It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reps say your boss can demand your social media login info...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
reply to post by Hopechest

My GOSH, what DOES your personal life, and what you do on facebook, have ANYTHING to do with how you are on the job, if you do your job properly, etc????

Unfortunately where I work now has a social media policy that was brought in.

According to the policy, even behavior within virtual worlds could be breaking policy if we conduct ourselves in a way that doesn't represent our employer well. The policy hasn't actually been used as far as I know yet, and they don't ask for facebook details etc ... but I'm finding it increasingly frustrating that not only am I expected to have and update a linkedin profile, but before every action I take I now have to think ... 'will my employer approve' ...

It's bad enough they judge my hair cut and dress sense ... now I will also have to stop dressing up in pacman costumes and chasing people whilst drunk

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by fnord
even if it become a law, you can't because in sharing your password with someone else you're violating the terms of service for your facebook. You entered a legally binding contract with them when you signed up, and one of the terms of the contract is that you're not allowed to share your facebook password (or allow anyone else to log in as you) if your bosses demand it, then cite that specific part of the contract.

What I fear is that FB will change their policy in secrecy, and let us know after the fact.
They seem to do stuff like that often, and now that FB has stock?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Our company is pretty liberal but a while back someone in charge used the corporate FB and Twitter said something that managed to make the national news. They were gone Monday by noon another death without a funeral as we say. Stupid is as stupid does

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
one, dont have a facebook because its full of garbage. I dont really care that "baby james throw up all over you, FML, hes so cute."

Two, i make my boss enough money, hes not going to want to fire me. If he fires me, he loses lots of money.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
"Alright, so what's your password?"

"Ihatemyboss" easy to remember, ya know...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Our freedoms are vanishing one by one, and there's little to nothing we can do about it. Plain as that. What I do on my own personal fb account should have no bearing on wether I can, or can't get a job. It's idiocy to think otherwise.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Also, if you look, it's not just talking about them 'looking' at your social media. They're going to be able to make you give them your login information, not JUST browse your account. Which means they'll have your password. Which means they can post as you, like things as you, see every private message you've sent, and even delete your account really. It's not talking about them just being able to look at your facebook.

Heck, a portion of the OPs link says it best:

People have an expectation of privacy when using social media like Facebook and Twitter. They have an expectation that their right to free speech and religion will be respected when they use social media outlets. No American should have to provide their confidential personal passwords as a condition of employment. Both users of social media and those who correspond share the expectation of privacy in their personal communications. Employers essentially can act as imposters and assume the identity of an employee and continually access, monitor and even manipulate an employee's personal social activities and opinions. That's simply a step too far.

edit on 24-4-2013 by jjsr420 because: added stuff

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Cabin

Point in case, Cabin. I have many friends who have FB accounts under fake names..all fake data. Do you think a potential employer has the right to fire you if they find out you have such an account? Where do you draw the line on data gathering on an employee. When does data gathering cross the line to stalking?

Des

they can get all your information even a fake one if they have your ip address unless your running a fake email address with a spoofed ip adress your up crap creek without a paddle

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stormson

Stop using social media like facebook. We already know we are being spied upon, and if we don't like don't give them anything by refusing to use to the tool.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjsr420
Also, if you look, it's not just talking about them 'looking' at your social media. They're going to be able to make you give them your login information, not JUST browse your account. Which means they'll have your password. Which means they can post as you, like things as you, see every private message you've sent, and even delete your account really. It's not talking about them just being able to look at your facebook.

Heck, a portion of the OPs link says it best:

People have an expectation of privacy when using social media like Facebook and Twitter. They have an expectation that their right to free speech and religion will be respected when they use social media outlets. No American should have to provide their confidential personal passwords as a condition of employment. Both users of social media and those who correspond share the expectation of privacy in their personal communications. Employers essentially can act as imposters and assume the identity of an employee and continually access, monitor and even manipulate an employee's personal social activities and opinions. That's simply a step too far.

edit on 24-4-2013 by jjsr420 because: added stuff

actually its much darker than that, imagine a previous employer is mad you got a new job and decide to post stuff that could easly get you into hot water. or they can see who your new employer is and make comments to your employer about you which technically ins't considered illegal because the new employer didn't call them and they didn't call the employer. Lets say they access your account and fake an office romance that ends relationship or breaks up a family. How about they have conversation with your friends about your past or access your friends list to push their products on them through your account.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Just be your own boss. Own your own company. You can't depend on others for financial security. Well, unless you're a senator. Still though...

Oh and lol... I think if HopeChest ran the world none of us would have any rights. There's something sinister about him.
edit on 24-4-2013 by Abstruse because: lulz

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

Oh indeed, the rabbit hole goes WAY down in this one. The possibilities are endless. I don't think it's right. We all have a right to our privacy, and our freedom. Even if you're not american, I say. I've been saying it for years, and everyone calls me crazy, but i've accuratly predicted ALOT of the stuff that's been happening recently (not saying i'm psychic, or anything; just using my own logic)

Soon, they'll take all our rights away. They'll push us to the breaking point, and then, some of us will fight back. A war is coming, and it's coming fast.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I don't use FB, I like my privacy and I'm just not really interested in that sort of pass-time. But somebody spooked me out a while back when they said I should get an FB account set up because it looks suspicious not having one and I will find it hard changing jobs.

The world is getting a little bit scary. Just a little while ago, one of the corporate clients of the company I work for wanted to know my home details and do a background check on me. Not the company I work for, a corporate client I have nothing to do with beyond IT support and have absolutely no relationship with. More recently still, another different client wanted to know, not only my home details, they wanted to know my wife's maiden name and the names of my kids and my parents names! I actually felt panicky and somewhat scared when I saw the form I was asked to fill in.

I was given the option by the leadership in my area of the company to not give those details to those clients due to my concerns and I didn't. But I am worried about both how that is going to affect me in the near future and when the next attempt to probe into my personal life will come and from where. As far as I know, everyone I work with gave their details away, although I know one colleague was very uncomfortable about it.

I've been told by somebody that I should give my info freely as I have nothing to hide. But I want to hide my identity and personal life from those I have not actively chosen to share it with, it's just the way I am... I'm worried I'm going to face disadvantages because of that. Will I be considered a less desirable employee? I wonder.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

That's screwed up. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY should be able to FORCE anyone to give away information about thier private life. What does your wife's maiden name have to do with you being proficient, or not proficient at your job?

Tha'd be like McDonalds requiring a HS Diploma. Like seriously, I need to have graduated HS to flip and serve burgers?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donahue
who cares? Don't use social media sites. Talk to people in person

You are on one now......So apparently you care.....Or wait, you didn't think ATS is social media??

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Sorry, but it's not the same. References are there to find out your work history/ethic. Should they be able to read your email, or your mail for that matter?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjsr420
reply to post by digital01anarchy

Oh indeed, the rabbit hole goes WAY down in this one. The possibilities are endless. I don't think it's right. We all have a right to our privacy, and our freedom. Even if you're not american, I say. I've been saying it for years, and everyone calls me crazy, but i've accuratly predicted ALOT of the stuff that's been happening recently (not saying i'm psychic, or anything; just using my own logic)

Soon, they'll take all our rights away. They'll push us to the breaking point, and then, some of us will fight back. A war is coming, and it's coming fast.

I like the avatar one of my favorite akatsuki members was Itachi Uchiha = best fighter/ technique not much of a Sasuke fan even though his fights are really fun to watch. I agree with your post but I still wishing that a more diplomatic solution finds a way
edit on 24-4-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This appears to stem from more overstepping authority by Big Govt with big corporations going along with it because they don't want to get in trouble. It's just as outrageous as all the other bizarre stuff going on. Unfortunately, IT people are enabling it as well. This is more govt snooping into our lives.
How many here know that the Common Core Standards is employing data tracking of our kids even now as we speak?
Does everyone see the effect of the combination of Big Govt with Big Corporations and Public/Private Partnerships?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

Scary account really. I read a book a few years ago called, "The End of Privacy". It was all about how we live in this electronic age where so much of our data is online, and it discussed some of those blurry lines between what is public and what is private. Ironically, the OP is a perfect example of the blurring of the lines. We should never have to give our passwords over unless it's strictly for login to a company machine. Your specific situation really makes me wonder about the kind of society we are headed for and the people who want to live this way.

Here's the book

www.kirkusreviews.com...
edit on 24-4-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
It's personal information. They can't demand anything personal from you. That's just BS.

...and if you don't want to give it up don't use social media or just don't give them anything.

-SAP-
edit on 23-4-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

Its the exact same thing as having to provide a list of references to an employer, do you have a problem with that also?

After all, they are calling people and snooping for personal information about you, your ethics, I just had a friends prospective employer call me as a reference and ask if my friend was in any money trouble.

Same thing, its a tool for employers to find out information about somebody they are bringing into their company. Wouldn't you want to know about people if it was your company?

I sense a lot of hypocrisy in this thread.

Huuuge difference. Professional references are just that, your professional life. Never put personal friends down as references for a profession, thats just asking for trouble unless they are a professional as well. Once it gets into what goes on after hours, its none of their business(unless it is a matter of public record such as DUI. etc). My political, personal views are mine and not a reflection of work. Nor would work really enjoy most of my views anyway.

I would refuse to work anywhere that demanded any of my personal passwords.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join