It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reps say your boss can demand your social media login info...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
If I ever get that demand, all they would hear is my laughter.

Either that or I'd create a fake account(s) on social sites that I don't go to and hand that over.That might be fun.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
It's not just social media,it's anything you put out over the net.

A few years ago,I was posting on this forum that had nothing to do with my job or anything like that.I didn't even use my real name.I was bitching about my company alot on there,business practices and how they treated employees.

A week or so later,my boss calls me into his office and shows me all the posts I had made.They had put two and two together.
My jaw dropped and I was speechless.

We set there for awhile discussing my displeasure with the company and he let me go with a warning.Thought for sure I was fired.From then on not a word about the company I worked for.

I'm really curious how your boss even found out about this message board. I guess if the company name was being thrown around the company can get the info about who is posting on the boards. Kind of scary and creepy.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin
reply to post by stormson

Well, demanding might be harsh, although if you have one, it is likely they check it anyways and it is not invasion of privacy as it is up in Internet for anyone to see.

If you know somebody´s name, it is not hard to find them... + find a lot about their interests, their views, people they hang out with etc.

Most companies I know, make a thorough internet background search on applicants for better jobs. Not officially although often the dumb pictures in Facebook or the language used is the actual reason somebody does not get a job, so it is useful to keep your internet background clean

Also I have heard of several cases, when somebody is fired at work for posting in Facebook/Twitter during work hours
edit on 23-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

In addition, companies can install very invasive software which tracks everything you do on a company machine. One can argue they should be allowed to do this since you are on company time and should not be doing activities other than work, but I was appalled when I heard the presentation attached to the software, and several others were too, I overheard their comments at the elevator for the parking lot.
This is also beyond the standard of IP sniffing companies typically have as part of their IT monitoring. Welcome to Big Brother at the workplace.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by stormson
They don't need to know my credit history

Agreed to most but this could be determined depending on the job; but businesses should be upfront with it. If I run a company that handles heavy cash flow, I would want to know if the person I am hiring is beholden to debt (not just nonsense, everyday debt such as credit cards; real debt...you owe tens of thousands of dollars or are prone to other activities). Outside of that, I agree with you.

Interesting theory really but has no basis in fact. My life took a drastic turn for the worse a few years back and I am in the kind of debt you speak of. Yet it would not occur to me to steal the money. Yet I know plenty of people with great credit scores that were fired for embezzling money. The only thing a credit report tells anyone is how good or bad someone is at paying their bills. It is by no means a measure of whether or not they are going to steal from you.

The only thing any employer has a right to know is how qualified you are for the position you are applying for and that is it. No credit checks, no background checks and no access to your social media. The main reason they use these things to cut down the number of potential applicants they have to go through.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormson
Do you think your boss should demand your facebook (and/or any/all of your social media) login info to get or keep your job?
Should this invasion of privacy be illegal?
Republicans dont think so, as nearly all of them voted down an amendment that would outlaw your employer demanding your social media info as a condition of employment.
So much for off hours privacy. Kids, thank the republicans!

An amendment to the CISPA that would outlaw your boss from making your login info a condition of employment was defeated.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I can see it now. "Bob, we have to let you go. While checking your facebook page, we saw some photos of you on vacation with a beard and holding a beer. As you know, facial hair is frowned upon, and alcohol consumption raises our insurance rates, not to mention just looks bad. Sorry."
Do you have the full text of the amendment in question?

It is easy to say "Republicans voted down an amendment which would outlaw employers asking for Facebook logins as a condition of employment." But, unless the full text of the amendment is analyzed, we have know way to know whether that is an accurate assessment or not.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Makes me glad I live in the UK.

The true land of the free......Well freerer than than the USA

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

Yah and how are those Nanny Cams and video surveillance of transportation systems workin out for ya? I hear the cameras in the parks actually laugh at you to make you pick up the trash you just dropped.
edit on 24-4-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Originally posted by crazyewok

Yah and how are those Nanny Cams and video surveillance of transportation systems workin out for ya?

A dam lot better than haveing your FB and personal lifes invaded not just by the goverment but by your employers. And it a dam lot better than your patriot act that allows you to be detained without trial.

Nah I much prefer the UK. Anyway alot of the camera have been deactivated or removed after we kicked out the last goverment.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Funny. Well here in America we can still have firearms and have the right to protect ourselves from tyranny. Kind of the same reason we left the good ol' UK in the first place.

ETA: I'm sorry for the off topic post.

-SAP-
edit on 24-4-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by crazyewok

Funny. Well here in America we can still have firearms and have the right to protect ourselves from tyranny. Kind of the same reason we left the good ol' UK in the first place.

-SAP-

Actually its a common misconception you cant own a gun in the UK you can it just takes a lot of paperwork.

Anyway it never really been part of UK culture. UK is diffrent from US. If you ask Britons the majority are happy with our gun laws and if you ask the USA most dont want to change there gun laws....What is democracy if not listening to the majority.

Anyway guns wont protect us from tyranny. We are a small island, a few small arms wont help against our military that have similiar tec as the USA. Drones and Attack helicopeters would make small work of us.

Anyway as you may have broken away from "tyranny" (Britain was far from tyranical in 1700's) but since the mid 20th century your country seem to be becomeing more and more oppressive. Better do something soon or you will find yourselfs worse off than Germans in Nazi Germany. The way things are going for you guys it wont be long till public and private agents will be sent round without warrents to check your closets and underwear draws!
edit on 24-4-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Oh the irony of that:

Apply for a job because of:
Money problems
Can't get one because of:
Money problems
When do money problems end
When You Get A JOB!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21

Oh the irony of that:

Apply for a job because of:
Money problems
Can't get one because of:
Money problems
When do money problems end
When You Get A JOB!!!

And according to right wing Americans if you are poor it your fault and get a job you should'nt get any healthcare or housing help! O wait you cant get a job because your poor!

Great logic!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Nevermind I am getting off topic.

edit on 24-4-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

considering the only social network I have is for my dog.. why not

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

No it is not like providing a list of references. Why wouldn't you just provide the list? Why would they ask for my social media information?

-SAP-

Well if it were my company I would prefer the social media because that is more likely to represent the real portrait of the person I'm thinking of hiring.

Do you ever give a reference without knowing the person will speak favorably of you?

Of course not, so this is not the best way to get an idea of what the person is like. Remember that employers are responsible for thier work environment and all the employees operating within it. To hire someone that might not fit in or cause disruption is always a potential risk but the more information they have the better they can fine tune their hiring process.

What else do you really think they are going to do with your Facebook information beyond that? Make posters of you drinking beer on a pool table and plaster them around town?

Actually, your entire argument falls apart by virtue of private conversations and messages saved on Facebook. It has a password for a reason. There's no password placed on a list of submitted references.

It's an invasion of privacy. You wouldn't give them your email password, either. And btw, facebook also serves as it's own email address for users. I myself have emails sent directly to my facebook page and have a facebook email address.

You may think it's cute to be counter to common sense, but I've noticed your posting history of being completely devoid of it (common sense).

Try harder next time, and don't make an argument you can't win.
edit on 24-4-2013 by yourignoranceisbliss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Are they going to fire me when I tell them I don't have a social media account? Everything on those sites are stored and sold to the government that's how facebook is making so much extra money.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Of course they have ZERO right to demand this information. I'd be horrified if any prospective employer of mine even asked.

Totally absurd.

What next? Install a web-cam in your home? A recording device on your body? I mean, after-all, based on some of the replies here; "The employer has a right to know if you owe money, or whatnot". Huh, what?

It's, once more, a complete grab at removing privacy, and an individuals rights.

What I may post in private, or even if it's public, has nothing to do with my work. Judge me for my performance at work, and that alone.

I can totally understand the need to firewall out Social Media whilst you're at work, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

There is no-way in hell this should be legislation, period. Pfft. The Goverment(s) are out of control.
edit on 24-4-2013 by CrikeyMate because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
Interesting theory really but has no basis in fact. My life took a drastic turn for the worse a few years back and I am in the kind of debt you speak of. Yet it would not occur to me to steal the money. Yet I know plenty of people with great credit scores that were fired for embezzling money. The only thing a credit report tells anyone is how good or bad someone is at paying their bills. It is by no means a measure of whether or not they are going to steal from you.

The debt I speak of is heavy use of pay-day loans, gambling, etc. Not just life (I am in your boat too; but still can function and be responsible with company cash). That is more to what I speak of and of course, there are thieves on both sides of the aisle.

The only thing any employer has a right to know is how qualified you are for the position you are applying for and that is it. No credit checks, no background checks and no access to your social media. The main reason they use these things to cut down the number of potential applicants they have to go through.

And if you are handling large sums of money, one of those qualifications is: are you responsible. It is similar to getting a secret (or above) clearance. They want to know, are you beholden to a debt that will put you in a potential situation where you are willing to embezzle or sell secrets.

Now for a normal everyday job, yes you are right. Many companies use it as a thinner. Just depends, my step-dad used a certain school (because of its private nature, he thought candidates from junior colleges were far superior than some young punk that daddy paid his way at a big named school).

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

If you are already employed, no they won't. If you are applying, they could deny you employment.

However this left up to the person who is hiring you. If anyone had a brain they would disregard social media as a tool for hiring...

Work and personal life are different. People need to understand this. How many people out there are great at their job, but are horrible people? I'm guessing many.

I starred your post.

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a employer could 'demand' anything they wish, but it would
be a cold day in hell when i would turn over my log in and
password to anyone.

Personally i dont feel they have the right to even look at your info,
let alone demand your login info.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>