It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dumbest question posted.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

Alot of people are just peaces of sh*t they are the same type of people that love watching videos of people getting killed or slaughtered its hard to believe but its what the world has turned them into disgusting....

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Well, if you have the means to rebuild again and again and again, you have the means to rebuild.. somewhere further down the road?

I say the same thing about all the people in the thick fire prone bushland.

the TV commentator asks

'' how will you go about getting your life back together now? ''

the person who just lost his house in the fire replies

'' we lost our house last year, we rebuilt stronger, we have lost it again, we will rebuild and we will never let it beat us ''

.... umm, why the hell did you rebuild in a forrest that burns down every year you muppet?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Well, lets face it, when Mother Nature decides to put forth a disaster scenario, there is NO "safe" place. Take for instance, Yellowstone caldera. Scientist say they have recently discovered that the magma flow amount under the area is 50% larger than originally thought. Regardless, even if it isn't that much, no matter...if the volcano goes off, folks in the immediate area will be killed instantly, of course. A good portion of the rest of the US will die slow deaths from ash laden roofs that cave in, breathing in the volcanic particles that will be like tiny razor blades cutting up lungs, crops and cattle will die and people will starve because of the nuclear winter type scenario from the sun being blocked out. The US and great parts of the entire world will not be safe and succumb eventually.

The New Madrid goes off, same type of dealy...not enough crops, cattle....no way to transport goods and so forth. If a large land mass sank into the ocean from earthquake or whatever, many deaths from floods/tsunamis/drowning. If we have to always worry about "safe" areas then we are in big trouble. A big enough disaster and there will be no safe area. We all just have to live our lives to the best of our ability, hope and pray for the best. Worrying about where places are "safe" is an excercise in futility...terrorist nuke could end even a so called safe area. There is no real answer. Live life to the fullest and be kind and loving is about the best we can do. Be kind to our fellow man and love our families, that's the main thing. Worry/stress kills too.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Its popular in our society to condemn people for something that a few people deem stupid or wrong.

I'm sure a lot of people who posted that question have listened to Carlos Mencia.

Carlos Mencia is hilarious, and pretty intelligent, and while he's one of my favorite comedians, I don't agree with him on a few things, and he can be a bit gross and merciless sometimes.

This would be an example of him being kinda merciless.

I'm sure a lot of people posting the "You're stupid if you don't move!" stuff have heard Carlos Mencia, or something similar, and they're regurgitating what they've heard from something popular or funny, like, for example, Carlos.

Don't pay too much mind to them.

People with little experience have little sympathy.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch
Well, here in Oklahoma, we had a few tornadoes yesterday, everybody knows by now. A few threads have been posted about it. Where I live, we were lucky, Miami, didn't get hit, Wyandotte did, but I don't think anybody was hurt, just a few trees down and the power is out.

People keep posting things like "Why would you live there?" or "I have no pity on those who know this will happen and stay."

What is wrong with you people? Do you really think people have the means to just uproot? Natural disasters happen nearly everywhere in the world.

Did you say that when Katrina hit, or when Japan got hit by that Tsunami? If people relocated in the US because of natural disasters, we'd all be crammed into Alaska.

Have a heart, and use your brain, people!

Alaska is really cold, people would die of ice storms. Get real. You were lucky in Miami. And now you're just gambling every time the weather alerts say tornado watch.

Like Floridians gamble with hurricanes, and Californians gamble with earthquakes, and people in Detroit gamble with criminals. Some people think long term investment with their houses, and it appears, as there is an actual tornado season in places like Oklahoma and Kansas, some people would be wiser investing elsewhere than literally having their money sucked out the window. When the big sky god pulls out the fat middle finger on your house, and reduces it to rubble, take a hint and think about where to live before you see your children drowning in the local school basement. I have sympathy for victims but the rebuilding attitude sounds kinda ignorant of the facts and statistics of the locality.

It's not a powerball where you might get hit, if you're in 'tornado alley', count on getting hit. Count on it and you'll never be surprised. It's like running around having unprotected sex hoping you won't get pregnant or an std. Bad winning at life strategy. When tornado season is Oklahoma's time to shine in the press, it's not good. So many the calloused thing could be said that the smart ones leave, the stupid ones rebuild, and maybe they're masochists.

Think positive about relocation if the local weather is too much.
edit on 22-5-2013 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

What would you suggest? Would you rather be flooded out, pulled into the earth, blown away in a hurricane, or perhaps you'd prefer a volcano.

There is no spot in the country that doesn't have some sort of natural disaster.

I've lived here my entire life, and have never lost anything to a tornado.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MadMax7

As I've said already, I've never had to rebuild, there are steps you can take to ensure loss prevention.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Yeah, because earthquakes, flash floods, and volcanoes don't exist in this country.

I am pretty sure you're missing the point.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Well, most of us haven't lost anything to a tornado, at least in my area of the state.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalphon

Originally posted by dave_welch
Well, here in Oklahoma, we had a few tornadoes yesterday, everybody knows by now. A few threads have been posted about it. Where I live, we were lucky, Miami, didn't get hit, Wyandotte did, but I don't think anybody was hurt, just a few trees down and the power is out.

People keep posting things like "Why would you live there?" or "I have no pity on those who know this will happen and stay."

What is wrong with you people? Do you really think people have the means to just uproot? Natural disasters happen nearly everywhere in the world.

Did you say that when Katrina hit, or when Japan got hit by that Tsunami? If people relocated in the US because of natural disasters, we'd all be crammed into Alaska.

Have a heart, and use your brain, people!

Alaska is really cold, people would die of ice storms. Get real. You were lucky in Miami. And now you're just gambling every time the weather alerts say tornado watch.

Like Floridians gamble with hurricanes, and Californians gamble with earthquakes, and people in Detroit gamble with criminals. Some people think long term investment with their houses, and it appears, as there is an actual tornado season in places like Oklahoma and Kansas, some people would be wiser investing elsewhere than literally having their money sucked out the window. When the big sky god pulls out the fat middle finger on your house, and reduces it to rubble, take a hint and think about where to live before you see your children drowning in the local school basement. I have sympathy for victims but the rebuilding attitude sounds kinda ignorant of the facts and statistics of the locality.

It's not a powerball where you might get hit, if you're in 'tornado alley', count on getting hit. Count on it and you'll never be surprised. It's like running around having unprotected sex hoping you won't get pregnant or an std. Bad winning at life strategy. When tornado season is Oklahoma's time to shine in the press, it's not good. So many the calloused thing could be said that the smart ones leave, the stupid ones rebuild, and maybe they're masochists.

Think positive about relocation if the local weather is too much.
edit on 22-5-2013 by Sandalphon because: (no reason given)

Considering I've lived here for 26 years and have never lost anything to a tornado, I'd say my odds were pretty good. It has nothing to do with being stupid if you stay and rebuild. Even if you could move, what would you do for work? It's not just a walk in the park when you have to start over completely, away from family, and having to make new friends.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLotLizard

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
reply to post by TheLotLizard

California has it share of volcanoes, and with it being a seismic area i will not be surprised if one of those volcanoes blow soon, As beautiful as Northern Cali is I would suggest moving if you live near any of the volcanoes. With the drought they have been having lately there also has been a lot of wildfires, which not only destroys life but damages health and well being. And now California has radiation floating over from japan. Ive noticed that cali has stayed relatively safe from disaster for a long time, as you previously mentioned, which means that something is coming sooner rather than later

You know what's funny I live in the mountains actually 5 miles from the closest volcano. Even with a drought its not affected us in the very least. Im guessing you dont know how much water the sierra Nevada has stored in its reservoirs. We supply all of the valley and san francisco. The wildfires have never been an issue since most of it burns up anyways. Also to burst your bubble the fires are beneficial to the health of californias ecosystem.

So thanks for being a stereotype just like everyone else to never study California.

Im happy where I am in Yosemite.

The drought has affected California in a negative way, not only do crops get affected, I see the creeks and rivers get smaller every year, and this isn't calis first drought, this is like the 3rd or 4th one in like 30 years, and after each drought breaks and we get dumped on the next drought comes along and stays even longer, wild fires not only affect ones health it also cost the state of California and its taxpayers alot of money. Last time I checked cali is about to go bankrupt.

Northern cali supply's a lot of water to other places which doesn't help the drought situation. by the way i hope your not proud of the fact you give you water away, if i were you i would be pissed. The only reason why the fire can be any benefit is because of the drought. The forests are getting dry and sick and old, this allows the fires to spread quick and take a lot of acreage. This fires do promote young healthy vibrant regrowth that takes less water to maintain, but if there was no drought in the first place the fires would not be necessary.

also ive seen the evidence of volcanic eruption radius's go beyond five miles, so like i said be wary. A solid fallout bunker would be a nice investment, and if it doesn't blow in your life time then you have a cool little chillin spot under your house or wherever.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The problem is those people don't know how to build a secure home. Nor, will they ever have the ability to afford it. Think in pyramid terms. They withstand time. I'm sure those pyramids underwent some natural disasters and still stand. Some stand even under water still, such as Japan's.

I also understand the mentality of I was here since 19 dikkity two(Simpson's reference) and I'm not leaving no matter what comes! To some people it's home to them and they rather stay and rebuild. I think they should focus on how they rebuild. The previous engineered model of their home wasn't too well thought out in my opinion for being in tornado alley or whatever type of disaster zone they reside in.

It's sad they lost their homes and possessions, but people have to think. Some common sense should be inside their heads. Those typical homes are not tornado proof. I think those should be pertinent questions to building a domicile. How can I meteor/tornado/earthquake/flood/acid rain/predator drone/killer bee/zombie proof my house? Now, that sounds hard, but I hope I conveyed my idea.

I wish them the best.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

A lot of people think this happens all the time, and have no understanding of how rare this outbreak is. First off, we do have storms but most of the time, they are not severe. When they are severe, they are rarely. Tornadic. When they are tornadic, it is rare that they produce a tornado in a populated area. Tornados are typically weak, short lived and not very life threatening. What is even more rare is having tornados of the magnitude that we're talking about. These weren't just tornados, this was a meteorological event with odds next to nothing of occurring. You have a better chance of dying in a car accident than being hit by a tornado.
Any person who asks this question you mention has no understanding of the weather or climate. I imagine they are probably biased for some other ignorant reason as well.
Also, most older homes here were built with basements or storm/bomb shelter. The whole "its too expensive" thing is bs. Anyone can afford it. My grandfather built a storm cellar by himself. The homes without shelters are all post-Cold War. The elementary school I went to was an in-earth shelter.
edit on 5/22/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
There is always one alternative to moving, if you live in a high risk area for hurricanes or tornados. That alternative is to build a better house.

What I mean is, stick built homes just aren't strong enough. What you need is a home made from Insulated Concrete Forms with walls about 4 inches thick. Homes built with such material are able to easily withstand 350 mph winds whereas a traditional stick built house can not.

I know that not everyone can just pack up and leave at a moments notice. You can't just quit your job and move. So instead, plan for the worst and do the best you can where you are.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
why o why do people that live in places that tornados happen in build wooden houses and all that wires overhead ????? wtf try building with bricks and putting the cables under ground

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by billdadobbie

Brick houses get blown down just as much as wooden ones, but you knew that because you're so smart, right?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Moore, gets hit repeatedly. Once they recorded the highest winds on Earth at 330mph there. The damn school should have had a safe room or underground shelter.

I know when I was a kid, De Kalb Texas was hit over and over again throughout the years. Nothing like this though. I never would have moved to De Kalb Texas by the way.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 23-5-2013 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Yes I agree with you... but theres the other side of the coin also. Sometimes I look at all those people near Vesuvius for instance (and that probably extends to Naples) and think "well... you know... remember Pompeii? Do you really want to live near an active dormant volcano? And if it erupts could we call it a "disaster" or simply stupidity?

So... there are places and places. Some you shouldnt want to live in and some you shouldnt even be allowed to live near. But hey... I've been to Pompeii and it has one hell of a view, I give them that...

In your case I think people refer to the cycle of "tornado > rebuild > tornado > rebuild > tornado > rebuild > tornado > rebuild"... so, to be honest the first question that comes to mind is "why dont you... move?"

Its not that people dont have a heart, I think its a reasonable and legitimate question to be honest. I mean, you do know the cycle, the risks, and everything else... why stay on the path of a destructive unstoppable force of nature? Every year the ocean comes and sweeps my house... will I rebuild? No... I'll move.

Well its the development of society in history.

Vulcanoes are like women, deadly but fertile
although we know for ages vulcanoes can give deadly troubles the part that kills us produces fertile grounds to cultivate.

Same with oceans, rivers and river delta's we tended to live near them for food and transportation that caused our trading capabilities. And we are creatures of habbit so we tend to stay where we are.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
SIMPLE. if you live in the red zone of Tornado Alley and chances are that you will be hit by at least one of those +15 tornadoes a year, MOVE AWAY. Don't rebuild. You are just delaying the inevitable and extending the cycle of torture to your children. Think ahead and be smart!
edit on 5/23/2013 by curlygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I know what you mean, we live in lese then "ideal' conditions and when we mention it to someone else, the first words out of their mouths is "Why don't you move?"

Usually if all you can do is complain about it means you don't have the money to move, to a better place/or state.
Just saying.

Take it from the voice of experience.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join