It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reps say your boss can demand your social media login info...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I'm so against the rendering of anything personal to a corporation. They really don't have the right to your passwords, your credit report, police report or anything else. This mentality is creating even more an elitist attitude. How does Joe Shmoe get a job in a turbulent world of financial mess that was created by the powers that be? We have an insane measurement of what and who is a reliable employee. Especially in a world where jobs are sparse.

OK, maybe a check for hard criminal behavior is in order. But come on, they class vehicle accidents as major felonies nowadays.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

Work and personal life are different. People need to understand this.

RANT ON:

Yes, but this divide is slowly being eroded with Smart phone, email and remote connections to work servers. The harder the bosses push "work/life balance" the more liberties you know they will take. Here in Oz, the culture of the "TEAM" is paramount and if you don't join in some charity fun run and provide free publicity for your firm at weekends, nor join your company gym or attend celebratory dinners or breakfasts with your TEAM you're not a TEAM player and you're forgetting that there is no "I" in "TEAM". Don't even attempt to think for yourself. Work breakfasts are the worst idea EVER. I got out a year ago and started my own business, working from home. I'm working harder than I ever had but I'm a lot freer, too - best decision evah!

My brother is a senior in a profession that is reviled pretty much everywhere (lawyer) BUT his idea of TEAM building is taking his team to a fancy restaurant and getting everybody blind (drunk) on really good wine rather than have them attend the firm's sanctioned sports-related team building exercise. He was pulled up by other senior managers about it. So he's still in there somewhere....

How hard you work is a badge of honour and people leave their jackets over the chairs when they leave of a night so that their boss (who, of course, is expected to work late) thinks that they, too, are still around (even though they actually buggered off at 4.30pm). Working way beyond normal working hours is an implicit expectation in most firms these days and peer pressure is brought to bear on employees to ensure it happens.

If a prospective employer asked me for my passwords relating to my social media, I, firstly, would ask why and then argue the toss. I doubt they would be able to come up with an adequate reason. If they pushed it, I'd know it was the kind of company that wasn't quite the right "fit", (as they like to say) for me and I'm sure they would agree so, in the end, everybody wins. Then, of course, I'd go home and start writing letters of outrage to my Federal, state and local members of parliament, the media and my friends.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Archie because: typo

edit on 24-4-2013 by Archie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Archie

Not for me. My employers prefer to keep personal life away from work and actually told me that they don't care what we do as long as it doesn't effect our work. Which it doesn't.

I'm sure I'd be out of a job if they knew I posted on ATS. (Joke).
You make some good points though.

That wasn't a rant by the way.

-SAP-
edit on 24-4-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
lmao!

If I had a boss I would say "Sure you can use my and have my login!"

In fact, "Everyone in the damn office can have my login"

This way when someone, or somegroup, a legal case, lawsuit, or any other crazy stuff happens in my life and they try to pin it on me via my social media accounts.......

.....I'll just point to all the A-hole's that asked for logins to my Facebook account, and any other social media outlet they had access too.

"Your honor I will not tell I lie, and I cannot verify any of the information on my social media account because so many other people had access to it."

LMAO!

The sword cuts both ways and that is the Realtruth.

Peace Out
edit on 24-4-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
These people never seem to amaze me. They usually do not even stand by their own ideas, and the things they claim to represent is just a facade. Checking a person's personal sites is one thing, but acquiring the login information as a condition of employment? THAT is discrimination in the highest degree. Saying someone cannot be eligible for a job because they do not want their privacy infringed upon is so unAmerican, and so illegal, even just the idea of it is ridiculous.

The Republicans are the ones who are the businessmen. This is obvious by now, or at least should be. This is why so many of their "beliefs" are aimed at benefiting the employer and not the employee. This is just another example. And I can guarantee you that this idea originated with some corporation, and was taken by a lobbyist to Washington. These politicians do not seem to have things they believe in any more, if they ever did. They are basically scratching the backs of those who helped get them elected, which usually means millions of dollars in campaign contributions. It is so transparent. The Democrats are not much better, but at least they seem to represent the ideals of freedom in their beliefs, as they are willing to stand up for people and the rights of those people. The other party would seemingly be alright with stripping people of their rights altogether.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

It was blocked by both sides of the aisle. The fact that Republicans hold a majority will most likely translate into a majority in the vote on the amendment; but they needed help and Democratic representatives joined in. So levying it upon one label while ignoring the other only tells me one thing: you believe that all Republicans are evil and the Democrats are the saviors.

The more astute question is, does the the claims that this amendment was designed to kill the bill, hold any water? Many bills have been tabled because of the amendments proposed. For instance, many the majority of the House (both R/D) agree on the bill, but by slipping a bill in, it swings the vote. It is of course politics of a magnitude we don't like, but I think shouldering the claim to one group, while ignoring the group who also participated in the defeat of the amendment, is partisan.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
It's personal information. They can't demand anything personal from you. That's just BS.

...and if you don't want to give it up don't use social media or just don't give them anything.

-SAP-
edit on 23-4-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

Its the exact same thing as having to provide a list of references to an employer, do you have a problem with that also?

Really? The same thing? And as an employer yourself you simply want to be at ease with who you hire and know everything about them, so there's really no limits for you are there? It just makes the employer themselves more confident in their decision, so no issues at all.

How about you just ask every male you interview to pull down his pants and pull it out so you can tell if he's circumcised or not? I mean, it'll tell you a little bit about the household he grew up in, a little bit about his parents and possibly a little about his religious beliefs, so no problem, right? It just makes your curiosity as an employer mean more than everyone else's right to privacy, right?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
There's a main problem with this because basically it would be legalized discrimination. Also, I have learned that bosses do judge people on age, family life, and other things they are not allowed to ask on an application, but are hinted to and asked of when interviewed. Having your required FB password sent in with an application opens up the whole window to those to weed out certain people before they decide if they want to interview you in person.

These details, such as how you look- to estimation on your age, how many children have/ you post about if any or plan to have children, what your hobbies and likes are and what may be a big judgment on if you would be right for their hiring. Do you spend too much time online? Especially they can weed you out early on not even giving you a chance to present yourself.

Not only if that judgmental and lazy it teeters on not being legal, such as judgment upon you in your pictures race wise.

Thus as why such employment laws exist(US)

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;

Source

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donahue
who cares? Don't use social media sites. Talk to people in person

I don't use social media sites, mainly because it seems to me like something for pre-teens, people with social anxiety disorder, or people with no jobs, homes to upkeep, children, friends, family, hobbies, video games, books or television. In other words, its the last option before simply giving up and becoming a junkie.

Anyhow, sorry, can't help but rant about how stupid I think antisocial media is, but "who cares?" - well, I don't use it, and I think most anyone above 10 who does should be embarassed, but I care. Would people care if their (not just their, but potentially ALL) employers required them to turn over all of their mail? How about turn in a tape once a week with their phone calls recorded and transcripts of any text mesages? If you're ok with the social media thing, you have to be on with the mail and phone thing as well.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
simple solution, tell them it's not your account. even if it looks and sounds like you, and has your friends, they can't prove its yours.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mikell

that is a good point you bring up,if your screwing around or in charge of the company face book i assume they would have access to that and i honestly would look at that completely differently then them demanding your private log in info,and i fully agree in that case that employee screwed up badly

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

There are lots of questions that employers are not allowed to ask BY LAW. Getting into someones private social media account would give them access to information that they may not be entitled to know. Sounds a lot like an invasion of my privacy and an illegal search.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I have people employed. I also participate in selection when i want to employ people. I have never had to go to the step of doing a background check on any of them.

What people do on their own time after work is non of my consern, as long as it is not done on my peroperty or with my property. I have no problem with people using social media while working as longsas they dont maked private deals with the firms assets. There are other methods to check this besides snooking on their social medias.

I have no ownership over my employees. I have a responsibility for them when they are at my property and using my property.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by stormson

You can say no.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

The Republicans are the ones who are the businessmen

Seriously? So you admit that Democrats are Communist anti Capitalists then. Really though you cannot say this with a straight face. I certainly am laughing.

So is Eric Holder's wife not a businesswoman? Recent news says she co-owns the building of an abortion clinic.

George Lucas is a Democrat.

Robert Redford is a Democrat. Last time I checked he owns Sundance.
The Black Eyed Peas are Democrat.

www.listafterlist.com...

Warren Buffett is Democrat
notesandrestsmakemusic.wordpress.com...

Ted Turner is Democrat. In addition to his media mogulship of CNN, he owns Ted's Montana Grill(which I've been to and I admit it's quite good)

And then of course there's the almighty Bill Gates.

newamericangazette.com...

Wanna revise your statement?

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23

Originally posted by Donahue
who cares? Don't use social media sites. Talk to people in person

I don't use social media sites, mainly because it seems to me like something for pre-teens, people with social anxiety disorder, or people with no jobs, homes to upkeep, children, friends, family, hobbies, video games, books or television. In other words, its the last option before simply giving up and becoming a junkie.

Anyhow, sorry, can't help but rant about how stupid I think antisocial media is, but "who cares?" - well, I don't use it, and I think most anyone above 10 who does should be embarassed, but I care. Would people care if their (not just their, but potentially ALL) employers required them to turn over all of their mail? How about turn in a tape once a week with their phone calls recorded and transcripts of any text mesages? If you're ok with the social media thing, you have to be on with the mail and phone thing as well.

Go ahead and tell Media Matters how "pre-teen" their facebook page is.
www.facebook.com...

edit on 25-4-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

What else was in the amendment? I would be there was a lot more than just that one item, and that's why it wasn't approved. That's virtually always the case, so that the opposition can run in and claim the other side is somehow the "bad guys".

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I'd happily give them my social media account - I'll give it to everyone here at ATS also.

it's [email protected] and my password is Nothingstill.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
if you got brains you don't put too much out there on FB etc anyway. as an employer I often check peoples FB (if they have one a and I can find it) when they detail mad partying lifestyles with illicit substances and sleep ins on Monday and I hate work attitudes etc then it might not help them get a interview? (careful what I say as some soft #e liberalist will say - DISCRIMINATION.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Its the exact same thing as having to provide a list of references to an employer, do you have a problem with that also?

After all, they are calling people and snooping for personal information about you, your ethics, I just had a friends prospective employer call me as a reference and ask if my friend was in any money trouble.

Same thing, its a tool for employers to find out information about somebody they are bringing into their company. Wouldn't you want to know about people if it was your company?

I sense a lot of hypocrisy in this thread.

Man, you have got to be the most ridiculous poster on ATS right now. You come down on the side of authority in literally every thread, even when it's most absurd - like this one. Every time I read your posts it's literally -shocking-

Give people your username and password to a private account? Get out of here, you are ridiculous. No I wouldn't want to know if it was "my company", because I'm not a useless piece of trash.

ATS needs to bring back the ability to ignore posters.
edit on 25-4-2013 by guymontag because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join