It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reps say your boss can demand your social media login info...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Do you think your boss should demand your facebook (and/or any/all of your social media) login info to get or keep your job?
Should this invasion of privacy be illegal?
Republicans dont think so, as nearly all of them voted down an amendment that would outlaw your employer demanding your social media info as a condition of employment.
So much for off hours privacy. Kids, thank the republicans!

An amendment to the CISPA that would outlaw your boss from making your login info a condition of employment was defeated.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I can see it now. "Bob, we have to let you go. While checking your facebook page, we saw some photos of you on vacation with a beard and holding a beer. As you know, facial hair is frowned upon, and alcohol consumption raises our insurance rates, not to mention just looks bad. Sorry."

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
who cares? Don't use social media sites. Talk to people in person

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormson
Should this invasion of privacy be illegal?

It already is illegal in quite a few states, with many more states joining the bandwagon with pending bills to make it illegal. It won't be long until it's illegal everywhere.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Just tell them you don't use social media if you do for some reason.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

and then if you get caught with one, youre fired for lying.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Well, what they're really getting to is the point of saying 'The feral government has every 'right' to have access to ALL electronic information that exists about you anywhere. They will use the flawless logic that if you boss is 'entitled' to that information, then so is the feral government. They will say it's cool, you can trust us, we're the feral government. And they will smile and stand around the microphone and TV cameras and get some super-groovy free re-election publicity!
After all, that's what our political process is all about. Elections are just a means of giving politicians free face time with the public, whom they DESPISE as vermin. Of course, when your dealing with politicians, your dealing with people that as clueless as they are dishonest. The same politicians that think the feral government HAS the same rights as a citizen! You know the same politicians that go to 'memorials' because they can get some free face time on TV.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well if any politician deems it necessary to snoop in our $hit, then we can start demanding access to all of their email. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It's personal information. They can't demand anything personal from you. That's just BS.

...and if you don't want to give it up don't use social media or just don't give them anything.

-SAP-
edit on 23-4-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stormson

Just say "NO!!!" If they fire you so what? Why would you want to work for an azz like that to start with? Also, I'm quite sure there would be grounds for a lawsuit in there somewhere- if you can't afford an attorney contact the ACLU. Those guys would absolutely love to get their hands on a case like that! (They do have their uses sometimes!)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
It's personal information. They can't demand anything personal from you. That's just BS.

...and if you don't want to give it up don't use social media or just don't give them anything.

-SAP-

Its the exact same thing as having to provide a list of references to an employer, do you have a problem with that also?

After all, they are calling people and snooping for personal information about you, your ethics, I just had a friends prospective employer call me as a reference and ask if my friend was in any money trouble.

Same thing, its a tool for employers to find out information about somebody they are bringing into their company. Wouldn't you want to know about people if it was your company?

I sense a lot of hypocrisy in this thread.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

No it is not like providing a list of references. Why wouldn't you just provide the list? Why would they ask for my social media information?

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Just tell them, "No." What are they going to do? Fire you? I don't think so.

They can not override the Constitution. I don't know who they think they are, but they must be reminded in a realistic way.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

No it is not like providing a list of references. Why wouldn't you just provide the list? Why would they ask for my social media information?

-SAP-

Well if it were my company I would prefer the social media because that is more likely to represent the real portrait of the person I'm thinking of hiring.

Do you ever give a reference without knowing the person will speak favorably of you?

Of course not, so this is not the best way to get an idea of what the person is like. Remember that employers are responsible for thier work environment and all the employees operating within it. To hire someone that might not fit in or cause disruption is always a potential risk but the more information they have the better they can fine tune their hiring process.

What else do you really think they are going to do with your Facebook information beyond that? Make posters of you drinking beer on a pool table and plaster them around town?

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Good points.

It for me is just little redic is all. Everyone has their own preference.

-SAP-

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'll play devil's advocate.

Does the employer have the right to view people's social posting habits and history - to search for people who have extremist views or people who have a grudge against the government? Does an employer have the right to protect it's workers from a possibly, potentially dangerous person? (Say the employer of a mall?) After all, if you have a felonious record - an employer can pass you over. Now - do employers have the right to make that determination on what a person posts in social media?

Would this be a form of discrimination? Or an employers right?

What does that say about our freedom and right to believe how we choose? Will it change that?

It's going to become an interesting debate to follow over the coming months. That is for sure. But, just remember, for those who are singled out wrongly. You have the judicial system to use in your defense.

Cirque

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I have given employers references, numbers to call, before. May as well give them access to all of my private conversations now. Same thing, totally. Hell, really I think we should have to give our employers are home keys...and install video cameras in our home...I mean, we gave refernces right? Once you do that, desiring any form of privacy is really just hypocritical.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

-SAP-

Its the exact same thing as having to provide a list of references to an employer, do you have a problem with that also?

After all, they are calling people and snooping for personal information about you, your ethics, I just had a friends prospective employer call me as a reference and ask if my friend was in any money trouble.

Same thing, its a tool for employers to find out information about somebody they are bringing into their company. Wouldn't you want to know about people if it was your company?

I sense a lot of hypocrisy in this thread.

Are you defending the ability for employers to demand your FB login?
Because that is what it sounds like.
If you are...may I ask....who do you work for?? You must be making enough $$$ to bring up such a BS response.

I would never ever ever ever give anyone my FB or other social media login info. That's just nutz....

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

-SAP-

Well if it were my company I would prefer the social media because that is more likely to represent the real portrait of the person I'm thinking of hiring.

Do you ever give a reference without knowing the person will speak favorably of you?

Of course not, so this is not the best way to get an idea of what the person is like. Remember that employers are responsible for thier work environment and all the employees operating within it. To hire someone that might not fit in or cause disruption is always a potential risk but the more information they have the better they can fine tune their hiring process.

What else do you really think they are going to do with your Facebook information beyond that? Make posters of you drinking beer on a pool table and plaster them around town?

So where does it stop?

Should a employer demand to know your religious beliefs?

"Sorry Bob, but we're not going to hire you because you don't conform to the same church as the majority of our employees, even though you turned out to be the best qualified for the job, and are even accepting the salary we offered right off the bat."

Should a employer demand to know your political beliefs?

"Sorry Bob, but we're not going to hire you because you don't conform to the same political beliefs that the majority of our employees (nor our CEO) hold."

How about things that you "Liked" on FB?

"Sorry Bob, but we just looked over your FB account and it turns out you 'Liked' the FB page for someone else product that we're in direct competition for. Never mind that it was years ago and before we hired you, but we don't like that. You're fired."

There are plenty of jobs out there that require background checks. Having been in the US Navy, with the clearance I held, I'm quite well aware that the government will go through great pains to check you out.

Many companies want to avoid having anyone with a criminal record of any sort, or people they might consider "High Risk".

However, companies have been doing this for YEARS just fine without having to demand that you turn over your Facebook account to them.

In many ways it's the same as a company demanding that you turn over any private diaries you might keep.

By advocating this, as you have demonstrated in this thread, you have shown that you are very much in favor of corporate control. Government control. And invasion of privacy.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by stormson

Well, demanding might be harsh, although if you have one, it is likely they check it anyways and it is not invasion of privacy as it is up in Internet for anyone to see.

If you know somebody´s name, it is not hard to find them... + find a lot about their interests, their views, people they hang out with etc.

Most companies I know, make a thorough internet background search on applicants for better jobs. Not officially although often the dumb pictures in Facebook or the language used is the actual reason somebody does not get a job, so it is useful to keep your internet background clean

Also I have heard of several cases, when somebody is fired at work for posting in Facebook/Twitter during work hours
edit on 23-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Point in case, Cabin. I have many friends who have FB accounts under fake names..all fake data. Do you think a potential employer has the right to fire you if they find out you have such an account? Where do you draw the line on data gathering on an employee. When does data gathering cross the line to stalking?

Des

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join