It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Astrophotographers, all skill levels. Post your work.

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Very cool, thank you!

I've not been able to get out and take more images due to weather. It'll be crystal clear all day then the clouds move in at night.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Bedlam

Googled it , and , it a kind of optical guide . If not i got nuttin .

It's a way to (mostly) remove the effects of turbulent air on things like astronomical photos and ground based combat lasers. The technique is complex and subtle, and the core of the fun bits involves a ground based laser causing a tiny pin point fluorescence on a near-space layer of sodium ions. You know what the spot SHOULD look like, but the atmo effects will move your guide star pin point around something like it's moving the distant planets or stars, and by means of magic, you can subtract the air's effects on your seeing.

Or you can use it to correct collimation and aiming errors induced by rough air on your ASAT laser.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Thank you for that explanation . I think .

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
a reply to: recrisp

Seeing is just so rarely great there. Maybe I should shoot for being the first amateur with a guidestar based adaptive correction system. I wonder how hard it is to get approval to fire a big honkin' laser overhead.
That's why I brought it up, where that guy lives in Florida it's not a typical area that is good for viewing astronomical things, but he does it. I am not familiar enough with what he has, or what you have to say how it should be done though.
I only use my camera lens with a long exposure to get what I do.
I am 100% LOST at what you are saying though about the Guide-Star, that is way above my pay grade, I can't absorb that kind of stuff. heheh

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
A look at new sunspot 2644, taking with a Nikon L120, a welding lens and PaintShop Pro.

With a little more testing I'll probably use the Nikon L120 for the Solar eclipse in August.

edit on 27-3-2017 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

Cool! Love it. Keep going

The weather hasn't been good here, especially the night. Really wanted to get some good shots of Orion, but I believe it's for next winter.
In a month or so the good and bright parts of the Milky Way will be visible in the early hours, which will be my goal for spring and summer. Get a couple of decent wide angle shots of the Milky way and make a timelapse from them.
But for now a bit of practice from random shootings.
10 minutes exposure Cassiopeia 50mm f4

and constellation Cancer with I believe the Beehive Cluster and another star cluster, If someone knows what these are it would be much appreciated.
20min exposure 50mm f4

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Very cool, and thanks for sharing!

Weather here has also been typical spring weather, limiting me being able to take images. Seems on nights that the weather is better, I'm in the middle of something else. Can win for loosing.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Great looking images! It blows my mind seeing so many stars!!!
Keep up the great work!

Speaking of spring weather.... we had 90mph winds last night, I HAD an array of ham antennas around the house, all totally destroyed... and one push-up pole wrapped around a tree. I'm a little bummed about it..... the up side is, didn't loose a roof and they we're old antennas.

edit on 29-3-2017 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

a reply to: eriktheawful

Thanks!
Yeah weather and time always the biggest obstacles

Every time I watch the shots at home I'm also impressed of how much stars there are when you can't even see 5% of them with the naked eye in that same area. Mindblowing Universe

Here's another random shot

(Perseus, the brightest is Mirfak or Alpha Persei)
edit on 30-3-2017 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Hey, what ISO are you using for those 10 and 20 minute shots?

400?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Both were at iso1000, must say they are different stacks, 2min 3min and 4min the total was 9.45 min on the first and 21.20min on the second.
Used 5 darks of 3min each at iso1000
edit on 30-3-2017 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Got it.

Oh, and very pretty. Looks like I might have a window in 2 days to do some more shooting myself. Keeping my fingers crossed.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Thx, they were both low on the horizon which gives that foggy look on the stars. Kinda cool effect but prefer a cleaner look

Hope you get some clear nights coming your way.
Any ideas yet on what you will be aiming the scope at?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Be wide angle lens for me.

Most likely Leo and Cancer.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Popped back in so I could get these posted.

Made this meme last night, had to share:

Took this of the Moon 4-1-2017, using my 500mm lens with a telescope eyepiece attachment. The markings on the eyepiece are gone, but I think it's a 9mm:

Also took this same night, with just the 500mm lens (no eyepiece). 3 minute shot of Orion Nebula, ISO 1600, f 8.0. I think this will be the last shot I get of this season until next winter:

Took this last night, 4-2-2017 while the Gods of Spring Weather were being nice. Still, high level clouds moved in. Canis Major. A single 2 minute shot at ISO 400, f 4.0. Waxing crescent Moon off to the right off picture:

Also from last night: Partial of Leo at the bottom of the image (rest of Leo was behind a tree, hehehe). Stack of 10 images, each at 2 minutes, ISO 400, f 4.0:

At the top of that image is open cluster M44.

Looks like the weather is going back to poop again, hehehe. But that's okay as the Moon will be in the way for about a week.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Very nice images, like that meme too haha....

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Images from my (new) Nikon P900, I was torn between getting a lens for the Canon or a new camera..... I went with the P900, it's more mobile than a high powered DSLR, plus no changing lenses and it's like carrying around a compact telescope!

It's not as good as a DSLR, but just as fun and a bit different.... the lens will have to wait another time.

04/02/2017 Daytime Moon.

Full zoom.

P900: Jupiter stacked.

edit on 3-4-2017 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Great shots! Very good detail on the Moon!

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Sorry but you have to consider this VERY small sensor although 35mm focal length is good aperture isn't and poor focus at night.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Right on.... I weighed the pros and cons before buying the P900, I didn't buy it to take pictures of the stars, will be using the Canon T3 for that, I just need to save up for better lenses...... my next lens might be a wide-angle Rokinon 24mm f/1.4.

Another shot of the moon from the P900... 04/03/2017
No editing, just cropped and reduced to 90% to fit the upload limit.

edit on 3-4-2017 by imitator because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join