.

If you don't have a SS# you get free care at the hospital it will never be put on your credit report or charged to you. The system is a failure. Illegals are the ones breaking the system not felons.
edit on 26-5-2013 by AllGloryIsGods because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllGloryIsGods

Originally posted by jrod
If the government truly wanted to save money on the food stamp program, they would go after those who abuse the system, not deny people in need to mistakes in their past.

I was inline buying some ribs for a BBQ at a friends. Guy in front of me in more expensive clothing then me didnt speak a lick of English broke out a Lonestar card to buy his food (this is SNAP in Texas). I only had one item so I was able to get through quickly walked out right behind him and his kid. They got into a brand new Escalade and I mean BRAND NEW.

We have a SERIOUS issue is Texas and other border states with females saying they live alone and have no income and multiple kids. When in fact the husband goes out and works for cash and doesn't report or pay taxes. They do not need to be citizens it says so on the forms you fill out for TANF, SNAP, Medicaid and Obamaphone. You get it all even if you are not a citizen of this country.

If you don't have a SS# you get free care at the hospital it will never be put on your credit report or charged to you. The system is a failure. Illegals are the ones breaking the system not felons.
edit on 26-5-2013 by AllGloryIsGods because: (no reason given)
I've heard a million stories like yours "they were on food stamps you should have seen what they were driving". I'm on food stamps in Michigan and to qualify you can't have more then $5000 in assets. Your vehicle or anything you own can't been worth more then $5k.

Bottom line you can't judge someone on food stamps by what they drive or how they dress. I was at the grocery store and some guy behind me in line started mumbling under his breath when I busted out my FS card. Then as he was leaving he brushed into me and gave me a nasty look. In the parking lot he watched me get into a brand new $60000 pick up truck and drive off. I'm on SS disability and it was my step fathers truck but I'm sure he had a nice story to tell when he got home.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Cut off basic living for criminals = more criminal behavior

More criminal behavior = more slaves in prison doing hard labor

This is why they want the poorest of us dependent. Complete control.

Criminals need to start gardening and hunting. But hell... we all do.

I think Huey Freeman explains the jail conspiracy better than anyone.

EDIT; Warning, the video contains strong language. All of it is bleeped, except one particular word... but anyone who's seen the show knows its just the norm of the show.

This show, The Boondocks, has an underlying genius beneath its crude (and hilarious) humor. And that kid, Huey Freeman, is a conspiracy theorist, revolutionary, and as he's labeled by everyone else in the show, a domestic terrorist. He is my favorite, and I feel the way he does... surrounded by idiots.

I also think its pretty cool that one of the prison guys in this episode was voiced by Big Smoke from Grand Theft Auto; San Andreas.

edit on 26-5-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'm not rich. I work. I pay my bills. I don't finish the month with too much money saved, sometimes not at all, sometimes I end up with a negative revenue (like most).
I don't have a rich family that supports me, other way around, I often support them with what I can.

I don't get free food handed to me and I don't whine that it's my right to be fed for free.

While I agree that in an Ideal world, water and food supplies will be a basic human right, currently it isn't, and I don't think violent and harmful to society people should receive free gifts that other also struggling law abiding people don't get.

What I'm saying is I support this would-be law.
Society should not fear of violent people's actions in case they get their rights revoked. If they are violent and harmful to society they need to be punished in a way that would shock others and show them this isn't the way. Jail doesn't work that well unfortunately.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Wow there are some really disgusting people in this thread, first advocating eugenics (forced castration) while at the same time admitting they've also used the system. SNAP and others are programs that everybody pays into and hopes they never need to use them! Yes I agree we need to do something about mufti-generational welfare families and the illegals who lie or use stolen SS# or anchor babies to get benefits, but to label ALL people who need assistance as useless is just plain dumb. Any one of us could have an accident or disease or unfortunate life circumstances that puts us on (lifelong) welfare and we wouldn't necessarily have any way around it.

Authorities are already cracking down on the homeless because they are an eye sore and are bad for business - now take away what little assistance is left and we'll need to crack open those FEMA camps to hold all the poor!

Also have you people ever been to court? Have you seen how the grindhouse works? If you don't have a lawyer you get hard time without as much of an afterthought from the judge. Felony doesn't mean you are a bad person, just that you were in a crappy situation at some point in your life and couldn't afford representation. In this country it's enough to do just 1 mistake and you're done!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by blivey

I would rather see mandatory drug testing for recipients.

They did this in Florida last year. It cost the state twice as much to do the testing than they saved by pulling welfare benefits to the 2.6% of people that failed the test.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Originally posted by darkbake

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
So they are going to cut off basic food assistance, among already desperate people, to the MOST violent among the desperate. ....and who thought this was a good idea??

It's almost as if they want to see how bad they can make this summer by setting up conditions for maximum unrest and rage among the people. Bad Bad ideas from simple minded fools, IMO.

People who commit violent crimes probably pick it up culturally from their low-income surroundings, for the most part.
edit on 26-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

BS. This is so utterly classist that your not ever getting forgiven for such an ignorant comment. Violent people are just violent. At higher levels of the socioeconomic system, violent people have more of an incentive to pretend to not be violent. Studies have already shown that poor people on average, are more ethical then rich people on average.

Hmm... well link the study. It seems to be linked to ethics, not violence.

I was not going based on assumptions, but on personal experiences. I was not blaming the poor for causing violent crime, but explaining how coming from a violent background could influence someone to be more violent. And I think I was referring to specific instances, not all poor people by any means. I'm sure this pattern would continue into the middle and upper classes as well, since you mentioned that.

You still make a decent point. It was classist.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by TDawgRex

I am sure that when the day comes it is going to cause a huge need for churches to open up for charity. That is how the poor will be fed after FS system fails. If I understand you correctly, it may be coming soon?

Remember all the stats on wasted food in America? How law suits make it impossible to donate day old or out dated as it once was. Those laws and regulations will have to change.

Do you recall that thread a few years back that talked about the farmer who had to let potatoes rot in the field because he couldnt pick up the food distribution contracts? He called out to the poor in the community to come and get it, to take all they need and it was shut down by agri?
edit on 25-5-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

It's happened many times, and for different reasons:

en.wikipedia.org...

In 1942, a farmer was growing grain solely for the purpose of feeding his own chickens. The feds shut him down because they feared what he would do, would set a precedent copied by other farmers, and thus devalue the profits made from interstate commerce.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
In welfare neighborhoods, they educate one another on the conditions of qualifications.

Where is the line for violence? Assault? Battery? Protesting without a permit? Reckless driving? How far back does the violent crime thing go? Obviously the public image of violence would be things like murder, arson, armed robbery, rape, things like that.

Say for example there is a man who was 19 when he hit another man, and got in trouble for battery, and it's been been twenty years since then, and he's been through a rough patch since 2008 and is on food stamps. Well now that law just kicked his butt. Yesterday there wasn't a law against it, today there is. It doesn't have to be a man; say it was a woman, and she's got 2 kids, employed full time, and still needs assistance, now what? Mustard on bread for the kids? (mustard on bread, breakfast lunch and dinner, true story)

I know a lot of people want to sneer at food assistance, and assume they're being neat and clean when they make rules like this, but there are a lot of people who have the families, have the jobs, and still can't make ends meet (maybe the IRS is taking money out of paychecks), and now there is this. It's a utopian law, and because it's so wonderfully perfect, it's wonderfully useless in a real society where the people with problems are usually the ones needing support first.

It doesn't cure the middle class snob problem against the poor either. It just makes people with a violent past hungry when otherwise they would have been fed.

I would have voted in the law too, under government idealism and fiscal accountability. Remember that there are violent people who have never been arrested for their violence and will get SNAP anyways.
edit on 26-5-2013 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
So if someone is convicted of a violent crime we should starve them to death or make it so they have to steal
to eat!
What sense does this make unless you have investments in the prison system?
Our society is treading on thin ice and we are giving the most violent of us more reason to incite violence!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by nosacrificenofreedom
So if someone is convicted of a violent crime we should starve them to death or make it so they have to steal
to eat!
Our society is treading on thin ice and we are giving the most violent of us more reason to incite violence!

Ah, so there's either food stamps or steal to feed yourself or your family. I guess these people are too good to get a job...?

What am I supposed to think about myself, not being even remotely rich, not living on foodstamps, and not stealing? Am I a saint or am I a normal human being that works for his money?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
So they are going to cut off basic food assistance, among already desperate people, to the MOST violent among the desperate. ....and who thought this was a good idea??

It's almost as if they want to see how bad they can make this summer by setting up conditions for maximum unrest and rage among the people. Bad Bad ideas from simple minded fools, IMO.

People who commit violent crimes probably pick it up culturally from their low-income surroundings, for the most part.

BS. This is so utterly classist that your not ever getting forgiven for such an ignorant comment. Violent people are just violent. At higher levels of the socioeconomic system, violent people have more of an incentive to pretend to not be violent. Studies have already shown that poor people on average, are more ethical then rich people on average.

Hmm... well link the study. It seems to be linked to ethics, not violence.

I was not going based on assumptions, but on personal experiences. I was not blaming the poor for causing violent crime, but explaining how coming from a violent background could influence someone to be more violent. And I think I was referring to specific instances, not all poor people by any means. I'm sure this pattern would continue into the middle and upper classes as well, since you mentioned that.

You still make a decent point. It was classist.

Wow Darkblade, much respect! It is rare that anyone admits they are wrong!
I wish there were more people that could humble themselves!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by InstantRemedy

to eat!

Ah, so there's either food stamps or steal to feed yourself or your family. I guess these people are too good to get a job...?

What am I supposed to think about myself, not being even remotely rich, not living on foodstamps, and not stealing? Am I a saint or am I a normal human being that works for his money?

It's not so easy for cons to find employment! Are you a con?
Do you have a Job? Do you have dependents?
Do you have skills that make you more valuable then most cons?
We should not assume anything today. Unless we are in these peoples shoes and living their lives we don't know what their lives are like!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by InstantRemedy

to eat!

It's not so easy for cons to find employment! Are you a con?
Do you have a Job? Do you have dependents?
Do you have skills that make you more valuable then most cons?
We should not assume anything today. Unless we are in these peoples shoes and living their lives we don't know what their lives are like!

As I said, I am a working man, that means I've got a job. I don't rely on food stamps although they could offer me a great help. I choose to be my own supporter.
From my vast experience in life, the people who are insisting that it's impossible to get a job are the ones that didn't even try lifting a finger in order to live better. They are fine with the welfare money they are getting and the mere thought of a job makes them rage.

You make it sound like having a job, or looking for one is some sort of punishment. It isn't. It's what people do nowdays.

People who refuse to get a job, insist on living on welfare and are a hassle to society (harmful, violent etc) should be revoked of such a privilige.
If jailtime or criminal record doesn't scare them, perhaps the thought of getting a job will do the trick. Actually I'm pretty sure it would.

That being said, don't think I oppose welfare for people with disabilities. Handicapped, mental disabilities etc. Truth couldn't be further away. I strongly support assisting those in a real need even more while giving less-to-none to those that are either too lazy to even consider getting a job, or abuse the system. I'm also supporting the notion that people who are abusing the system will be forced to pay taxes that will go to those in actual need of welfare.
edit on 26-5-2013 by InstantRemedy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quauhtli
reply to post by TDawgRex

Why not just learn how to educate them and give them jobs. Bring their schools up into the same quality of education as the higher side of town. It's a proven fact that better educated people have less children and take better care of them. Any city with any kind of poverty problem is getting it's priorities (beeped by sandalphon) backwards and should have to take care of it's own sultry elements until the day that it can bring balance back to it's population.

Why don't we one-person family the poor to control them? Then load them into a factory where they work 18 hours a day and live in a shack outside the factory? If they misbehave we can re-educate them in camps. Stupid poor person don't you know that if your income is under a line then children are off limits. Add some laws that writing an angry letter to a congressperson constitutes a violent crime. That doesn't sound like USA under those standards.

Education does happen, and many poor people will be educated that they are poor and statistics prove how poor people tend to stay poor. They will not be brainwashed that they are meant to become rich and defy statistics. Sadly, what exists in any nation today is their balance, which isn't as a tightrope walker, but a drunk on a line on the ground. The drunk thinks he's good at what he's doing.

What if they ever made a law that if you made over x dollars you couldn't vote, or have kids, or purchase insurance? The point is that the bias of the law only hits certain people with a history of criminal behavior but not a present case of criminal behavior. Now that it's written it can be amended in the future to include all crimes. That is perfect until the police state comes out and starts criminalizing new things. I think they had good intentions for the government's financial books when they made the law, but it's naive to think a poor person will become un-poor now that this law is around.
edit on 26-5-2013 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
From some of the replies I have read on this thread stating your opinions that welfare recipients should be drug tested and sterilized......

You that think anyone should be denied the very things they may need to even survive, just because they aren't exactly like your ignorant asses.......

A lot of you sound about like you need to be marginalized for being stupid, which, in this world, you will be after they get rid of all of those so called people you label "Undesirable".

If you kill or remove from society everyone you "Hate", just for the sake of hating/marginalizing/something to make you feel better about your sorry ass self, You will find something else, someone else to hate/marginalize/kill/destroy/discriminate against.

I am an American, but I am not one of you, but then now you have a reason to marginalize me , don't you?.

Stinkin Collectivists.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Who gets to make this choice?
Is it put to a vote?
I'd like to think that the people,who's tax dollars fund these programs,should have a say.

Afterall,the U.S is pretty much broke,but yet,it continues to send BILLIONS of dollars in aid to other countries,every year.

So we can take care of everyone else,but not those living here?

Im not saying that people who commit violent crimes should be given a free pass in life.
They should serve out whatever sentence given to them,be it jail,prison,parole/probation.
And allowed to try and build a life.

The scarlet letter idea,which basically punishes a person for life is wrong.
I've filled out applications before,and theres always a box you would have to check if your a convicted felon or not.
It states saying yes,wont prevent from employment,but through friends ive had throughout the years,the opposite is usually the norm.

So if you cant get employment,and you cant get help providing food,crime or prison is about the only options these people would be left with.

Eventually society might as well embrace this concept,as things seem to be heading down this road.

The Obsolete Man

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
From some of the replies I have read on this thread stating your opinions that welfare recipients should be drug tested and sterilized......

You that think anyone should be denied the very things they may need to even survive, just because they aren't exactly like your ignorant asses.......

A lot of you sound about like you need to be marginalized for being stupid, which, in this world, you will be after they get rid of all of those so called people you label "Undesirable".

If you kill or remove from society everyone you "Hate", just for the sake of hating/marginalizing/something to make you feel better about your sorry ass self, You will find something else, someone else to hate/marginalize/kill/destroy/discriminate against.

I am an American, but I am not one of you, but then now you have a reason to marginalize me , don't you?.

Stinkin Collectivists.

You speak alot about hatred, yet the boldest display of hatred in this thread is probably this post of your's.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Unlimited amounts of money for a violent offensive military and pensions for CongressCritters; but a few bucks a month to make sure that everyone has enough food to keep them from considering stealing it is out of the question?

There's a LOT seriously wrong with this country and it's getting worse exponentially. I predict a very long, hot, violent summer. They're slamming doors shut all over the place. If I had the means, I'd leave this country and never look back.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by ThreeBears

Bringing race into this is despicable and it speaks volumes of your character. That's all I will say on that.

I don't totally agree with the OP. Like others have stated, it is hard enough to get a descent job let alone for a convicted felon. Hell, I just lost a job because of a misdemeanor! (1 text message at 9:30 pm, it was "too late") so yeah...

I think that with all the government officials that there are that some should play 'detective' and look into those abusing the system and ban them permanently so that way others, such as myself can get the needed help.

Btw, I'm a single father of 2, I rent (which I can't afford every month) and the only job I could land 4 years ago was minimum wage and I qualified for $19 a month on SNAP. I know of other men in the same situation.

Why? Bringing race I to it, why is it Dispicable? have you not Read the numerous Racist (implied) comments on here about forced sterilization and entitlement mentality for some and a beg you lucky we LET you live for others on here?

I was simply bringing up a foundational point, that simply says, NONE of us are Entitled more than others, and that regardless of our efforts, we don't Create all the goods, food, water, land, that we ALL DEPEND ON,

And therefore taking CREDIT where the Only credit should go to Nature/earth herself, is in fact a bit arrogant and proudful. And it's from a spirit of brattiness and ungratefulness,

Which, really is the same entitlement mentality that "some", not all but some, have that the workers should support them as they think it's owed.

I don't support just leeching off of Anyone, but NOT for the same arrogant snot ass reasons which oh yes much of its pure Classism and RACISM, damn straight it is, that have been shown on here by a few...

But at the Same time I don't support a prideful entitlement that is Conducive for one, taking credit for all things beneficial as IF THEY ARE GODS and THEY ARE NOT....GODS, Supremacist jerks maybe but NOT GODS and therefore they are NOT more entitled than the Less thans, OK...and Especially when a LOT of our WEALTH in THIS NATION

Did NOT come from hard work, oh heck no, it came from MURDER OF OTHERS WHO WERE NON WHITE

THAT is historical Fact and if one finds it Dispicable that I DARE to bring up WHITE PRIVILEGE well

Too damn bad.

I call a spade a spade...and this GENOCIDAL POLICY of forbidding food stamps to Felons who WE KNOW

Are Majority People of COLOR, Latinos, African Americans AND Native Indians, FACT

Who Often times have been RAILROADED BY YES A RACIST JUDICIAL SYSTEM

Is Yes, GENOCIDE BY PROXY.

AND IT STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN!

Ant NO BODY, BETTER JUST because they WORK

Some of the POOREST PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY WHO WORK THE HARDEST

ARE FELONS, THEY HAVE WORKED

This NATION would not have Beneffitted like it has Without these SLAVE WORKERS, in PRISON,

Our SUGAR. Came from Backs of Slaves, our CHOCOLATE today comes from backs of Child slaves (Africa, Ghana, etc cocoa industry), our CLOTHES comes from Female Slaves

Most whom are NON WHITE.

Our Coffee comes from SLaves, our Flowers for Valentines comes from Female SLAVES, again most NON WHITE

Ad yet it's often WHITE people who B@:$
() about HOW HARD THEY WORK.....

And DARE any less than Demand the SAME fruits this EARTH PROVIDED

Whites are NOT GOD.

They are NOT BETTER, nor more ENTITLED TO...

And if That flies in the face of supremacists and entitled Brats

Fine. But I would bet, many here, would agree with me...

The EARTH needs ALL colors of Soil and ALL types of animals to THRIVE

It's called INTERDEPENDENCE

I suggest, many Learn what that is, because without ALL of us

THERE IS NONE OF US.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join