It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Destroying the ego

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Discomfort feels uncomfortable - it is dis ease. It is not a passing thing - it is deep. The discomfort is always seeking comfort. When ease and comfort and found then the seeking ends. Satisfaction guaranteed, always and forever..

No, that is not what I experience. I pinch my arm, discomfort is. I stop pinching my arm, no discomfort is. Neutrality. It is quite definately a passing thing.

There is neutrality before pinching, neitrality after.

My loved one strokes my cheek- there is pleasure. They stop, there is neutrality.

But MENTALLY, I can hold on to those and replay them inside- imagine the pain and feel it for years, imagine the pleasure and feel it for years... depending upon what I choose to do with my mind.
The ^hysical level is that actual pain was momentary and limited, as most things in physicality.

That is conditional love. It is not true love - unconditional.
Find the perfect lover that will never leave or disappoint and the whole world becomes glorious..

You got that backwards- if love comes and goes according to your comfort, that is "conditional love" by definition.
My husband rides a motorcycle, I have past experiences that inspire discomfort at the view and knowledge of it.
to claim there is no love because his actions cause me discomfort is close to insanity.

My husband and I have very different cultural backgrounds, so we actually challenge each other in perceptive, and it makes us uncomfortable. Does that mean love is depednant upon those moments?
Only if love does not include growth and expansion, which is often painful or uncomfortable!
We challenge each others limits and we expand each others minds!

The examples could go on forever, the idea that love is void of discomfort is nonsensical to me.
I would have been convinced there was no love the very first time I gave birth then!

We've been together 23 years and still very much in love, despite all growing pains we've been through together in the past!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Seeking more happens because one is not satisfied with what is - there is an idea that there is more. Seeking more comfort means one is not comfortable - not at ease.
When true comfort and ease are found (to be the natural state) - all that arises is just scenery - beautiful and astounding.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

reply to post by Bluesma

Seeking more happens because one is not satisfied with what is - there is an idea that there is more. Seeking more comfort means one is not comfortable - not at ease.
When true comfort and ease are found (to be the natural state) - all that arises is just scenery - beautiful and astounding.

I seek to learn of other lands and people, this is called travelling, walk about, or wandering. I believe this activity enriches my intellect and helps me learn how others' live in the world, perhaps aiding me in understanding this world and it's injustices, and perhaps aiding me in appreciating my home, my place, my comfort. But, then, I can make a comfortable home anywhere.

“Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe”……Anatole France

Read more at matadornetwork.com...

There are many more quotes there that some of you may enjoy.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This thread isn't about destroying the ego - it is about getting a new one. It is just replacing old conditioning with new conditioning. Out of one prison into another.
Good luck with that.

The term 'bainwashing' should be taken literally - the brain needs a good wash - but don't go getting it dirty again.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight
reply to post by MegaSpace

I wasn't directing any particular comment to you, or anyone else. I am only sharing my opinion on this complex and difficult topic. Any quotes I post, are quotes that seem wise to me, that is, to me.

Peace to you too.

My apologies, thought you were as it was a reply to my previous message as seen bellow:

give this post a star posted on 28-4-2013 @ 07:37 AM this post reply to post by MegaSpace

Guess mistakes happen.

I like your input also. Cheers

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaSpace

reply to post by MegaSpace

I wasn't directing any particular comment to you, or anyone else. I am only sharing my opinion on this complex and difficult topic. Any quotes I post, are quotes that seem wise to me, that is, to me.

Peace to you too.

My apologies, thought you were as it was a reply to my previous message as seen bellow:

give this post a star posted on 28-4-2013 @ 07:37 AM this post reply to post by MegaSpace

Guess mistakes happen.

I like your input also. Cheers

If I replied specifically to one of your posts, it was to give you my opinion on that particular thought.

I enjoy everyone's input...it certainly isn't an easy road ahead for any of us.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Because you believe there is a road ahead it will make you feel uneasy. 'What's next?' 'What will become of me?' This is the dis ease (the discomfort) - this is the human condition - it is the ego that is the fear - it is scared of 'what is not'.
'What is' is not scary - it is divine.
edit on 28-4-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Because you believe there is a road ahead it will make you feel uneasy. 'What's next?' 'What will become of me?' This is the dis ease - this is the human condition - it is this ego that is fearing the scary road ahead.

I know what lies ahead...getting old ( that in itself is not easy, for some), then, hopefully, a good death (acceptance of one's own mortality, also not easy for some).

My belief in taking the road ahead will just add adventure, fun, and learning to my being. If it doesn't to yours, then that's your choice.

I'm just getting older and better. Neal Schon

edit on 28-4-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

This thread isn't about destroying the ego - it is about getting a new one. It is just replacing old conditioning with new conditioning. Out of one prison into another.
Good luck with that.

The term 'bainwashing' should be taken literally - the brain needs a good wash - but don't go getting it dirty again.

If you had read the OP you would have realized this before! I have been repeating this over and over and over.

The idea is to change experience, not stop having experience. It requires a phase of transition, of "emptiness" to become receptical again, but there is no goal to cling to that void and avoid experience of self/other, physicality, or duality.

Whether what is in your head is dirty or not is your own judgement- consciousness has no preference, no scale of clean or dirty, good or bad. If your self is ready for a change in experience, then it can change.

-and when you have had enough of that experience, you can change again!

I am glad you finally grasped what I was saying, and I do not mind at all if you negate it, think it is not a good thing to do, or disagree with it.

But grasping the idea allows you to simply make your choice and go in the direction you prefer.

Happy trails!

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by openlocks

Do not be so negative and hostile. Your avatar says you are not a philosopher and yet you think like one very much so. Philosophers are mad! They are insane! They cannot stop thinking about "what if?" and "how come?". They drive themselves insane thinking they can grab hold of the truth and own it. You've missed the whole point of what we are saying, instead you have projected your own fears and thoughts onto us. That is okay. Many men and women spit on and threw rocks at Jesus, they yelled at and cursed Buddha, even Ramana Maharshi, Krishnamurti and Maharaj (all lived in the past 50 years) were persecuted and called names. Look at all the so-called greats: Gandhi, MLK, Einstien... all of these people were ridiculed and hated. None of that changes the fact they found the Truth. It is not that they owned the Truth, but that they found it. They tried to point others, like yourself, to it. But people like you could not see it and so you spit on them and called them vegetables and crazy. Please look in the mirror... you are only projecting your own fears and your own thoughts. No one else is saying these things to you, we are embracing you and trying to help you see what you are desperately looking for. It seems nothing is good enough for your neurotic mind though... see this and be done.

Sorry. You're completely wrong. You do not know me yet claim to know me. This is the contradictions I am talking about.

How do you figure someone is neurotic and hostile through a couple paragraphs of words? That's correct, you don't. You make it up as you go along, and think that your attacks against me as a person is going to convince someone of your outright dishonesty. Sorry, but it just proves how little you know.

So settle down and try to argue with your words, not your emotions.

MLK, Einstein and Ghandi had nothing to do with your plight against the ego.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaSpace

This is precisely why some of us higher advanced spiritual individuals who know the answer even in this topic wont interfere but to try & guide by helping others see their own truth, everyone knows they just need to open their eyes.

Mega.

Interesting. Can you elaborate on what exactly is the criteria you use to determine the "higher advanced spiritual individuals" ?

-Because probably everyone posting here could easily consider that to be true of themselves (and anyone who shares the same perspective as themself).
edit on 28-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

It can be you are confused about what you exactly experience Bluesma.

Knowledge is power.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I have re-read the whole thread, since some have stated I misinterpreted it, and I find it amusing to say the least. What is it you people want? It seems nothing will satisfy you but a good argument. But of course some will say there is no argument... yet continue arguing. Some will say there is understanding and communication happening... yet it is obvious none is to be found. This is a very combative community, if you can call it that at all, with little attempt to hear and understand each other, which is why I left many months ago. I came back to post about a news article and then saw a few of my old friends still posting here and decided to join the conversation, only to re-realize there is no conversing happening here, only debate and arguing.

Very odd.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Interesting. Can you elaborate on what exactly is the criteria you use to determine the "higher advanced spiritual individuals" ?

-Because probably everyone posting here could easily consider that to be true of themselves (and anyone who shares the same perspective as themself).

You may exclude me from this club. At most, I have aspirations and attractions to spiritual matters, and I certainly enjoy these type of discussions, but these tendencies do not reflect being "higher" and "advanced".

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

RISE Above Bluesma..

2nd

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Good luck with that.

If you had read the OP you would have realized this before! I have been repeating this over and over and over.

The idea is to change experience, not stop having experience. It requires a phase of transition, of "emptiness" to become receptical again, but there is no goal to cling to that void and avoid experience of self/other, physicality, or duality.

Whether what is in your head is dirty or not is your own judgement- consciousness has no preference, no scale of clean or dirty, good or bad. If your self is ready for a change in experience, then it can change.

-and when you have had enough of that experience, you can change again!

I am glad you finally grasped what I was saying, and I do not mind at all if you negate it, think it is not a good thing to do, or disagree with it.

But grasping the idea allows you to simply make your choice and go in the direction you prefer.

Happy trails!

Well said Bluesma and happy trails to you too.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

The idea is to change experience, not stop having experience.

Experience is constantly changing. The idea that it can stay the same or stop is just an idea.
Have you found that which never changes?

edit on 29-4-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by openlocks
I have re-read the whole thread, since some have stated I misinterpreted it, and I find it amusing to say the least. What is it you people want? It seems nothing will satisfy you but a good argument. But of course some will say there is no argument... yet continue arguing. Some will say there is understanding and communication happening... yet it is obvious none is to be found. This is a very combative community, if you can call it that at all, with little attempt to hear and understand each other, which is why I left many months ago. I came back to post about a news article and then saw a few of my old friends still posting here and decided to join the conversation, only to re-realize there is no conversing happening here, only debate and arguing.

Very odd.

Well, if you read the OP, you saw that the topic includes my opinion that to disagree, to say no, to negate,to oppose, to stand behind your own personal opinion or view is NOT BAD. That I consider that sometimes a very healthy and beneficial choice.

I was up front- I am not one of the "love and light" chanters that condemns others all day for being "negative" or "egotistical". I embrace both darkness and light, positive and negative, yin and yang, self and other, birth and death, etc. -all as part of the wonder of the universe and existence.

I don't mind if someone disagrees with me, and says, "nope. that is just not what I experience.- and continues to share with me their differing experience.

I admit I have preferences in how that is expressed- I am more comfortable when each assumes responsibility for their point of view and actions. -And I make effort to do so myself.

I prefer if they not fall into nasty personal insults, or false accusations. I try not to do so myself.

I prefer they not use passive aggressivity- pretending to be victimized in order to stimulate guilt in others and a power boost over them. I make effort not to do that either.

I like when they point out my inconsistancies or contradictions, so that I can fix them. That serves me better in the future. I make effort to do that myself.

In all these things, however, I understand that I am not infallible, and either are they, and we may make some slip ups.

You avoided answering my questions to you, so apparently you were not interested in communicating with me. I gave you a chance to back track and simply take back your false accusations, so we could communicate more sincerely- I gave you the benefit of doubt in saying "you must have misunderstood".

Now, I suspect you did not misunderstand anything. Your false accusatiosn that I had called you (and others) "arrogant and delusional" was a purposeful lie, probably geared towards making others see you and they as victimized by me, and then join you in treating me like an enemy.
That is not as loving and kind as you attempt to claim you are. Nor does it inspire me to see you as an example or teacher to learn from.

Everyone else involved here was much more polite, we may have made mistakes here and there, we had some misunderstandings, we had disagreements, but on the whole, it was a friendly conversation in my mind.

Sometimes people are not really sure what they think, until they have started talking or writing about it.
Sometimes disagreeing is what stimulates them to do that.

Do you also feel that people who practice sports such as wresling have hostile feelings towards their opponent?
I can assure you they don't, (or if they do, they are not normal and would be considered a bad sportsman)
Mental wrestling and debate is similar in that respect- one develops themself and their own skills through the resistance of an opponent. And appreciates them for that.

So anyway- like I said. I was honest from the start- disagreeing will be okay here, and might even do you good.

If that was something that you do not like to do or observe, you would have done better to just choose to click on out right away.

edit on 29-4-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

The idea is to change experience, not stop having experience.

Experience is constantly changing. The idea that it can stay the same or stop is just an idea.
Can you find that which never changes?

I meant experience as individual.
The self concept/ego CAN be held stable for a period of time, with "other" or "not self" changing continually. One of the benefits of this is that others can form a stable idea of you too- they can percieve you as having a personality, a specific character, that they can rely upon, be used to, find consistant and predictable.

This can be beneficial for relationships, for cooperative projects and creation, and for efficient emotional channeling.

The sort of constant self denial you do here, I wonder how you handle that in real life?
At your place of employment, with your spouse and children, your friends?

Or do you split yourself into different characters, writing one way here, and talking like a normal personality in real life? I admit I am curious.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Or do you split yourself into different characters, writing one way here, and talking like a normal personality in real life? I admit I am curious.

I am one. It is the ego that 'you' are changing - so it is 'you' that is never the same.
The ego is the split.
The ego is the character that can be believed to be what you are.

And I am discussing a topic on here - if I were to discuss the same topic I would be discussing it in the same way everywhere - sharing, not fighting and defending.

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join