It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Astrophotographers, all skill levels. Post your work.

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

Wow. That's an outstanding shot and better than most of my moon shots I've taken.

Good job!

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
a reply to: wmd_2008

Right on.... I weighed the pros and cons before buying the P900, I didn't buy it to take pictures of the stars, will be using the Canon T3 for that, I just need to save up for better lenses...... my next lens might be a wide-angle Rokinon 24mm f/1.4.

Another shot of the moon from the P900... 04/03/2017
No editing, just cropped and reduced to 90% to fit the upload limit.

quoting your post because of the thread paging.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Nice one, yeah the P900 has a crazy zoom, just to think you can take pictures of Jupiter with such a small camera. Amazing if you think about it.
Or that you can spy on your neighbour who live 100km away

Isn't the T3 a APS-C camera with a crop factor of 1.6? So that would make it a 39mm lens, take that into account.
From experience, 24mm on crop sensor isn't wide enough.
If you want to go wide on a crop sensor you have to go below 20mm.
Rokinon/Samyang has a 16mm for crop sensors if I'm not mistaken.
I have the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm and love that lens, the only drawback is that you can't put filters on it. The lens is also usable for full frame sensor cameras.
There is also the Tokina 11-16mm or the newer Tokina 11-20mm which is for crop sensor cameras. Both are very good lenses with f2.8 aperture.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I was just curious thread paging? Is this like when you click on the last post you get a blank page?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

The P900 is nice, it's been great for bird watching..... there should be posted warning signs for cameras like this, "All Activities Monitored By Video Camera" ... I imagine their successors will be 10x better, with mega zooms, lasers and see through x-ray vision etc.... haha

I didn't think about the focal length on the T3, the Tokina 11-20mm would be a great choice. : ) I'm also attracted to that low f/1.4 on the 24mm.... but your probably right, I'd be happier with a wider 11-20mm, and it's in the same price range.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I can't stop taking pictures of the Moon with the P900!
This one from last night....

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

I was just curious thread paging? Is this like when you click on the last post you get a blank page?

No, I mean that the thread went to a new page and hid his last post with that wonderful picture. Too many people just look at the last post.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Love the detail on the craters!

Looks like all the T-storms of the last several days have finally blown themselves out so I can get back out there myself.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Ah wait, the Moon, that's right.

Crud.

Have to wait until the 12th to the 13th to get dark skies in the evening again.

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Same here buddy, a week of clear skies and there comes the moon.
I start to believe there are dark forces working against us

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Ha!

But we WANT the dark!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Yeah nothing but the Moon for a bit....

Tonight I might try the Moon or Jupiter again with a 4mm eyepiece on the Canon, I haven't used the T-ring adapter much.... Just for practice till I get a real telescope....

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator

Yeah nothing but the Moon for a bit....

Tonight I might try the Moon or Jupiter again with a 4mm eyepiece on the Canon, I haven't used the T-ring adapter much.... Just for practice till I get a real telescope....

That is one LONG zoom on the P900!
That thing is really impressive, my first digital camera was a Nikon 990, it wasn't about zoom at all, but for a 3.34 megapixel camera, it could take some really decent shots, especially for back in the day.
This thing though, that's crazy, I bought my wife a Canon point and shoot camera a few years ago and sold it fairly quick because one, she wouldn't use it, and two, it really wasn't that good of a camera, and it was the top of the line at the time. I own several Canon cameras so I ain't hatin'!

Is there ANY way that you can take a shot of the moon and have it to where it could be downloadable? The reason I ask is, I might be interested in getting one, but I'd really like to see it up close and personal, I am a real pixel peeper. If you can't or don't want to, I do understand, it's just that it has impressed me, that's all.
If they would just put make this a 1.6 crop sensor, that is really all that is lacking. 7 frames per second is really good, my second digital camera only had 4 fps and it was usable on birds in flight.

Anyway, very impressed here!
Nice moon shot, in my best camera and lens that totals $16,000 I can't do that! (It will only get me a total of 800mm's, a 400mm lens, and a 2.0 converter)

Just a quick thought here, have you ever taken multiple shots and stacked them with that camera? The reason I ask is, if you did, I would imagine that the clarity of the end result would be pretty great. I would also think that you could take frames from video and do the same, that's what they do with astro-photography and they get some crazy good stuff.

The rest of you are doing some good stuff too, I was happy to see that there is something for photographers here.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
"Is there ANY way that you can take a shot of the moon and have it to where it could be downloadable? The reason I ask is, I might be interested in getting one, but I'd really like to see it up close and personal, I am a real pixel peeper."

Never mind on that, I found some where I could check out the pixels.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Recently ordered a new Meade telescope with tracking and all!
You're pics have made me extremely excited.
Hopefully I'll be posting my own soon, I live in South Africa, so I should be able to get out to places with close to no light pollution.

Flagging this thread! ATS is a wonderful place

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: recrisp

Flickr do as search for P900 moon images.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

The reason for the huge zoom is the small sensor try a crop from your set up and there wont be that much difference in the image.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hoping to get a shot of the Leo Trio tonight. 3 galaxies, M66, M65 and NGC 3628. Pretty awesome shot when the conditions are right.

The Moon won't come up until about 9:30pm, so I'll have about an hour of good darkness before it shows.

That just leaves the weather and clouds.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008

Flickr do as search for P900 moon images.

I did find some yesterday, I had it at the bottom of my last reply, it may be hard to see though.
Thank you.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008

The reason for the huge zoom is the small sensor try a crop from your set up and there wont be that much difference in the image.

I know, but really, there is a HUGE difference in quality in the end result. Usually, my images are of really good quality at 100%, not always, but "usually". Like I said, I am a big pixel peeper.
Keep in mind though that we're talking a BIG difference at full zoom here. Nikons' zoom at the farthest end at 100% and mine at its farthest at 100% will be a LOT different. Nikon's zoom murders mine, I know that much. I am not arguing any points here either, I'm trying to say something, I don't know what though. heheh
As far as lenses go, I have a Tamron 150-600mm lens that is good, but when compared to my Canon lenses it loses when viewed at 100%. Sometimes it works really well though, plus, it's very light-weight and I use it all of the time.

My other two Canon lenses, the 400mm f/2.8 and the 100-400mm vII zoom is in another league, but so are the prices. The Canon 100-400mm vII is 'around' $2,000., versus the Tamron at 'around' $900. or so, give or take. The Nikon being the least expensive. The good thing about the Nikon P900 is that it's really compact and can be taken on really serious hikes, or in a my saddlebags of my motorcycle, or on a plane really easy. You lose quite a bit of quality, but that is to be expected, and really, for what it is, it's a REALLY good camera, I really like what I see.
I shoot only RAW too, but I can also shoot .jpegs too, I'm not 'that' spoiled... heheh I don't print really anyway, but I definitely still prefer shooting RAW.

Speaking of sensors...
I have all Canon only cameras.
1DmkIV (1/3 crop)
5DmkII (Full-frame)
7DmkII (1/6 crop)
The 5DmkII's crap compared to today's cameras, why have a 1DmkIV when you can essentially do the same with a 7DmkII, so I usually use the 7DmkII for most of what I shoot.
This Nikon with the smaller sensor is not made for what I usually shoot, which is birds, or wildlife, if the subject is fairly close it may work, but I am a stickler for details, feathers do not look good with a point and shoot. They sometimes don't look that good with my Tamron 150-600mm either, but it's the lens not so much the camera.
Taking it on a trip as a back-up or a walk-around though, it should work out really well, I would think.

Anyway, I said all of that to say, (what? I lost track! heheh) I am SUPER impressed with what I see with the P900 moon shots, at certain resolutions, but not so much when viewed 100%. My cameras will do a better job, but then again, big difference in price, plus, Nikon wins on the zoom, nobody can argue that.
We all know that none of the big guys will ever make a camera that is perfect for us all, they;d be shooting themselves in the foot, but we can always hope.

I'm sorry to be so long, I get really wordy sometimes, or, all of the time.

Thanks for your input, I always enjoy reading what you have to say.
edit on 12-4-2017 by recrisp because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join