It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Israel used depleted uranium shells in air strike’ – Syrian source

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

srael used "a new type of weapon", a senior official at the Syrian military facility that came under attack from the Israeli Air Force told RT. “When the explosion happened it felt like an earthquake,” said the source, who was present near the attack site on the outskirts of Damascus on Sunday morning. “Then a giant golden mushroom of fire appeared. This tells us that Israel used depleted uranium shells

So they are doing the same thing that the US did in Iraq right? What a sinister thing that Israel has done here. Who are the real terrorists here I ask?rt.com...

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This in my own opinion is nearly as bad as using nuclear bombs against these countries. I am sure most of you have seen the poor babies born with such hideous deformities from the effects of DP being used in Iraq. This is every bit as much as a terrorist act as I can think of. I have heard in the past that the US has used this in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya. Are they trying to kill off even future generations by using this stuff?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I thought they hit a motherload of missiles?

Am I missing something?

The secondaries would cause the mushroom cloud surely.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

“Then a giant golden mushroom of fire appeared. This tells us that Israel used depleted uranium shells

No it doesn't. Be careful what you regurgitate on here... Depleted Uranium is used in ammunition to penetrate hardened targets, like armor. It does not in and of itself make "giant golden mushrooms of fire". The explosion was caused by stored hi explosives detonating.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I have heard in the past that the US has used this in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya. Are they trying to kill off even future generations by using this stuff?

No, just the people they were shooting at. The fallout is of course heartless and non discriminating. For anyone that encounters it.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Depleted uranium is the leftovers from the enriching process which is used to make power plant fuel. Depleted is mostly U-238, which is naturally occurring and appears in soil in all sorts of places. It comes from uranium ore, except the U-235 has been removed.

The reason they use depleted uranium is because of the density of the round and its penetrating ability. Its use has nothing to do with nuclear weapons. It is radoactive, but its radioactivity existed when it was mined for use in fuel in the first place. Use of DU rounds has never caused deformed babies. In its pure metallic state, it is very chemically stable and very unlikely to end up being ingested or otherwise affecting the earth's population.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

“Then a giant golden mushroom of fire appeared. This tells us that Israel used depleted uranium shells

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Yeah... what he said. :shk:

I think we have a fundamental misunderstanding of what depleted uranium shells are. Just my guess....

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

so israel is now using dirty bombs eh?

it's almost as if post WWII, the zionist movement became infiltrated by nazis
[not that there was much difference to begin with]
now toiling away at accomplishing covertly what they failed to accomplish overtly
[as it seems many have a difficulty making a distinction between jew and zionist, an intentional blurring zionism constantly engages in]

i mean, a lot of that DU dust will be carried back to israel by the wind, won't it?
edit on 5-5-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Using Depleted Uranium is Nothing new.

M-1 Tanks utilize depleted Uranium for their Sabot Service Rounds.

So don't expect a Mushroom Cloud from its use.

It basically aids in Kinetic Energy Penetration.

It is really amazing what it can do.

If a Sabot Round is Fired at say a T-72 with the hatches closed, the dart will penetrate one side of the hull, then the other side of the hull creating a vacuum and sucking EVERYTHINN that is Not secure out of a 4" hole. (to include people and equipment)

If that same round is fired at the same tank with the hatches open the dart will penetrate the hull at the entry point and completely rip the turret off of the tank and throw it up in the air about 20 feet. (pretty impressive for something that weighs 20-30 tons)

Edit to Note: After the use of a Depleted Uranium Round, there is a measurable level of Radioactivity from the Target.
edit on 5-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Yeah... what he said. :shk:

I think we have a fundamental misunderstanding of what depleted uranium shells are. Just my guess....

in all fairness, that statement is not the Op's but of a syrian official,
dreadfully behind the times, i might add.

i see you consider this kind of weaponry acceptable

from-hiroshima-to-iraq-61-years-of-uranium-wars

The conduct of secret nuclear wars since 1991, through the use of depleted uranium weaponry by the United States and Great Britain with their allies, has taken place in the Middle East, the former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan2 and Lebanon.3 It has been carried out for the express purpose of destroying the public health and mutilating the genetic future of vast populations in oil rich and/or pipeline regions.

Carpet and grid bombing with depleted uranium weaponry in Iraq, Yugoslavia and Afghanistan has guaranteed permanent radioactive terrain contamination. The recent discovery that U.S. depleted uranium bombs dropped by Israel on Lebanon in 2006 contained enriched uranium4,5 suggests covert testing of fourth generation nuclear weapons.

The United States and its allies are fully aware that this weaponry violates the Geneva and Hague Conventions and the 1925 Geneva Poison Gas Protocol.6 It meets the definition of WMD in the U.S. Code7 in two out of three categories. And its use violates U.S. military law.8 since the U.S. is a signatory to The Hague and Geneva Conventions.

The blueprint for depleted uranium radioactive poison gas weaponry – dirty bombs, dirty missiles and dirty bullets – was contained in a declassified memorandum9 dated Oct. 30, 1943. It was addressed to Gen. Leslie Groves, who was head of the Manhattan Project, the U.S. effort to build atomic bombs in World War II.

The recommendation for development of depleted uranium as kinetic energy penetrators was never mentioned in the Groves memo. It was specifically for depopulation.

The Groves memo makes it clear that in 1943, U.S. scientists recommended using radioactive poison gas weapons in order to contaminate the air, water, soil, food, environment and the blood of exposed populations. The long-term contamination is permanent, since uranium-238 has a half-life of 4.5 billion years, making contaminated areas uninhabitable for eternity.

For populations that must continue to live in contaminated areas, the long-term effects are lingering illnesses and mutilation of their DNA. Widespread depleted uranium contamination of DNA in populations results in the potential mutilation of future generations. Mutations induced in the DNA of a single egg or sperm which form a fertilized egg are expressed and repeated in every cell of the developing organism, and defects are passed on to all future generations11.

Not only are U.S. and allied soldiers exposed and civilian populations genocidally targeted, but the depleted uranium pollution is now global.12,13 In reality, we are all Gulf War veterans.

oh wrabbit!
alas, i knew him in a "past life"
he's become so Dog-matic

but pay me no mind formerly wascally one,

as i am quite "insane".

edit on 5-5-2013 by TheMagus because: added reply to watchitburn

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

www.cadu.org.uk...

truth-out.org...&action=collapse_widget&id=9421171

Shall I say more about this evil intention of Israel..? Now who’s using WMD against whom.?? Pre-emptive attack based on assumptions with the radioactive materials..?

To hell with the Israel if you ask me..!

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Depleted uranium can cause health problems of people in the area. It can be inhaled into the lungs and cause problems. It is not as nearly widespread as a nuclear bomb so they made them legal in war. Since it is not considered a WMD it is not covered by international law. I wouldn't want one blowing off a mile from me.

Another thing to consider is what they blew up. There could have been nuclear material in that complex or even biological weapons. It's funny how it works. If you are a country that blows up something that contains extremely dangerous chemicals it is not a WMD crime but if you launch one of these weapons you have violated international law.

If anyone thinks thinks the radioactive material doesn't hurt people in the vicinity, maybe they should do a little research with their eyes open.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It always amazes me on here that you can read down the page... and even after something has been debunked, people still act as if it hasn't.

Deny Ignorance, indeed.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lynxpilot

what you are saying is nonsense, Its widely accepted by the scientific community that DU causes birth defects and increased risk of cancer.

Infant mortality rates, cancer and birth defects in Basra and Fallujah went off the scale after it was bombarded during the Gulf war, with 1/10 babys being born with defects, the highest level recorded in any city in the world and Cancer rates among children rose by 200%.
The same thing happened in Yugoslavia after 1999, with malignant disease also rising 200%.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

'in all fairness', we all stand behind what we choose to base an OP on, eh? The quote formed the OP point and so, it's fair game to cite as such. It gives an exceptionally misleading impression ..and you furthered that (altho I wasn't going to mention it) by actually implying it's a dirty bomb.

A dirty bomb is a bomb with radioactive material whose purpose is the spread that material and cause area denial to opposing troops (As MacArthur proposed using in the Korean War) or more commonly these days, radioactive waste to terrorize a civilian population. Depleted Uranium is nothing remotely like that and is, in fact, prized and used for the density of the projectile formed with it. If it were actually a radioactive hazard in it's own right, you would *NEVER* see the shells handled openly and casually by tank crews or ordinance people reloading A-10 pods for the chain gun, for instance.

(as someone noted, radioactivity is present after it's use on a target or even light across an area after extensive use...and I don't agree with it's arbitrary or casual use for that reason, Fallujah is a prime example)

Second...I never said I consider it acceptable. Not once, at any point. I said nothing but indicate what was being suggested here is flat wrong on what D.U. actually is.

I can't help but notice you are actually coming on in an almost personal way here. For a BRAND NEW account, I find that very odd. Do I know you from somewhere else? You sure seem to know me.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by auraelium

what you are saying is nonsense, Its widely accepted by the scientific community that DU causes birth defects and increased risk of cancer.

Infant mortality rates, cancer and birth defects in Basra and Fallujah went off the scale after it was bombarded during the Gulf war, with 1/10 babys being born with defects, the highest level recorded in any city in the world and Cancer rates among children rose by 200%.
The same thing happened in Yugoslavia after 1999, with malignant disease also rising 200%.

You're out of your league. That's a ridiculous statement with absolutely no scientific basis. It's exactly what I stated in my post. DU rounds are heavy so they penetrate armor. Whatever radioactivity that is inherent in the makeup of the rounds goes nowhere. The rounds just make nice holes. That's like saying the sun is radioactive so we need to do away with it.

More face palm.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

DU rounds do in fact leave measurable amount of radiation.

Here is some information if you care to come out of your league for a second and have a read.

skeptics.stackexchange.com...

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mungodave
I thought they hit a motherload of missiles?

Am I missing something?

The secondaries would cause the mushroom cloud surely.

Thats what i've been told to.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by TheMagus

1-'in all fairness', we all stand behind what we choose to base an OP on, eh? The quote formed the OP point and so, it's fair game to cite as such. It gives an exceptionally misleading impression ..and you furthered that (altho I wasn't going to mention it) by actually implying it's a dirty bomb.

2-A dirty bomb is a bomb with radioactive material whose purpose is the spread that material and cause area denial to opposing troops (As MacArthur proposed using in the Korean War) or more commonly these days, radioactive waste to terrorize a civilian population. Depleted Uranium is nothing remotely like that and is, in fact, prized and used for the density of the projectile formed with it. 2a-If it were actually a radioactive hazard in it's own right, you would *NEVER* see the shells handled openly and casually by tank crews or ordinance people reloading A-10 pods for the chain gun, for instance.

(as someone noted, radioactivity is present after it's use on a target or even light across an area after extensive use...and I don't agree with it's arbitrary or casual use for that reason, Fallujah is a prime example)

Second...I never said I consider it acceptable. Not once, at any point. I said nothing but indicate what was being suggested here is flat wrong on what D.U. actually is.

3- I can't help but notice you are actually coming on in an almost personal way here. For a BRAND NEW account, I find that very odd. Do I know you from somewhere else? You sure seem to know me.

1-Yes, but it's usual to attack the source here is it not?
2- ahem!...
DU is radioactive waste.
and you would pull a NIMBY if it were proposed that said waste were to be stored/buried near your house.
2a- [insert, "Please B*ch!" meme here] since when have those that give the orders ever cared whether soldiers were exposed to chem/bio/nuke? hell THEY've been know to inject the stuff into them.
3-

oh wrabbit!
alas, i knew him in a "past life"
he's become so Dog-matic

i know you of old...
as one possessed of "Crazy-Wisdom"
thus the familiarity...
and concern, which you've somehow seen as a personal attack

you say rightly that you do not condone it's use,
yet in softpeddling the matter are you not implying you do?
why make such a fuss about an ignorant expression by some foreign official, who is probably rattled,that has been soundly denied? [ROFL, it's like he's in the 50's regarding nuclear science]
you are becoming hardened IMO
careful you don't' go "sane"
if you are not careful you could achieve the peak of "sanity"
and become a full blown politician [ferae politicus]

but pay me no heed,
as i am quite "Mad".

top topics

<<   2 >>

join