It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ice Melt "has the momentum of a runaway train."

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I agree, I was being sarcastic, thats why i added barf at the end

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Saw tooth variations in charts are common, this means very little. The time intervals are hardly consistent enough to establish a clear pattern, and if you look over a larger time frame that pattern is not consistent.

However, this is irrelevant to the subject. Look at the left side of the chart.

The changes in methane Over the last 10,000 years is completely different. Methane levels did not drop like they did in the past. Methane levels have remained high.

Now if you did read the articles in the Op, you would know that if you updated this chart, current methane levels would be off the chart, over the top, more than double the past peeks

In the past, methane levels rose at the end of an ice age, as retreating glaciers exposéd frozen methane, which thawed, and increased methane levels.

This time methane is driving climate change.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
A couple of questions;

If the arctic sea ice melts, how much would global sea levels rise by?

If the melting of the arctic sea ice is due to the planet warming, what is causing the antarctic sea ice to grow?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gary29
If the melting of the arctic sea ice is due to the planet warming, what is causing the antarctic sea ice to grow?

Damn good question. Here's the best I could find:

This new research also helps explain why observed changes in the amount of sea ice cover are so different in the two polar regions. The Arctic has experienced dramatic ice losses in recent decades, while the overall ice extent in the Antarctic has increased slightly. However, this small Antarctic increase is actually the result of much larger regional increases and decreases, which are now shown to be caused by wind-driven changes. In places, increased northward winds have caused the sea ice cover to expand outwards from Antarctica. In contrast, the Arctic Ocean is surrounded by land, so changed winds cannot cause Arctic ice to expand in the same way.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gary29

The Arctic sea ice will not increase ocean levels, they essentially have had no effect on ocean levels because the ice floats on the water. However, as the arctic warm the glaciers on Greenland and the Islands of Northern Canada will melt in to ocean and increase the ocean levels. Those numbers are out there on the web if you desire to look them up.

While Antarctic sea ice is increasing in some areas, this due to glaciers on the continent flowing into the sea as a result of global warming. The sea ice is forming from the fresh water run off from the continent, and then gigantic icebergs are breaking off and moving North.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

It is really sad how completely brain washed some people are.

I'm not selling anything. I am just putting the writing up on the wall for those able to see.

Money can't fix this.

It is natural in that those who adapt will survive.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This answered alot of questions I had after reading this thread.

www.youtube.com...

I would really like to hear other participants in this thread voice their evaluation of this video.

From what I can tell, we are pretty well screwed and we are NOT going to change our ways
anytime soon to make much of a difference. It is rather calming to know that even though
I felt I was doing something for mother earth by recycling everything, it is not really our FAULT
that this 400k cycle is upon us.

It is rather exciting to know we are living in a time where we may actually not only see, but BE
a part of, an extinction level event. Not fear mongering in any way, shape or form, just wondering if
the scenes depicted in the movie "2012" could actually become our reality. We shall see...

???

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Great post Pheonix! I agree with your determination.

Any global climate change report that does not take into concideration the solar output changes is bogus.

Specifiaclly the density of space changes as the solar sytem travels around the galaxy constantly entering areas of less and more dense space, adding friction to the system or removing it (heat) in a constantly changing solar environment over time.

God Bless,

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hurry! Give Al Gore moar moneys!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by Kali74

Honestly, I don't see the political will to change ever arriving.

What I wonder is if civilization as we know it will collapse. I think changes could be that big.

Food shortages will hit first. We are likely to see super storms that massively damage infrastructure.

The most fragile system is the economy. An Economic break down could start shutting down things before actual climate change.

And here is the outrageous hubris of humans to believe that they can have such an effect on the globe in a short period of time....

I mean really...if you want to cool off the earth then everyone should just turn on their a/c's and open windows, right? LOL (sorry for the physics/engineering humor)

Granted we have probably had some negative effect on the earth over the last 50-100 years but this is not something that we can just decide to fix. "Hey! Lets reverse climate change!! Yeah!!".

Not without basically returning to a lifestyle equivalent to that of North American Indians...which just will not work given that there are some 7 billion of us here now.

From a geologist's point of view there is one thing about earth's climate that will not change and that is that change happens.

We are in an inter-glacial period now and will likely see (well, not us exactly, the earth will) a return to glaciation. We are many many years away from Antarctica melting and that is when we will see coastlines change. Can we stop it? I sincerely doubt it unless you can convince Brazil, China, India and other developing nations from developing / changing / improving / growing their economies. Wont happen. More likely would be a return to glaciation before Antarctica melts fully.

So...rather than wring our hands and cry "woe is us" we need to be preparing for how to deal with what is coming and we, obviously, need alternate supplies of energy for a wide variety of reasons.

Without a cost-effective energy source we are pretty much doomed in ways that dwarf flooding and rise in temps of a couple of degrees world wide. Cost in human lives from climate change = x...cost in human lives from the crash of civilization, energy wars, and all that will come from running out of energy = x squared or cubed. Not scientific, but making a point.
edit on 6-5-2013 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWriterChick

It's called Agenda 21 and the Club of Rome is behind it. Bill Gates is a member of Club of Rome. Bill Gates has given 5 billion of his own money and MS has partnered with UNESCO to fund Common Core Standards, which promotes Global Warming/Climate Change in it's curriculum.

www.conservative-daily.com...

conservativesonfire.wordpress.com...

www.green-agenda.com...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I suppose some folks don't realize just how many places get 100% of their drinking water from Glacial runoff. When the glaciers are gone it is going to be a huge set of problems, not just for those at sea level......

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

Not without basically returning to a lifestyle equivalent to that of North American Indians

As it happens, the plan of Agenda 21 is to crowd everyone into the cities in apartments and condos, eliminate single family homes, provide bike paths and eliminate as many cars as possible, ration resources, drive people out of the land, regulate private wells, eliminate such affluent American things as air condition(yes, it's in the plan), and much much more.

www.democratsagainstunagenda21.com...

I'm so glad this thread was posted so I can connect the dots for everyone.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
So how are we supposed to stop mother nature?? The planet has seen climate change in the past... are we supposed to thwart mother nature cuz we know best or something??

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
How reliable is UK progressive?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
clowns who live in fear deserve to be slaves

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

This is exactly what I have seen happen since 1980. It had been going on longer, but the effort had stalled until the phony energy crisis and the rise of free market economics.

Getting out of suburbia would the first thing to do.

Notice this information is not mainstream. Most people have no idea what lies ahead.

The silver lining is that renewable energy sources require labor, and are most effective on a small scale.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Whatever.
I live in North Dakota where it was MAY before we saw 50 degrees.
Even now it gets down in the 30's at night.
But then again, anytime you mention these little oddities the Climate fear mongers will tell you its ALL part of Global Warming.

Global Warming? Just another money grab from a bunch of left wing crisis creators.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
If Global Warming was such a big deal, Why is it that all the technology to thwart it is outrageously expensive for the common man?
Our govt has handed out more grant money to failed "green" businesses than we could even afford.
Yet a Chevy Volt costs more than a Chevy Camaro.

You want the people to do their part? Make the light bulbs affordable and not $10 a piece
Make the cars affordable.

But for some reason, Global Warming isn't a big enough deal to actually help the people do their part.

And why?

Because its a hoax to part fools from their money.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply tothe post by ThirdEyeofHorus

So..what you are saying is:
That people who support the proven insane disregard for facts that is known as MMGW are actually either willing profiteers or unwitting dupes who are not only helping certain elites justify the slaughter of not only as many of the poor unwashed common man as possible...
but also of themselves...

Oh! say it aint so! say it ain't so!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join