It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No food stamps for people convicted of violent crimes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by UNIT76
well, food and nutrition, water.. basic human rights.. take these away from someone and how do you expect them to turn out?

i think this is just another example of how the new society is going to squeeze all the 'undesirables' out

..never mind all those psychopaths in washington with the drone programs, etc..

Poor criminals. They just may have to go to work if they want to eat.

yeah, what was i just saying about 'washington'

edit on 25-5-2013 by UNIT76 because: hindsight is 20/20

To say that food, nutrition, and water are basic human RIGHTS... let me tell you, you have it all wrong. These are not rights, these are privileges. You WORK for them, just as our founding fathers intended it to be. As if people in this country think that it is a RIGHT to take money from others. Society won't squeeze the undesirables out, they will just FAIL or they will learn not to.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I wish I could swear on this site and get away with it, I would have a few things to say to you for this comment, I got in trouble at a young age for a violent crime. It was a simple BS charge. I work 58 hours a week on avrg, and still struggle to feed myself, food stamps are a GOD send. If they took them away from me then I would be forced to get a second job, (while attending school) or quit the job I"m at to get another job that works out better.
I wish some people that makes statements like you made were in front when they said it, cause I swear they would choose their words more carefully after that day. Oh and by the way, I PAID INTO THOSE INCASE I EVER NEED THEM, I PAY MY TAXES, I HAVE A RIGHT TO THEM IF I NEED THEM.
edit on 25-5-2013 by I1Am1Ready1Are1You because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allenb83

Originally posted by UNIT76
well, food and nutrition, water.. basic human rights.. take these away from someone and how do you expect them to turn out?

i think this is just another example of how the new society is going to squeeze all the 'undesirables' out

..never mind all those psychopaths in washington with the drone programs, etc..

yeah, what was i just saying about 'washington'

edit on 25-5-2013 by UNIT76 because: hindsight is 20/20

To say that food, nutrition, and water are basic human RIGHTS... let me tell you, you have it all wrong. These are not rights, these are privileges. You WORK for them, just as our founding fathers intended it to be. As if people in this country think that it is a RIGHT to take money from others. Society won't squeeze the undesirables out, they will just FAIL or they will learn not to.

Actually most claiming they work for them, Dont. They gain by those that DO WORK, and often the hardest, so...that aside,

Everyone Should c tribute something, because that's human dignity. But fact is there are many who have gained by robbing the labor of others, and it's usually them that scream the Loudest against helping the more vulnerable, heck they even starve their own Mothers! So much for Privelege,

And the whole it's not a Right thing,

Can Someone please reveal to us the Human who

Created streams? Fruit trees? grains? herbs? I'd like to meet them,

Because if what you say is true, then Mother Nature sure has some collecting of back fees due don't ya think? She's not only been robbed, but raped (mined for gold and jewels that Last I checked no little peon human PUT there) and left scarred, her forests cuts down, her young ones (animals) destroyed,

And for What?

Man didn't CREATE THAT...not White man

So, what gives Man Rights to Land? Thieves much? And then to top it off, they parceled mother nature up while Murdering others shedding innocent blood onto HER SOIL

And MAN don't think one day she isn't going to demand reparations????

Oh, That's right, when it comes to Genocide of Native Indians (stolen food, water, land, etc) and raping lands aka mining, THAT'S then a RIGHT

Just dont let the poor or the colored folk say that!!! For Them,

It's a "privilege",

I see....

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeBears

Bringing race into this is despicable and it speaks volumes of your character. That's all I will say on that.

I don't totally agree with the OP. Like others have stated, it is hard enough to get a descent job let alone for a convicted felon. Hell, I just lost a job because of a misdemeanor! (1 text message at 9:30 pm, it was "too late") so yeah...

I think that with all the government officials that there are that some should play 'detective' and look into those abusing the system and ban them permanently so that way others, such as myself can get the needed help.

Btw, I'm a single father of 2, I rent (which I can't afford every month) and the only job I could land 4 years ago was minimum wage and I qualified for $19 a month on SNAP. I know of other men in the same situation.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
For kids, how about a nice dinner meal late in the afternoon and a place to work on their schoolwork....at school. No foodstamps.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by antar

I think I agree with a lot of your feelings and it's enraging to see a high % of some counties right in this area lined up at the Food Stamp/Family Services offices like it's the entertainment of the town or something. Economic depression does that though.....

There are certainly programs I would like to see reformed. They need to back off SNAP though. They REALLY REALLY do, IMO. We have high unemployment (as high as 30+% among some segments of young adults) and we have desperation with homelessness at record levels and prospects for this getting better being a distant thing in most folk's lives.

What we are missing for open warfare in our streets and a body count at the end of each day is TRUE hunger. Not the rumble of wanting more ding dongs while playing the latest Xbox....but honest to God, gut churning hunger.

I'm all for seeing the food distribution programs reformed at some future point ...but while we're in some of the worst economic times in living American history...likely isn't the best time for it. Let's also keep in mind, the Pentagon request for money came just under 700 Billion for 2013. By 2017, ALL food assistance programs combined are estimate to total around 100 Billion. It's pennies on the dollars for what any civilized nation ought to have for a baseline min, IMO.

You wabbitt made the point. Hunger is a real thing that people respond to. Their response varies with the intensity of their hunger. I agree that removal of this basic support is at best counter productive, and almost assuredly leads to more criminal and undesirable behavior. Drug testing and other jump thru the hoop kinda of requirements ignores reality,

The call to get a job, get a better job, or get an additional job, to many is a mockery Wages so low that food assistance is a necessity is a reality many face, and the call for even more effort from what appears to be a privileged elite at one point will fall on deaf ears.

Wabbitt I like your question Was it planed? Can events be moved by controlling hunger?

As to the politics of it. Aside from food, which should i think be a given. any general assistance should be substantial, and require a recipient to show an engagement in regular structured activity of a productive nature.With assistance, in fulfilling that requirement, available.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
To those who think this is a bad idea.

What we are doing now isn't helping on any issue.

Darwinism would suggest that those solely on the government dole are not the "fittest" and should be left to die off.

Handing them food stamps, and $300 a week wont stop them from committing violent crimes. having lived in the "ghetto" for a time when I was younger and witnessing this first hand. Despite what your told, poverty is a choice.
you can choose to give up and stay there, or buckle down, do right, and claw your way out. Many choose not too.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Way to increase violent crimes. Revenge politics never achieves anything except an increase in the original problems. Those who may be inclined to commit criminal and violent acts, will now have no other option. It worries me that people with such flawed thinking and lack of vision are making decisions which affect us all.
edit on 26-5-2013 by thoiter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
If anyone in this forum really believes they earned their
way through life all on their own, they are egotistical and flat
out wrong honestly, everything we have, need or want
was built by those who came before us, many seem
sold on this idea that it is ok to throw away more food
every single year than it would take to feed everyone on the planet
simply because someone else has claimed ownership
of something and out of sheer spite and desire to continue
abusing others they will not allow the food to go where it
needs to.

Food should be a basic human right, every human could
provide for themselves if we had not created this wasteland
of ideals wherein we see one segment of the world claiming
ownership over the hard work of billions only to then claim
its all theirs, simply for pieces of paper........ the food is there
the ability is there the only thing missing is the realization that
we are simply allowing those who claim a "right" to punish
those they have deemed "unworthy" "lazy" or a "blight".

Nah this issue is simply more greed deciding that some
must suffer so that others may prosper when there is
no real need for that, they could be fed, and fed well,
without anyone losing anything, the problem they have
is that it will not increases their profit, they would rather
simply throw it away to ensure that someone is forced
to buy it or else. its the new form of slavery really. conform
to modern societies ideals or suffer.
edit on 26-5-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
They better up their security with the money they save starving all those violent criminals. lol idiots. Besides we was already paying for everything when they was in jail.
edit on 26-5-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

So they are going to cut off basic food assistance, among already desperate people, to the MOST violent among the desperate. ....and who thought this was a good idea??

It's almost as if they want to see how bad they can make this summer by setting up conditions for maximum unrest and rage among the people. Bad Bad ideas from simple minded fools, IMO.

This is a terrible plan! I'm not joking! It is terrible ethically and it is terrible logistically!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

So they are going to cut off basic food assistance, among already desperate people, to the MOST violent among the desperate. ....and who thought this was a good idea??

It's almost as if they want to see how bad they can make this summer by setting up conditions for maximum unrest and rage among the people. Bad Bad ideas from simple minded fools, IMO.

This is a terrible plan! I'm not joking! It is terrible ethically and it is terrible logistically! I feel like we are being ruled by Geoffrey from Game of Thrones - incompetent and ruthless.

People who commit violent crimes probably pick it up culturally from their low-income surroundings, for the most part. Not getting money for food could easily increase their violent crime rate both from being frustrated and from starving!
edit on 26-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I think it's time to give the republicans and the democrats their last meal, a cigarette and a blindfold...They just keep digging our graves deeper and deeper...I can't stand all their bullsh!t that they keep slinging its always something redickuless every day...Arrrg....MAKE IT STOP!!!

edit on (5/26/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What work? Most areas still have a high unemployment rate. And depending on what demograph, that unemployment rate is much, much higher.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

People who commit violent crimes probably pick it up culturally from their low-income surroundings, for the most part.

BS. This is so utterly classist that your not ever getting forgiven for such an ignorant comment. Violent people are just violent. At higher levels of the socioeconomic system, violent people have more of an incentive to pretend to not be violent. Studies have already shown that poor people on average, are more ethical then rich people on average.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I do not think this is poorly thought out, this has been very we'll thought out. They know the effects this will have socially and I feel the us government are instigating violence and unrest on purpose.

PROBLEM (unrest) REACTION (call for govenment help) SOLUTION (???)

Let the hunger games begin.....

The government only wants passive, obedient slaves. It could be a way for them to sort the wheat from the chaff, FEMA camps could finally have a use as the government intervenes and removes the offenders, and prisons become over run.
edit on 26-5-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by blivey

That is the real problem. It is the criminal mind that knows how to work the system.....

The real problem is people have been duped in believing there is such a thing as a criminal mind, and those with criminal minds need to be treated a certain way. Career criminals are often a product of their surroundings, not because they have a 'criminal mind.'

I promise you that if you haven't had a meal in days you would resort to crime to feed yourself.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorkwj2002
To those who think this is a bad idea.

What we are doing now isn't helping on any issue.

Darwinism would suggest that those solely on the government dole are not the "fittest" and should be left to die off.

Handing them food stamps, and $300 a week wont stop them from committing violent crimes. having lived in the "ghetto" for a time when I was younger and witnessing this first hand. Despite what your told, poverty is a choice.
you can choose to give up and stay there, or buckle down, do right, and claw your way out. Many choose not too.

When you are given a free place to live, free money every month, and free food plus whatever handouts one can get then you are not living in poverty. Many people who live in 'poverty' in the US live far above the standard of living for the rest of the world. However we still have many homeless and many people who benefit from Food Stamps and other programs.

If the government truly wanted to save money on the food stamp program, they would go after those who abuse the system, not deny people in need to mistakes in their past.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Hello revolving door to prison for violent offenders! I do not like violent offenders but all this will do is cause more muggings more robberies etc... People with felonies already have no were to go and no work now we aren't going to feed them as well? Theres only one way for them to answer that, more crime. Are these lawmakers smoking crack?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllGloryIsGods
reply to post by Cabin

Are these lawmakers smoking crack?

Maybe, but that's okay because they are above the law.

However they probably have stock in the prison industry. More prisoners = more profits and more slave labor!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join