It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ice Melt "has the momentum of a runaway train."

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptAmerika

Still holding on to that "Global Warming" with all your might ain't ya? It has been determined by scientists that the description "Climate Change" is far more accurate. Why did they change the name? Some armchair scientist from ND will have a colder than usual year and think he knows more than scientists.

BTW one of the finer points of climate changes includes a possible small ice age. Get used to colder than usual winters.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Climate Change has been happening since the earth formed.
Global Warming is what it was coined to steal money from ignorant folks pockets.
I accept Climate Change, I also accept nothing I do is going to change it.

If the latest word im hearing ends up being true it wont matter anyways, it s being said that the dispersant used on the oil spill in the gulf caused the oil to sink and has begun to slow the Atlantic conveyer pushing warm gulf water up north.
The end result in a disruption like this would be a mini ice age.
I for one require actual facts before I jump on board with a theory but if this one is true you will witness some REAL Climate change.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

Still holding on to that "Global Warming" with all your might ain't ya? It has been determined by scientists that the description "Climate Change" is far more accurate. Why did they change the name? Some armchair scientist from ND will have a colder than usual year and think he knows more than scientists.

BTW one of the finer points of climate changes includes a possible small ice age. Get used to colder than usual winters.

They changed it from Global Warming to Climate Change because of changes in solar activity which is what causes most of the warming of our planet, and when we started going through a period of lower solar activity, the reality hit, they couldn't justify "Global Warming" propaganda.
People still want to believe the propaganda though, which has been slopped onto our plates by the likes of Maurice Strong, Mikhail Gorbachev, and the radical environmentalist lobby, which really does want to take us back to cave man living.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

Just a point of clarification Climate Change is right wing doublespeak by the magician who makes up words to hide the rights idiocy Frank Luntz No real scientists involved

Although Luntz later tried to distance himself from the Bush administration policy, it was his idea that administration communications reframe "global warming" as "climate change" since "climate change" was thought to sound less severe.[14] Luntz has since said that he is not responsible for what the Bush administration did after that time. Though he now believes humans have contributed to global warming, he maintains that the science was in fact incomplete, and his recommendation sound, at the time he made it.[15]

en.wikipedia.org...

The more you know, the more you find you are wrong. Funny how your LOL smiley face seems a little foolish.

edit on 6-5-2013 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by bbracken677

Not without basically returning to a lifestyle equivalent to that of North American Indians

As it happens, the plan of Agenda 21 is to crowd everyone into the cities in apartments and condos, eliminate single family homes, provide bike paths and eliminate as many cars as possible, ration resources, drive people out of the land, regulate private wells, eliminate such affluent American things as air condition(yes, it's in the plan), and much much more.

www.democratsagainstunagenda21.com...

I'm so glad this thread was posted so I can connect the dots for everyone.

This is something that has about as much chance of happening as the odds for me winning every lottery in the US in one month......just nutcase nonsense. Do you honestly think people would allow this to happen? There would be a total breakdown in society first.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptAmerika
Whatever.
I live in North Dakota where it was MAY before we saw 50 degrees.
Even now it gets down in the 30's at night.
But then again, anytime you mention these little oddities the Climate fear mongers will tell you its ALL part of Global Warming.

Global Warming? Just another money grab from a bunch of left wing crisis creators.

Note that the terminology has changed from global warming to climate change? Since global temps have remained pretty static over the last 10-12 years they had to change the rhetoric.

If you look at many that are pushing the agenda, they have much money invested and profits to be made the more that people buy into it. It's is all politicized with the ultimate culprit being man....

Yet if you look at solar activity you see some correlations that they do not want to discuss. We also will not talk about the weakening magnetosphere, nor about the hole in the magnetic field the size of California that existed out in the south atlantic about 10 years ago...I have not researched it lately so I cannot claim it has grown, diminished or even whether it still exists.

Much more convenient to blame man in order to further an agenda.

Everyone should just run their A/C with their windows open to cool the earth... muahahaha that will fix it!!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

There would be a total breakdown in society first

the day you here the phrase" no more bailouts"
head for the basement

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
For those interested in reading the writing on the wall.

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

The answer, according to a new paper in Geophysical Research Letters, is that a lot of it is being stored in the deep ocean, more than a half-mile down. “We normally think about global warming as what we experience on the Earth’s surface,” said co-author Kevin Trenberth, of the National Center for Atmospheric Research, in an interview. If extra heat is temporarily stored elsewhere thanks to natural climate variations, we won’t necessarily notice it.

There are some good charts on this link, but I need to get an app updated.

What most people don't realize is that warming of deep water could be far worse than anything else.

This will add to rising ocean levels and put a lot of pressure on the continental shelves.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

For those interested in reading the writing on the wall.

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

The answer, according to a new paper in Geophysical Research Letters, is that a lot of it is being stored in the deep ocean, more than a half-mile down. “We normally think about global warming as what we experience on the Earth’s surface,” said co-author Kevin Trenberth, of the National Center for Atmospheric Research, in an interview. If extra heat is temporarily stored elsewhere thanks to natural climate variations, we won’t necessarily notice it.

There are some good charts on this link, but I need to get an app updated.

What most people don't realize is that warming of deep water could be far worse than anything else.

This will add to rising ocean levels and put a lot of pressure on the continental shelves.

Could you please elaborate on that last sentence?

Specifically the last part about pressure on the continental shelves?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Methane? I just hope the government doesn't bring up duct tape as a solution again, like they did back in 2003.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Doing some research on this - it is pretty sobering. These guys are not talking hypothetical's anymore, they are talking about current observable events. The tipping point - the thing that was going to happen in the distant future. Now it looks like it may happen in my life time, and I've probably only got 10 to 15 years left anyway.

The problem will manifest itself in lack of food from drought or rain or reduced growing seasons. This may be the extinction event you all have been hankering for.

Glad I old, sorry for my stepkids.

We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rats’ feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar

------------

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

The Hollow Men - T.S, Elliot

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
People are such fools.. we are going to laugh our way into extinction.

Tree huggers? The folks providing this info are scientists. Why do people ignore the credentials of those involved? Why do people ignore that the majority of the scientific community now agrees climate change is indeed happening. But per normal, if they don't agree with your belief system, they are "tree hugging liberals."

Why is it so hard to believe it IS actions by humans that caused this? Even very small unnatural transgressions against nature often have very noticeable and negative results. And we are not doing anything small on a global scale. Methane is where it has never been before.. and will go higher still. And you folks would like everyone to believe it's just a "cycle." That we are just coincidentally hitting it NOW, during a few hundred hears of huge industrial growth, in the span of 10s of thousands of years.

Just because you don't understand why doesn't mean it's not happening. Just because it MIGHT not be humans doesn't mean it's a good idea to bury our collective heads in the sand and just "hope for the best."

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Thanks for the awareness on the arctic ice melt season, it is something I have been glued to in the last couple of months. This does look like a positive feedback loop is in place and as the Northern hemisphere warms as the summer season approaches -- we could indeed have runaway global warming in under 5 years, perhaps 2.

To clarify on what would happen if the Arctic were ice free, we would look to the ice sheets of Greenland - not glacial ice because that volume of water is already displaced.

If the Greenland ice sheets do melt, then the world would be looking at a 7m (23 feet) increase in sea level rise.
- Source 1 - Wikipedia
- Source 2 - National Geographic

So, if the Arctic were to melt, coastal areas around the world should be underwater about 20 feet. How much of a percentage of the world's population lives around the current sea level?

The talking point about the Antarctic gaining ice makes complete sense, because the Northern hemisphere (Arctic) is going into the Summer (warm) season, while the Southern hemisphere (Antarctic) is going into it's winter (cold) season.

I'm pretty sure the arctic melt and antarctic freeze do not offset each other, especially if Greenland were to melt. I have to find where I read that again...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Our past ignorance has come to bite us in the butt. We ignored the people that were worried about this stuff saying they had no evidence. Well, here is the evidence, twenty years too late and irreversible. The most we can do now is to keep our extinction from happening within the next twenty five years. I doubt if people will change their ways enough though. I predict that there is going to be a major "natural" dieoff of humans in the next five years. Maybe a world wide bunch of unrelated diseases.

Not to point out the obvious, but a few months ago people of certain political dispositions were calling for the whole sale genocide of Republicans/Conservatives/Libertarians and Classical Liberals over the gun rights thing.

Most of those people who want to see me dead, enslaved or disenfranchised because of my race, creed, sexual orientation, and political beliefs, all mostly live along the coasts.

Since we live in an age were the political is personnel and the personnel is political...
Global warming is a good thing! As long as the rising sea levels happen fast like.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This is the article I wrote for the SF Examiner on the emergency meeting at the White House on the Arctic:

www.examiner.com...

I will post more news if I find out anything more....this meeting has been pretty hush hush - mostly foreign news outlets reporting on this.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines
Thanks for the awareness on the arctic ice melt season, it is something I have been glued to in the last couple of months. This does look like a positive feedback loop is in place and as the Northern hemisphere warms as the summer season approaches -- we could indeed have runaway global warming in under 5 years, perhaps 2.

To clarify on what would happen if the Arctic were ice free, we would look to the ice sheets of Greenland - not glacial ice because that volume of water is already displaced.

If the Greenland ice sheets do melt, then the world would be looking at a 7m (23 feet) increase in sea level rise.
- Source 1 - Wikipedia

So, if the Arctic were to melt, coastal areas around the world should be underwater about 20 feet. How much of a percentage of the world's population lives around the current sea level?

The talking point about the Antarctic gaining ice makes complete sense, because the Northern hemisphere (Arctic) is going into the Summer (warm) season, while the Southern hemisphere (Antarctic) is going into it's winter (cold) season.

I'm pretty sure the arctic melt and antarctic freeze do not offset each other, especially if Greenland were to melt. I have to find where I read that again...

Hey!

Wow. At last... someone with some real info.

Please DO show us your calculations for the total ice already in the ocean's waters, what the reduction will be in volume of the world's oceans when that ice melts, then the total ice on land and what the total volume that will then be added when it also melts...

And, of course, finally show us how these supposedly 'extra' water adds up to 23 feet of extra 'sea level' distributed over the ENTIRE surface of the Earth.

I just love math problems!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
There's those words again.

Could - Climate Models - Predicted

Climate models are fantasy, that's why they are MODELS!
Where's all the flooding? I thought we were supposed to be under hundreds of feet of water when the ice had even half melted!! I remember them saying that!

So, in two years time when we're all still here can we dispense with this highly profitable nonsense?

You won't be here in two years.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by golemina

Originally posted by Philippines

- Source 1 - Wikipedia

Hey!

Wow. At last... someone with some real info.

Please DO show us your calculations for the total ice already in the ocean's waters, what the reduction will be in volume of the world's oceans when that ice melts, then the total ice on land and what the total volume that will then be added when it also melts...

And, of course, finally show us how these supposedly 'extra' water adds up to 23 feet of extra 'sea level' distributed over the ENTIRE surface of the Earth.

I just love math problems!

Yeah, this particular issue has many many variables, though I will try to find those answers, and perhaps you would like to help since you love math =)

The topic about the Greenland ice sheet is valid, since this thread is about arctic warming. If you read the links provided, you would see that they estimate 23 foot sea level rise if Greenland melts. Of course, this is all best educated guess science since imo determining exact numbers for glacial volumes, and ice sheet volumes are changing daily.

On your questions about the 23 feet number for Greenland's ice sheet, it's there in wikipedia with sources:

If the entire 2,850,000 cubic kilometres (683,751 cu mi) of ice were to melt, it would lead to a global sea level rise of 7.2 m (23.6 ft)

If the surface ocean temperature does rise though, it could affect Antarctica, though I would have to read more about any interaction between the two. The Antarctic sheets do hold more ice volume than the Greenland sheet, so if the Antarctic were to melt too, we would be looking at a much higher rise in sea levels.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Hey again!

This isn't my first 'We are ALL doomed!' rodeo...

And in the spirit of the true ATS, I can't take the brunt of the fragility of the data, theory, and interpretation especially from such vaunted sites as Wikipedia and National Geographic on such a nice ATSer such as yourself, especially in appreciation of your splendid icon Philippines.

You guys have fun!

I'll be back in two years with a whole LOT of 'I told you so!'

Take it easy Philippines!

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join