It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No food stamps for people convicted of violent crimes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

well, food and nutrition, water.. basic human rights.. take these away from someone and how do you expect them to turn out?
reply to post by UNIT76

Though this is true, I'm not defending violent criminals. I'm just trying to find the logic behind this bill. How do violent criminals and food stamps even come up in the same conversation? I can see the logic in preventing con artists from trying to con the food stamp program, but what do violent people have to do with it? This is as logical as telling people they can't retire on social security because of overdue parking tickets; it just makes no sense.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The fall of the roman empire was marked by the ending of bread rations for the poorest people. Desperate people will TAKE what they need from everyone else.

Someone wants total collapse?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin

On Wednesday, the 2013 Senate Farm Bill was amended by to make those convicted of certain violent crimes ineligible for SNAP (Supplementary Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits, popularly known as food stamps. The amendment was passed by unanimous consent, meaning that neither Republicans nor Democrats objected to the bill.

tv.msnbc.com...

This seems as very bad idea to me. Most criminals start because they have no money to live. This will only make things worse and is likely to make somebody who made something stupid when being young turn back to crime after getting out after the jail punishment. After jail it is not easy to find a job and the need for staying alive might send lots of people back to the negative path. I do not see any benefits in this one... Just makes restarting one´s life and crime even worse.
edit on 25-5-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

i agree with you, that this is a completely idiotic and poorly thought-out idea. This can do nothing but increase recidivism, which it seems like the system is already set up to encourage.

We really need to implement mandatory IQ testing for law-makers, because these people are clearly too stupid to be entrusted with this responsibility. Maybe some of you may not think so, or may not think this affects you. But when the guy who has a felony on his record, can't get a job and can't get government assistance either, to feed himself and/or his family, and he has to turn to more crime... maybe then you'll be unlucky enough to see how it could affect you...

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Poor criminals. They just may have to go to work if they want to eat.

Right, because lots of places are willing to give jobs to people with violent felonies.

You wouldn't happen to be a politician, would you?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Wow, so not only will these people not be able to get a job (people with records are the last to get hired) but they will also be forced to slowly starve to death. Starvation= desperation....what will one do during desperate times....whatever it takes to survive. People will kill for a slice of bread if it in turn means that they will live to see another day.

This is a horrible idea, mistakes or not, violent or not this will only create more violence. However I suspect that tptb know this and look forward to it happening so they can put in place more of their draconian laws...you know to "keep us safe".

I hear people say all the time "they clearly were not thinking when they put this law into place" Au Contraire... they know exactly what they are doing.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

It's a really bad idea. Felons convicted of violent crimes I have no pity for, but in most cases these people have children who need to eat. Since the children cannot apply for assistance themselves- it must be the parent- it would ultimately sentence the children of these people to the slow and painful death of malnutrition, followed by starvation. It is not the children's fault that mom or dad made a horrible mistake and they should not have to suffer for it.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
YOU WILL CONFORM OR YOU WILL STARVE. This will soon be playing on loudspeakers across Amerika.

Personally I think Violent Felons if caught red handed by multiple witnesses should be put down like rabid dogs. Commit violence on a stranger to get ahead and go straight to dead. I am not a very nice person in this respect.

That being said; IF we are going to allow a violent felon back on the streets we should not force them to starve as it will simply lead to more victims. I say give them a job that allows them to go to work every day under supervision.

For that matter, screw all welfare. If they can work I have a job for them. It may pay no better than welfare but at least they can be productive and develop a work ethic. Garbage men are almost all Felons btw..........

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

And the award for Mr or Ms stupid of the year goes to...whatever brainless twit came up with this idea.

Violent criminals...starving...no work, no food stamps equals NO CHOICE!

Things are gonna get violently ugly as soon as the cupboard shelves are empty.

Perhaps that's the idea.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Force the people to revolt, martial law, job done, game over.

Thats how its gonna be, Id suggest getting a job in the military, some sort of technical trade that involves fixing planes so you are far away from any of the Empires ongoing conquests.

My reason for this is simple, when it comes to the genocidal mass relocation of people into the ghettos, most military personal will be far less suspected than civilians and you will more than likely be allocated an OK home within the safe zones for you and your family.

If you have no skill set that is not useful to the future regime, good luck in the sewers, plenty of rats to eat im sure.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's a sad fact, the government would rather pay more money for violent criminals to eat better as long as it's in a prison.

It really pisses me off when so called government representatives want to "get tough" to save a buck while they vote themselves subsidized meals / catering, 0 co-pay, top tier health insurance, bop around the World on corporate jets and live like royalty.

There are so many reforms needed in the US Government no one even knows where to start.
edit on 25-5-2013 by ecoparity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by UNIT76
well, food and nutrition, water.. basic human rights.. take these away from someone and how do you expect them to turn out?

i think this is just another example of how the new society is going to squeeze all the 'undesirables' out

..never mind all those psychopaths in washington with the drone programs, etc..

Poor criminals. They just may have to go to work if they want to eat.

yeah, what was i just saying about 'washington'

edit on 25-5-2013 by UNIT76 because: hindsight is 20/20

It is sad to see that so many have been conditioned into believing that these poor people are sub human and incapable of providing for themselves. There are plenty of humans that have not been given handouts, and guess what... they manage to survive. Do you know why you aren't allowed to feed the animals in national parks? The animals quit fending for themselves and become aggressive towards humans when they do not get what they want. See any connection between that and the persons living off of the work of others?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

In the state of calif. they have to do that before they can recieve aide that has been enforced for many years and I did not know that some states dont require that info...hmmm...interesting

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Those convicted of drug trafficking aren't eligible for food stamps either. When they tell us it will save tax payers money is simply not true, $200 a month in food benefits is a lot less than it costs to imprison someone for a month.

It seems to me that want those with certain backgrounds to be way behind everyone so they will turn back to their criminal ways just to eat, then they can be sold off into slavery.(the prison system in the US is a legal form of slavery, ask anyone who has been to prison)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I suppose that they need to open up more allotments for all the incoming Mexican workers/dependents.

It is one thing to come here to work, it is another to begin popping out babies that will end up on the welfare rolls. For the workers who agree to minimum wage jobs, they will have to supplement their income for their families with FS.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------
kind of a racist thing to write...I feel sorry for your black heart...

edit on (5/25/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I'm not going to extrapolate into the usual brands of ATS Logic already in this thread, Xenophobia, Classism, and Racism all seem to be quite well represented without anyone else needing to add anything to them.

I would just like to suggest that Food is a basic human right.

Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness, right? Denying a fundamental element to sustaining Life, in this instance, food, is state sponsored denial of a basic human right. I do not care if someone has murdered, he should not be starved.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This comment sums it up.

“It doesn’t save anyone any money,” he told MSNBC. “It just makes sort of a political statement that we don’t forgive people for crimes once they pay their dues. We’re just going to punish them forever.” He argued that making it more difficult for convicted felons to meet their basic nutritional needs would encourage recidivism.

It just seems like punitive punishment to me, extended throughout the criminals lifetime.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Politicians are such idiots. I swear they shoot from the hip and than think of the repercussions later. So by denying them food stamps, you're forcing them back into a life of crime. Instead, they should make everyone who is getting food stamps work for them. Local municipalities and state governments need people to maintain roads, parks, pick-up litter and many other indoor janitorial jobs. It would reduce the number of government workers, reduce the amount of government pensions, and at the same time motivate people to find work for cash instead of being paid in food stamps.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

It's a good idea because it makes people feel good when they hurt someone they don't like. But in the long run, to fix these society issues, we have to help them to get them on their feet.

You don't help someone by just handing them money or bags of food. People get better when they work and start regaining their confidence and getting a handle on things.

In the end, society is a village. Maybe a poor imitation, though. But people are supposed to help each other and so on. They're not supposed to be too private. A community is a family, first.

Perhaps someday there'll be villages for people who're broken. Places where broken people can be a part of something simple along with others like them. They can work the farm and repair the tents and so on. Do the odd jobs necessary to feed themselves and keep things repaired. We need a place like this for broken people. It needs to be simple because they're broken.

Our way of living is very complex. People need a lot of skills and endurance. We don't live in tents. We live in buildings, skyscrapers and electrically lit/heated manufactured homes. We get our electrical power from dams, wind turbines farms and various other power plants via power lines. We have a vast roadway system. Vast sewage system. Technological medical devices in healthcare. Enormous medical books and archives, so vast IBM created Watson to parse all of it (no kidding). Huge expensive policing and jailing and military programs. Intricate computer systems and networks. Modern schools that requires real brains and technology to run. This is not something a broken person can do.

There's no easy answer, of course. There's a lot of s*** in life.
edit on 25-5-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by blivey

That is the real problem. It is the criminal mind that knows how to work the system and can accomplish things within the welfare system any real person would not know how to even begin.

I think that a work release program would be a good idea for harden criminals, for violent offenders who have shown the capacity to change. If they cannot work for their food then why continue to be a burden on society until they eventually end up back in prison anyway?

I know criminals who work under the table and still draw benefits. This would just make them honest imo. If they were convicted criminals, they have already sucked enough from the system.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee
I'm not going to extrapolate into the usual brands of ATS Logic already in this thread, Xenophobia, Classism, and Racism all seem to be quite well represented without anyone else needing to add anything to them.

I would just like to suggest that Food is a basic human right.

Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness, right? Denying a fundamental element to sustaining Life, in this instance, food, is state sponsored denial of a basic human right. I do not care if someone has murdered, he should not be starved.

Clap, clap, clap and Bravo,

Couldn't of said it better myself.

I call it the "snobby class prejudice brats ungrateful for the blessings they Do have, murder, Violence, starts with

Lying and PRIDE, but alas, less we forget Those sins. I find it ironic, how some rationalize evil by Indirect Murder yet turn and like demon dogs of hell of Bashan, rip into shreds the felons, etc., or is cold blood murder by One snot class fine and dandy,

Just not from the Serf class????

Yea the hypocrisy on many things is astounding isn't it?

I don't like violent crimes anymore than anyone else, some are absolute horrific, and I'd be lying if I said there aren't numerous times I'd like to see sme hung up on poles for their Cruelty,

But I detest more so, the Priveleged snot that like a Pharisee stands in judgement and has no problem with the State murdering many, lumping All felons into one generalization,

That to me, is just another Cereal/serial Murderer,

One is the executioner,

The other, is a JUDAS. But they sure like their thirty pieces of blood silver...

And let's not forget, Numerous ex felons we are finding were Innocent the entire time they were in prison, couple of cases this year, should they be starved too? Or how about those youth with

Felony murder, where they don't DO the crime but are with or near the Vincinity, should they be starved too?

Yea, you are right, racism, classism, you name it, it's here, and really they aren't so concerned with justice or good and evil,

Just selfish and dare anyone ask mercy from them...but I bet, the flies on their walls, void write a BOOK about

Their Sins, betrayals and Soul murders, you betcha.
edit on 25-5-2013 by ThreeBears because: Typos

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join